Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61754 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i do recommend at least checking out that album in full, i've basically sent the first and last 14ish minutes of it meaning there's a whole half of it left to hear  :P it honestly plays better as a whole than it does individual tracks

thank you scientist are also really great so i don't really mind losing to them  :lol
(i did a video about them! none of the songs you were sent made the cut, either, so the best is yet to come imo)

Offline HOF

Not last!

Congrats, twosuitsluke!

Offline 425

Oh man, I got my hopes up a bit after seeing I tied Cyril. But congratulations, Luke, on a well-deserved win! First one, right?

Revenge, glad you overcame the family prejudice against Metallica. The thing about a band as big is them is that everyone has an opinion on them, and often that opinion is based on only a certain part of what they do. I think it's really worth exploring their entire discography without any preconceived notions and with the awareness that there's probably going to be some stuff that you don't like. Hopefully these songs have inspired you to do just that. Glad you really got into that last instrumental part of One—just one of the best sections in all of metal, IMO.

In general, I was glad to get to introduce you to a lot of really cool stuff during this roulette, including a lot of stuff that you seemed to really like (I think you put two of my favorite songs period, The Poet and the Pendulum and The Great Escape, among your favorite submissions of the roulette). This was a fun one to participate in, regardless of how long it lasted, because of your enthusiasm and thoughtful writeups. And it's always fun to introduce someone to a lot of new material when they're closer to the beginning of their musical journey. Thanks for running this and sticking it out, and thanks for having me!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lethean

The time has finally come. Results 3/3 is now here!

---------------------------

Lethean
Angra

First impression: This is only the first time I've listened to this, but this could potentially end up as one of my favorite artists of the whole roulette.

Final review: Angra is so, so good. I could tell you to just go listen to it right now for proof of that and stop the review right here, but I’ve gotta do it some justice with my words! So, Angra makes progressive rock/metal music, and it has a unique aesthetic that I don’t usually hear in other music. The first time I heard “Carolina IV”, I thought it was great. I think what tipped me off that this band (or at least this song) was something special was that when the song ended (which is over 10 minutes, by the way), I was disappointed that it was over. And upon repeated listens, it just got better and better. I love how progressive this song is, in terms of the various styles and changes it goes through. It starts off pleasant and upbeat, but then it changes to being fast and more guitar-driven. The vocals in this song are amazing, and in general they’re amazing. There’s this absolutely beautiful part, where the vocals and music create this sort of dreamy atmosphere (“I’ve been such a fool, I’ve been so afraid”). The tempo drops as the song enters a great instrumental section, with a pretty good guitar solo. There’s a piano solo to cap it off, and then it slows down and the song stops… but it doesn’t end there! There’s not too much new after another energetic instrumental section (featuring an even better guitar solo than the last one!), but this song is so fantastic, it doesn’t really need any more ideas than what it’s already got. Now, Carolina IV is easily my favorite song out of what I’ve heard, but all four of these other songs are really great, too. “The Shadow Hunter” is another progressive track that’s somewhat lengthy. It’s not as energetic as Carolina IV, but it manages to be great through other means. The vocals on this song are really good as usual; there’s a section where the band quiets down a fair bit, and the following verse (“What does a man gain from his work?”) is just so good, and I wish it was longer. But there’s great instrumental work here, too. The highlights are the instrumental section following that verse I love so much, and there’s this really cool part at the end of the song that I feel could’ve been fleshed out more. They could’ve extended that part by two minutes, and I would’ve loved every second of it. To talk about one more song (because going into detail about every one could take a while), “Upper Levels” is another favorite of mine. It has this really cool bass intro, and it goes through some exciting changes from there, both heavy and melodic. And have I talked about how Angra songs always have good vocals? Because that’s just how it is with Angra songs. I had no specific expectations for Angra going in, but they are easily one of the best bands I’ve been sent in this entire roulette. Fantastic stuff. And because this review will only get longer, I’m just gonna end it here and ask that you please listen to this band now, especially if you never have before.

Carolina IV - 9.5/10
Acid Rain - 8.5/10
The Shadow Hunter - 9/10
Ego Painted Grey - 8.5/10
Upper Levels - 9/10

Roulette score: 8.9

:) :) :) :)

A reaction like this is why I participate in roulettes and is what I always hope for. I'm so glad you enjoyed Angra so much.  You're in for a treat exploring their catalog.  I tried to include a good variety of albums and you seem to enjoy it all, as I do.  Also, they're a great live band and I highly recommend seeing them when things eventually get back to normal.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Congrats ariich!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
i do recommend at least checking out that album in full, i've basically sent the first and last 14ish minutes of it meaning there's a whole half of it left to hear  :P it honestly plays better as a whole than it does individual tracks

thank you scientist are also really great so i don't really mind losing to them  :lol
(i did a video about them! none of the songs you were sent made the cut, either, so the best is yet to come imo)

Yeah, I want to give the whole album "On Strange Loops" a listen at some point.

I'll definitely check out your video on Thank You Scientist at some point, but first I want to listen to their discography; that way, I'd be able to compare your rankings to what my rankings would be.

Oh man, I got my hopes up a bit after seeing I tied Cyril. But congratulations, Luke, on a well-deserved win! First one, right?

Revenge, glad you overcame the family prejudice against Metallica. The thing about a band as big is them is that everyone has an opinion on them, and often that opinion is based on only a certain part of what they do. I think it's really worth exploring their entire discography without any preconceived notions and with the awareness that there's probably going to be some stuff that you don't like. Hopefully these songs have inspired you to do just that. Glad you really got into that last instrumental part of One—just one of the best sections in all of metal, IMO.

In general, I was glad to get to introduce you to a lot of really cool stuff during this roulette, including a lot of stuff that you seemed to really like (I think you put two of my favorite songs period, The Poet and the Pendulum and The Great Escape, among your favorite submissions of the roulette). This was a fun one to participate in, regardless of how long it lasted, because of your enthusiasm and thoughtful writeups. And it's always fun to introduce someone to a lot of new material when they're closer to the beginning of their musical journey. Thanks for running this and sticking it out, and thanks for having me!

I do want to check out Metallica's discography now, thanks to getting an opportunity to listen to it! Going through all of their albums should be interesting; I do know some things about Metallica's history despite being unfamiliar with the music itself until recently, and I've heard a lot that they've got some albums that a lot of people dislike. But I'll never know for myself if I don't try, right?

And I'm glad you could help introduce me to a variety of new music! I've always liked symphonic elements in music, but I think your submissions really helped me realize just how much I love that in music. Nice to know that we share a love for The Poet and the Pendulum (though if it's one of your all-time favorites, you probably love it way more than I do)! Also glad to hear you enjoyed my writeups! While it can be difficult to think of things to say sometimes, I enjoy writing my thoughts about music. I don't think I'm that great at it yet, but I want to keep writing to hopefully keep improving. And regarding that last part, you're welcome, and thank you for joining! :)

[Angra review]

:) :) :) :)

A reaction like this is why I participate in roulettes and is what I always hope for. I'm so glad you enjoyed Angra so much.  You're in for a treat exploring their catalog.  I tried to include a good variety of albums and you seem to enjoy it all, as I do.  Also, they're a great live band and I highly recommend seeing them when things eventually get back to normal.

I can imagine it's a satisfying payoff seeing high praise for what you've submitted. I absolutely want to listen to more of Angra's discography. I'll have to see if I can find any live videos of them, too!

Congrats ariich!

:lol

Offline Revenge319

Well, this is gonna be a long post.

Going over some other things, I first want to add in a proper ranking, but instead of showing the total scores for each player, I’ll instead list all the artists sent by each person. There’s a lot of artists that I listened to, and while you can find them all in the opening post, this is a good place to see who sent what, and in what round. Think of this like an ending credits, I suppose.

THE RANKINGS

1.  twosuitsluke (Coheed and Cambria / The Dear Hunter / The Black Mages / Mastodon / Thank You Scientist)
2.  425 (Nightwish / Kamelot / Seventh Wonder / Blind Guardian / Metallica)
3.  Cyril (The Hirsch Effekt / East of the Wall / Exist / A Novelist / Mithras)
4.  Buddyhunter1 (Devin Townsend / David Maxim Micic / Riverside / Anamanaguchi / Periphery)
5.  Evermind (Beyond the Bridge / Avantasia / Pain of Salvation / Ayreon / Iamthemorning)
6.  Lethean (Katatonia / Leprous / Riverside / Threshold / Angra)
7.  Elite (The Ocean / Wilderun / Pain of Salvation / Ulver / Cardiacs)
8.  romdrums (Genesis / IQ / Karnivool / Mastodon / Meshuggah)
9.  kingshmegland (Rush / Muse / Mile Marker Zero / Barock Project / The Pineapple Thief)
10. jingle.boy (Led Zeppelin / Pink Floyd / Queensryche / AC/DC / Trans-Siberian Orchestra)
11. Sacul (Anathema / Steven Wilson / Riverside / Portishead / Massive Attack)
12. TAC (UFO / Teramaze / Burden of Life / Fates Warning / Lost Domain)
13. Luoto (Amorphis / Ne Obliviscaris / Iced Earth / Fireproven / Wintersun)
14. MoraWintersoul (Chroma Key / Sonata Arctica / Queen / Conception / Unleash the Archers)
15. HOF (Journey / Kip Winger / Big Big Train / McStine & Minnemann / Mew)
16. Stadler (KISS / Iron Maiden / Deep Purple / Rainbow / Black Sabbath)
17. Puppies_On_Acid (Marillion / Moonsorrow / Oceansize / Arch/Matheos / Agalloch)
18. Anguyen92 (Alter Bridge / Switchfoot / Black Stone Cherry / Soundgarden / Within Temptation)
19. Nekov (Frost* / Alcest / Spock's Beard / Pure Reason Revolution)

I also wanted to make a list of my top 10 favorite songs from the entire roulette, but I don’t think I could make that in one day. Instead, what I’ll do is just post a list of my favorite songs which would all be worthy of a placement in the Top 10, and update the song’s ratings if they’re now different. (I will display the original score, then the new score. Example: 9 > 9.5. If only one score is shown, it hasn’t been changed since my original rating.) Also, all the new scores don’t affect the standings of the roulette, because it’d be kind of unfair to re-score some of the results, especially after the roulette is finished. And it'd be a lot of work, anyway.

- Hyperventilate (9.5)
- Black Light Machine (9.25)
- The Poet and the Pendulum (9.5)
- Forced Entry (8.5 > 9.5)
- Twisted Mind (9.5 > 9.75)
- A Night on the Town (9 > 9.5)
- The Apologist (9 > 9.5)
- Writhe (8.5 > 9)
- The Architect (8.75 > 9)
- Second Life Syndrome (9.25 > 10)
- Egoist Hedonist (8.75 > 9)
- Driven to Destruction (9 > 9.25)
- Dancing Mad (9.25 > 9.75)
- Voorhees (8.75 > 9.25)
- Caveat Lector (9)
- The Future Sound of Music (9.5)
- The Day That The World Breaks Down (9)
- Blood and Thunder (9.5)
- Capillarian Crest (9.25)
- The Wolf is Loose (9.75)
- The Czar (9.25 > 9.75)
- Comforting Sounds (9)
- Carolina IV (9.5)

And for the sake of trivia:

Highest-scoring song: Mastodon - The Wolf is Loose (9.75/10)
Lowest-scoring song: Unleash the Archers - Northwest Passage (6/10)

Highest-scoring submission: twosuitsluke - Mastodon (9.3)
Lowest-scoring submission: Stadler - KISS (6.4)

----------------------------------------------------------

It’s been a long journey, but we’ve finally reached the end. So, how do I feel about this roulette?

This whole thing was very, very worthwhile. Back before it all began, this was something I’d been considering doing for some time. I’d had a pretty rapid growth in what I listened to in the first half of 2020… but that was three new artists to add to three others that I’d frequently listened to. Throughout this roulette, I’ve gained exposure to 90 new artists. 90! Back in 2018, when what I listened to consisted of mainly Dream Theater, LTE, and a little bit of Between the Buried and Me here and there, knowing that I’d be listening to that many artists would’ve been insane to me. And now that I realize that that’s the actual number, it’s still a bit crazy to me. And the best part is, a large amount of these artists are ones that I’m interested in looking into further. If my counting is correct, I plan on looking into the discographies of 64 out of the 90 artists I listened to. And that’s another fascinating part of this roulette to me. I think I mentioned this before elsewhere on the forum, but there was a time where checking out new artists wasn’t a priority to me, because I figured “I’ve already got Dream Theater, and Dream Theater is the best, so what’s the point?” Discovering Haken, Porcupine Tree, and Transatlantic really helped me to change that mindset a little bit, and now running this roulette has pretty much shattered that line of thinking. Well, I still think Dream Theater is the best, but you get my point. :lol

I really enjoyed the selection of artists that you guys sent me. Sure, I didn’t love every one, but honestly, I’m glad I had the chance to listen to every single one of them, even the ones I found underwhelming. And the diversity, too… Of course, there was a lot of prog, since this is a Dream Theater forum and I enjoy prog a lot. But I also heard some stuff other than that, like electronic music, hard rock, death metal, and whatever in the world Cardiacs is supposed to be. I also enjoyed how a lot of you guys were consistent in what you sent. 425 sent a lot of symphonic metal, Cyril sent a lot of hardcore metal, Stadler and jingle.boy sent a lot of classic rock/metal… The list goes on. And while there may have been a few artists that I didn’t exactly care for, the vast majority were ones that I enjoyed a lot. And there were quite a few artists that made me think, “Where have you been my whole life?”. Riverside, Angra, Devin Townsend, East of the Wall, Cardiacs, pretty much everything that Luke sent… Needless to say, there are a lot of artists here I love.

And of course, there’s another thing I have to mention. This took WAY longer than I anticipated. Looking at the roulette FAQ prior to starting the roulette, I was under the impression that the expectation always was that you needed to complete each round within a week. I even made a calendar showing when I would need to get out results, impressions, etc., and if I’d stuck to that schedule, this would’ve been over on November 1st of last year. At the same time, though, if I stuck to that schedule, I’d be so burnt out on the roulette that I might not have even bothered to finish it. Having said that, I did take a very long time. I could have done a better job of staying committed to the roulette and being efficient enough to get things done in a decent amount of time. In hindsight, though, I will also say that one week was too short. I got Round 1 done in a week, but I also think that had its own downsides. Mainly, there were a couple artists that I’d only listened to twice, and I had to form my opinion on just those two listens because I felt it was necessary to get every round done in a week or less. Taking too long in the later rounds at least gave me time to properly absorb the artists and get a solid opinion on them. But anyway, I know this is about the 30th time I’ve felt that I should apologize for something in this roulette, but I really am sorry that I took so long to get this thing done.

Before I wrap this up, I want to briefly mention something I talked about back in Round 1 (or even before Round 1 started, I think). There was something I was working on that I said would be complete by the time the roulette is over. That has been scrapped, because I soon realized it was really boring and nobody would be interested in it; it’s really not even worth mentioning.
However! I will be working on something else, which won’t be complete anytime soon, but the plan is to have it done by the end of the year. This thing being a huge list of all the artists I’ve discovered in the past two years, and they will all be ranked and reviewed. I won’t have a lot to say about every artist (I don’t really have any interest in listening to more Massive Attack, for instance, so a review of that would be pretty short). But this is something I think would be worthwhile to do, and I think since a majority of these artists will be ones I discovered from this roulette, maybe you guys might be interested in reading such a list.

Well, that’s all the main things I wanted to talk about, reflecting on my time doing this roulette. It feels great to finally see this through to the end. Do I want to do another roulette in the future? Absolutely. Like I said, this was very, very worthwhile. Next time, though, I will definitely change some things (such as limiting the number of participants so I don’t have 19 people sending me a whole bunch of music), which should help me stay engaged and keep everyone else from waiting too long for results. But that’s not gonna be for a long time. It’s very relieving to finally not have this weighing on me, plus I’ve got a lot of discographies to listen to!

Lastly… Thank you to every single one of you who participated in this roulette. You all helped amazingly in expanding my musical horizons, and that is something I’ll always be grateful for. I really enjoy this community, and hosting the roulette has also been great for interacting with you all. Please feel free to tell me any thoughts you have about my roulette, the artists/songs I was sent, me myself, or just anything relevant, I suppose. Again, thank you all for participating. :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
4th place, woo! Not bad for a roulette with 19 people. :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
One thing I've learned from this roulette (and other roulettes too) is Buddy and I seem to have very similar tastes in music, regarding what artists we do and don't like, but very different opinions on favorite songs by those artists.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, been a busy day!

First off thanks for running this, it's been a blast. Don't sweat how long it took. Yes, most roulettes are shorter, but most have less participants and are limited to one song per round. You had your work cut out for you with the amount of music you had to review. It was your first roulette! I know I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for with my first one.

Just want to say, so glad you dug the Metallica S&M songs. That is my favourite live album of all time! Metallica were to me what Dream Theater are to you. I listened pretty much exclusively to them, for the first year I got into them. They are just an incredible band and they offer so much over their career. I'd have been fine with losing out to those songs.

But fuck, I actually won a roulette! It's only taken me like 5 years or something, and probably 15 roulettes (maybe more). I've probably participated in a roulette of every single person who entered this roulette!

I'm so glad you dug what I sent. Out of the 5 bands, two (The Dear Hunter and Thank You, Scientist) are ones that I'd never heard a note of, before joining DTF. You've really been given a 'who's who' of so many bands that are dissected all over DTF. You'll be able to jump in on all the threads now, knowing who all the bands are. I expect to see you all over DTF.

I'm actually quite jealous of you getting to explore all these bands for the first time. You've also made me want to get around to checking out Cardiacs. I've been meaning to for a while but they're not on Spotify!

Now I've won a roulette I can have my name highlighted in green right? That's what this was all for  :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
One thing I've learned from this roulette (and other roulettes too) is Buddy and I seem to have very similar tastes in music, regarding what artists we do and don't like, but very different opinions on favorite songs by those artists.  :corn

Heh, I don't know any other examples outside of Agalloch, but you're probably right. :lol

You didn't send them but I guess on that topic I wouldn't have gone with any of those Thank You Scientist songs. I probably would have went with:

Caverns
Mr. Invisible
My Famed Disappearing Act
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm used to no one liking my TYS picks  :lol

I think A Salesman's Guide to Non-Existentence is hands down their best song, but I can't find a single other person who seems to even rate it, at all.

Caverns nearly made the cut though.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I'm used to no one liking my TYS picks  :lol

I think A Salesman's Guide to Non-Existentence is hands down their best song, but I can't find a single other person who seems to even rate it, at all.

That song and FXMLDR are both good songs but not among their best, IMO. Psychopomp is pretty underrated though; might be the best song on that album outside of Caverns and Mr. Invisible.

Offline Revenge319

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, been a busy day!

First off thanks for running this, it's been a blast. Don't sweat how long it took. Yes, most roulettes are shorter, but most have less participants and are limited to one song per round. You had your work cut out for you with the amount of music you had to review. It was your first roulette! I know I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for with my first one.

Just want to say, so glad you dug the Metallica S&M songs. That is my favourite live album of all time! Metallica were to me what Dream Theater are to you. I listened pretty much exclusively to them, for the first year I got into them. They are just an incredible band and they offer so much over their career. I'd have been fine with losing out to those songs.

But fuck, I actually won a roulette! It's only taken me like 5 years or something, and probably 15 roulettes (maybe more). I've probably participated in a roulette of every single person who entered this roulette!

I'm so glad you dug what I sent. Out of the 5 bands, two (The Dear Hunter and Thank You, Scientist) are ones that I'd never heard a note of, before joining DTF. You've really been given a 'who's who' of so many bands that are dissected all over DTF. You'll be able to jump in on all the threads now, knowing who all the bands are. I expect to see you all over DTF.

I'm actually quite jealous of you getting to explore all these bands for the first time. You've also made me want to get around to checking out Cardiacs. I've been meaning to for a while but they're not on Spotify!

Now I've won a roulette I can have my name highlighted in green right? That's what this was all for  :lol

Congrats again on winning, you really earned it! :)

There's a lot of artists I'm excited to get into, but three of the artists you sent are top-priority for me (The Dear Hunter, Mastodon, and Thank You Scientist). Well, I've already started exploring Mastodon; I already own "Crack the Skye" on CD (thank you to romdrums for sending them, too!). And yeah, I do have a better understanding of a lot of the names I've seen on here. And I've probably said something like this already, but there's quite a few artists that I never would've guessed I'd enjoy so much. And there's a couple artists that I've heard before but was finally able to get into thanks to the roulette, like Pink Floyd and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Among other threads, I imagine I'll be active in the "What album are you listening to?" thread, that's for sure!

And regarding Metallica, I'm pretty interested in seeing what they have to offer. I think I've kind of been interested in listening to Metallica for a couple years now, but never really felt a reason to go do it until now. I remember seeing you mention you loved Metallica elsewhere on the forum, so I was a bit surprised that you never sent them. Looks like it all worked out, though!

Also pretty cool that I was able to interest you in checking out Cardiacs! Although I suppose you should also thank Elite for that.

Thanks again for joining the roulette!

You didn't send them but I guess on that topic I wouldn't have gone with any of those Thank You Scientist songs. I probably would have went with:

Caverns
Mr. Invisible
My Famed Disappearing Act

I'll keep these three songs in mind when I go through Thank You Scientist's discography!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Congrats luke! Sad you didn't dig Massive Attack that much, oh well. Glad to have participated and hopefully at least expanded your horizons a little bit :)

Offline Revenge319

Congrats luke! Sad you didn't dig Massive Attack that much, oh well. Glad to have participated and hopefully at least expanded your horizons a little bit :)

I'm glad you sent Portishead and Massive Attack. Their genre of music is one that I'm not sure I've ever heard in my life, so it was still really cool to be able to listen to something completely new even if it wasn't something I loved. Thanks again for joining the roulette!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
the three TYS songs i would've sent would definitely have been the top 3 on my video, so i'm not gonna say -which- yet, but the order i would've sent them in:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Elite
Cardiacs

First impression: This is some of the strangest and most insane music I've ever listened to.

Final review: Before, I didn’t even know it was possible for a band like this to exist. The music that these people make is so bizarre and insane. This is nothing like anything I’ve ever heard in my life. But you know what? Something like this is perfectly fine by me, because I really like this. I have no idea whether I should be surprised by that, but I’m certainly not complaining. It’s honestly hard to describe what the music actually is, just because of how unique it is. I mean, I guess you could call it some form of rock, but Cardiacs doesn’t feel like any particular genre. Cardiacs is just… Cardiacs. That’s all there is to it. “She is Hiding Behind the Shed” is as good a showcase as any as to what this band does. It starts out normally enough with an energetic keyboard riff, but then the first verse begins and you’re treated to the vocalists singing/yelling. The vocals are strange, but they’re charming and fit in really well with the music. The music is consistently really catchy, and this song in particular is something of an earworm. “Dog-Like Sparky” is very absurdist not just with its music, but also with its lyrics. Not that the other songs have normal lyrics, but this one’s really over-the-top. One thing I really enjoy about this song musically, which I wish I heard in more songs, is a constant change in tempo. It starts out slow in the first verse, then the chorus gradually gets faster, then it gets slow again as it goes to the next verse. There’s some parts with a female singer (at least, it sounds feminine; I can never be too sure with Cardiacs) that really mess with the tempo, and it’s just so good. “Duck and Roger the Horse” is the craziest out of all the songs I’ve heard. It’s just shy of four minutes of erratic, enjoyable madness. This is a song that I can’t really describe at all beyond that; you just have to hear it to figure out what’s going on here. “Dirty Boy” is the most normal song here, but it’s certainly got that eccentric charm that makes Cardiacs so great. The last two minutes or so of this song is really interesting. It sounds like when the singer ends the last verse, he just keeps holding the last note for the rest of the song. And it’s a pretty high and loud note, so if that was actually done in one take for two minutes straight, that is VERY impressive. That’s a word to describe this artist as a whole for me, too. For how bizarre Cardiacs is, I really enjoy this. This is basically the antithesis to my mentality on listening to music before doing this roulette. Before, I thought that I may as well just stick with my favorites, because I’ve pretty much seen all there is in terms of good music. Cardiacs proves that not only is that statement wrong, but also that I don’t think I’ll ever truly see everything there is in music in general, unless I were to literally listen to every song by every artist ever made.

She is Hiding Behind the Shed - 8.5/10
Dog-Like Sparky - 8.75/10
Duck and Roger the Horse - 8.25/10
Dirty Boy - 8.5/10

Roulette score: 8.5

Thanks for taking the time to actually process this; maybe the 2-3 extra months might have been good for your impression of this music :lol

Cardiacs, even though they don't exist anymore, have gradually grown to be one of my favourite bands based on the material they have released. They sound unlike anything I've heard and that's largely due to their unique approach to song-writing. The first song of their I eve heard was The Duck and Roger the Horse (thanks, LordCost!) in the first round of my last roulette and that remains probably one of the best things sent to me in that roulette, because it led to me discovering this band.

Out of the four I sent, Dirty Boy is my favourite, and that one has a good chance to be my favourite Cardiacs song as well, althogh I haven't even heard all of their stuff yet. I own five albums by the band and bought them from the webstore. Until recently that was the only way to listen to them, I believe some (all?) stuff has been uploaded to Spotify since Tim Smith's (the frontman and chief writer of the group) passing a few months ago. Although not all of their music is as crazy as The Duck and Roger the Horse, there's certainly some other songs in their catalog that will have you wondering what the hell is going on.

As for albums, I recommend you start with Sing to God,  but all of them are charming in some way.

Thanks for having me in your roulette, I hope you'll enjoy some of the artists I have sent :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Revenge319

[Cardiacs review]

Thanks for taking the time to actually process this; maybe the 2-3 extra months might have been good for your impression of this music :lol

Cardiacs, even though they don't exist anymore, have gradually grown to be one of my favourite bands based on the material they have released. They sound unlike anything I've heard and that's largely due to their unique approach to song-writing. The first song of their I eve heard was The Duck and Roger the Horse (thanks, LordCost!) in the first round of my last roulette and that remains probably one of the best things sent to me in that roulette, because it led to me discovering this band.

Out of the four I sent, Dirty Boy is my favourite, and that one has a good chance to be my favourite Cardiacs song as well, althogh I haven't even heard all of their stuff yet. I own five albums by the band and bought them from the webstore. Until recently that was the only way to listen to them, I believe some (all?) stuff has been uploaded to Spotify since Tim Smith's (the frontman and chief writer of the group) passing a few months ago. Although not all of their music is as crazy as The Duck and Roger the Horse, there's certainly some other songs in their catalog that will have you wondering what the hell is going on.

As for albums, I recommend you start with Sing to God,  but all of them are charming in some way.

Thanks for having me in your roulette, I hope you'll enjoy some of the artists I have sent :)

Honestly, it only took me one listen of "She is Hiding Behind the Shed" to know that Cardiacs was going to be something I really liked. This is definitely a band whose discography I want to go further into, and I'm excited to see just how many times they can leave me astounded at how crazy things get. I'll take your recommendation of Sing to God into consideration!

Thanks again for joining the roulette! Aside from Cardiacs, I'm interested in checking out more from The Ocean, Pain of Salvation, and Ulver. Maybe I'll try out more of Wilderun's stuff at some point, too. :)