Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61728 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Holy grail (R4 results 2/3)
« Reply #1365 on: December 06, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
All right, I've submitted round 5.  After four rounds, I've decided not go with American Radio Hard Rock/Alt Rock (even from the 90s) for this one.  I considered it and I had a lot of bands on my mind to pick, but ehhhh, I'm opted against it for once.  So for round 5, I'm taking this outside of NA.

Offline 425

« Reply #1366 on: December 06, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
The plot thickens... by my reckoning, the extra special artist is one of:

Ayreon
Blind Guardian
Conception
Mastodon
Portishead
Ulver

And from the top 5 songs thread, it seems like two of the songs from this round are potentially among Revenge's favorite songs of all time. Very interesting...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1367 on: December 06, 2020, 08:27:33 PM »
And from the top 5 songs thread, it seems like two of the songs from this round are potentially among Revenge's favorite songs of all time. Very interesting...

nah it's this

Nope (although I certainly love Haken as well). [REDACTED] is something I've never talked about before on this forum. I mean, I guess there's that secret message I hid somewhere, but considering how fast people here can complete a Hangman, they'll easily figure out a secret message if they know about it.
                                                                                                                                                  Oh, wait, did I say that out loud...?

Offline 425

« Reply #1368 on: December 06, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
True, good call.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1369 on: December 06, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
Sent for round 5. Taking a calculated risk.....again :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1370 on: December 06, 2020, 09:01:06 PM »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1371 on: December 06, 2020, 09:23:06 PM »
Glad you enjoyed Threshold. :) How was the length of the submission?  I thought I might have been pushing it but there were so many songs that I wanted to send.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1372 on: December 06, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
Glad you enjoyed Threshold. :) How was the length of the submission?  I thought I might have been pushing it but there were so many songs that I wanted to send.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. My round 5 submission is 40 minutes...... :lol But I'll be damned if I don't go out in a blaze of glory!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: December 06, 2020, 11:27:44 PM »
Oh well, glad I didn't send Arch/Matheos then. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1374 on: December 07, 2020, 12:44:42 AM »
Oh well, glad I didn't send Arch/Matheos then. :biggrin:
I took that bullet for you buddy :marriageanalogy:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1375 on: December 07, 2020, 02:33:00 AM »
Have I sent for the next round yet?
No, not yet.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1376 on: December 07, 2020, 02:43:16 AM »
The plot thickens... by my reckoning, the extra special artist is one of:

Ayreon
Blind Guardian
Conception
Mastodon
Portishead
Ulver

Oh, no, that song I mentioned earlier in this thread was potentially my favorite song in just the whole roulette (which by the way, that song I was talking about actually got overshadowed by one or two others but is still easily one of the best in this whole roulette). The stuff I was talking about in the "Top 5 songs of all time" thread was talking about something unrelated. Cyril was correct when mentioning it to you, but I thought I'd also clarify this myself.

But speaking of all-time favorites, I will say this, though... It's not from this round, but there is one song from this roulette that I'd score a lot higher now than I did when I scored it for results. And it already got a rather good score. I'll reveal that at a later date...

The submission length wasn't bad at all. It only came to about 32 minutes, which is around the average submission length I tend to get.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:48:26 AM by Revenge319 »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1377 on: December 07, 2020, 03:49:46 AM »
So when are Mastodon getting all the 10/10s then?

In regards to the artist you are reluctant to reveal, is it because you are embarrassed about it? Because you shouldn't be! You've seen some of the trash that some people on this forum listen to :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 04:12:32 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Holy grail (R4 results 1/3)
« Reply #1378 on: December 07, 2020, 06:54:52 AM »
Lol I knew the All Night Long lyrics were going to get dinged :biggrin:

Knowing Roger Glover (a die-hard hippie from the 60's) I always assumed they were meant to be funny, written in a time when jokes were made like that, but while the riff is even better than ever, those lyrics are tough to listen to.   And live versions are even worse (Graham Bonnet typically ad-libbed them to be even more crass).

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1379 on: December 07, 2020, 07:06:19 AM »
So when are Mastodon getting all the 10/10s then?

In regards to the artist you are reluctant to reveal, is it because you are embarrassed about it? Because you shouldn't be! You've seen some of the trash that some people on this forum listen to :neverusethis:
I won't comment about that first question about Mastodon, you'll have to wait and see what happens there.  :-X

As for your other question, it's not so much that I'm embarrassed about it, but rather it's that I don't want to risk being ostracized by people here for it. I mean, I can trust that at least a majority of the forum wouldn't shun me for it, but I'm just naturally scared to bring it up... Mainly because people have put me down for it before.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1380 on: December 07, 2020, 07:24:06 AM »
As for your other question, it's not so much that I'm embarrassed about it, but rather it's that I don't want to risk being ostracized by people here for it. I mean, I can trust that at least a majority of the forum wouldn't shun me for it, but I'm just naturally scared to bring it up... Mainly because people have put me down for it before.

and people haven't put you down for liking Dream Theater before? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1381 on: December 07, 2020, 07:25:42 AM »
Dude I flaunt how big a Britney Spears fan I am and regularly shit on prog and metal on this forum. Let your freak flag fly
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: December 07, 2020, 07:29:06 AM »
Yeah, I mean, I don't want to encourage you to drop the kimono only for you to get abuse, but I'm with Mike on this.  I have no "guilty pleasures"; I like what I like, and if someone doesn't like that, they can blow me.    I'm an unabashed Kiss fan, with no apologies.   I love the two Harry Styles solo albums (and even saw him live in MSG on his last tour), and I'm growing in my admiration of Taylor Swift.    I'm also unapologetic about my love for country, particularly outlaw country (Waylon Jennings is as good a singer/guitar player as anyone in the prog genre, IMO.  He just plays a different kind of music).   

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1383 on: December 07, 2020, 07:35:15 AM »
Dude I flaunt how big a Britney Spears fan I am and regularly shit on prog and metal on this forum. Let your freak flag fly

What Walrus said!

I mean, no pressure, and it sucks that people have made you feel bad about music you like, but I think you're probably aware it's not like that around here (unless in obvious jest). I mean there are people on here who like Ed Sheeran, but I still wouldn't ostracize them.

Fuck the haters! Weathered by Creed is one of my all time favourite albums and I think Iron Maiden and Rush are overrated.

I'm just really curious at this point.

It's not Ed Sheeran is it?!  :lol

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1384 on: December 07, 2020, 07:56:08 AM »

and people haven't put you down for liking Dream Theater before? :lol

Not that I can recall! :lol
Though now that you mention it, it is surprising that I haven't been in that situation when it comes to Dream Theater.

Yeah, I mean, I don't want to encourage you to drop the kimono only for you to get abuse, but I'm with Mike on this.  I have no "guilty pleasures"; I like what I like, and if someone doesn't like that, they can blow me.    I'm an unabashed Kiss fan, with no apologies.   I love the two Harry Styles solo albums (and even saw him live in MSG on his last tour), and I'm growing in my admiration of Taylor Swift.    I'm also unapologetic about my love for country, particularly outlaw country (Waylon Jennings is as good a singer/guitar player as anyone in the prog genre, IMO.  He just plays a different kind of music).   

Fair enough! I know I might be coming across as dramatic here, and maybe I am, but I've always been nervous about this kind of stuff.

What Walrus said!

I mean, no pressure, and it sucks that people have made you feel bad about music you like, but I think you're probably aware it's not like that around here (unless in obvious jest). I mean there are people on here who like Ed Sheeran, but I still wouldn't ostracize them.

Fuck the haters! Weathered by Creed is one of my all time favourite albums and I think Iron Maiden and Rush are overrated.

Nah, not him. It'd be kinda funny if it was, though, eh? :lol
And yeah, I've become aware that people aren't like that on this forum, which I think is really nice.

Well, you guys have encouraged me enough that I will definitely reveal this someday soon. Again, sorry if I'm coming across as overly dramatic or something, I'm not trying to be.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: December 07, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »

What Walrus said!

Loser.

:) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: December 07, 2020, 08:27:17 AM »
I think Iron Maiden and Rush are overrated.

Um...

...I can understand you not liking them, but Rush and Iron Maiden being overrated doesn't even make sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1387 on: December 07, 2020, 08:53:55 AM »
Not to derail the thread but yes, I think they're overrated. I get that others like them. They are a big deal for metal breaking through to the mainstream and a gateway band for so many people. In another lifetime that would've been me, I'm sure. However, my gateway band was Metallica. They define what metal is, for me. It's almost like all the bands that came before were laying the groundwork and Metallica perfected it.

But let's not for a minute try to say that something being popular means it can't be thought of as overrated. To put what I'm saying into perspective, Baby Shark currently has 7.3 Billion views on YouTube.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:04:09 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1388 on: December 07, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
Not to derail the thread but yes, I think they're overrated. I get that others like them. They are a big deal for metal breaking through to the mainstream and a gateway band for so many people. In another lifetime that would've been me, I'm sure. However, my gateway band was Metallica they define what metal is, for me. It's almost like all the bands that came before were laying the groundwork and Metallica perfected it.

As the user Max Kuehnau once said, "it's the DTF Derailment Algorithm (TM)". :lol I don't mind at all! Results 3/3 is going pretty slowly, so if there's any time to go off-topic, it's at times like these.
It's always interesting hearing discussions about bands whose music I don't know, anyway. There's a lot of famous bands I've never heard a single song from, and if it weren't for this roulette, that'd include bands like Led Zeppelin, Queensrÿche, and KISS.
Well, I think I heard Stairway to Heaven once years ago, but I remember absolutely nothing about it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1389 on: December 07, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
I look at Baby Shark like Cell Phones and Credit cards.  My parents generation always have to have cash in their pockets and I don't. I use my CC and other items like DD apps for coffee or EZ Pass for tolls.  My parents generation can't figure out cell phones to save their lives.

That's how I look at Baby Shark.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1390 on: December 07, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
I don't even know WTF Baby Shark is. I've never heard of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: December 07, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »

I don't even know WTF EZ Pass is. I've never heard of it.  See, just like our parents.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1392 on: December 07, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »

TAC, do you have a keyboard macro that allows you to make this post about pretty much anything? Like, are you able hit Ctrl+Alt+T and you get: "I don't even know WTF _____ is. I've never heard of it."  I swear that's like half of your post count.   ;D :D ;) :lol
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: December 07, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »

TAC, do you have a keyboard macro that allows you to make this post about pretty much anything? Like, are you able hit Ctrl+Alt+T and you get: "I don't even know WTF _____ is. I've never heard of it."  I swear that's like half of your post count.   ;D :D ;) :lol

The other half is "DTF is my Facebook!" posts. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1394 on: December 07, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »

The other half is "DTF is my Facebook!" posts. :lol
OMG,  :rollin I am dying here!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1395 on: December 07, 2020, 10:01:05 AM »

If only there was some way you could find out??  ???

I worked in a residential children's home for over 3 years so I'm over familiar unfortunately

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1396 on: December 07, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »

Absolutely! Music exists for enjoyment. People are free to enjoy whatever they want. There's way too much good music out there, so don't limit your tastes based on what you think you should like.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: December 07, 2020, 11:22:47 AM »
I'd never thought fans of Britney Spears as freaks.   :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: December 07, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »
Not to derail the thread but yes, I think they're overrated. I get that others like them. They are a big deal for metal breaking through to the mainstream and a gateway band for so many people. In another lifetime that would've been me, I'm sure. However, my gateway band was Metallica. They define what metal is, for me. It's almost like all the bands that came before were laying the groundwork and Metallica perfected it.

But let's not for a minute try to say that something being popular means it can't be thought of as overrated. To put what I'm saying into perspective, Baby Shark currently has 7.3 Billion views on YouTube.

I get the difference you're talking about (popularity), but I think it's more fundamental than that.  I don't think there's a Metallica if there's not an Iron Maiden.  Baby Shark is a pander and a sellout; Maiden did it with little compromise.  Harris in particular steered that ship where he wanted it to go, full stop, and if you didn't like it - Paul, Bruce, Adrian - you were free to leave.   

I think if anything, given their sort of underground status - NO awards show appearances, NO Super Bowl/event appearances, NO TV presence to speak of, NO "outside of music" presence to speak of (like Lars' Napster nonsense) - they are UNDERRATED if you really want to say it.  They tour arenas and stadiums with no album release, just because.

(And in case no one got it, the "loser" above was a joke about ragging on someone for their musical tastes. It was purely in jest.)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1399 on: December 07, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
I get the difference you're talking about (popularity), but I think it's more fundamental than that.  I don't think there's a Metallica if there's not an Iron Maiden.  Baby Shark is a pander and a sellout; Maiden did it with little compromise.  Harris in particular steered that ship where he wanted it to go, full stop, and if you didn't like it - Paul, Bruce, Adrian - you were free to leave.   

I think if anything, given their sort of underground status - NO awards show appearances, NO Super Bowl/event appearances, NO TV presence to speak of, NO "outside of music" presence to speak of (like Lars' Napster nonsense) - they are UNDERRATED if you really want to say it.  They tour arenas and stadiums with no album release, just because.

(And in case no one got it, the "loser" above was a joke about ragging on someone for their musical tastes. It was purely in jest.)

Dude, it's cool, I didn't take offense at the Loser thing, I knew you were joking. I was literally trying to reassure Revenge that it's ok to have your opinions on music, and voice them here. I'd have looked pretty silly if I'd have gotten all offended over someone taking the piss out of my opinion  :lol

As for Maiden, I get it, they worked hard to get where they are and to be playing the arena shows, around the world, they play. Regardless of how they got there though, I still think they are overrated. There are artists selling our arenas like Maiden that haven't had the 'no compromise' attitude and have been promoted and had the media fully behind them. I would potentially find them equally as overrated as Maiden. This isn't really a discussion about how they got there.

Stads, I thought you (as someone who often loves the album or the song, that others shit on) would see where I'm coming from. If popularity negates whether an individual can think something is over or underrated, then everything (as it's viewed by the majority) is rated exactly as it should be. So that album or song you love and feel is underrated by the fan base? Nope it's not underrated, it's rated trash, exactly as the majority of the fanbase sees it. The popularity of it deems it so.

This may be the ramblings of a man who is currently functioning on very little sleep, but there is a coherent point here somewhere.

Lastly, my original comment was to show Revenge that it's ok to speak your mind on music, even if some people will massively disagree. I guess I was looking to voice some of my more controversial opinions, so went with dissing Maiden and Rush (I guess it worked). But it was all in the name of good old fashioned debate.

Love to you all  :heart