Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61512 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Holy grail (R4 results 1/3)
« Reply #1330 on: December 02, 2020, 10:22:51 AM »
my parents would usually listen to stuff that was modern at the time. But they did play some old/classic stuff, and AC/DC was one of the classic bands they’d play.

So AC/DC - a band I grew up with mostly in real time - is "classic" to your PARENTS?    Honey, get my walker, I need to have a word with this kid!    :) :) :) 

I’m just overall surprised at how much I like this band today. Not that it’s one of my favorites, but considering my musical tastes and standards nowadays, I was somewhat expecting this to be a band on the level of KISS, if not worse.

Wait, what?   Honey!!!!!!   

(Revenge, I'm totally kidding!)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1331 on: December 02, 2020, 10:28:28 AM »
my parents would usually listen to stuff that was modern at the time. But they did play some old/classic stuff, and AC/DC was one of the classic bands they’d play.

So AC/DC - a band I grew up with mostly in real time - is "classic" to your PARENTS?    Honey, get my walker, I need to have a word with this kid!    :) :) :) 

I’m just overall surprised at how much I like this band today. Not that it’s one of my favorites, but considering my musical tastes and standards nowadays, I was somewhat expecting this to be a band on the level of KISS, if not worse.

Wait, what?   Honey!!!!!!   

(Revenge, I'm totally kidding!)

:lol
Well, I think in the 2000s (and especially now in 2020), it'd be reasonable to call AC/DC "classic", at least as opposed to calling them "modern". Certainly interesting to hear your perspective on it, though! :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1332 on: December 02, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
I think you'd like Endless Fantasy (the album) - it's pretty bloated but it leans more into the traditional video game sound and has less weird sampling / noises. [USA] is my favorite though, so give it at least one listen!

Also, before you count Pure Reason Revolution out, give the songs Silent Genesis and Ghosts And Typhoons a listen. As I said earlier, their latest album is great, and Maelstrom is one of the least interesting songs on it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1333 on: December 02, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
Ah, man, I thought you’d like the McStine & Minnemann a little more than that. To me the hooks and songwriting are great. Short, catchy, but also lots of interesting playing. A different approach to prog (if you want to call it that). Still probably my favorite album released this year.

And now I see they didn’t top AC/DC!

Seriously though, check out the whole album if you get a chance. It’s only about 35-40 minutes long.

Alright, I may as well check 'em out. If my observation about them at least having a lot of good ideas is something that permeates throughout the album, maybe I will find something I really like!

I think you'd like Endless Fantasy (the album) - it's pretty bloated but it leans more into the traditional video game sound and has less weird sampling / noises. [USA] is my favorite though, so give it at least one listen!

Also, before you count Pure Reason Revolution out, give the songs Silent Genesis and Ghosts And Typhoons a listen. As I said earlier, their latest album is great, and Maelstrom is one of the least interesting songs on it.

I'll keep those recommendations in mind, both for Anamanaguchi and Pure Reason Revolution.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1334 on: December 02, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »
hmm. at this point, i might hold my ground with the last one then, just for kicks. i still think it's so fundamentally different from everything i've sent so far that you won't like it though. i'll think about it  :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1335 on: December 02, 2020, 11:23:38 AM »
hmm. at this point, i might hold my ground with the last one then, just for kicks. i still think it's so fundamentally different from everything i've sent so far that you won't like it though. i'll think about it  :lol

He liked A Novelist, I don't think you can go wrong! :neverusethis:

I kid, though you have proven he has a greater capacity for heavy music than I was expecting. I might have to factor that into who I send for the final round.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1336 on: December 02, 2020, 11:31:01 AM »
my goal was to see how far i could push it before needing to tone it back and my prediction was that this would be the one that was too far between how aggro they are + how often they use dissonance in their sound

turns out it was not too far  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: December 02, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »
If Stads had sent only Stargazer and Gates of Babylon, he would've been golden 100%.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1338 on: December 02, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
my goal was to see how far i could push it before needing to tone it back and my prediction was that this would be the one that was too far between how aggro they are + how often they use dissonance in their sound

Send Warforged

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: December 02, 2020, 11:39:59 AM »
Well, I knew it was a somewhat risky submission. I'd recommend you listen to the first and last albums of the band. The first one works a lot better as a whole than by single songs. The two in the middle are a different beast with songs that are similar to Deus ex Machina. I get what you say about the pronunciation, I threw me off the first time I listened to it. However, I think he had to push it so that he could sing in and not break the rhythm or the melody.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1340 on: December 02, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »

Send Warforged
nah i don't like that to quite the same degree as the stuff i've been sending, even if it's very good

Offline 425

« Reply #1341 on: December 02, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »
At this point, I am beginning to suspect that there is a conspiracy going on to alienate the masses from really good music, and Cyril is a sort of prophet who is spreading the truth… Only joking!

And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1342 on: December 02, 2020, 12:57:12 PM »
the holy guide of the 4/10

to be fair everything i've sent so far is off albums i'd call 5*, 9.5+/10 albums save for exist, which is a 4.5*, 9/10 album which would be 5*s if Vessel didn't exist or was shorter

on top of it feeling out of place it also lost me a roulette, so i'm kinda mad at it forever now :getoffmylawn:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1343 on: December 02, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »
Lol I knew the All Night Long lyrics were going to get dinged :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1344 on: December 02, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
If Stads had sent only Stargazer and Gates of Babylon, he would've been golden 100%.

Pretty much!!   :)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1345 on: December 02, 2020, 02:25:47 PM »
The chances that Mastodon are the band you've been obsessed with just increased substantially...

*whale hunting intensifies*

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1346 on: December 02, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »
The chances that Mastodon are the band you've been obsessed with just increased substantially...

*whale hunting intensifies*

:metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1347 on: December 04, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »
Status update: Results 2/3 should hopefully be here soon-ish, I'm just trying to figure out how to convey my thoughts on a couple artists.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1348 on: December 04, 2020, 01:32:59 PM »
I know one artist you can convey with a big red 10! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1349 on: December 04, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
I know one artist you can convey with a big red 10! ;D

Yep, that's right!!

Dream Theater, of course.  ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1350 on: December 04, 2020, 02:40:28 PM »
Tim loves a "Big Red 10" I'd bet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1351 on: December 04, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
Tim loves a "Big Black 10" I'd bet.
Fixed that for Tim.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1352 on: December 04, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: December 04, 2020, 04:59:27 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1354 on: December 04, 2020, 05:02:11 PM »
What are you guys doing?? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: December 04, 2020, 05:09:53 PM »
Oh you know. Giving it to you.

The business.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1356 on: December 05, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »
I think we've been bamboozled and hoodwinked! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1357 on: December 05, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »

"Soon-ish" was a bit vague... I should've been more specific. My plan was to get these out either today or tomorrow. Most likely it'll be tomorrow, but depending on how much I feel like being useful for once, it could be today. I've already got one writeup finished, just gotta get to the rest.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: December 05, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »

"Soon-ish" was a bit vague... I should've been more specific. My plan was to get these out either today or tomorrow. Most likely it'll be tomorrow, but depending on how much I feel like being useful for once, it could be today. I've already got one writeup finished, just gotta get to the rest.

Balderdash!! :lol

Offline Revenge319

Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Holy grail (R4 results 2/3)
« Reply #1359 on: December 06, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »
More Round 4 results.

---------------------------

TAC
Fates Warning

First impression: Pretty good stuff. Strange, I thought they had a "z" in their name…

Final review: Alright, I need to do a better job at these hints in my first impression; between this and the Spock’s Beard hint, I think I’m making it look like I don’t know some obvious things… I do know the whole story behind “Fatez Warning” appearing on the credits of Images & Words, so sorry if I worried you or anything, TAC. Anyway, onto Fates Warning… They’ve taken some time to grow on me, but I think they’re quite good indeed. Compared to Queensrÿche and Dream Theater, their music is softer, but it still has that progressive metal feel to them, and there are some heavy and energetic parts in the music. The intro to “Nothing Left to Say” showcases that metal side very well. It’s a two-minute instrumental intro before the vocals come in, and there’s a lot to enjoy in that time. That’s not to say the rest of the song is bad, either. I quite like the softer parts, and I think Fates Warning works really well when trying to fuse those two elements together… which they usually end up doing, so that’s good. Of the two songs, I think I prefer Nothing Left to Say. “The Light and Shade of Things” is pretty good, too, but based on some comments earlier in this thread, it seems people generally love this song. And I personally don’t get the hype, but I can say it’s a good song… just not that good. The chorus is pretty great, but there’s not much else that really stands out to me. I'd be willing to give more songs from these guys a shot, though; I quite like their sound overall.

Nothing Left to Say - 8/10
The Light and Shade of Things - 7.75/10

Roulette score: 7.9

Anguyen92
Soundgarden

First impression: Not sure how much I like this particular style, but this is alright.

Final review: Well… I’ll get one thing out the way right here: If after reading this, you wish to send something completely different from your previous submissions next round, Anguyen92, I don’t blame you. Now, before I make it sound like I hated this or something, I do want to clarify this, as well: I consider Soundgarden to be a better submission than both Switchfoot and Black Stone Cherry, so in terms of Anguyen92’s line of submissions, this is a step in the right direction. I guess I’m just not particularly fond of this style of music, even though I can’t shake the feeling that there’s something that I’d really enjoy. Although if you were to put Alter Bridge in the same general category as something like Switchfoot, maybe that’s the one band I need to explore, because I did enjoy that one… Okay, I should get to the songs themselves now. I do enjoy these songs, but they never seem to go beyond the level of “pretty good” for me. I think the most consistently good song is “My Wave”. It’s got a nice energy to it, it’s instrumentally interesting throughout, and while the lyrics aren’t anything too great, they don’t bother me much. There are some awkward lyrics here and there in a couple other songs, but not so much here. “Like Suicide” is kind of interesting… The lyrics are supposed to be really poetic, I feel, but it comes across as kind of weird. Although if the song’s about what I think it’s about (killing a bird to put it out of its misery), I suppose that only makes sense that it has that blend of poetry and awkwardness. “Burden In My Hand” is another one of the better songs, mainly because of this more “uplifting” aesthetic it has to it. Lyrically, it’s more on the human/depressing side; not that it’s a problem, just that it contrasts the more upbeat music. Soundgarden’s style of music certainly isn’t the type I’m used to, but it has been at least somewhat interesting giving something like this a shot.

Outshined - 7.5/10
My Wave - 7.75/10
Like Suicide - 7.5/10
Burden In My Hand - 7.75/10

Roulette score: 7.6

Puppies_On_Acid
Arch / Matheos

First impression: I'm gonna need more listens to see if this does anything for me.

Final review: This one is… a very hard one to discuss. All the elements of this band are done very well, and it certainly seems like the kind of music I should really be into. Like, thinking about its various qualities, there’s not really anything that I could complain about (except maybe “Kindred Spirits” going on for a bit too long). The music is well-composed, it sounds good to listen to, the vocals are good and suit the music well... There really isn’t anything I can think of that this group doesn’t do well. But unfortunately, Arch / Matheos just doesn’t do anything for me. There’s some interesting stuff here and there, and I don’t not enjoy this music, but I guess I only like it on a superficial level. And I wouldn’t say this is the same problem that I had with The Ocean back in Round 1; with that band, I know I’ll probably enjoy them a lot given time, their music is just so dense that it’ll take a lot of time to really digest it all. I don’t get that feeling here; this band here just does nothing for me. It is a shame... I feel like if it clicked with me, that I’d really like it. Who knows, maybe in the future I’ll come back to these songs and I might finally “get” them. But for now, the only thing I really like from this group just come from the more objective qualities about them; so I guess this is an example of a band that I respect more than I personally enjoy.

Vermilion Moons - 7.5/10
Wrath of the Universe - 7.75/10
Tethered - 7.5/10
Kindred Spirits - 7/10

Roulette score: 7.4

Lethean
Threshold

First impression: For the most part, I don't think the vocals go too well with the music.

Final review: The vocals are what I have the most to say about, so I’ll get that out of the way first (though I’ll probably end up talking about all the other elements I want to get to anyway). Ever since my first listening, the vocals have grown on me. I just think that in some songs, a different vocalist, or at least a different vocal style, may have been more fitting with the music. “Light and Space” and “Phenomenon” are consistently on the heavier side, and I think the softer vocal style might not be the best choice. It’s not even that I think the singer’s bad, I think on its own, his voice is pretty great! It’s just not particularly suitable for the music here… which is why “Pilot in the Sky of Dreams” is really good. It’s more melodic in comparison to the other songs (at least when there’s singing), so the vocals truly shine here. That being said, the other songs are still pretty enjoyable. “Pressure” leans into that heavier side a lot, but it’s a fun song nonetheless, and my favorite parts actually tend to be the vocals. I’ve talked a lot about the vocals, but what about the instrumentation? It’s really good. Light and Space has a great intro, and there’s various parts of Phenomenon and Pilot in the Sky of Dreams that are very enjoyable. The last song here, “Snowblind”, is good as well. There’s a new vocalist on this one, as the old vocalist, Andrew McDermott, is now… gone… but he sounds just as good, and his voice and style of singing is pretty similar, too. So I was a bit conflicted on the vocals at first, but they’ve grown on me and I can safely say that Threshold is a rather enjoyable band.

Light and Space  - 8/10
Phenomenon - 8/10
Pressure - 8.25/10
Pilot in the Sky of Dreams - 8.5/10
Snowblind - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 8.2

Luoto
Fireproven

First impression: Advanced proggy Amorphis.

Final review: Yeah, I don’t know what exactly I was thinking the first time I listened to these guys. There are some traits they have in common with Amorphis, but they’re a lot more different than I first thought. That being said, I would classify Fireproven as “advanced” and “proggy” at least! “The Tower” is a bit different from the other songs, in that it’s a softer, more symphonic song. There’s still some metal aspects, though, especially with the harsh vocals. It’s quite a good song, but the really good stuff lies within the songs from “Omnipresence”. It leans towards a much more metal side, but there’s a lot of moments with the keyboards that really add a lot to the songs. I also really like the darker mood these songs have. My favorite is “New Born Truth”, which has a really great intro, especially with how it leads into the first verse. Overall, it’s very enjoyable. “As Above, So Below” kind of feels like more of the same, though it’s not quite as great as New Born Truth. It does have a cool keyboard solo around halfway through the song, though. I like the three songs from Omnipresence, and I think Fireproven’s other stuff would be worth checking out if their music is generally this good (or better).

The Tower - 8/10
New Born Truth - 8.5/10
As Above, So Below - 8/10
18 Hells - 8/10

Roulette score: 8.1

kingshmegland
Barock Project

First impression: Adding this to the list of artists that were a lot better than I expected.

Final review: I should’ve known better at this point than to not expect much from a kingshmegland submission. Have Rush and Mile Marker Zero taught me nothing? Now, of these three bands, this one would be my “least” favorite, but that’s not saying much, because I really like this band. I think what really stands out to me about the music these guys make is that it generally just has this positive, happy vibe to it. In a lot of situations, I could listen to this and it’d lift my spirits, even if just a little bit. And I quite appreciate that in music, as it’s seemingly uncommon these days. The only other thing I can think of that’s consistently uplifting is the Haken album “The Mountain”. Going back to Barock Project, though, my favorite is a tie between “Gold” and “Ashes”, though if I had to pick one it’d be Gold. It has more of that positive energy I enjoy so much, and there’s not really a single part of the song I don’t enjoy (even if the vocal-only intro is slightly underwhelming). Probably the best part is around 5 minutes in, where there’s a constant tradeoff between the guitar and some kind of brass instrument, and then the quieter piano section after is lovely as well. Ashes has a little less of that uplifting mood, but it’s there in places (like that awesome fast-paced piano solo and the guitar/bass section that follows right after it), and the more “serious” mood (for lack of a better word) works just fine. The other songs are quite enjoyable, too, though I don’t have much to say about those (although “I Call Your Name” has a lot of really pleasant vocal parts). I very much want to listen to more of this band, I think this band is just pleasant in both its style and its quality.

I Call Your Name - 8/10
Gold - 8.5/10
Ashes - 8.5/10
Happy To See You - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 8.3

The last batch of results will hopefully come sooner than later, though I’ll be honest, a couple of these writeups will be pretty hard to make, so I hope I don’t end up keeping everyone waiting for too long.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1360 on: December 06, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »
Well if the band you're obsessed with ain't Mastodon (although I'm fairly certain it is), I hope it's Portishead  :heart

I'd have sent Wandering Star as one of my four songs though!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1361 on: December 06, 2020, 02:08:15 PM »
Well if the band you're obsessed with ain't Mastodon (although I'm fairly certain it is), I hope it's Portishead  :heart

Let's hope it is! I almost sent that one but preferred to go with a more varied selection from their other albums.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: December 06, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
Can't complain at all!  Glad you liked it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1363 on: December 06, 2020, 02:25:56 PM »

Let's hope it is! I almost sent that one but preferred to go with a more varied selection from their other albums.

Yea that's fair, I didn't send my four fave Mastodon songs, I sent four of my faves that showcase all they have to offer

Also, fuck! Dummy has been part of my life for over 25 years! What an album. It takes me back to the mid nineties, staying up late at night to draw Wahammer 40k Space Marines, with my older brother, and exclusively listening to Dummy, Led Zeppelin I and Metallica's Black Album  :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1364 on: December 06, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »
Eww, those scores are disappoint.

Have I sent for the next round yet?