Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61800 times)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Wait another week (R3 results 1/2)
« Reply #1120 on: November 14, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »
I actually screen shot your review and sent it to Dave the singer. I talk to him all the time. Hell, the whole band knows the wife and I. 

They are humble guys. Great to talk to.

That's cool! I hope he likes my review.

Lethean’s roulette score: 8.7
Buddyhunter1’s roulette score: 8.8
Sacul’s roulette score: 8.3

Suck it! :metal :metal :metal
As is par for the course, my least favorite song of the bunch I send gets the highest score. :lol It's still a great tune of course, I just like Egoist Hedonist, Left Out and Hybrid Times more.

Dancing Mad is awesome, though I'm listening to this version of it now and it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity; it barely sounds any different than the SNES original and some of the instruments sound flat-out worse somehow... Seriously, how does a SNES-sampled church organ sound better than what ended up on here? ???

Yeah, all those songs are great.
I find your comment about Dancing Mad rather interesting... I'll have to listen to the original version and see what it's like!

real excited for Revenge to check out ADHD and realize there's 1 song and about 5 minutes of the album he hasn't already heard  :lol

Yep, I recently checked out the track listings for some of Riverside's albums and noticed I'd already listened to 4 out of the 5 songs on there. Should be interesting to listen to them in order, though!

Lethean’s roulette score: 8.7
Buddyhunter1’s roulette score: 8.8
Sacul’s roulette score: 8.3

Suck it! :metal :metal :metal
As is par for the course, my least favorite song of the bunch I send gets the highest score. :lol It's still a great tune of course, I just like Egoist Hedonist, Left Out and Hybrid Times more.

Yeah but Second Life Syndrome took it's rightful place as the best song.  :)

I love all of the songs that were sent - mine, yours, and Sacul's.  I don't think there's such a thing as a bad Riverside song.  Glad you enjoyed them Revenge, and I do think they're a band that grows on you over time, so you could indeed wind up liking them even more.

No such thing as a bad Riverside song? I'll take your word for it!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1121 on: November 14, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
All right, I really got to stop with the Active Rock/Modern radio bands in this roulette.  This is clearly not working out.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1122 on: November 14, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
No such thing as a bad Riverside song? I'll take your word for it!

Artificial Smile :P

Sent for the next round! Your reaction to one of the bands here inspired me. :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1123 on: November 14, 2020, 05:12:03 PM »
I think Artificial Smile is awesome.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1124 on: November 14, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
On another note, regarding this part.

Lyrics aside, the music is a little stronger than the other songs I heard. Black Stone Cherry is about what I expect from this particular style of rock, and while I’m not particularly impressed by them, I wouldn’t mind giving more bands like this a shot. I just hope there’s a more exciting and interesting band in the vein of something like this band.

I'm going to be honest as a person that has listened to this modern rock format in the last 10 years or so.  There probably isn't.  The other exciting ones, that other people might find exciting, in my opinion, are already on your banned list (A7X and Ghost) and ones that I already mentioned (Alter Bridge).  Other bands in that format are either really generic or you probably won't find interesting.

Anywho, I've submitted round 4.  Don't worry.  None of the songs I've submitted are from 2000-onwards.  I'm shocked as well.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1125 on: November 14, 2020, 05:41:52 PM »
On another note, regarding this part.

Lyrics aside, the music is a little stronger than the other songs I heard. Black Stone Cherry is about what I expect from this particular style of rock, and while I’m not particularly impressed by them, I wouldn’t mind giving more bands like this a shot. I just hope there’s a more exciting and interesting band in the vein of something like this band.

I'm going to be honest as a person that has listened to this modern rock format in the last 10 years or so.  There probably isn't.  The other exciting ones, that other people might find exciting, in my opinion, are already on your banned list (A7X and Ghost) and ones that I already mentioned (Alter Bridge).  Other bands in that format are either really generic or you probably won't find interesting.

Anywho, I've submitted round 4.  Don't worry.  None of the songs I've submitted are from 2000-onwards.  I'm shocked as well.

I kinda figured that might be the case... I just wanted to be optimistic. But it's alright, I didn't mind checking out bands like Switchfoot and Black Stone Cherry. Even if I didn't love them, I did find something to like about them, and if nothing else I certainly feel like I'm expanding my horizons.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1126 on: November 14, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
Nice, I'll take it! I went with a pretty varied choice to show you different sides of the band so you can explore the ones that resonate the most with you.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1127 on: November 15, 2020, 08:09:01 AM »
Hhhhhhh, I tried :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1129 on: November 15, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »
Status update: I will absolutely be getting these out as soon as I can, but I'm sort of having writer's block with some of these results... I know how I feel about the music, and I more or less know what I want to say about it, but I'm just having a difficult time putting it into words... But I will do my best to avoid having to make more jokes about how the Pain of Salvation song "Wait" describes my roulette.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1130 on: November 15, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »

It was a hell of an effort!

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: November 16, 2020, 03:16:27 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, I was expecting a better result, but I'll take it. I'm surprised The Doorway is the one you liked the least of the three.
I'll send something soon for round 4
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1133 on: November 16, 2020, 03:55:05 AM »
The overall score is fair enough, though I'm not sure if I'm ok with one of the greatest heavy metal songs ever written getting the lowest score ;)

Sent for round 4.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1134 on: November 16, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »

Kids these days!
It was a hell of an effort!

Hey, I'd say you did well, too! I didn't love Queen, but I certainly enjoyed them. But I guess kids these days like East of the Wall more than Queen. :lol

I'm not gonna lie, I was expecting a better result, but I'll take it. I'm surprised The Doorway is the one you liked the least of the three.

Yeah, I had a feeling The Doorway was considered one of their greater songs, but while I do enjoy it, I don't like it quite as much as Day For Night and Crack the Big Sky.

The overall score is fair enough, though I'm not sure if I'm ok with one of the greatest heavy metal songs ever written getting the lowest score ;)

It's always interesting to see just how diverse people's taste in music can be. This is just one example of many, but I think that song is good but not great. It's always nice to hear someone think so highly of certain songs.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1135 on: November 19, 2020, 09:36:39 PM »
Status update: Halfway through the second half of the writeups, so the rest should hopefully come out tomorrow.

Offline Revenge319

Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Round 3 results 2/2 (Send for R4!)
« Reply #1136 on: November 20, 2020, 05:34:38 PM »
The second half of the results.

---------------------------

jingle.boy
Queensrÿche

First impression: Pretty good stuff! This might grow on me a lot.

Final review: So despite what my first impression implied, I’m not sure if Queensrÿche has grown on me all that much. But it’s strange, this feels like a band I should have grown to really enjoy. Some of the music here vaguely reminds me of When Dream and Day Unite, which is an album I’ve grown to really enjoy. I think perhaps the reason that it hasn’t all clicked with me could do with the fact that all the songs I was sent are live recordings. Now, I have absolutely no problem with being sent live recordings, but I think sometimes they can be too echoey, and as such I feel like there might be details I’m missing out on as a result of all the live noise, whether it’s the echo or the audience (or both). I think this might be the case with Operation: LIVEcrime (plus the live version of Queen of the Reich). But with what I’ve been given, I can at least say that I enjoyed this band. The opening tracks of Operation: Mindcrime plus “Revolution Calling” is a great combo of songs. Revolution Calling has this anthemic vibe and almost has a sense of grandeur to it. “Operation: Mindcrime” follows with a similar style, though I find it a bit less memorable. “Suite Sister Mary” is an interesting and climactic-sounding track. It’s very dramatic, especially with the ominous female chanting towards the end. But while those songs are all pretty good, to be honest… I think my favorite song here is “Queen of the Reich”. I can definitely hear its influence on When Dream and Day Unite, and in general it’s enjoyable to listen to from start to finish. While I might not have seemed so excited about the Operation: LIVEcrime, I definitely want to listen to the original studio version. If nothing else, the story seems very interesting (even though I don’t have much of an idea as to what’s going on, aside from a guy (presumably the main character) needing to kill someone named Mary), and I think the music does a great job of making the story feel exciting and dramatic. So while Queensrÿche hasn’t exactly clicked with me yet, I’ve got a good feeling that they will for me, given time.

As a side note, I watched the live videos that you sent, jingle.boy. They’re alright, but nothing special to me. I do find it cool, though, that they made an animation for I Remember Now.

I Remember Now/Anarchy-X/Revolution Calling - 8/10
Operation: Mindcrime - 7.75/10
Suite Sister Mary - 8.25/10
Queen of the Reich - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 8.1

romdrums
Karnivool

First impression: They're good, but I wasn't expecting them to sound so... normal.

Final review: Surely I’m not the only one who was expecting demented heavy metal circus music when I saw the name of this band for the first time, right? What I got was something a lot more normal than that. But let’s toss expectations aside; even if my original vision of a band called “Karnivool” proved to be a more exciting prospect than some regular ol’ rock, what do I think of the music itself? Well… a bit underwhelming, honestly. They’re not bad by any means, but they generally don’t do too much for me. I feel like they’re the kind of band that puts a lot of emotion into their music, but I just don’t feel it. So what I’m left with is some music that’s good enough at best, but still at least decent. “C.O.T.E.” is the best of the four songs. It’s nothing special or anything, but it’s an enjoyable listen overall and has some rather pleasant parts to it. “We Are” has a great vocal section towards the end, but the rest of the song is a bit bland and even though I like the part towards the end, I think it overstays its welcome just a bit. “New Day” feels like it’s trying to be very emotional with the vocals, but they just don’t do anything for me and occasionally don’t sound that great. I also think the song is maybe a bit too long… I think there’s potential for me to enjoy a band like this, but Karnivool in particular just isn’t my thing, even if I think it’s still kinda good.

C.O.T.E. - 7.5/10
Goliath - 7/10
We Are - 6.75/10
New Day - 6.75/10

Roulette score: 7.0

Puppies_On_Acid
Oceansize

First impression: I was expecting something rather strange, but instead I got some very pretty, atmospheric music.

Final review: Very pleasant and beautiful music. That’s basically all I need to say about Oceansize, but I should go into a little more detail here. I really wasn’t expecting the music to be what it is, what with some of the strange song titles they have. There’s “Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs”, which was sent in this round, but other odd titles I’ve heard of include “Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt” and “It's My Tail and I'll Chase It If I Want To”. But speaking of that one song that I did listen to, WWLMWLD (nice abbreviation, eh?) is a great showcase of what this band is about. Atmospheric, ambient yet a little energetic, really good vocals… Now, this isn’t the greatest singer I’ve ever heard, but his voice fits the music so well, especially in WWLMWLD. “Trail of Fire” is a bit different from the other Oceansize songs; it’s got that signature aesthetic that makes Oceansize great, but there’s a lot more energy and it leans towards more “normal” songwriting than the soundscape-ish structure of the other songs. There’s two 10+ minute songs here, which are my two favorites. “The Frame” has a nice but very slow start, but there’s some really great moments, especially towards the end, that more than make up for it. “Voorhees” has some great vocals and has this calm yet intense atmosphere to it. I’m guessing mostly all of Oceansize’s music is like these songs, and if so, I am very interested in checking out more of this stuff. So pretty…

Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs - 8.5/10
Trail of Fire - 8.5/10
The Frame - 8.75/10
Voorhees - 8.75/10

Roulette score: 8.6

Evermind / Elite
Pain of Salvation

First impression: Makes me think of a modern-day Marillion, only I can feel more emotions with this one.

Final review: Ah, Pain of Salvation... Yet another one of those bands that I’ve heard a lot about ever since I joined DTF. I’ve heard quite a few opinions on them, on here and elsewhere. Some say they’re great, some say they’re the greatest thing ever, some say they’re incredibly pretentious… So yeah, this was a band I was interested in checking out when they were submitted in this roulette. Based on these eight songs, though… I think my thoughts about the band are more on a song-by-song basis. They have their own sound, and they do different styles, but when comparing songs they’ve made that follow a specific style, there can be differing results. For instance, I would say “WAIT” and “Iter Impius” are, in some ways, similar to each other (aside from Iter Impius having more energy to it). Of these two songs, I like WAIT significantly more than Iter Impius (though Iter Impius is still pretty good). Though when I compare those two ballad-esque songs to another one like “Second Love”, those two are both inferior; I didn’t think much of Second Love at first, but one night it just really clicked with me and I think it’s probably my favorite song out of all eight Pain of Salvation songs I listened to. Maybe this whole “song-by-song basis” thing doesn’t make sense, but I’ve already written this much… To say my thoughts on the band as a whole, they are definitely good. I guess what I’m saying is that I need to listen to some of these albums to determine what qualities I enjoy the most. Going over some of Elite’s submissions (as I’ve only mentioned Evermind’s so far), there’s more variety here, though I think I enjoyed this batch of songs a little less. “King of Loss” is very good, though; if it’s not Second Love, then this song is my favorite Pain of Salvation song I was sent. It has a long buildup, but both the buildup and payoff are quite satisfying. “RESTLESS BOY” is rather different from the other songs, going for a more electronic sound, but I think it works pretty well. There’s even a vocoder before the proper vocals, I think, and that sounds good as well. Now, I think this is going to be a controversial opinion, but while I like the song, “In the Passing Light of Day” is easily my least favorite of these eight songs. It sounds nice, but it feels too long and at times I feel like there’s not enough going on. Looking at these eight songs as a whole, though, Pain of Salvation has some very interesting stuff; enough to make me interested in checking out a few albums, at least!

WAIT - 8.25/10
Iter Impius - 7.75/10
Second Love - 8.75/10
Beyond the Pale - 8.5/10

Rope Ends - 8.25/10
King of Loss - 8.75/10
RESTLESS BOY - 8.25/10
In the Passing Light of Day - 7.75/10

Evermind’s roulette score: 8.3
Elite’s roulette score: 8.3

HOF
Big Big Train

First impression: Certainly good, but I don't have much else to say about it.

Final review: The first couple times I listened to Big Big Train, I was worried that it was going to be another one of those bands where I couldn’t find anything to say about it, other than “I like it”. Fortunately, though, that did not turn out to be the case! Well, the “I like it” part still stands. If I had to compare this band to something else, it’s a bit like Riverside with some Transatlantic elements here and there; they’ve still got their own unique sound, of course. “A Boy in Darkness” is a quite interesting song. It starts off mellow and rather ominous, and it gets a bit more energized in the chorus, but then about a little less than halfway into the song, it switches to this really cool section where it’s fast-paced and there’s some symphonic instruments like a violin playing along. Another great song is “Snowfalls”, which does a very good job at feeling like a winter/Christmas song while still feeling unique in how it’s presented. I think there’s a lot to enjoy about this band, though I don’t know if the songs sent represent how their music generally sounds, or if they do a lot more different styles than what I’ve heard here. If it’s the latter, then checking out some albums from Big Big Train sounds like an exciting prospect to me. That said, even if this is the extent of what they tend to do, I think I’d still want more of this.

A Boy in Darkness - 8.5/10
Last Train - 8/10
Snowfalls - 8.5/10

Roulette score: 8.3

Stadler
Deep Purple

First impression: This was a lot more interesting than I expected!

Final review: So I mentioned that I found this very interesting… but looking back, I think it’s really just one song that I found particularly good; while I do like these guys better than I thought I would, any novelty two of these songs had has more or less gone away. Deep Purple has that classic rock aesthetic that sometimes works for me, but sometimes it doesn’t. On that scale, they’re in the middle. At their best, I do enjoy it, but it seems that’s more of the exception than the rule, if these three songs are anything to go by. But even when they’re not at their best, it’s still some worthwhile stuff to listen to. To make this straightforward, the best song here is “Burn”. It’s a fun song with a very memorable riff throughout the song, and there’s some pretty talented vocals on display. The other songs are actually good as well, though not as good. In the case of “No No No”, it’s pretty catchy, but some of the lyrics are kind of jarring to listen to (“Do we love each other? No no no”). “Not Responsible” has a really cool, slightly atmospheric riff at the beginning, and it does recur throughout the song, but the rest of the song isn’t particularly as interesting. So overall, Deep Purple is good, though not necessarily a band I’d get into. They were worth a shot for Burn alone, though!

No No No - 7.75/10
Not Responsible - 7.75/10
Burn - 8/10

Roulette score: 7.8

Seventh Wonder

First impression: An impressive piece of music, this is.

Final review: This was an unexpected submission. Not in what the music is, but rather that there’s only one song to discuss here. So it is a bit tricky to decide how I feel about the band based on just one song… even if said song is a 30-minute epic. So, this 30-minute epic is called “The Great Escape”, and much like most songs of this kind, there’s all sorts of twists and turns. Now, I don’t think I would call this song a masterpiece (or at least, I’m not at that point yet), but there is one important aspect that it more or less gets right; throughout its lengthy runtime, it is consistently interesting. I don’t love every single moment of the song, but there’s almost always something to keep me interested, like the instrumental that properly begins the song after the soft acoustic intro. Seeing as this band’s vocalist, Tommy Karevik, also appeared in Kamelot, I should mention that I think he’s a very good singer. It’s been a while since I heard the one Kamelot song I was sent in Round 2 that he sings on, but I think here his voice fits in quite well with the music, whether it’s a gentler voice like in the aforementioned acoustic intro, or his normal, rather powerful voice throughout most of the song. Now, a song that’s 30 minutes long will naturally take me many more listens to fully digest and memorize, but there are some highlights I can bring up. The instrumental stuff during “VII. Death of the Goddesses” is really great, I really like how the piano and heavy guitars go together. There’s also a couple sections in “XI. The Aftermath” with a female singer, and with the quieter atmosphere they make during those sections, it works very well. The only thing I’d say I don’t like about the song is when the song briefly stops about halfway through, before “VIII. The Age of Confusion: Despair”. The song is very seamless in how it goes from movement to movement otherwise, so I wish there was a better transition to the next movement than just a few seconds of silence. But that’s really about the only complaint I have with the song. And to judge the band as a whole… Again, it’s kind of hard to judge based on one song, but I think if the rest of the album this comes from has the same amount of quality that this song has, I think I’m in for something great. Well, either way, with an epic like this, how could I not be intrigued?

The Great Escape - 9/10

Roulette score: 9.0

TAC
Burden of Life

First impression: Unsure how I feel about the harsh vocals, but there's some pretty interesting stuff here otherwise.

Final review: So here’s a somewhat interesting one. Burden of Life, simply put, makes some pretty good music, at least based on the two songs I’ve heard. Musically, it’s high-energy metal, and while that’s about the only way I can describe what this band is about, that’s not a bad thing; as I mentioned, this band makes some good stuff. Of the two songs sent, I like “Goddess of the River” better. It’s just that high-energy goodness and it never lets up, even in the softer section in the middle of the song. The chorus is so catchy, too. The harsh vocals were a bit odd to me at first, but now I think they fit in very well with the music. (Small tangent: Since my first impression for this band was similar to my impressions on Exist, I’ll mention that I prefer the vocals in this band, both soft and harsh.) Anyway, “The Makeshift Conqueror, Pt. 2” is very good as well. I think the highlight is the intro, actually. The drumming and the somewhat dramatic band entrance is such a great way to start the song. After that intro, the band does what they do best. There’s a cool part around 3:40 where it slows down and there’s a choir in the background. I wish that part lasted longer. If the rest of the album these songs come from has music of this quality or higher, I’d be very interested in checking out the whole thing.

Goddess of the River - 8.5/10
The Makeshift Conqueror, Pt. 2 - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 8.4

STANDINGS:

425:               8.9 + 8.4 + 9.0 = 26.3
Cyril:             8.8 + 9.0 + 8.4 = 26.2
twosuitsluke:      8.6 + 8.6 + 8.9 = 26.1
Buddyhunter1:      8.9 + 8.0 + 8.8 = 25.7
Evermind:          8.6 + 8.6 + 8.3 = 25.5
Sacul:             8.2 + 8.6 + 8.3 = 25.1
Lethean:           7.7 + 8.2 + 8.7 = 24.6
TAC:               7.8 + 8.4 + 8.4 = 24.6
kingshmegland:     8.2 + 7.8 + 8.5 = 24.5
MoraWintersoul:    8.3 + 8.1 + 7.9 = 24.3
Nekov:             8.2 + 7.4 + 8.5 = 24.1
Elite:             8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 = 24.1
jingle.boy:        7.9 + 8.1 + 8.1 = 24.1
Luoto:             8.3 + 7.6 + 7.8 = 23.7
romdrums:          8.4 + 8.1 + 7.0 = 23.5
HOF:               7.6 + 7.6 + 8.3 = 23.5
Puppies_On_Acid:   7.8 + 6.6 + 8.6 = 23.0
Stadler:           6.4 + 8.6 + 7.8 = 22.8
Anguyen92:         7.9 + 7.3 + 7.1 = 22.3

I can’t apologize enough for how long I’ve made you all wait. I’m gonna have to really try my best to go through Round 4 more quickly than I did with this round… Well, anyway, it is now Round 4 time, so send your submissions if you haven’t done so already!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1137 on: November 20, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »
And Cyril questioned me sending Vorhees.... That song is amazing and every bit as good as The Frame.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1138 on: November 20, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »
I'm dead last.  Not only I'm dead last, I'm right below Stadler.  I'm sorry, Stadler, but I can't have that.  If I can't knock this out well in round 4, I might as well throw something very random on round 5.  I even decided, for this round, to not have one song be from 2000-onwards.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1139 on: November 20, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »

HOF
Big Big Train

First impression: Certainly good, but I don't have much else to say about it.

Final review: The first couple times I listened to Big Big Train, I was worried that it was going to be another one of those bands where I couldn’t find anything to say about it, other than “I like it”. Fortunately, though, that did not turn out to be the case! Well, the “I like it” part still stands. If I had to compare this band to something else, it’s a bit like Riverside with some Transatlantic elements here and there; they’ve still got their own unique sound, of course. “A Boy in Darkness” is a quite interesting song. It starts off mellow and rather ominous, and it gets a bit more energized in the chorus, but then about a little less than halfway into the song, it switches to this really cool section where it’s fast-paced and there’s some symphonic instruments like a violin playing along. Another great song is “Snowfalls”, which does a very good job at feeling like a winter/Christmas song while still feeling unique in how it’s presented. I think there’s a lot to enjoy about this band, though I don’t know if the songs sent represent how their music generally sounds, or if they do a lot more different styles than what I’ve heard here. If it’s the latter, then checking out some albums from Big Big Train sounds like an exciting prospect to me. That said, even if this is the extent of what they tend to do, I think I’d still want more of this.

A Boy in Darkness - 8.5/10
Last Train - 8/10
Snowfalls - 8.5/10

Roulette score: 8.3

I’m glad you liked this. BBT are pretty much my favorite band right now (who is still actively making music). I would say what I sent you is definitely just the tip of the iceberg with this band. I think if you liked A Boy In Darkness you should check out the English Electric album (the double CD version). That’s got a wide range of styles on it, but all really high quality songwriting and production. You also can’t go wrong with The Underfall Yard which is probably my favorite. More recent albums have a little more of a folk music vibe with more prominent use of violin. They’re a band of many talents and many styles that merge together, but all of it is really well done. They have a deep catalog, so if you get hooked there is a lot to explore.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1140 on: November 20, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »

jingle.boy
Queensrÿche

Final review: So despite what my first impression implied, I’m not sure if Queensrÿche has grown on me all that much. But it’s strange, this feels like a band I should have grown to really enjoy. Some of the music here vaguely reminds me of When Dream and Day Unite

:wtf:

:rollin

All hope is lost. I’ll send round 4 and 5 tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1141 on: November 20, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »

jingle.boy
Queensrÿche

Final review: So despite what my first impression implied, I’m not sure if Queensrÿche has grown on me all that much. But it’s strange, this feels like a band I should have grown to really enjoy. Some of the music here vaguely reminds me of When Dream and Day Unite

:wtf:

:rollin

That's mainly in reference to Queen of the Reich, not so much the songs from Operation: Mindcrime.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1142 on: November 20, 2020, 06:26:40 PM »
OK, see you guys around mid December! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1143 on: November 20, 2020, 07:44:31 PM »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, TAC. :neverusethis:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1144 on: November 20, 2020, 07:49:10 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1145 on: November 20, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »
Frames and Effloresce are both very good albums :tup Some of my favorite songs Puppies didn't send are Massive Bereavement, Long Forgotten and Only Twin.

This next round will be interesting... might not be in the top five after it but we'll see :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1146 on: November 20, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »

Aw, I think this roulette will probably be over before the year ends.

Hopefully.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1147 on: November 20, 2020, 07:57:51 PM »

Which year?  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1148 on: November 20, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »
Tim, you son of a bitch.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1149 on: November 20, 2020, 08:12:13 PM »

Which year?  :lol

This one! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1151 on: November 20, 2020, 08:28:14 PM »
i think your rankings of all the pain of salvation songs are almost directly opposite of how i'd rank them myself. amazing

also. 425 :getoffmylawn:

i actually take it as personal insult that the frame got a sub-9 score considering it's actually a 10/10 and one of my favorite songs period, like, easily in the top 5 if not the absolute best song i've ever heard tbh. nice work!

anyways next round i'm probably tanking myself with the first of the two really difficult entries which is a shame but i think i'mma stick to my guns for at least this one. the next one maybe not so much.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1152 on: November 20, 2020, 08:42:35 PM »
i actually take it as personal insult that the frame got a sub-9 score considering it's actually a 10/10 and one of my favorite songs period, like, easily in the top 5 if not the absolute best song i've ever heard tbh. nice work!

anyways next round i'm probably tanking myself with the first of the two really difficult entries which is a shame but i think i'mma stick to my guns for at least this one. the next one maybe not so much.

I don't think my score for The Frame is so bad, it's basically calling it a great song bordering on being amazing. That's a pretty good compliment if I do say so myself. And who knows, maybe The Frame will grow on me even more... If it makes you feel better, people tend to think very lowly of a lot of songs I'd consider my favorites of all time.

Regarding your Round 4 submission, I have no idea what to expect in terms of how much I'll like or dislike it (much like all the other submissions you've sent so far), but I am particularly excited to see how things will turn out with this one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1153 on: November 20, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
Imagine someone's taste is different than someone else. 

Cyril, you're in second.  I think he likes your tastes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: November 21, 2020, 01:06:04 AM »
Nice.

I'll try to send something in ten days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.