Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93930 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #980 on: January 08, 2021, 09:41:59 AM »
The special edition cover art is so much better than the regular one. I remember something similar happened with Systematic Chaos.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #981 on: January 08, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
The special edition cover art is so much better than the regular one. I remember something similar happened with Systematic Chaos.
Indeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #982 on: January 08, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »
Devin in London 2019 was also my first live experience with this bald prog magician. What a beautiful times  :-\

but make sure you check out the Devin thread for discussion there.  He's fairly popular on the forum.  So I won't clog up the this thread with more DT talk.
Yeah you should really get back to the DT discussions. 

Mundane and The Magic is an amazing DT song... :biggrin:

Ah! The best!  :metal

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #983 on: January 08, 2021, 06:13:02 PM »
Can someone please point out when (MM:SS) does this blast beat appear in ANTR?

(14:30) on Distant Memories

(14:44) on Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Thanks! Mangini doubling the time on the second half is indeed very cool [as Dream Team said].

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #984 on: January 09, 2021, 11:07:51 PM »
Well I just finished watching. Bravo! :metal The only  thing that could have been better was the crowd.
For a Christmas present, my son who is into Rap, watched the show with me. He couldn't believe everyone was sitting. And I agree. Thank goodness for my buddy Darryl in the front row giving some energy!. It did get better about Home though, but everyone was still mostly sitting. I will never understand it. My energy is too big to want to sit at a rock concert!
I am not sure how anyone could say anything bad about James singing. He nailed it!.  :yarr He has the scream in Nightmare and in another song later in Scenes but I don't remember which one now. I have always loved his voice from the first moment I heard it.
Mangini cracked us both up when he had a very slow part and super exaggerated it like a slo-mo shot.
I enjoyed the many little different things Jordan did.
And.. on the home screen 2nd disc, I got to see myself! It was during intermission and I had made friends with the woman next to me who was waaay excited for Scenes. It was funny to watch myself.
Dream Theater never disappoints!!

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: January 09, 2021, 11:32:48 PM »
I am not sure how anyone could say anything bad about James singing. He nailed it!.

Well, as regards the performance that was released, you're right. Technology is powerful.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the blu-ray. Definitely the best looking and sounding release since the original Budokan.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #986 on: January 10, 2021, 01:15:14 AM »
I am not sure how anyone could say anything bad about James singing. He nailed it!.

Well, as regards the performance that was released, you're right. Technology is powerful.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the blu-ray. Definitely the best looking and sounding release since the original Budokan.

I felt he nailed when I was in London at the show. It sounded the same to me.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #987 on: January 10, 2021, 04:45:41 AM »
To guy in the front row with king white hair. You know, who was looking down at his phone every time he was on camera. You know, like in the middle of an amazing Petrucci solo, when everyone was in awe and we can see your head down on your phone. In the front row. From the bottom of my heart, go fuck your self. Please never go to a concert again.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #988 on: January 10, 2021, 08:25:33 AM »
Maybe he’s not a fan and just got dragged along by his mate/partner as a favour for them?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #989 on: January 10, 2021, 08:41:52 AM »
Well I just finished watching. Bravo! :metal The only  thing that could have been better was the crowd.
For a Christmas present, my son who is into Rap, watched the show with me. He couldn't believe everyone was sitting. And I agree. Thank goodness for my buddy Darryl in the front row giving some energy!. It did get better about Home though, but everyone was still mostly sitting. I will never understand it. My energy is too big to want to sit at a rock concert!
I am not sure how anyone could say anything bad about James singing. He nailed it!.  :yarr He has the scream in Nightmare and in another song later in Scenes but I don't remember which one now. I have always loved his voice from the first moment I heard it.
Mangini cracked us both up when he had a very slow part and super exaggerated it like a slo-mo shot.
And.. on the home screen 2nd disc, I got to see myself! It was during intermission and I had made friends with the woman next to me who was waaay excited for Scenes. It was funny to watch myself.

I think that's very cool.  I've never appeared in an official release by any band, but the New York Daily News printed a photo taken during the Temple Of The Dog show at Madison Square Garden, and I could see myself in the crowd.  That was a cool feeling!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #990 on: January 10, 2021, 09:12:49 AM »
To guy in the front row with king white hair. You know, who was looking down at his phone every time he was on camera. You know, like in the middle of an amazing Petrucci solo, when everyone was in awe and we can see your head down on your phone. In the front row. From the bottom of my heart, go fuck your self. Please never go to a concert again.

Or a Label Rep. Or someone related to Management. Or just a fan, whom happened to be looking at his phone every time the camera edit was on him. I sometimes look at my phone real quick, to see the time, or to see if anyone messaged me something, It's quick but also, the camera edits are quick and the guy could be doing the same thing...

You mean people are sitting, not because they're old and their legs can't stand for that long. Just rattling your bones. But for real, A lot of Dream Theater fans are older people, I see it all the time, and the venues play a role in that. I saw Joe Satriani and that show was all seated. Usually, wheter the crowd is up on their feet or not, is determined by the crowd, not the band. That is also, determined by many variables. Including, Age of the audience, the music that is being presented, and the atmosphere within that show. If the majority of the crowd is older, say...55, then the crowd will likely be seated. If the younger crowd is majority, then the crowd tends to be on their feet. I've seen older bands, put the slower songs in the mid-set slot, so the audience can have a chance to sit, and rest their knees.  :lol

I know bands who choose to play Seated Venues more than standing venues, all do their own variables as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #991 on: January 10, 2021, 09:17:24 AM »

I think that's very cool.  I've never appeared in an official release by any band, but the New York Daily News printed a photo taken during the Temple Of The Dog show at Madison Square Garden, and I could see myself in the crowd.  That was a cool feeling!

That's awesome. I love how they did that with the pre-show and intermission sounds. I noticed the voices when I was waiting on the last leg of the tour in Mesa.

It is a cool feeling seeing yourself in the crowd shots, or crowd photos. Like me having a Monster Inc. Mike Wizowski moment, almost. I'm in Redemptions Alive in Color package, underneath the bluray is a crowd shot, and I am right where the cd holder bulge is....It's actually quite funny. And I also, noticed my arm at points, doesn't help that I'm short.  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: January 11, 2021, 07:59:57 AM »

Yes, I remember you saying at the time. My own recollection from being there both nights was that he put in a typical performance: all over the place.

I was, however, incredibly impressed at the sheer physicality of his performance. Really quite something. Got to witness it from virtually under his nose on the second night from the second row. Actually was lucky enough to be in the second row on both nights. Fun to watch myself moving around as the footage switches from night to night :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #993 on: January 11, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »
Is there a lot of switching because I was at the first night and didn’t notice them doing much filming.  I just assumed this Blu-ray is from the second night.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: January 11, 2021, 08:18:44 AM »

Yes, I remember you saying at the time. My own recollection from being there both nights was that he put in a typical performance: all over the place.

I was, however, incredibly impressed at the sheer physicality of his performance. Really quite something. Got to witness it from virtually under his nose on the second night from the second row. Actually was lucky enough to be in the second row on both nights. Fun to watch myself moving around as the footage switches from night to night :biggrin:

Yeah; Peter asked this too, but I'd like to know if there is a lot of switching.  Or can you send a PM with how I can tell it's you so I can go through each song and tell which is from which night (or if they comped any songs)?    I'm sort of a fanboy with that stuff.  I will usually annotate live songs on my iPod with where they came from.  Drives me NUTS when a band says "recorded somewhere on one of our many world tours".  Really?  It'll kill you to look on the tape box?  I mean, I know why they do that (hides the overdubs) but still.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
It drives me nuts, too! I've no idea which night the audio is from. Maybe a mix of the two but I can't tell, unlike most of the video.

So: if the guy with the white hair staring at his phone the entire time in the centre of the front row is visible, it's from the first night. If he's not there, it's the second night. If the camera on stage left (right as we see it) is moving up and down, it's the first night (it wasn't there on night two). If the track camera in front of the stage appears or is being used, it's the second night since it wasn't there the first night.

I thought they'd take most of the crowd footage from the first night but they didn't. Most of it, when you know what to look for, comes from the second night.

Try this clip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EG7b4AmxrM8BUpoXA

1 to 7 seconds: night one (most from the up and down camera, mostly. Zoomed in shot, not sure)
7 to 10.5 seconds (approx ;)): night two
10.5 to 12: probably night one
12 to end: not enough evidence

And since y'asked... watch out for the chap who cheekily nods at the camera ;D

Funnily enough, I appear in The Spirit Carries On on both nights. I'm over in front of JP the first night.

Oh, and also: if James' hair looks like a bird's nest at the back, it's the second night. Strange but actually true!
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: January 11, 2021, 12:05:16 PM »
Cool!  Thank you!  That must be awesome for you to be able to experience it like that!   

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #997 on: January 13, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
*Finally* got my box set of this album yesterday.  Didn't have time to go through it yesterday but it's a big (thick) box  :eek   I got the whole shebang, vinyl/CD/DVD/Partridge/Pear Tree

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: January 13, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
Not loving this like everyone else seems to be.  The sitting crowd is such a huge turn off for me.  I keep turning it off and coming back thinking I'll enjoy it more with a fresh mind and I end up just turning it off again.  Not only that, the band looks uninterested.  MM is the only one smiling throughout the video.  JLB looks like he's staring into nothing, Rudess looks super tired, Myung is unnoticeable, and JP seems mostly fine (not anything to complain or to praise about).  I've got to think the dead crowd and the bands uninterested looks are related.  This is really hard to enjoy for me sadly.

The positive is the sound is actually much better than I expected from the official youtube videos, it sounds more live that I thought it would based on that and I do enjoy the 5.1 mix.  Video quality is solid too.  But I just can't get around the dead room.  Would have enjoyed it more if this was performed in a garage honestly.  Or if they never showed the venue.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #999 on: January 13, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »
Not loving this like everyone else seems to be.  The sitting crowd is such a huge turn off for me.  I keep turning it off and coming back thinking I'll enjoy it more with a fresh mind and I end up just turning it off again.  Not only that, the band looks uninterested.  MM is the only one smiling throughout the video.  JLB looks like he's staring into nothing, Rudess looks super tired, Myung is unnoticeable, and JP seems mostly fine (not anything to complain or to praise about).  I've got to think the dead crowd and the bands uninterested looks are related.  This is really hard to enjoy for me sadly.

The positive is the sound is actually much better than I expected from the official youtube videos, it sounds more live that I thought it would based on that and I do enjoy the 5.1 mix.  Video quality is solid too.  But I just can't get around the dead room.  Would have enjoyed it more if this was performed in a garage honestly.  Or if they never showed the venue.

If the band likes the look and feel of seated venues, and wants to record the dvd's/live albums in a seated venue, and unless they gain more younger fans, then the crowd will always be majority older people and a less energetic crowd...But that is just one aspect as to why there was a seated crowd, and a feel of less energy.

The geographical location plays a lot into it, as some people are just more into the music energetically then others are, examples are The Japanese crowd versus a South American crowd.

And truth of the matter is...JR probably was tired, all the guys were probably tired, as it's close to end of the tour and it's almost over. So you get that, end burnout where it's not done yet but you know you need to keep going on and not let that burnout get to you.

Also, what if the bands were to enforce a no cell phone policy so people in the audience will focus on the show, rather than being distracted by the time, a message, or wanting to take a picture and post on Social Media. And we wouldn't get that man in the front looking at his phone...

Oh wait, they did and people complained.

From that one interview where they talked about Distant Memories, it seemed that they felt upset at the audience, and likely noticed the lack of energy and their reactions in response to that energy and thought "This dvd just doesn't feel energetic", What else could they do, but relase it and hope for the best. It is what it is, and they can't change that.

But it is a great portrayal of how the show was presented and getting the songs that got an official live release are pretty good. And since some people don't like to count Chaos in Motion as a live release, or forget it exists, forget about ITPOE.pt.1 also having a live release. I did have to buy a used limited edition to get the cd songs.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: January 13, 2021, 01:50:17 PM »
Look, man, these guys are all in their mid to late 50's or early 60's and most of their fans are over 40 by the look of the crowd at the last 3 Dream Theater shows I went to and all I really have to say is THANK THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER that everyone in front of me sat down for the entire show, so that I could also sit down for the entire show and actually see the band members performing. 

I get it that young people want to stand at shows, but talk to me when you're half a century old and let's see if you still feel the same way.  I don't go to concerts for exercise, I got to enjoy watching my favorite bands perform and for me, being able to sit and relax for the entire show = perfect concert.   Obviously YMMV

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: January 13, 2021, 01:56:42 PM »
That's what the balcony is for IMO.  Of course it's very obvious this is what DT goes for and caters to their older crowd but I'm allowed to not enjoy that approach (I get back row seats for DT shows for this reason now).  But the look on their faces kind of makes me feel like they wish that wasn't the case.  Once again, my opinion and if people would rather sit, that's their prerogative.

I don't think I'll be coming back to this release much other than for the songs that aren't on other live albums.  I think i'd rank this only above CiM which is just terrible quality, but if that release had even half the quality of this I'd rate it much higher.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1002 on: January 13, 2021, 02:32:12 PM »
I am 57 now, and want to stand! I am hyped by the music and can't groove the same sitting in a seat. There are a lot of old farts too at Iron Maiden shows, Metallica and others - no one sits. Even the 2nd leg of The Astonishing had GA and I had to wait and stand for a couple of hours before the show so I could be close... Oh and Judas Priest, if the elderly Rob Halford  :police: can stand, so could the rest of us!

I understand people like sitting. And some have health issues. But it is a Rock Concert, not the NutCracker  :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: January 13, 2021, 02:42:51 PM »
That's what the balcony is for IMO.  Of course it's very obvious this is what DT goes for and caters to their older crowd but I'm allowed to not enjoy that approach (I get back row seats for DT shows for this reason now).  But the look on their faces kind of makes me feel like they wish that wasn't the case.  Once again, my opinion and if people would rather sit, that's their prerogative.

I don't think I'll be coming back to this release much other than for the songs that aren't on other live albums.  I think i'd rank this only above CiM which is just terrible quality, but if that release had even half the quality of this I'd rate it much higher.

Of course you're allowed to not enjoy the video, all I'm saying is when you have a band whose fanbase is as old as Dream Theater's I think expecting to encounter some crazy mosh pit scene at one of their shows is just extremely unrealistic.   

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: January 13, 2021, 02:45:14 PM »
I am 57 now, and want to stand! I am hyped by the music and can't groove the same sitting in a seat. There are a lot of old farts too at Iron Maiden shows, Metallica and others - no one sits. Even

I've been to 6 Iron Maiden concerts in the last 10 years and I can assure you that PLENTY of people sat.  Everyone in my entire section at the last two shows was sitting.  The only people standing were the people with the floor seats, everyone else was sitting. 

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1005 on: January 13, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »
I am 57 now, and want to stand! I am hyped by the music and can't groove the same sitting in a seat. There are a lot of old farts too at Iron Maiden shows, Metallica and others - no one sits. Even

I've been to 6 Iron Maiden concerts in the last 10 years and I can assure you that PLENTY of people sat.  Everyone in my entire section at the last two shows was sitting.  The only people standing were the people with the floor seats, everyone else was sitting.

Sorry, meant people on the floor. I wouldn't expect seats.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: January 13, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »

Of course you're allowed to not enjoy the video, all I'm saying is when you have a band whose fanbase is as old as Dream Theater's I think expecting to encounter some crazy mosh pit scene at one of their shows is just extremely unrealistic.   

Well that's an exaggeration.  Certainly don't expect a mosh pit, I've never seen one at a DT show. I kind of do expect the fans, specifically the people up front, to visibly be showing they are enjoying the show by standing and supporting the band who looks very disinterested.  It's a play off each other as concerts should be IMO.  This is more like theater than rock n roll to me and it's a huge turn off to the live show visually.

Also, from the two shows I saw, people mostly sat until about halfway through scenes and then everyone stood and were enjoying it which lifted the energy of the shows to a new level.  I haven't made it to the end to see if that ends up being the case, I hope so.

Also agreed about IM and other of those old school metal bands.  The floor is usually standing and the seats are a mix, mostly sitting especially the further back you go.  But I expect that, you get a seat in the back and its more normal to sit, but up front? It feels so wrong to me.  I did sit in the front row for a DT concert during TA tour but security specifically made us sit otherwise I would have been standing.  I also saw first hand the disinterest of the band.  It's upsetting honestly to see this with one of my favorite bands.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1007 on: January 13, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »
Certainly don't expect a mosh pit, I've never seen one at a DT show.
I haven't seen them happen in a long time, but especially many moons ago when they were still playing the clubs (in the 90s) it would happen for certain songs, although nothing hardcore like what you would see at a thrash metal concert. Doubt it would happen at a show in North America these days given the venues they play (seated theaters) but maybe it would happen for some songs at some of the European and South American gigs if at an arena that doesn't have seats on the floor.

I did sit in the front row for a DT concert during TA tour but security specifically made us sit otherwise I would have been standing.  I also saw first hand the disinterest of the band.  It's upsetting honestly to see this with one of my favorite bands.
There is a lot of truth to that. I remember talking with MP while he was still in the band, and telling him how much I loved going to shows at the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford, CT because they had PA along the stage (great for when you were in the center section within the first few rows) and super comfy seats. But MP specifically said he didn't like playing there because of the seats - everyone sits at all the shows there, sucking all the energy out of the room which the band would feed off of. So there's a lot of truth to what you're saying cram.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: January 14, 2021, 03:02:17 AM »

Sorry, meant people on the floor. I wouldn't expect seats.

Oddly enough, Mrs. NoseHair dragged me to a Jimmy Buffet concert at the same venue and I had to stand up for the entire show if I wanted to see anything, which, frankly, didn't really matter to me because I spent 90% of the show watching repeats of The Office on my phone  :rollin

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1009 on: January 14, 2021, 06:36:49 AM »
Dang dude,  Jimmy Buffett puts on a good show. Much better than any Office episode ever made. You must have been a lame date for her that night.. 💤🤦‍♀️
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1010 on: January 14, 2021, 07:46:53 AM »
I'm in the minority, but I love sitting at shows. I like to just sit back and take everything in.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: January 14, 2021, 07:54:02 AM »
Dang dude,  Jimmy Buffett puts on a good show. Much better than any Office episode ever made. You must have been a lame date for her that night.. 💤🤦‍♀️

And an expensive one.  Jimmy Buffet tickets aren't cheap. 

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1012 on: January 14, 2021, 08:18:44 AM »
Certainly don't expect a mosh pit, I've never seen one at a DT show.

Thats our cue Bosk  ;)

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:22 AM »
I'm in the minority, but I love sitting at shows. I like to just sit back and take everything in.

I feel like this now. And I get to see, too.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1014 on: January 14, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »
I much prefer the more "traditional" setup of standing area in front, and seats in back and/or on the sides.  But another hidden "benefit" of seating for the band is probably the extra money seated venue tickets generate.  Although they do not see direct revenue from tickets, seated venues tend to charge more for tickets, and can charge even higher premium prices for tickets in the front, which translates to higher guarantees for the band.  And if some of those premium seats are sold as part of VIP packages, the band might have it structured in such a way that they do possibly see direct revenue from those sales. 

Speaking of which, I wonder why more bands that tend to play standing venues haven't experimented with VIP areas down in front.  I mean, I know Metallica basically did that with their snake pit stage setup.  But I think there are probably far less elaborate ways bands could do that.  For instance, they could have the venue just cordon off a barricade area center stage in front for VIPs.  I guess it might get too difficult to police people stealthily climbing the barricades.  But I'm sure some great minds out there could put their heads together and come up with something not to complicated that could work. 

Anyhow, back to Distant Memories:  I have the first set playing again right now as I am working at home, and still stand by my initial assessment of feeling that it is a really good release.  Again, of course the SFAM set, which is a huge chunk of the product, is going to suffer in comparison to LSFNY.  But still, it's a great performance, a really nice total set list, and great overall package.  Yeah, the audience reaction (or lack thereof) keeps it from having the energy of a typical live release.  But that doesn't mean it still isn't enjoyable.  It's a blast seeing and hearing the band perform these songs at such a high level on such a beautiful stage.  And after a couple of watches, I guess I quickly adapted to the lack of crowd noise.  I guess watching NFL games with no crowds and either fake or no crowd noise has helped condition me to not feel like I "need" it as much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."