Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93984 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #945 on: January 03, 2021, 10:58:48 PM »
This is such a fantastic release.  The live set is terrific.  I have kind of mixed feelings about Scenes.  LSFNY is what really made me a hardcore fan, and I watched and listened to that nonstop.  I really consider that to be the definitive live version.  That said, playing it on this anniversary tour was absolutely appropriate.  And given that they played it, preserving it for a live release is also absolutely appropriate.  And the performance is top notch.  But I cannot help but compare it, and even though it is a great presentation of the album, it suffers a bit by comparison because it just cannot have the magic that that prior release had at that time in the band's history and in my life.  But again, that isn't a complaint.  I am really happy with just about everything about this release (notwithstanding the "behind the scenes" really falling short).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: January 04, 2021, 02:52:14 AM »
Still haven't decided whether to get this or not since I've also got LALP ( Live And Long Prosper ) and BTFW.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #947 on: January 04, 2021, 03:52:10 AM »
Still haven't decided whether to get this or not since I've also got LALP ( Live And Long Prosper ) and BTFW.
Me either to be honest.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #948 on: January 04, 2021, 08:22:19 AM »
This is, by far, the best produced Blu-ray from the Mangini era; so I’d say it’s definitely worth it. The Scenes part is quickly growing in me, and I might even go as far as to say this is the definitive live version of that album. Live Scenes has youth and a different energy going for it, but this one really has everything else.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #949 on: January 04, 2021, 09:23:32 AM »
Finally finished watching this new collection.  Absolutely fantastic.  Even songs I don't care for (like Nightmare to Remember) translate pretty well to blu-ray, as it did for the live shows I attended.  I even like the Behind the Scenes video for what it is (even though I would have liked to see a longer documentary, or perhaps even a commentary track).

Also, the packaging for the artbook is amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: January 04, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
Should have my artbook tomorrow finally

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #951 on: January 04, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »
Finally finished watching this new collection.  Absolutely fantastic.  Even songs I don't care for (like Nightmare to Remember) translate pretty well to blu-ray, as it did for the live shows I attended.  I even like the Behind the Scenes video for what it is (even though I would have liked to see a longer documentary, or perhaps even a commentary track).

I agree, the bluray is amazing.  Both sound and picture are the best I've seen of all their live releases.  I like how the vivid colors of the light show really stood out too.
 I listened to the first audio only cd last night and it really made me appreciate how good of a sounding live album this really is. It is just as enjoyable to listen to it without the video. I'm so glad that the cd's are part of the package.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #952 on: January 04, 2021, 10:26:26 AM »
I really enjoyed JP describing how the touring process is a bit in the artbook. How they discuss, what is going on the video, what lights they want, all that pre-production stuff. And then, the show itself. That's great in itself, and should help people understand, exactly how much it takes to do a tour.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #953 on: January 04, 2021, 10:41:25 AM »
Dang, you're making me want to buy the art book now.   Also, JP really showcases his 2020 line-up of the Majesty guitars in this show.  They all look great but the one that really jumped out at me was the sparkled one he played during Home. That thing looked amazing under lights (does anybody know what that one is called?).  The Purple Nebula which was featured for most of Scenes is another one that stood out.  :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #954 on: January 04, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
Not sure about the green one, but quick story:  I remember when the first Majesty line debuted during the DT12 tour, and I was impressed with how cool they looked.  I told JP after the show in SF that they kinda looked like they were inspired by sports cars.  His face absolutely lit up, and he said that was the perfect analogy. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #955 on: January 04, 2021, 11:06:48 AM »
Not sure about the green one, but quick story:  I remember when the first Majesty line debuted during the DT12 tour, and I was impressed with how cool they looked.  I told JP after the show in SF that they kinda looked like they were inspired by sports cars.  His face absolutely lit up, and he said that was the perfect analogy.
Oh completely, that was my first thought when I saw the Majesties. I said to myself, that's gotta be like driving a Ferrari or something.  I hope to acquire a Majesty someday, I love how the ergonomics are designed...nothing gets in the way..

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #956 on: January 04, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
I really enjoyed JP describing how the touring process is a bit in the artbook. How they discuss, what is going on the video, what lights they want, all that pre-production stuff. And then, the show itself. That's great in itself, and should help people understand, exactly how much it takes to do a tour.

I loved that too.

Online Trav86

« Reply #957 on: January 04, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »

Also, the packaging for the artbook is amazing.

This! I've enjoyed the Metropolis 2000 video since it came out but, this show really gave the production value to this album that it deserved.  I was particularly impressed by Home.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #958 on: January 04, 2021, 12:41:21 PM »
Favorite part for me is when MM is doing the blast on ANTR and then doubles the speed to show everyone what a real blast sounds like  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #959 on: January 04, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
Favorite part for me is when MM is doing the blast on ANTR and then doubles the speed to show everyone what a real blast sounds like  :metal

I think a lot of people were anxious to hear that song live. Just to hear JLB do the MP part, and for how Mangini will do the blast-beat. I wonder if that's what he did on the drummer auditions?...His kickdrum work is really great here.  I really like it on the "Father and Mother.." section.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #960 on: January 04, 2021, 06:06:28 PM »
Can someone please point out when (MM:SS) does this blast beat appear in ANTR?

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #961 on: January 04, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
Can someone please point out when (MM:SS) does this blast beat appear in ANTR?

(14:30) on Distant Memories

(14:44) on Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: January 05, 2021, 06:54:31 AM »

There was an interview with JP about his newest majesty and he spoke about how it was inspired by the BMW M6, I can definitely see it. I think the video was on the Andertons youtube channel.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: January 06, 2021, 07:32:19 AM »
It finally arrived yesterday, I'm giving it a first watch now (while browsing DTF!). I'm really enjoying it - I'm on the SFAM portion now. Great audio and visuals. And of course a top notch performance.

"I can't love a wayward MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #964 on: January 06, 2021, 12:28:49 PM »
It finally arrived yesterday, I'm giving it a first watch now (while browsing DTF!). I'm really enjoying it - I'm on the SFAM portion now. Great audio and visuals. And of course a top notch performance.

JLB is really good on that track. Those high parts sound very powerful.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »

Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday but got delayed, it should be at my front door for when I get home today though according to tracking  :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: January 07, 2021, 09:02:49 AM »
Got these two yesterday from my favorite DT bands  :metal :metal

I almost don't want to open them, it looks so nice! I may crack into them tonight but if not, for sure this weekend  :yarr

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #967 on: January 07, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »
You're gonna wait until the weekend?  You have a lot more self control than I do.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: January 07, 2021, 09:27:43 AM »
You're gonna wait until the weekend?  You have a lot more self control than I do.  :lol

Well I've been going into work this week, if I were working from home I could play them while I work.  I've waited long enough so another day or two isn't a big deal if it means I can sit back and relax and enjoy it without being distracted.

Offline Stockpot

« Reply #969 on: January 07, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
Got these two yesterday from my favorite DT bands  :metal :metal

I almost don't want to open them, it looks so nice! I may crack into them tonight but if not, for sure this weekend  :yarr
Mate, this is incredible coincidence - i've been on both gigs personally and got both artbooks recently  :metal and i love it! DT artbook seems better to me though

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: January 07, 2021, 10:45:02 AM »
Which DT?  :biggrin: and by saying artbook do you mean the actual physical product or do you mean the album itself?  I haven't even ripped the plastic off because they both just look so awesome.

Personally, I'm actually looking forward to Devin's more because it's much more unique of a live album but of course I really want to watch set 1 of Dream Theater's.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #971 on: January 07, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
DT artbook seems better to me though

DT is better than DT :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stockpot

« Reply #972 on: January 07, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »
OMG DT is shortcut for both  :lol
I meant Dream Theater. Yes, i've got both artbooks on the picture and Dream Theater's one is slightly better than Devin's to me. But both of them are beautiful memories on those fantastic gigs, in Devin's case before the whole pandemic thing started and ruined our plans.

And since i'm newbie on this amazing DT forums, i would like to mention, that second night in London was my first Dream Theater live experience and i was so pleased when i found out on Facebook that they're shooting those gigs for a live Blu-ray. Dream came true again after Devin's gig to be captured on moving pictures and i was sort of a part of it  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: January 07, 2021, 11:04:40 AM »
 :lol it's all good, welcome to the forum.

I got to see both DT's twice during their tours in the US, another reason why I'm excited to watch and relive those memories even if it's not a capture of the shows I attended.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #974 on: January 07, 2021, 11:11:14 AM »

First, welcome to DTF! :metal

Also, a funny story. I remember, back in 2012 when MP still did Twitter Q&As, and was announcing that AMOB was going to record a few covers or something along the way, he said he was taking suggestions for songs to cover and I replied with an innocent "what about some DT?". Well... he replied in his classic MP sarcasm saying something like "DT? You mean Devin Townsend or Dangerous Toys? : )" :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stockpot

« Reply #975 on: January 07, 2021, 11:25:06 AM »
:lol it's all good, welcome to the forum.
cheers guys

Devin in London 2019 was also my first live experience with this bald prog magician. What a beautiful times  :-\

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #976 on: January 07, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »

Also, a funny story. I remember, back in 2012 when MP still did Twitter Q&As, and was announcing that AMOB was going to record a few covers or something along the way, he said he was taking suggestions for songs to cover and I replied with an innocent "what about some DT?". Well... he replied in his classic MP sarcasm saying something like "DT? You mean Devin Townsend or Dangerous Toys? : )" :rollin

Maybe Dark Tranquility or Darkthrone...  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: January 07, 2021, 02:37:13 PM »
Devin in London 2019 was also my first live experience with this bald prog magician. What a beautiful times  :-\

That's one hell of a way to be introduced to Devin live. 

My first time seeing Devin was at ProgPower with Anneke in 2016 so I guess I also got lucky to see a special performance my first time. It may be a bit buried on DTF, but make sure you check out the Devin thread for discussion there.  He's fairly popular on the forum.  So I won't clog up the this thread with more DT talk.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #978 on: January 07, 2021, 07:44:18 PM »

but make sure you check out the Devin thread for discussion there.  He's fairly popular on the forum.  So I won't clog up the this thread with more DT talk.
Yeah you should really get back to the DT discussions. 

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #979 on: January 07, 2021, 09:05:39 PM »

but make sure you check out the Devin thread for discussion there.  He's fairly popular on the forum.  So I won't clog up the this thread with more DT talk.
Yeah you should really get back to the DT discussions. 

Mundane and The Magic is an amazing DT song... :biggrin: