Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93250 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #840 on: December 11, 2020, 08:44:38 AM »
I think James was doing that because he knows people complain about the band sounding exactly like the studio recording and he's like, "Here ya go, happy now?" And they are. They no longer complain about arbitrary things.

Anyway, some of his improv doesn't work. Some does.

I'm surprised you're just now saying he has an issue with enunciation. That was one of the first things I noticed when I first got into the band 20 years ago. It may be a big worse now but that's the price we pay for having him sing insanely high melodies. Vowels are easier to sing than consonants. He's in his 50s and all things considered, he's pretty damn consistent.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #841 on: December 11, 2020, 09:37:54 AM »
My only gripe on this live album is Beyond This Life, the way James sings the "Our Deeds have traveled...far....aaaah"....cringe worthy, specially further into the song (not so much the 1st time he sings it).  Other than that, I like the vibe, the energy, the other James' melody changes. It's a very raw yet pristine documentation of the tour. Managed to see it twice live and don't regret it.

Funny thing: I keep expecting the "LARING one eternity" line lol. It kind of became iconic on LFSNY and feels weird hearing it correctly in Distant Memories.   

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #842 on: December 11, 2020, 10:26:36 AM »

That is the main problem I have with JLB now. Is his choices of enunciation and singing style for certain parts. It's like, why did you do that. Reminds me of the Vibratio in Blind Faith on CiM.
Fixed.. I take back what I said in this same post. I just watched the bluray tonight 12/21/2020 and Labrie was awesome! Very solid performance by him and every band member.   :metal
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:44:40 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #843 on: December 11, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »
My only gripe on this live album is Beyond This Life, the way James sings the "Our Deeds have traveled...far....aaaah"....cringe worthy, specially further into the song (not so much the 1st time he sings it).  Other than that, I like the vibe, the energy, the other James' melody changes. It's a very raw yet pristine documentation of the tour. Managed to see it twice live and don't regret it.

Funny thing: I keep expecting the "LARING one eternity" line lol. It kind of became iconic on LFSNY and feels weird hearing it correctly in Distant Memories.

That was the other song where I was "James...WT :facepalm:"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #844 on: December 11, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »
I don't really have an issue with the JLB-isms present in this release. He sounds good, as good as he can possibly sound in this day and age and that's enough for me. He goofs around the melodies quite a lot but I really don't mind. He's been the voice for Dream Theater for almost 30 years now (crazy, huh?) and he can do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned. As it has been pointed out quite a lot, he looks incredibly happy and confident of himself in these videos and that to me is far more important than to think something like "oh dear, what did he do to Beyond This Life? awful"

I don't listen to live releases much anymore, so it's cool checking these performances out with some of the added spice and improvs and then go back to the studio versions I love so dearly.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #845 on: December 11, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »
That's a good attitude!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #846 on: December 11, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »
I don't listen to live releases much anymore, so it's cool checking these performances out with some of the added spice and improvs and then go back to the studio versions I love so dearly.

That's my approach as well, there's no replacing the studio versions.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #847 on: December 11, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »

Agreed.  DT has never been a band where I listen to live stuff that much.  Okay, they have a few songs where my go-to version is a live one, but that is all because they are either from the debut (A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand) or never recorded for an actual studio album (Raise the Knife, Cover My Eyes, Speak to Me).  I don't think there is a single DT song from a studio album from I&W through Distance over Time where there is a specific live version I go to more than the original studio version. 

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #848 on: December 11, 2020, 04:19:02 PM »
I myself prefer most of the live versions more ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #849 on: December 11, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »
Me too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: December 11, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
DT has never been a band where I listen to live stuff that much.  Okay, they have a few songs where my go-to version is a live one, but that is all because they are either from the debut (A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand) or never recorded for an actual studio album (Raise the Knife, Cover My Eyes, Speak to Me).  I don't think there is a single DT song from a studio album from I&W through Distance over Time where there is a specific live version I go to more than the original studio version. 

I listen to DT's live stuff as much as any other band (which in reality is not very often) but otherwise feel the same. Hollow Years - Budokan is the only song I can think of where that is my "go-to" version of the song. Maybe Octavarium - Score. That isn't to say the live albums are bad. They are generally good to great for what they are.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #851 on: December 11, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »
I listen to their live stuff quite a lot. I have songs I prefer on each Live album.

I'll say JLB, I enjoy his vocals, now. Just those two I mentioned are the tiny quibbles I have. He is amazing in the songs I bought this blu-ray for. ITPOE. Pt.1, Through Her Eyes, At Wit's End. He was fantastic both times I saw him live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #852 on: December 11, 2020, 08:17:30 PM »
Yeah, I can definitely get why someone would prefer the live versions because DT is a live band and they usually sound fantastic in that format, but to me the studio version of any given song is usually the definitive version of such piece of music because of the whole creative process around its creation and the idea that production-wise everything is as good as the musician can possibly do. I say usually because there are, of course, incredible live versions of certain songs that become the definitive versions to lots of people and that's awesome as well (as the already given example of Hollow Years, to which I agree wholeheartedly).

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #853 on: December 11, 2020, 08:30:47 PM »
Yeah, I can definitely get why someone would prefer the live versions because DT is a live band and they usually sound fantastic in that format, but to me the studio version of any given song is usually the definitive version of such piece of music because of the whole creative process around its creation and the idea that production-wise everything is as good as the musician can possibly do. I say usually because there are, of course, incredible live versions of certain songs that become the definitive versions to lots of people and that's awesome as well (as the already given example of Hollow Years, to which I agree wholeheartedly).

Great way to describe studio albums.

To me, a studio album is akin to an artists work of art, one you would see in an art museum, some are Louvre worthy some are Bathroom Art. Live shows, are like watching The Artist paint a portrait. And the Live album, is like taking that Portrait the Artist drew home, and that picture, is a compilation of past works, some re-created or re-designed to fit the concept/theme/Bigger Picture of the painting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #854 on: December 11, 2020, 08:40:39 PM »

Great way to describe studio albums.

To me, a studio album is akin to an artists work of art, one you would see in an art museum, some are Louvre worthy some are Bathroom Art. Live shows, are like watching The Artist paint a portrait. And the Live album, is like taking that Portrait the Artist drew home, and that picture, is a compilation of past works, some re-created or re-designed to fit the concept/theme/Bigger Picture of the painting.

I mention that when people start ragging on James singing live and struggling. No one is going to really remember that. It's the studio versions that are the signature and enduring work.

I mean, ever listen to a Led Zeppelin live show? Holy shit does Robert Plant sound awful. But Zeppelins albums? Pure gold!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #855 on: December 11, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
So I am guilty of complaining about SFAM being played on tour, even though it's my second favorite album. When I saw them, of course I loved it, but I'm not a fan of bands playing old shit when they have an excellent new album to promote, especially on the heels of the I&W&B tour.

I took a wait and see on Distant Memories. I put it on my Santa list after listening to a few tunes on Spotify. Thought it sounded great. But I've been  watching some of the songs on youtube and I must say...

I CAN'T WAIT to get my copy!!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #856 on: December 12, 2020, 12:05:09 AM »

Y
I CAN'T WAIT to get my copy!!!!
Same here!   I ordered mine through a local record store owned and run by a long time friend of mine. He's only open on Saturdays now as he works real-estate on weekdays.  The record store is pretty much a hobby now for him, so who knows how long it will be until I get my copy..    :-\ :chill

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #857 on: December 12, 2020, 07:13:21 AM »
Watched it last night with the speakers blasting in my living room and I loved it! This is a band hitting on all cylinders. I swear Myung doesn't have bones in those fingers! They look like they're all having a great time up there. Kudos to the production team, it sounds and looks great.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #858 on: December 12, 2020, 01:35:37 PM »
So I called my local record store this morning and he said he won't be making anymore orders until after the new year. Does anybody know where I can find a reliable source to order Distant Memories??

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #859 on: December 12, 2020, 02:41:31 PM »
So I called my local record store this morning and he said he won't be making anymore orders until after the new year. Does anybody know where I can find a reliable source to order Distant Memories??

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/distant-memories-live-london-3cd2-blu-ray

This is where I ordered. It took just under 2 weeks but I got it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #860 on: December 12, 2020, 02:42:54 PM »
Yeah, lasercd is always great.  Can't go wrong with them. 

DT has never been a band where I listen to live stuff that much.  Okay, they have a few songs where my go-to version is a live one, but that is all because they are either from the debut (A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand) or never recorded for an actual studio album (Raise the Knife, Cover My Eyes, Speak to Me).  I don't think there is a single DT song from a studio album from I&W through Distance over Time where there is a specific live version I go to more than the original studio version. 

I listen to DT's live stuff as much as any other band (which in reality is not very often) but otherwise feel the same. Hollow Years - Budokan is the only song I can think of where that is my "go-to" version of the song. Maybe Octavarium - Score. That isn't to say the live albums are bad. They are generally good to great for what they are.

:tup :tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #861 on: December 12, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/distant-memories-live-london-3cd2-blu-ray

This is where I ordered. It took just under 2 weeks but I got it.
Thanks so much!  :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #862 on: December 12, 2020, 07:44:22 PM »
Bosk already made an insightful post as to why they didn't record a live DVD but as far as the band abandoning The Astonishing...is there any official or non-official word that they dropped The Astonishing in the middle of the tour? Were they planning on playing the entire album throughout 2016 & 2017?
They were gonna play it through the end of 2016, but there was never any promise of them continuing the tour in 2017. I'd honestly be surprised for them to do that anyway, given that they had been playing it throughout all of 2016. That said, they did cave  to a degree towards the end of the last leg of the tour. At that point, they dropped 5 songs from TA and added a 3 song encore of AIA, TSCO and PMU.

That's true. But the optics of the sequence of events during that period that bother me. Logistics forcing them to abandon filming the DVD; swapping out songs and then jumping right into the Images And Words Anniversary tour. That always looked bad to me.

But you have to put why they toured I&W&B in context. It was only meant as a small tour. But then promoters found out about it, and they had been getting requests for the band to come to their city, and venue. Remember, Images and Words, is a breakthrough album for the band. Even, though Dream Theater came here to New Mexico, It wasn't as packed as I thought, but it still was a great turnout, we don't have a very big Prog Metal market at all.

My only issue with that tour is that there were no new songs in the set. I don't think Dream Theater ever toured without having SOMETHING new to play. But as I've said before this band has spoiled me quite a bit over the years so I was OK with missing that tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #863 on: December 12, 2020, 07:50:00 PM »
I myself prefer most of the live versions more ;D

Exactly. Like Rush, I enjoy them a lot more that way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #864 on: December 12, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »
Bosk already made an insightful post as to why they didn't record a live DVD but as far as the band abandoning The Astonishing...is there any official or non-official word that they dropped The Astonishing in the middle of the tour? Were they planning on playing the entire album throughout 2016 & 2017?
They were gonna play it through the end of 2016, but there was never any promise of them continuing the tour in 2017. I'd honestly be surprised for them to do that anyway, given that they had been playing it throughout all of 2016. That said, they did cave  to a degree towards the end of the last leg of the tour. At that point, they dropped 5 songs from TA and added a 3 song encore of AIA, TSCO and PMU.

That's true. But the optics of the sequence of events during that period that bother me. Logistics forcing them to abandon filming the DVD; swapping out songs and then jumping right into the Images And Words Anniversary tour. That always looked bad to me.

But you have to put why they toured I&W&B in context. It was only meant as a small tour. But then promoters found out about it, and they had been getting requests for the band to come to their city, and venue. Remember, Images and Words, is a breakthrough album for the band. Even, though Dream Theater came here to New Mexico, It wasn't as packed as I thought, but it still was a great turnout, we don't have a very big Prog Metal market at all.

My only issue with that tour is that there were no new songs in the set. I don't think Dream Theater ever toured without having SOMETHING new to play. But as I've said before this band has spoiled me quite a bit over the years so I was OK with missing that tour.

They did play TBP for the first time, though. (DLPM too, but that was dropped from the set).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #865 on: December 12, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »

They did play TBP for the first time, though. (DLPM too, but that was dropped from the set).

You're right. Forgot about that. Would have been nice to witness that, but I couldn't justify it to myself.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #866 on: December 12, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
They also did two songs from TA which was nice on the I&W&beyond tour.  :coolio

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #867 on: December 12, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
I was ecstatic to hear Don't Look Past Me and The Bigger Picture, both songs that I enjoy. Getting to actually hear To Live Forever was awesome as well, that was a nice treat I will cherish to have witnessed. Also, getting to see JM do a Jaco Pastorius cover, as a bassist and a Dream Theater fan, was badass to get to see, and in first row too. Also, Hell's Kitchen was neat to see as well, although I wish JR would've kept those Tubular Bells like how he has them on Budakon. The only song I was meh about is As I Am, it's one I never really cared for that much, but it is fun to play, and still a great song to rock out too, it's why it's become a live staple.

I guess, you can see I quite enjoyed that tour. And why I am not as disappointed they didn't release a dvd of the show. It's great to have it as one of those, you just had to go, type of shows. It reminds me of back in the day, when there were no DVD concerts for every tour.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #868 on: December 14, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »

Agreed.  DT has never been a band where I listen to live stuff that much.  Okay, they have a few songs where my go-to version is a live one, but that is all because they are either from the debut (A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand) or never recorded for an actual studio album (Raise the Knife, Cover My Eyes, Speak to Me).  I don't think there is a single DT song from a studio album from I&W through Distance over Time where there is a specific live version I go to more than the original studio version.

The only exceptions for me besides the ones you stated are albums with bad production like ADTOE or DT. Then I’ll listen to the Luna Park or BTFW versions.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #869 on: December 14, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »
For me I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, but there are versions of songs I just prefer their live performance. Songs like In the Name of God, Hollow Years (The Budokan version) and Lines in the Sand (OIALT) just to name a few. They always made them breath somewhat different live, oh and the In the Name of God version..man that killer solo from JP is awesome to listen to every time!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #870 on: December 14, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
For me I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, but there are versions of songs I just prefer their live performance. Songs like In the Name of God, Hollow Years (The Budokan version) and Lines in the Sand (OIALT) just to name a few. They always made them breath somewhat different live, oh and the In the Name of God version..man that killer solo from JP is awesome to listen to every time!

I wish I could find the cd of Live At Budokan. For some reason, it is really hard to find. And Amazon lists the cd, but I bought it and it ended up being the dvd. So I have one of those if anyone wants it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #871 on: December 14, 2020, 08:21:59 PM »
Has anyone received the art book box set from Century Media? Or heard anything besides the email we got a couple of weeks ago? I haven’t received anymore communication from them.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #872 on: December 14, 2020, 09:14:11 PM »
Has anyone received the art book box set from Century Media? Or heard anything besides the email we got a couple of weeks ago? I haven’t received anymore communication from them.

Nope. That's what I get for preordering it within 10 minutes of its announcement I guess.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #873 on: December 15, 2020, 04:23:36 AM »
I wish I could find the cd of Live At Budokan. For some reason, it is really hard to find. And Amazon lists the cd, but I bought it and it ended up being the dvd. So I have one of those if anyone wants it.
I also have the DVD and missing the cd too! I remember back in the day they had stacks from that triple CD. Eventually a buddy of mine, which I have turned him to a fan, bought it and I got the live show!

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #874 on: December 15, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
I also have the DVD and missing the cd too! I remember back in the day they had stacks from that triple CD. Eventually a buddy of mine, which I have turned him to a fan, bought it and I got the live show!

I used to have it. But, that was a long while back. Now I only have 1 cd. Disc 1 got scratched to hell and Disc 3 got lost in my cd case.

I love those versions and it's why I want that cd again. Budokan is what got me into DT more after watching my uncle's dvd.