Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93406 times)

Offline JRuless

Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #770 on: December 03, 2020, 02:31:07 AM »
In my comment right afterwards the Amsterdam show last january i was already worried about this:

'For me, much more than the JLB thing, DT has to take in account their (over)mechanical performance and sound. Especially in their new stuff. There seem to be an intended difference in stage sound production between DOT songs and SFAM. DOT sounded like a brickwalled production and SFAM much more dynamic, like the sound engineer was changing presets.

For me it was the first time seeing DT as a machine and it bothered me. Very well oiled, big horsepower. But in no time out of sight as well. I want to see a band with a heart, not a machine.  And I never had that feeling this strong and hopefully it is just me....

I hope they will try to get a little bit more loose on the production of the show in the near future. Purification Please.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #771 on: December 03, 2020, 03:49:14 AM »
I've seen them on three MP era tours with that looser approach and I mostly hated that approach. I'm relived things are the way they are now.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Pettor

« Reply #772 on: December 03, 2020, 04:42:00 AM »
Not sure why, but this release didn't get me super excited. Maybe I had enough of different versions of SFAM. Live in New York and 4th Wall was good enough. The first set isn't maybe my favourite either with Nightmare being a 50% good song.

Listening to Spotify I am genuinely surprised how good this was! The sound is really nice and heavy. I think LaBrie sounds really good actually. Some good work on the effects and there's some small additions he does that I like. In Nightmare he sings the part "I am endlessly falling, lost in this wonderful miserYY" with some falsetto (maybe?!) on the Y. I really loved that  ;D This was really a good version of Nightmare!

SFAM is a fantastic album and even if this sadly doesn't change or add anything special to the songs they are executed perfectly! They sound great and will be enjoyable side by side with the original cd. However I wish they would add or change some parts more since that was always such a great part of DT performances!

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #773 on: December 03, 2020, 05:33:47 AM »

This was a bit of shame as I saw the Images and Words & Beyond tour and I thought they were starting to bring this stuff back more.
You had the funny stories from the album, the bass solo cover, the enter sandman surprise snippet, Liquid tension cover, extended intros/outros, rare songs. It was really brilliant in this regard.

The IW&B tour was the best I've seen them in many a year, I'd hoped it was going to be a new start after the clinical Astonishing shows, but I guess not. Shame we never got that Back to Budokan DVD we were promised, that would have rocked.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #774 on: December 03, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
Really enjoying this new release! The band is really tight, the mix sounds great and the video looks amazing with all the live production they used for this tour, and I'm even in love with MM's smaller drum kit, which I thought at first would look weird on a proper live release.

I would've loved to see a couple more D/T songs or maybe ITPOE in full, but other than that, this is  :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #775 on: December 03, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
I would've loved to see a couple more D/T songs or maybe ITPOE in full, but other than that, this is  :metal :metal :metal

I'd totally remove SFAM to see a live performance of ITPOE in full, among other things. Not that Scenes wasn't awesome, but the full version of ITPOE is a very tempting offer.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #776 on: December 03, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »
I really liked this new release. Of course, I really love Scenes, so how could I not? Since they played it nearly identical to the album, the biggest things that stood out to me were James' & Mangini's variations throughout. The end of Finally Free had me on edge... land on the 1 Mike... land... on... the... ahhhh nice.

-Tof

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #777 on: December 03, 2020, 02:25:06 PM »

I'd totally remove SFAM to see a live performance of ITPOE in full, among other things. Not that Scenes wasn't awesome, but the full version of ITPOE is a very tempting offer.
Trustful boy, unaware who is watching. Open the door, I am right behind you.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #778 on: December 03, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »

I never saw Scenes live so I wouldn't want to forgo that, but 1 and 2 together are in my top 5 songs.  I listen to them in CIM very often.  Anyway seeing part 1 was the next best thing! :metal   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #779 on: December 03, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »
I watched ANTR and laughed at Rudess flicking the cymbal a couple of times.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #780 on: December 03, 2020, 10:35:02 PM »
Got my copy last night from Century Media. It's alright. I think already owning the Live Scenes From New York album kind of tempered my excitement for this one (plus Breaking the 4th Wall covered a few tracks for the 15th anniversary as well). It's just okay. The audience feels a bit muted at times, kind of kills the energy I love about live albums in general. I like that ANTR and ITPOE were included with the DoT songs. Wish we could have gotten a track or two from Astonishing (Gift of Music or something), since that never really got a dedicated live release.

Probably the live DT release I'll go back to the least.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #781 on: December 03, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »
I really liked this new release. Of course, I really love Scenes, so how could I not? Since they played it nearly identical to the album, the biggest things that stood out to me were James' & Mangini's variations throughout. The end of Finally Free had me on edge... land on the 1 Mike... land... on... the... ahhhh nice.

-Tof

:lol :lol :lol :lol

:tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: December 03, 2020, 11:40:41 PM »

Ditto.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pettor

« Reply #783 on: December 04, 2020, 12:46:14 AM »
Ditto! Actually what is the general thoughts about SFAM once again being in the spotlight? Do you guys think it was exciting that DT once again focused on SFAM or would you have wanted something more traditional with a setlist containing old and new songs? Should actually make a poll of that 🤔

I definitely feel that SFAM and specially TSCO / TDOE has been overdone now. It's still a great release and SFAM is performed perfectly, but the first part of the setlist is what gets my engines running for this release and I get a lot more excited about the idea of playing ITPOE 1&2 than hearing SFAM again. Or maybe even TCOT or TGP 😭 Whyyyyyy do we still lack good live releases of these fan favourites!?!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: December 04, 2020, 12:50:34 AM »
Yeah I love SFAM (it's my #2 in their discography) but I'd like to see them give another album some love and attention now. We already had a live release of the full SFAM, so now we have two.

Perhaps Six Degrees next?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #785 on: December 04, 2020, 12:55:13 AM »
Yeah I love SFAM (it's my #2 in their discography) but I'd like to see them give another album some love and attention now. We already had a live release of the full SFAM, so now we have two.

Perhaps Six Degrees next?
Those are my two favorite albums, but I doubt about six degrees :
1) They played the 45 mins song on various occasions (score etc)
2) The glass prison and the 12 steps suite isn't probably a priority to play for them, since portnoy plays it occasionnally
3) The other songs aren't that famous (even if blind faith etc are masterpieces to me, I'll listen to them forever)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #786 on: December 04, 2020, 02:50:07 AM »
How many of you are having trouble finding this DVD/Blu-ray? I wish there was a digital version I can just purchase. I'm in Australia and it looks like it won't be released until January 2021.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #787 on: December 04, 2020, 03:06:15 AM »
Ditto! Actually what is the general thoughts about SFAM once again being in the spotlight? Do you guys think it was exciting that DT once again focused on SFAM or would you have wanted something more traditional with a setlist containing old and new songs? Should actually make a poll of that 🤔

I definitely feel that SFAM and specially TSCO / TDOE has been overdone now. It's still a great release and SFAM is performed perfectly, but the first part of the setlist is what gets my engines running for this release and I get a lot more excited about the idea of playing ITPOE 1&2 than hearing SFAM again. Or maybe even TCOT or TGP 😭 Whyyyyyy do we still lack good live releases of these fan favourites!?!

I selfishly cherish the idea because 20 years ago I couldn't see the full performance of the album, and so two decades later I finally got to hear my favorite album of all time in full, including Through Her Eyes which was the only song I never heard off the album up until February. But enough with albums anniversaries already.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #788 on: December 04, 2020, 06:16:07 AM »

I selfishly cherish the idea because 20 years ago I couldn't see the full performance of the album, and so two decades later I finally got to hear my favorite album of all time in full, including Through Her Eyes which was the only song I never heard off the album up until February. But enough with albums anniversaries already.

Yeah, as far as seeing a live concert I actually enjoy it even if anniversaries need to stop now! 😁 Just that for a live album where their previous one already had a anniversary for it was maaaybe became a bit much.

4th Wall for me was excellent and I very much enjoy the  picks they did for that one even if the songs themselves aren't my usual favourites. But that's part of it. Sometimes the live album can bring songs that I don't usually listen to on CD and transform them into favorites even. Illumination Theory on 4th Wall made that song go from good to gawd damn epic!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #789 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:33 AM »
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really cannot make any sense of the "DT has no heart now" argument.

I miss lots of things of the MP era, but one of the things I cherish the most from the MM era live shows is that the band looks happier and more engaged in their live performance than ever. There's a moment at the very end of At Wit's End when JLB smiles and looks at JP while he's playing the outro solo that just made me happy. If that's not "heart", then I really don't know what it is.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Guitargod

« Reply #790 on: December 04, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »
It’s the best sounding live release since Score. Mangini’s sound breathes for the the first time since auditions. Rudess and Myung are beast as always. Even with auto tune LaBrie is terrible, mispronounced words and unclear vowels make him sound like that replicant from Chile.
But for me, the most disappointing guy here is Petrucci. I was at Berlin show in June and I remember where his sound was very sloppy and out of tempo. I watched almost all performances of SFAM show and this particular show’s camRip. It seems like he re-recorded every single solo in the studio, obviously in FT and INTPOE. I cannot bear my guitar hero fakes his playing and backing vocals.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #791 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:25 AM »
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really cannot make any sense of the "DT has no heart now" argument.

I miss lots of things of the MP era, but one of the things I cherish the most from the MM era live shows is that the band looks happier and more engaged in their live performance than ever. There's a moment at the very end of At Wit's End when JLB smiles and looks at JP while he's playing the outro solo that just made me happy. If that's not "heart", then I really don't know what it is.

In my opinion, we all sometimes make the mistake of confusing "I don't like this" with "this has no heart". We want to try and explain things, so we start throwing words at the wall. I remember reading that someone thought The Astonishing was "uninspired", to which I was very confused, because the band probably spent ungodly amounts of money producing that record, and would not have done so if they were not inspired. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #792 on: December 04, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »

Do you mean for the concert or for purposes of a live release?

For me, I was super happy to get a full performance of SFAM because I missed that tour.  In general, I think folks who saw one or more shows on the SFAM tour were less enthused about it.  I also think it's the overwhelming opinion of folks who post here on DTF that no more "anniversary" shows are needed for a while.

For purposes of a live release, I don't need it because I own LSFNY and have watched it dozens of times.  I haven't yet bought the new release and am on the fence as to whether I ever will (I definitely won't buy the album but might buy a DVD or Blue Ray).  Primarily, that's because (1) LSFNY exists, (2) I wasn't a fan of the non-DOT songs in the first set, and (3) as far as I know, there a no bonus features (or nothing of sufficient significance to make me want to buy it notwithstanding #1 and #2.  I think the general consensus is that another release of the entirety of SFAM wasn't needed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #793 on: December 04, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
Honestly, I don't think we needed another live album with SFAM in full, as LSFNY exists, and would've loved to get a more varied setlist for the tour (maybe a couple more D/T songs, as well as some other stuff). I would've LOVED to catch one of the shows, though, but they never ever come here on tour :'(

Having said that, I was comparing this album to Live Scenes and I was surprised at how good these new versions of the SFAM songs are, I even ended up liking most of these more than the previous live versions  :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #794 on: December 04, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
The thing though with Live Scenes, is the band, JP, doesn't feel like that truly represents the album. JP laughed when they were talking about the Actors on Live Scenes (Hypnotherapist, I am looking at you) during I think Chris Jerichos Podcast. In Finally Free, on Live Scenes, the actor speaks too fast that JP has to speed up the intro and you can hear people yelling "SLOW DOWN".  Distant Scenes, they say, is how they wanted it to be presented.

And personally, I am loving this more so than Live Scenes, I never enjoyed the mix, and never enjoyed the Scenes portion much, other than the choir, Theresa, and the Metropolis '00 ending (basically the Live Rehearsal ending from The FII demoes, that was only played that night), and the extended solo for Through Her Eyes. What sucks about Live Scenes is the exclusion of the 2nd set, the bonus material doesn't count to me. I don't mind the visual effects much.

From what I have seen, It looks fantastic. Might end up being the best since Budakon. Live at Luna Park, and BT4W have mix issues for me with the keys and drums. This one though, the keys are very audible, and the drums sound massive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #795 on: December 04, 2020, 10:15:07 AM »

That heart is felt in JP's Solo's in the ITPOE pt.1 intro solo. The At Wit's End outro solo, Through Her Eyes, and the many other JP solos.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #796 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:36 AM »
In my opinion, we all sometimes make the mistake of confusing "I don't like this" with "this has no heart". We want to try and explain things, so we start throwing words at the wall. I remember reading that someone thought The Astonishing was "uninspired", to which I was very confused, because the band probably spent ungodly amounts of money producing that record, and would not have done so if they were not inspired. :lol

So true, my friend. Very eloquently spoken. It also reminds me of the "DT is more machine than man now with MM" (just like Obi-Wan described Darth Vader in Ep. IV) thing that usually overlooks that they literally put out a double album full of heartfelt piano-driven pieces of music. "But it has no heart because MP was the soul of DT and would never have allowed a travesty like The Astonishing to exist!"; now that's just you saying you prefer MP over MM and that you miss him in a very toxic and non-argumentative way.

That heart is felt in JP's Solo's in the ITPOE pt.1 intro solo. The At Wit's End outro solo, Through Her Eyes, and the many other JP solos.

Of course. JP has always been an incredibly expressive guitar player, and it's up to DT fans to usually defend him against the "he's just a fast shredder, no soul bro" comments (which now ironically are directed towards MM by these same fans lol). Also for some reason, although JLB's voice is obviously not what it once was, there's a lot of expression in his singing. This truly has been a great era for him in terms of crowd interaction and overall vibes on the stage. The man is enjoying the hell out of these concerts and it shows.

Also, how cool is JR occasionally hitting MM's cymbals?  :lol

MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #797 on: December 04, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »

There's also a part on ITPOE where JP is up there next to the drum kit, he looks at Mike and they both play the same variaton of the riff, while laughing and having a great time.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #798 on: December 04, 2020, 10:46:32 AM »
Just to add to this conversation: The heart is felt basically in every moment when they show a close up of any of the 5 guys' faces and they smile. And they smile a lot.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #799 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »

There's also a part on ITPOE where JP is up there next to the drum kit, he looks at Mike and they both play the same variaton of the riff, while laughing and having a great time.

That's what's cool about Mangini, how he can play along to their rhythm in their Riffs.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #800 on: December 04, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »

Spot on, both of you.

This whole "feel" and "heart" stuff is soooooooooooo subjective people might as well start saying, "My problem with DT now is they just aren't cool anymore. They're just lacking it."

Sometimes I wonder why people bother showing up to this board anymore if everything DT has done since Portnoy left has been so lackluster.

I mean, I was worried with The Astonishing which I pretty much hated. There was a moment where I even thought, "Gee, if this next album isn't that great, I think I'm going to find another place to dick around when I'm killing time on the web." I mean, I barely will respond to anything when The Astonishing comes up because it's actually pretty boring to repeat, "Nyah, I don't like it." Plus, I LOVE that other people like it. I would be bummed if nobody did because then it truly would have been a waste. As it stands, that period in DT's history was a waste for me. DT has no responsibility to me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #801 on: December 04, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »

Spot on, both of you.

This whole "feel" and "heart" stuff is soooooooooooo subjective people might as well start saying, "My problem with DT now is they just aren't cool anymore. They're just lacking it."

Sometimes I wonder why people bother showing up to this board anymore if everything DT has done since Portnoy left has been so lackluster.

I mean, I was worried with The Astonishing which I pretty much hated. There was a moment where I even thought, "Gee, if this next album isn't that great, I think I'm going to find another place to dick around when I'm killing time on the web." I mean, I barely will respond to anything when The Astonishing comes up because it's actually pretty boring to repeat, "Nyah, I don't like it." Plus, I LOVE that other people like it. I would be bummed if nobody did because then it truly would have been a waste. As it stands, that period in DT's history was a waste for me. DT has no responsibility to me.

This.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #802 on: December 04, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »
So after trying many times to get the Blu Ray to work and it keep on skipping, I sent it back to Amazon and in the meantime they sent me out a replacement whicb came today. Just popped in the second disc to check it out and to my annoyance its doing the exact same thing!

Anyone else playing it on a PS4 and having the same issue? It just keeps freezing and skipping. 2nd BluRay disc.

If not could someone try it on a (Base) PS4 and let me know? I'm amazed its happened again tbh. If I cant get it to work I will just send back and get money back screw it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #803 on: December 04, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »
er, maybe try it on a different device before sending it back?

It's possible that it's a problem with your device, not the DVD

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #804 on: December 04, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
Blu-Ray players aren't that expensive.