Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93419 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #525 on: November 18, 2020, 12:17:15 AM »

Sadly, I am not excited about this release at all and doubt I will buy it.  I barely watch most of the concert DVD's/Blu-rays I have now, and I don't need another full performance of Scenes.  Sure, it would be cool to get a couple of those D/T songs, but I just know it is a concert I would never watch.

Yeah, this is how I feel too.

I have pre-ordered it, but it's really only for having a complete live DVD/BR collection from them at this point. I've barely watched their latest ones more than once.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #526 on: November 18, 2020, 05:45:39 AM »
I’ll listen to it through YoutubeMusic, but it’s the first DT DVD I won’t buy. Mostly looking forward to hearing MM on those songs that they hadn’t previously recorded with him.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #527 on: November 18, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »
I may get this as I've been enjoying their last 2 (4th Wall, Luna Park) over the past couple weeks. Probably worth it alone just to hear/see Mangini playing Scenes.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #528 on: November 18, 2020, 11:52:46 AM »
I really hope DT uploads all of these songs to their official YT channel. It's all gonna end up all there anyway, so they better be the firsts in uploading the concert and hopefully gain back some views over unofficial people who upload stuff and get all the views (like those horrible yellow subtitle BTFW videos that always show up on YouTube).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: November 18, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
I really hope DT uploads all of these songs to their official YT channel. It's all gonna end up all there anyway, so they better be the firsts in uploading the concert and hopefully gain back some views over unofficial people who upload stuff and get all the views (like those horrible yellow subtitle BTFW videos that always show up on YouTube).

I wouldn't expect them to do that, I'd bet the music goes up though as that's usually the case for all the bands now a days.  They'll hold back the video to try and sell more IMO, even with the pirating.  Those pirated videos often end up being shitty quality to avoid the auto copyright protection. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #530 on: November 18, 2020, 12:57:48 PM »
Sooo the trailer is BS?  :yeahright
Unless they have sent promos without all the actual footage, I would say the trailer is BS
I bought the artbook, they are one of my favorite bands, but sometimes I really think they are completely out of touch with their fan base and the general public to notice these things.
Quality control for that sort of thing is a miss nowadays. People can fault him all they want, but even for something small like this, MP would've never let it happen. He methodically made sure every detail was just right

That is why I say, it's all MP, and MP is a MUSIC FAN. MP took it upon himself to do these things, and it's a lot of work to do. Which is why I understand MP's reason for wanting a hiatus, but it wasn't one I agreed with as he could've let others control these aspects. But, as you can see here, he didn't want to, because he is a MUSIC FAN that became a MUSICIAN, and in turn really pays attention and understands what a MUSIC FAN wants. MP is a unique musician. A lot of musicians do not think like MP in terms of product output and fan reaction. He is one whom I can say Truly cares about the fans perspectives and thoughts, and takes it into consideration a lot.

I appreciate MP for all of his efforts, and respect him for it, it's the main reason why I am a fan of MP.

Dream Theater, I am a fan of because of many, many different reasons, that the bad outweighs the good for me, and I can look past that. JLB doesn't have a really popular tone of voice, but it has become the tone of Dream Theater, along with JP and JM. Images and Words was what is was, in due part, because of Kevin Moore, his style and keyboard patches. I consider KM to be very integral to the I&W sound and reason for it being a classic. It is unfortunate to know that KM starting drifting away from where the band wanted to go, musically, and it affected the writing and sound for their next album, which we got with Awake, and many here have posted their opinions on KM's patch choices on the album.

With Jordan Rudess, Dream Theater was then able to incorporate more complex musicality into their music writing and composing. This is when you can hear more Patch transitions, and sounds in Dream Theaters music. JR to this day still is creating new sounds and patches, that he incorporates in the live setting.

Jordan Rudess changing his patches, JP's beautiful tone, JM's excellent bass work (also tone), and now Mangini's technical drumming, along with the lyrics of the songs, is why I go see Dream Theater live, and will always go if I am able to, until the day the curtain calls. I may even buy a ticket to that very last show.

There will never ever be a perfect band for me. Unless, I myself make that band, even at that, it'd have to be like how Devin Townsend did his Crappy Halloween Party, clones of myself.  :lol

In other words, I am buying this album, for the live versions of these songs. I actually prefer listening to Live albums, for the energy you can only get with a live show.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #531 on: November 18, 2020, 02:03:44 PM »

Sadly, I am not excited about this release at all and doubt I will buy it.  I barely watch most of the concert DVD's/Blu-rays I have now, and I don't need another full performance of Scenes.  Sure, it would be cool to get a couple of those D/T songs, but I just know it is a concert I would never watch.

I have pre-ordered it, but it's really only for having a complete live DVD/BR collection from them at this point. I've barely watched their latest ones more than once.

I would've bought the one from The Astonishing tour had they released that, but, yeah... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #532 on: November 18, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
Are we really that bothered about something said in the trailer? I’m sure you will be able to see the track listing on the album so will know what you are getting. I can totally understand people wanting to buy it or not wanting to buy it but some guy on a trailer saying it’s 3 hours when it’s only 2.5 is not really going to influence any of us one way or the other.

I am buying it for completists sake but it’s probably the least excited I’ve ever been for a DT album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: November 18, 2020, 03:51:48 PM »
Are we really that bothered about something said in the trailer? I’m sure you will be able to see the track listing on the album so will know what you are getting. I can totally understand people wanting to buy it or not wanting to buy it but some guy on a trailer saying it’s 3 hours when it’s only 2.5 is not really going to influence any of us one way or the other.

I am buying it for completists sake but it’s probably the least excited I’ve ever been for a DT album.

It's more of a cumulation of  :facepalm: moments from the band.  But in what world do you advertise for something that isn't being delivered?  If any other advertisement said one thing and the product was something else, it would be shat upon.  I don't think anyone is buying this based on that one line in the trailer so it really probably isn't that big of a deal, but the lack of attention to detail in the public forum is a bit odd and sadly consistent.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #534 on: November 18, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
But in what world do you advertise for something that isn't being delivered?

Politics ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: November 18, 2020, 03:57:13 PM »
But in what world do you advertise for something that isn't being delivered?

Politics ;)

:lol fair enough

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #536 on: November 18, 2020, 04:30:36 PM »

It's more of a cumulation of  :facepalm: moments from the band.  But in what world do you advertise for something that isn't being delivered?  If any other advertisement said one thing and the product was something else, it would be shat upon.  I don't think anyone is buying this based on that one line in the trailer so it really probably isn't that big of a deal, but the lack of attention to detail in the public forum is a bit odd and sadly consistent.

Dude, it's marketing. It's exaggerating the fact it's almost 3 hours of content. They round up the number to put emphasis to get people to buy it. It's a stupid marketing strategy. Obviously, no one here is buying it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #538 on: November 18, 2020, 06:17:14 PM »
Review sounds promising...thanks for sharing!

Offline 425

« Reply #539 on: November 18, 2020, 11:22:21 PM »
Finally got around to watching the Fatal Tragedy video. It actually pushed me toward deciding to get this release. I share all the major complaints that some have about post-Portnoy live performances (click track, piped-in vocals, less improvisation), but when I watched that knowing those are just things I'm going to have to live with, I really enjoyed it.

An important thing to me in live performances is that they present a somewhat different version of the song than the one I'm used to. This one had enough to set it apart from the studio version, in part because Mangini really seems to approach this song pretty differently. I also tend to be more of a Portnoy fan, but his different approach here intrigued me, and I'll be interested to see if we'll get any analyses of what his doing on Scenes as a whole from some of the more devoted Mangini fans here after the full package is released.

Regarding James: I mean, there's no question that he's lost a step compared since 2000. But I think he's generally found an approach that works for him to do a good enough job live. I had no problems with his performance when I saw them on the Astonishing tour, at least. That plus whatever studio wizardry was done in post results in a performance that I don't think detracts from the whole package. I'm more concerned, as others have mentioned before, about how he looks in this video, just from a health perspective.

Side note: It amuses me how you can watch any DT video from any year and four of the band members will look different in terms of apparent age, hairstyle, facial hair, stage antics, obviously identity... but John Myung always stays the same.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: November 18, 2020, 11:31:54 PM »

That's where I am at in my life. But it's not a slight on DT. If this came out when I was single and didn't have any TV service, I'd pre-order it no question. Now my time is tied up in raising my kids and YouTube.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kocak

« Reply #541 on: November 19, 2020, 03:54:10 AM »
I cannot find any information on the mixing of this particular release. Does anyone know who the Mixing Engineer was?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #542 on: November 19, 2020, 04:25:49 AM »
I cannot find any information on the mixing of this particular release. Does anyone know who the Mixing Engineer was?

Thanks in advance.
I'm quite sure it was Jimmy T.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #543 on: November 19, 2020, 06:39:21 AM »

Thanks in advance.
I'm quite sure it was Jimmy T.

Yeah, JP mentioned on recent interviews.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: November 19, 2020, 07:42:24 AM »

Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #545 on: November 19, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »
It does.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: November 19, 2020, 08:04:53 AM »
Additional audio editing by John Arbuckle?

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #547 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:14 AM »
Additional audio editing by John Arbuckle?

:lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: November 19, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
That's awesome! But didn't he spell it Jon?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #549 on: November 19, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »

Yes but for the love of God turn your smart side of your brain off dammit! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »

Yes but for the love of God turn your smart side of your brain off dammit! :lol

Cool&Smart Chris
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: November 19, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »
I was never in to comics. It was just not my thing. But I loved Garfield. Looking back, I have no idea why.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #552 on: November 21, 2020, 11:20:50 AM »

I would've bought the one from The Astonishing tour had they released that, but, yeah... :facepalm: :facepalm:

The Astonishing has always been the glaring omission for me. You put all of that work into a concept like that and don't commemorate it with a live album?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #553 on: November 21, 2020, 11:25:12 AM »
Had the album been embraced by the fanbase, they would have easily done it. However, it was very polarizing. Why put the money into recording a live version of an album that a lot of fans didn't care for?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #554 on: November 21, 2020, 11:55:38 AM »
Had the album been embraced by the fanbase, they would have easily done it. However, it was very polarizing. Why put the money into recording a live version of an album that a lot of fans didn't care for?

If you believe in something that strongly, you have the conviction to see it through and not cave to fan pressure. They were all in until about midway through that tour and then they caved and fell back on Images and Words 25. Not to make this about Portnoy because he absolutely has nothing to do with it, but he would have fought for it. It was even better live musically.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #555 on: November 21, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »

If you believe in something that strongly, you have the conviction to see it through and not cave to fan pressure. They were all in until about midway through that tour and then they caved and fell back on Images and Words 25. Not to make this about Portnoy because he absolutely has nothing to do with it, but he would have fought for it. It was even better live musically.

But there are times when it is necessary to admit defeat.

They tried. They did the record, the tour, many fans hated it.

I think it is unfair to blame them for not insisting anymore.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: November 21, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »
It may not have even been the bands decision but maybe there was no record label that wanted to put out such a live release when no one was going to the shows on that second leg of the tour. I would have bought it and probably loved it but I understand that the album was not well received by many.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #557 on: November 21, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »
At least they played it live, I remember Judas Priest's Nostradamus was announced as an album that would have been played live in its entirety, and for the entire tour they played a whopping TWO songs from a double disc album  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #558 on: November 21, 2020, 03:19:37 PM »
At least they played it live, I remember Judas Priest's Nostradamus was announced as an album that would have been played live in its entirety, and for the entire tour they played a whopping TWO songs from a double disc album  :lol
You must be mistaken - you think you read that they were playing 2 CDs, but they said they were playing 2 songs!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #559 on: November 21, 2020, 03:40:53 PM »

Totally agree.  By "caving in" for lack of a better term, as you said, they let the critics win, and the many fans who love the album, and there are many us, lost.  I would be lying if I said that didn't dent my faith in the band and their decision-making.  After being tired of the band for much of the late 00's, since it felt like the Portnoy and Friends show from a PR and public image standpoint, they had won me back over as a diehard fan for much of the 10's, but while they will likely always be one of my two or three favorite bands ever, my fandom doesn't have the same joy it did four or five years ago.  And hey, that is me problem, not their problem, but I am just saying.