Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93201 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #490 on: November 11, 2020, 08:25:48 AM »
Official audio for Fatal Tragedy already on Youtube: https://youtu.be/sX1HIc4fQaw

Vid is no longer available and comments have been turned off. What gives? I haven't seen it yet.

Edit: Seems to be working now.

That link shows vid is no longer available for me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dau5acQfaww this works

Offline Mladen

« Reply #491 on: November 11, 2020, 09:37:26 AM »
There's a lot of "secret sauce" in the mix of a live show that they prefer to stay a mystery even if it's pretty much common knowledge among the hardcore fans, so they won't really readily admit to them ;)
I find this very interesting.

A day or two ago, I watched the most recent Q&A you did with Jordan and John, and they were asked why the live video for Pale blue dot features the intro from the studio album instead of the actual intro they use in the concerts. I assume that the speech the play in the shows cannot be used for the live recording for copyright reasons. The fan community is aware of similar situations from the past. However, Jordan and John completely avoided addressing that. I have a feeling they like messing with us a bit.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #492 on: November 11, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
Most bands I listen to put at least some of the backing vocals on tape. The math is simple, if you have only one guy who's kinda willing and kinda able to do backing vocals live, it's never gonna come off great. When it was MP and JP, they could cover each other.

I don't know about covering for each other, but it's worth pointing out that the backing vocals on the chorus of Fatal Tragedy are a 2-part harmony, which JP obviously couldn't do by himself.  JP and MP yacking that part up on LSFNY is one of the only parts of that album/video that makes me cringe.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: November 12, 2020, 09:52:33 AM »
I just realized there's a different cover to the new live release in Europe

https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Dream_Theater_-_Distant_Memories_-_Live_in_London_-Ltd-_Deluxe_3CD-2Blu-ray-2DVD_Artbook-/16709

Pretty cool.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: November 12, 2020, 09:55:38 AM »
Is that for Europe or for the artbook? 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: November 12, 2020, 10:22:42 AM »
Is that for Europe or for the artbook?

Upon further reading, it's for the Artbook

Offline Lupton

« Reply #496 on: November 12, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »
I don't mind JP adding (mixed out) backup vocals over pre-recorded JL backup vox piped through the PA.  But JP seriously needs to work on his guitar face though. I'm just not "feeling" the notes. The notes always sound 113% better when the correct guitar facial technique is applied. Also, if he could learn how to spin and flip his guitar around like a "proper" rock star that would improve his stature among the greats immensely.   ;)

I hope everyone can tell I'm joking? No? ... OK then I stand by statements as absolute pillars of immutable FACT.  :justjen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #497 on: November 12, 2020, 03:22:00 PM »
But JP seriously needs to work on his guitar face though. I'm just not "feeling" the notes. The notes always sound 113% better when the correct guitar facial technique is applied. Also, if he could learn how to spin and flip his guitar around like a "proper" rock star that would improve his stature among the greats immensely.   ;)

Also, John Myung needs to apply fur to his basses.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:48:00 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #498 on: November 13, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #499 on: November 13, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
I think that's the special edition cover.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lupton

« Reply #500 on: November 13, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »
But JP seriously needs to work on his guitar face though. I'm just not "feeling" the notes. The notes always sound 113% better when the correct guitar facial technique is applied. Also, if he could learn how to spin and flip his guitar around like a "proper" rock star that would improve his stature among the greats immensely.   ;)

Also, John Myung needs to apply fur to his basses.

Yep thats how we do it in my neck of the woods.  :natalieportman:

To be fair JP does have a few nice "rock star" moves (ex. points to sky in BAI solo climax.) ...and every now and then he shows his bare teeth

Offline pg1067

« Reply #501 on: November 13, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
To be fair JP does have a few nice "rock star" moves (ex. points to sky in BAI solo climax.) ...and every now and then he shows his bare teeth

He used to have this stare that was actually a little unnerving the first couple times I saw DT.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: November 17, 2020, 08:13:47 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: November 17, 2020, 08:37:17 AM »
I watched the concvert last night and it was annoying "hearing" Petrucci with James Labrie voice during the choruses

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #504 on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »
Did you have a review copy? How'd you get it so early.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: November 17, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »

Yes, a review copy

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #506 on: November 17, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »
Ah okay, I'm out of the loop with who everyone is on DTF these days. Rarely find the time to browse or post.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #507 on: November 17, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
The official trailer is here:

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1328716399976587269?s=20

I find it very weird that they first drop two full song videos and then they release the trailer :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #508 on: November 17, 2020, 11:53:59 AM »
^That's the first thing I thought too.  The trailer is almost pointless at this point(less)
 ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: November 17, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »
Also was thinking that but from looking at the trailer, maybe they saw the feedback on the seated crowd so did an edit that made it look more like an exciting rock concert.

Offline Kram

« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »
I still think it looks cool the way it's filmed

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2020, 01:06:04 PM »
I think part of the reason why it's harder to accept with DT is because it wasn't always this way. When MP was in the band, all the backing vocals were live. Yeah, maybe it didn't sound exactly like on the album, but no one going to see a concert is going to expect that. And they're real vocals - not taped performances. To me, these recorded backing vocals are just as bad as the canned audience loops on L@LP - fake, not the genuine article. They come off as disingenuous.

Yeah, I think it's awful.

What else is fake? Is JP actually not playing his solos? Is JLB lip synching too? I mean where does it end?

Unbeknownst to us they’ve been miming to Distant Memories the whole tour, and it’s been ready for release since D/T came out :lol

In a sick and twisted way, this would actually be incredibly impressive. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #512 on: November 17, 2020, 01:59:54 PM »
Yes, a review copy
Since you have a copy of it, can you tell us what is the extra music included besides Paralyzed? The trailer announces that there will be "over 3 hours of music", and yet I have a bootleg of one of the shows from early in the tour and it clocks in at 2 hours and 26 minutes. Granted it has PMU instead of AWE for the encore, so let's add 2 minutes on for that, and add another 6 minutes (being generous) for Paralyzed. That still just pushes it over the 2.5 hour mark. What else might there be so that it's over 3 hours of music, or is that an exaggeration from whoever did the trailer?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #513 on: November 17, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »
Yes, a review copy
Since you have a copy of it, can you tell us what is the extra music included besides Paralyzed? The trailer announces that there will be "over 3 hours of music", and yet I have a bootleg of one of the shows from early in the tour and it clocks in at 2 hours and 26 minutes. Granted it has PMU instead of AWE for the encore, so let's add 2 minutes on for that, and add another 6 minutes (being generous) for Paralyzed. That still just pushes it over the 2.5 hour mark. What else might there be so that it's over 3 hours of music, or is that an exaggeration from whoever did the trailer?

I've had a review copy for quite some time as well. Set list is what we know, so I don't know if anything else is missing but there's nothing more than paralyzed and AWE.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: November 17, 2020, 02:48:46 PM »
Yes, a review copy

I noticed this as well and just assumed the math worked out, but I think you are right, because there's no intermission, the show is definitely not a full 3 hours even if you include Paralyzed so the 3 hours of music seems off, unless maybe they included music videos?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: November 17, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »
Yes, a review copy

My promo copy is divided in 2 files one clock at 57.01 minutes and the other one at 1.34.14
Only Paralyzed as a bonus track, no music videos, nada.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: November 17, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
Sooo the trailer is BS?  :yeahright

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: November 17, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »

Unless they have sent promos without all the actual footage, I would say the trailer is BS

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: November 17, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »

Unless they have sent promos without all the actual footage, I would say the trailer is BS

I bought the artbook, they are one of my favorite bands, but sometimes I really think they are completely out of touch with their fan base and the general public to notice these things.

Offline Hypnotherapist

Re: Memórias Distantes - Novo lançamento ao vivo
« Reply #519 on: November 17, 2020, 06:44:37 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #520 on: November 17, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »
The official trailer is here:

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1328716399976587269?s=20

I find it very weird that they first drop two full song videos and then they release the trailer :lol

Yes, that is totally fucked. No idea who is calling the shots, but WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #521 on: November 17, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »
I thought it was odd that the trailer barely had any singing in it. The only time you heard JLB was the London greeting and the brief clip of the Untethered Angel chorus.  I am sure some would say that is a good thing :lol, but I found it interesting. 

Sadly, I am not excited about this release at all and doubt I will buy it.  I barely watch most of the concert DVD's/Blu-rays I have now, and I don't need another full performance of Scenes.  Sure, it would be cool to get a couple of those D/T songs, but I just know it is a concert I would never watch.

Offline fischermasamune

Re: Memórias Distantes - Novo lançamento ao vivo
« Reply #522 on: November 17, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
In the images published on the Nuclear Blast website (Germany) it has a total duration of (aprox.) 2H 25 M 15 S
Give an enlarged  ;) 4th. image https://www.nuclearblast.de/de/produkte/tontraeger/dvd-bluray/earbook/dream-theater-distant-memories-live-in-london-artbook.html 6th. image https://www.nuclearblast.de/de/produkte/tontraeger/cd/3cd-digi/dream-theater-distant-memories-live-in-london-2blu-ray.html

By my calculations using https://www.nuclearblast.de/de/produkte/tontraeger/cd/3cd-digi/dream-theater-distant-memories-live-in-london-2blu-ray.html it appears there are 2 hours, 29 minutes, 39 seconds of music, not counting the Atlas (Intro) nor the Behind The Scenes (which shouldn't be majoritarily of music anyway).

Well, if you count the CDs, the DVDs and the Blu-Rays it is about 7h30 of music, way over the advertised three hours.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: November 17, 2020, 08:41:01 PM »

Sadly, I am not excited about this release at all and doubt I will buy it.  I barely watch most of the concert DVD's/Blu-rays I have now, and I don't need another full performance of Scenes.  Sure, it would be cool to get a couple of those D/T songs, but I just know it is a concert I would never watch.

Yeah, this is how I feel too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #524 on: November 18, 2020, 12:12:50 AM »
I bought the artbook, they are one of my favorite bands, but sometimes I really think they are completely out of touch with their fan base and the general public to notice these things.
Quality control for that sort of thing is a miss nowadays. People can fault him all they want, but even for something small like this, MP would've never let it happen. He methodically made sure every detail was just right.

That said, one other pet peeve of mine related to this is when the band claims an Evening With show is "<insert number> hours long," but to get that number, they had to include the 15-20 minute intermission and round up the time a bit. Am I the only one who finds this misleading, not unlike the claim made in the trailer? Yes, the show may have begun at 7:30pm and ended at 10:25pm, but that doesn't mean your show was over 3 hours long when you end up taking a 20 minute intermission halfway through. That always irritated me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.