Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93312 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #385 on: November 06, 2020, 08:39:25 AM »
People still complaining with the drum sound on this one? W5F

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2020, 08:55:00 AM »
So sorry that they filmed a DVD from a sleepy sitting audiience. Its not a live material. So sad :-*

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »
I just watched Fatal Tradegy. So dissapointed. It's like I'm listening studio recording. Not just vocals, all other things sound so processed. Seems like this is the first offical relaese I will not buy.

From the begining I thought this is a wrong move by Dream Theater that recording SFAM second time and not include DoT in its entity while they had the chance along the way of tour. Well, they are DT and I guess they know what they are doing. This is just me complaining.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2020, 09:28:55 AM »
I thought it was great. It's pretty much what I heard, and JLB was that good at our show, hitting those highs.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2020, 09:38:33 AM »
I'm squinting at the phone trying to see if the bearded man in the front is someone from DTF :)

You mean the only person in the audience that knows he's at a concert?  :lol This is the worst crowd on a live release I can think of.  What a way to suck out the energy of a live concert and add in the not so live sound of it.... I'm not impressed at all with these two videos.  I already bought the nice artbook version, they are one of my favorite bands, and I will watch it when it arrives, but this isn't looking/sounding good.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2020, 09:57:02 AM »
Much happier with this than PBD, much more energy on stage. Still sucks to see a seated audience but I’ll live with that. Looking forward to the release more now than I was before so the video has done it’s job.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #391 on: November 06, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »
People still complaining with the drum sound on this one? W5F

I was surprised by how much I was okay with the drums on it. Though a lot of the cymbals seemed....gone? I saw him, a few times, doing what seemed like cool cymbal work but couldn't hear any of it at all. But what I could hear, generally sounded good.

The production, in general, was pretty good.

But it was still so sterile. It was a perfect album like replication. I just find that boring, but it seems DT and their fan base prefer it. Looks like I'll be skipping this purchase for that reason.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pettor

« Reply #392 on: November 06, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »
Haha shieet guys you are all too negative. Fatal Tragedy is the nuts and this was just crazy! Petrucci was rocking it hard and the solos was delivered with great energy imo. I got excited watching this!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: November 06, 2020, 11:22:26 AM »
Haha shieet guys you are all too negative. Fatal Tragedy is the nuts and this was just crazy! Petrucci was rocking it hard and the solos was delivered with great energy imo. I got excited watching this!  :metal

I really don't want to be so hard on one of my favorite bands, but I just watched the new live Blind Guardian video and while that was not as good from a sound or visual perspective, it was still more interesting because it actually looked and sounded live.  Then youtube started playing other live videos from various bands and I found them all way better in terms of capturing a live concert.  Maybe the crowd shouldn't bother me so much, but it really does.  I'm all about that live energy and it just feels dead here.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: November 06, 2020, 11:31:01 AM »
It just doesn't sound live. Except James, obviously, but work has clearly been done there even so. It sounded a bit more live than this in person.

I guess people who follow DT for their mathematical precision will lap it up, though. For me, drop the bloody click. (Perhaps these last two sentences would be better suited in the controversial opinions thread?)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: November 06, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
I still haven't figured out if JP is actually doing backup vocals or not. Looks like he mimes.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #396 on: November 06, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
It just doesn't sound live. Except James, obviously, but work has clearly been done there even so. It sounded a bit more live than this in person.

I guess people who follow DT for their mathematical precision will lap it up, though. For me, drop the bloody click. (Perhaps these last two sentences would be better suited in the controversial opinions thread?)

Do it!  :hat

Offline tuto

« Reply #397 on: November 06, 2020, 12:05:25 PM »
I still haven't figured out if JP is actually doing backup vocals or not. Looks like he mimes.
Those are pre-recored vocals. I'm okay withy that because
1) They don't even try to hide it
2) They pretty much use them at all live shows whether they are shooting a live album or not

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #398 on: November 06, 2020, 12:14:55 PM »

I follow them for their precision. This version is disappointing to me. Will not buy. (ah well, there is the Happy Holidays version. That one works.) But yes, clicks all the way.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:24:33 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Pettor

« Reply #399 on: November 06, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »
I should say precision is quite unimportant to me, I just like their stuff and how having precision and speed can help create awesome music  I thought the solo stuff was great here and a bit surprised by the response. Still Score is way better for the live experience and I really loved 4th wall, that had a way more energetic sound as well. The mix is quite unexciting which I guess is sad since it's going a bit towards Luna Park (but not that bad), a mistake I never expected to see again.

Btw nice with new Blind Guardian video. Hanson is a beast even when she starts hitting!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »
Those are pre-recored vocals. I'm okay withy that because
1) They don't even try to hide it
2) They pretty much use them at all live shows whether they are shooting a live album or not

Same here, because Rush does the same exact thing, and it's fine. Why can't it be fine for Dream Theater to do the same thing?

I blame this on not having mics towards the audience. But then, the crowd noise usually bleeds into the vocal mics. But that doesn't help much at all if the Crowd itself just isn't lively, and constantly roaring.

I really don't want to be so hard on one of my favorite bands, but I just watched the new live Blind Guardian video and while that was not as good from a sound or visual perspective, it was still more interesting because it actually looked and sounded live.  Then youtube started playing other live videos from various bands and I found them all way better in terms of capturing a live concert.  Maybe the crowd shouldn't bother me so much, but it really does.  I'm all about that live energy and it just feels dead here.

Blind Guardian usually draws livelier crowds though, Their style would just be weird with a sitting audience like this.

In all honesty, The crowds at the Dream Theater shows I've been to have been relatively calm. The crowd is so laid back, that Me being the One who stands, sings along, and headbangs, is considered obnoxious and detrimental to their show experience. I have only seen that type of crowd at shows here where the Audience tends to be more on the older end of the Age Spectrum, and happen to be more older bands. Rush, Kansas, Joe Satriani, Zappa Plays Zappa, Deep Purple, all these bands audiences are exactly the type of audience I see at Dream Theater shows now.

So, it's not the band that is getting old. It's the fans that are getting old, and they aren't really drawing much of a younger crowd. Or rather, the younger crowd, for some reason, are not going to the shows.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »

Didn't you expect it?

I went into this thread thinking "oh, let me see the negative comments about Fatal Tragedy"  :lol

Apparently, I was not mistaken.

Offline Kram

« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
Just watched it and it's obvious the vocals were overdubbed/fixed (probably a bit of both), but other than that, I loved it.  The performance of the band was great (especially Mangini) - and I love the look of it and the way it's filmed.  Still wondering what's up with Labrie's bloated face though?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: November 06, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »

But it was still so sterile. It was a perfect album like replication. I just find that boring, but it seems DT and their fan base prefer it. Looks like I'll be skipping this purchase for that reason.

Same here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:05:56 PM by DreamerTV »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #404 on: November 06, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
I just watched. I was there (can't figure out if this was my night or Friday yet).  I loved it.  Maybe I am still too fresh, only following DT for not quite 5 years and
not a musician. I just care about enjoying the music and seeing how they are, and this remembering the night!.  I hated sitting! I saw it 3 times in the states and didn't sit for any of those. It's a way better vibe. I rebelled as best as I could by standing between songs and when there were parts that I really, really loved. Maybe after the solo on FItL.  :metal  I can't remember, but there were many instances!

I have heard people say, it's a venue with seats, so you sit.  Nahh! I saw Live (not a big fan, but my hubby likes them) at a seated venue and no one sat. (who could sit with Gavin Rossdale anyway :blush) I like having the seats there though, so you can sit during intermission, and you don't have to be first in line to be at the stage and then wait. Also a good place to stash stuff.

Anyway, I loved the video, it sounded that good live and I have pre-ordered the art book version.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #405 on: November 06, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
Inside Out said on FB that this was taken from the second night, I was also there!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #406 on: November 06, 2020, 03:20:14 PM »
Inside Out said on FB that this was taken from the second night, I was also there!

Ooh, I guess I am going to have to look closer  ;)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #407 on: November 06, 2020, 03:22:16 PM »
Just saw Fatal Tragedy - I thought it was pretty awesome but did part of Jordan's keyboard go out during his solo at the 5:50 mark? This would have been the lower keys on the keyboard.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #408 on: November 06, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
I'd rather have a live recording that sounds a bit sterile than a live recording with looping canned audiences...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #409 on: November 06, 2020, 04:19:25 PM »
Bearded guy front row was great  :lol

The song sounds just fine to me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #410 on: November 06, 2020, 04:53:20 PM »
Just saw Fatal Tragedy - I thought it was pretty awesome but did part of Jordan's keyboard go out during his solo at the 5:50 mark? This would have been the lower keys on the keyboard.

I thought the same thing?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #411 on: November 06, 2020, 04:55:55 PM »
I'd rather have a live recording that sounds a bit sterile than a live recording with looping canned audiences...

I'd rather have a live recording that sounds a bit sterile than being kicked in the balls and robbed. I'm not sure why that matters though?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #412 on: November 06, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »
For me, drop the bloody click.

I just don't understand this. The click is a must if you want your music/lights/video elements to be synced perfectly with each other, and that's what the band wants for a great visual experience as well. Why is that wrong?

Megadeth plays live to a click, Haken plays live to a click, Steven Wilson plays live to a click... and I've only seen DT fans complain about this. Really?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline NoFred

« Reply #413 on: November 06, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »
Does anyone play to click for the visual elements but have stretches of no click? Seems reasonable enough. I don’t want anyone to be in the wrong spot for pyrotechnics, but there’s really a lot missing when bands play exact to studio.

Diego who was all over supporting Virus on social media :| did specifically point out that he wasn’t bound to click playing on Devin’s live album. And while I feel Devin writes infinite versions of the same sound, my one listen of that live release was engaging. I came away feeling that was a bunch of people making music, not playing tracks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #414 on: November 06, 2020, 06:32:02 PM »
Does anyone play to click for the visual elements but have stretches of no click? Seems reasonable enough. I don’t want anyone to be in the wrong spot for pyrotechnics, but there’s really a lot missing when bands play exact to studio.

Diego who was all over supporting Virus on social media :| did specifically point out that he wasn’t bound to click playing on Devin’s live album. And while I feel Devin writes infinite versions of the same sound, my one listen of that live release was engaging. I came away feeling that was a bunch of people making music, not playing tracks.

I don't get how playing to the tempo the song is recorded in equates to playing it exactly like the studio.

The click is just a set metronome, that replaces the tempo set by whomever sets the tempo for the song. With a click it lets the band play the song at the tempo it was written in. Which the band obviously enjoys doing now. Doesn't JM say he really enjoys playing the songs in the tempo they're in?

The tones are not the same as the recorded tracks. JPs not using his Ibanez anymore, and I feel, that contributed a lot to his older tone. Rudess always changes up patches and tries different ones. JM, is the main one who hasn't changed much, but his bass tone has slightly. And we know Mangini.

Also, Diego might not have been bound to a click, but doesn't mean Devin was using one to set the tempo for the rest of the guys.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #415 on: November 06, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »

I don't get how playing to the tempo the song is recorded in equates to playing it exactly like the studio.

The click is just a set metronome, that replaces the tempo set by whomever sets the tempo for the song. With a click it lets the band play the song at the tempo it was written in. Which the band obviously enjoys doing now. Doesn't JM say he really enjoys playing the songs in the tempo they're in?

The tones are not the same as the recorded tracks. JPs not using his Ibanez anymore, and I feel, that contributed a lot to his older tone. Rudess always changes up patches and tries different ones. JM, is the main one who hasn't changed much, but his bass tone has slightly. And we know Mangini.

Also, Diego might not have been bound to a click, but doesn't mean Devin was using one to set the tempo for the rest of the guys.

Very informative response to the question, thank you

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: November 06, 2020, 06:48:32 PM »
The click is a must if you want your music/lights/video elements to be synced perfectly with each other

Definitely not a must, but certainly makes it easier.  Plenty of bands have amazing light and stage shows that don't play to a click.  Iron Maiden and Metallica come to mind.  But those bands can afford to have someone there managing that vs a computer.  I think DT could easily get away without playing to a click and still have a solid light and stage show.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: November 06, 2020, 06:50:13 PM »
Maybe many venues are like this, but the front row seems really close to the stage.

Sounds good, and looks great. Wish they would have more of the backing screen visuals more often somehow.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #418 on: November 06, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
The click is a must if you want your music/lights/video elements to be synced perfectly with each other

Definitely not a must, but certainly makes it easier.  Plenty of bands have amazing light and stage shows that don't play to a click.  Iron Maiden and Metallica come to mind.  But those bands can afford to have someone there managing that vs a computer.  I think DT could easily get away without playing to a click and still have a solid light and stage show.

They could, but JP might think Mangini might go super sayan MP speed, on some of the difficult passages, and make him mess up the song.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #419 on: November 06, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »

They could, but JP might think Mangini might go super sayan MP speed, on some of the difficult passages, and make him mess up the song.

I recall reading comments by both JR and JP and they felt that in the MP era some songs were blazing fast when performed live, making them so difficult to play (The Glass Prison comes to mind). MP is amazing of course, but his live tempo was everywhere. I understand it's part of the live energy that makes you speed things up, but I can imagine they feel much calmer now that they are constantly playing to the same tempo each and every night.

I loved this version of Fatal Tragedy. It's basically the MM-era DT at its best in most regards, and I like how different this feels to the classic LSFNY version. I can imagine JP is actually singing but his recorded voice is probably mixed so low that it feels like lip synching, but that would be just absurd because JLB recorded some backup vocals for all these songs. I'd love to hear more of his voice, but I really don't mind. I don't feel as hurt as some people I've seen over YouTube in this matter: "Sacrilege! This is cheating! This is the last band I expected to do playback! Come on DT, you used to be better than this!" Meh, JP has never been a great singer so I really don't care if he keeps doing this. There was some true live magic back in the Portnoy era but this is good as well. It's cleaner. Also, the backing vocals for Scenes in Metropolis 2000 are awful lol (can see the "but at least they were live bro" comments a mile away).

Also, JLB sounds as good as he possibly can in his age, but I'm really curious about his physique. It's weird because he's noticeably getting older (which is of course normal and OK) but he keeps dyeing his hair and putting on new tattoos and stuff, kinda trying hard to pull off a rocking persona in his 50s. I really don't mind, as long as he's happy and he's healthy but it I really liked more his choice of clothing during the Train of Thought era, for example. I overall liked a lot DT's visual aesthetic during those days, as they didn't really fit visually into the "metal band" stereotype which was something cool (at least to me). Also, I dunno if he had something health-realted going on during those days because his face looks huge (I'm sure this has been discussed already lol). He looks fine nowadays, though, judging from his most recent videos.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:58:05 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing