Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93222 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2020, 07:54:07 AM »

Someone said earlier they have a BD player in one room and a DVD player in the other. That's legit, same thing at my house, but I would never spend the money to own a copy of the same thing on both medium.

I don't look at it as spending money to own both.  I look at it as buying a Blu-Ray and getting a free DVD.

Online faizoff

« Reply #316 on: October 22, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
It's similar to how so many 4k bluray releases also contains the regular bluray as well. You get two formats that help you ease into the other. But if you're only using one, then sell the other one. That's what I do at least sometimes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #317 on: October 22, 2020, 02:49:42 PM »

Someone said earlier they have a BD player in one room and a DVD player in the other. That's legit, same thing at my house, but I would never spend the money to own a copy of the same thing on both medium.

I don't look at it as spending money to own both.  I look at it as buying a Blu-Ray and getting a free DVD.

No, you're paying for the DVD also because if it was only just a Blu-Ray, the price would be less.  It isn't a "buy one and get one free kind of deal.  Not only that but DVD's are SD, not HD.  Why would anyone want to watch a DVD on an HD TV when they have a BR player?  It makes absolutely no sense to sell DVD's with Blu-Rays.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: October 23, 2020, 07:57:59 AM »

No, you're paying for the DVD also because if it was only just a Blu-Ray, the price would be less.  It isn't a "buy one and get one free kind of deal.  Not only that but DVD's are SD, not HD.  Why would anyone want to watch a DVD on an HD TV when they have a BR player?  It makes absolutely no sense to sell DVD's with Blu-Rays.

In this case, maybe, but if you go to buy a blu-ray movie at amazon, wal-mart, or wherever, the ones that are blu-ray only don't seem to be priced much differently than the ones with a dvd included.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #319 on: October 23, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »
Live Q&A with JP and JR today

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #320 on: October 23, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
There you go...

The Blu-ray situation is all the Labels decision, not the bands. JP had to be careful not to say the wrong thing, even though what he says may end up being wrong anyways... :lol

He mentioned the label may want to release a stand alone Blu-Ray later on
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #321 on: October 23, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »
It seems like Fatal Tragedy from the live show is going to be released on November 6 :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #322 on: October 23, 2020, 02:13:29 PM »
It seems like Fatal Tragedy from the live show is going to be released on November 6 :metal

Great part of the song to play. I like the way JLB sounds on this part, even if it happens to be a touch up. But, he did do this good both times I saw him live. He did really well with the scenes set. Like he saved all his energy, strength for the Scenes material. Didn't help having to start with a demanding vocal song, Untethered Angel.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #323 on: October 23, 2020, 02:22:04 PM »
Here's the link to the just completed Q&A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9kJdJ5L9c
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #324 on: October 23, 2020, 02:25:52 PM »
and your question was answered as well. (Which I found to be an interesting one, but I also guessed John and Jordan's answer to some degree.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #325 on: October 23, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
Yeah, I was happy that Kim was kind enough to include that question. I still have an outside hope that with the current situation, they won't time themselves and say "well we have enough for an album, let's stop here" - not that I expect 3 CD's worth of material (altho that would be cool, because imagine what kind of ground they could cover going in all sorts of directions) - but at least more than just what ends up on the final CD. Time will tell.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #326 on: October 23, 2020, 02:43:10 PM »
Yeah, I was happy that Kim was kind enough to include that question. I still have an outside hope that with the current situation, they won't time themselves and say "well we have enough for an album, let's stop here" - not that I expect 3 CD's worth of material (altho that would be cool, because imagine what kind of ground they could cover going in all sorts of directions) - but at least more than just what ends up on the final CD. Time will tell.
I'd welcome a triple :D (for these exact reasons and others) Fully blown bonkers prog :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #327 on: October 23, 2020, 06:06:20 PM »

The way they made it seem they work is...They come up with ideas, or have a direction they want to go with the new album. Then they write the music that can go with that Album Direction, and spend way to much time discussing how these 4 notes should go.  :lol

Once they get those ideas, they compose the songs and work it out, in the studio, until it's time to record said song. They don't Demo anymore, and likely don't even record until the composing of the song is complete and they write what is necessary for the Album Direction.

I don't think they want to record anymore than what they already have.

They did that with Distance Over Time though. That is what Viper King is. A riff they liked during the Sessions. They liked it so much, they made a song and recorded it. Even though, it didn't fit the album.

I believe that is what you want. For them to compose an album that doesn't have a direction. And for them to compose and record as much as they can, from those studio sessions.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: October 23, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »

@ Noxon, you couldn't of thought of a quick question for Mike? "Eh I don't know, there's probably people that want to ask you stuff." That seemed a bit rude. Maybe I misread it....

Great to know they're together and writing. This makes me happy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #329 on: October 23, 2020, 10:55:18 PM »
@ Noxon, you couldn't of thought of a quick question for Mike? "Eh I don't know, there's probably people that want to ask you stuff." That seemed a bit rude. Maybe I misread it....
Honestly, it didn't come off that way to me. But I can see why you might think that. But keep in mind what Kim was doing: while trying to pay some semblance of attention to what the guys were saying, he was also watching the constant stream of comments for potential questions to ask the guys from 2 or 3 different locations (I believe 2 on Facebook, 1 on YouTube). So if he seemed a bit distracted from coming up with something to ask MM, it seems fair to cut Kim a bit of slack considering all the juggling he was already doing.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2020, 12:05:20 AM »
Yeah, as Scotty said, doing these interviews requires a huge amount of mental gymnastics to keep a conversation going and finding the next question from thousands of comments from the viewers. To Switch from that into a mode where i need ro react to something unexpected like Mike joining...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: October 24, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »
 ;D

DT try every single permutation of a riff and they still manage an album every 2.5 years...

Tool notoriously try every permutation of a riff and it takes them 13 years

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #332 on: October 24, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »
Yeah, as Scotty said, doing these interviews requires a huge amount of mental gymnastics to keep a conversation going and finding the next question from thousands of comments from the viewers. To Switch from that into a mode where i need ro react to something unexpected like Mike joining...

As an elementary school teacher who had to become an online teacher during the pandemic, I gotcha ya  ;D

But a Q&A interview with MM would be nice!! He seems to be living his best time with the band!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #333 on: October 24, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »

Noxon I didn’t mean to sound like a dick. 

It’s just how it came across.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #334 on: October 24, 2020, 11:29:28 AM »
When they were talking about Interacting with the Crowd and Fall Into The Lights middle section. I was one of those people singing along to the melody, in Denver. That is a great section live, the slow build-up of that melody into the distorted guitar melody and solo was a cool build-up.

Also, I can't be the only one who noticed that they seemed to be a little upset, or more disappointed about the seated audience. But they gave good reasons, as to the differences between a seated and a non seated venue, from the Musician perspective, and one I agree with and noticed.

Seated Venues, tend to be a more nicer, formal, venue, while Non-seated venues tend not to be as formal. Venues are a high priority in where a band films their dvds. Or else, you get Decades from Nightwish, a venue with not so good lighting, and in turn resulted in a darker video contrast, it didn't help Nightwish used a darker colored light show as well. This ended up being a trade off, for the energy and crowd of Buenos Aires. In Distant Memories, we are getting the trade off of a good video (from what we've seen so far), but a lackluster audience, meaning the audience was mainly seated. Let's also not forget, Geographical location plays a part, that's the difference of a Japanese Audience (Budokan) and the Brazilian Audience (Live At Luna Park). I think the production problems that happened with Live At Luna Park prevented us from really hearing the audience at all, we got an audience cheer loop instead.

I am hoping for more Crying Girl moments though.  :biggrin:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #335 on: October 24, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »
I don't.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #336 on: October 24, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »
Seated Venues, tend to be a more nicer, formal, venue, while Non-seated venues tend not to be as formal. Venues are a high priority in where a band films their dvds. Or else, you get Decades from Nightwish, a venue with not so good lighting, and in turn resulted in a darker video contrast, it didn't help Nightwish used a darker colored light show as well.
Honestly, I beg to differ regarding the venue vs. audience. For the most part, I don't think that you're going to notice the venue all that much during a concert video, unless it's super iconic and/or unique like the place that Sons of Apollo did their live video (the name and place escapes me at the moment). While I don't imagine that the audience will feature that much into any concert video, I would imagine that they do appear and are more significant than the venue. Not only that, but the band feeds off the audience, not the venue they're playing in, which can affect their performance.

Regarding the lighting, I really don't think that has anything to do with the venue, but rather with the lighting rig the band is touring with at the time. The band brings their own lighting rig in, not whatever the venue may have. And even then with the way video technology is today, significant improvements can be made in the lighting of a concert video. I know BobS, who did the post-production on Score, told me that he used techniques to lighten up the audience so that they were more visible. And he's also commented that the video for Live in Tokyo could be brightened up so that it isn't so dark, if the band ever decides to revisit and re-release that video in HD.

Let's also not forget, Geographical location plays a part, that's the difference of a Japanese Audience (Budokan) and the Argentinean Audience (Live At Luna Park).
FTFY  ;)

I don't.
You emotionless braniac!   :biggrin:

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #337 on: October 27, 2020, 04:44:04 AM »

Of the teasers so far it seems extremely overdubbed sadly, 
Zero response from the audience and is seems like the sound is mixed as the last album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #338 on: October 27, 2020, 06:57:17 PM »
Zero response from the audience

That is something the band has no control over.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: October 27, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »

Of course they have some control over it by interacting with the crowd and encouraging people to stand up.  I totally blame DT for their poor crowd reactions that have consistently gotten worse since MP left.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #340 on: October 27, 2020, 07:25:56 PM »

Of course they have some control over it by interacting with the crowd and encouraging people to stand up.  I totally blame DT for their poor crowd reactions that have consistently gotten worse since MP left.

Did you watch that Interview? (Can't remember the interviewers name) even said, we're getting old and standing for that long is getting harder. The audience can stand anytime, without having the band tell them to, they don't need a band telling them what to do. It's why I laughed my ass off how Devin Townsend got everyone to Bloop, he knows the audience will do what he says and he proved it.

See, I Would stand, but then the people behind me get upset, because I Am Standing. That is something the band doesn't have control over. So I sit, as to not make his experience bad. But, I would stand, and sing, and headbang, like a dumbass, because the band likes it. And will do it, until I can't no more, and become the old fart sitting throughout the whole show.

Would people stand up, if asked? Why does JLB or others have to get people to stand? It's what I wonder when bands have people clap. Some places they go to, take it upon themselves to clap, and even sing. The people of South America, got known for that by taking it upon themselves to sing YYZ.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:37:30 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2020, 07:32:17 PM »

Did you watch that Interview? (Can't remember the interviewers name) even said, we're getting old and standing for that long is getting harder. The audience can stand anytime, without having the band tell them to, they don't need a band telling them what to do. It's why I laughed my ass off how Devin Townsend got everyone to Bloop, he knows the audience will do what he says and he proved it.

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked or told to sit during a DT show either from an usher or from someone in the crowd.  If the band says to stand, that shuts the naysayers up.  And I have no idea what interview you are referencing.  I've got no issue with people in the back sitting, but the floor should be standing IMO.  This is why I just get last row tickets for DT now.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2020, 07:35:39 PM »

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked or told to sit during a DT show either from an usher or from someone in the crowd.  If the band says to stand, that shuts the naysayers up.  And I have no idea what interview you are referencing.  I've got no issue with people in the back sitting, but the floor should be standing IMO.  This is why I just get last row tickets for DT now.

see, my edit. haha tried to post it before you responded.

The recent Distant Memories interview.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2020, 07:52:40 PM »

Yup. It's gone from attending a concert...to attending a performance.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »

Agreed, which is the band's decision.  I don't think DT ever really had the liviliest crowds from my experience (first time seeing them was in 2007) but it definitely wasn't as dull as they are now.  I feel a lot of it came down during the TA tour where the ushers went wild forcing everyone to sit.  But I had the same experience on the last tour in NJ, sold out venue, and ushers running wild.  It made no sense to me, that was perfect for an livicrowd if only the band wanted it. 

The recent Distant Memories interview.

THe Q&A?  I haven't watched that and it's pretty long so I may not.  But if you knew a timestamp for the specific part I would tune in.  I am curious of the bands thoughts so I'd listen to what they have to say regarding this, but if they are basing it on their older fan base, I think that's also a disservice to their own crowd.  DT does very little to bring in new fans IMO and catering to the older fans is one reason for that. (not saying they shouldn't cater to the ones who give them the most money, but there is definitely wiggle room to cater to both)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #345 on: October 27, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »

I Agree with this...

In a way it's like a classical performance, one you'd expect from an Orchestra. I don't have a problem at all with it. But, If I want to Rock out, headbang, and sing, let me do it. Don't tell me to sit down. In the end, it still is a Rock Concert.

Agreed, which is the band's decision.  I don't think DT ever really had the liviliest crowds from my experience (first time seeing them was in 2007) but it definitely wasn't as dull as they are now.  I feel a lot of it came down during the TA tour where the ushers went wild forcing everyone to sit.  But I had the same experience on the last tour in NJ, sold out venue, and ushers running wild.  It made no sense to me, that was perfect for an livicrowd if only the band wanted it. 

The Usher issue is something I would ask the venue about, and one I am really interested in knowing if it's the Venue, being a nice seated Venue, is strict about it (and that would depend on how the Venues perspective sees the bands audience), or it's someone in the bands management.

THe Q&A?  I haven't watched that and it's pretty long so I may not.  But if you knew a timestamp for the specific part I would tune in.  I am curious of the bands thoughts so I'd listen to what they have to say regarding this, but if they are basing it on their older fan base, I think that's also a disservice to their own crowd.  DT does very little to bring in new fans IMO and catering to the older fans is one reason for that. (not saying they shouldn't cater to the ones who give them the most money, but there is definitely wiggle room to cater to both)

58:40

Manginis appearance is right before this question, too if you want to rewind back and watch it... :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: October 27, 2020, 08:59:07 PM »

Very well said. It is a big reason why I haven't had any desire to see them since the TA tour (which I am very glad to have attended). There are a few bands I'd probably go see if they fell on the "performance" side of the pendulum, DT just isn't one of them these days.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #347 on: October 27, 2020, 10:00:25 PM »

Very well said. It is a big reason why I haven't had any desire to see them since the TA tour (which I am very glad to have attended). There are a few bands I'd probably go see if they fell on the "performance" side of the pendulum, DT just isn't one of them these days.

They have upped the Production and Staging of their shows too. Since Systematic Chaos with the Stoplight and Ants. I don't know what BC&SL had. Dramatic Tour had the big cube screens. Along For The Ride had the New York City back alley set. We know The Astonishing. D/T/SFAM has the Video Production with the story of Scenes, and the Walkway, first time JP also went completely wireless with a little help from Maddie.

I am reading more about the Music Business and Industry, and am finding myself understanding where bands come from with certain decisions. Every band is different, and has their own reasons for their choices and decisions. Things casual music fans do not know about, and I feel should know about that way they won't be acting the way they are about the bands decisions. And why I wish some bands would say straight up, but I also understand why they can't.

This is what you call the train of the band, and we the fans, are along for the ride... :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the timestamp Ben, but I don't think their response does anything to change my thought that the dead crowds are due to the bands decisions.  and also that MM appearance was a bit awkward lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 27, 2020, 10:11:45 PM »
It's cool, I respect what the band does, and has been doing, since they've been my favorite band since 1992. Consider also that while the band might make changes based on certain decisions along their path, so too do we as fans. How I want to experience a concert now is different than it was 10 years ago. I used to be an office drone, outside of work people would always ask me why I was standing when everyone else was sitting. I told them I sit all day (plus 2 hours commute), my arse needs a break. Now I do manual labor, and spend every waking moment outside work on sitting, reclining, or laying down.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'