Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93334 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #280 on: October 08, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »
I saw them on this tour in Hamburg, DE. Must say, James sounds much better on this recording than he did on the night I saw. Glad they're not doing an overdub of his vocals, I swear I remember them doing so on previous live releases but maybe I'm wrong

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2020, 01:37:37 AM »
Will the BluRay be available separately?
not as of now (that anyone would know of)

I'm not a fan of this trend lately where bands don't package the CD and video separately anymore, even worse when they force you to buy the DVD and Blu-Ray...

Well shit, I guess I'm not getting this release then! This was supposed to be a $19.99 transaction in my book.
I didn't notice this was a trend, at least none of the big "brand" bands I listen to have done it. Metallica, for example, with S&M2 and every other live release before that, had the option of a stand-alone BluRay.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2020, 03:46:31 AM »

I'm not a fan of this trend lately where bands don't package the CD and video separately anymore, even worse when they force you to buy the DVD and Blu-Ray...

Well shit, I guess I'm not getting this release then! This was supposed to be a $19.99 transaction in my book.
I didn't notice this was a trend, at least none of the big "brand" bands I listen to have done it. Metallica, for example, with S&M2 and every other live release before that, had the option of a stand-alone BluRay.

Because it costs money to produce separate packaging for Blu-Rays. That's like 6 different packages the band has to pay for. So it's less cost to package them in one super bundle instead.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #283 on: October 10, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
Just placed a pre-order for the 2BR-3CD package! I was a bit sad that shipping was so expensive (I'm spoiled by the free shipping that Goliaths like Amazon offer), but then I looked at the cover art again, and immediately my frown was turned upside down. For whatever reason, I love how this thing looks.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »

having said that, I just preordered the Artbook for this along side the new Devin Townsend live album via Century Media shop, saved 10% too by signing up for texts (which I will turn off once they send me the first one).

I don't care much about that. What bothers me is "the added value of a book" which is the most expensive thing to produce (along with the vinyl) in these packages. There are VERY few bands where I buy into the artbook-earbook concept. Also, you really can't shelve them with your other CDs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »

Even worse is where they force you to buy vinyl if you want all of the extra-special goodies (as Rush has been doing with its 40th anniversary releases, but which does not appear to be applicable to this DT product).  In this case, all I'm potentially interested in is the video.

With Rush I'm quite happy with the CD set.  A lot of those goodies are replicas of what's already out there and while there are SOME that were created specifically for the 40th releases that I would be interested in I'm not spending even 20 percent of what they are asking just for photo book.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2020, 06:48:02 AM »

having said that, I just preordered the Artbook for this along side the new Devin Townsend live album via Century Media shop, saved 10% too by signing up for texts (which I will turn off once they send me the first one).

Discs are cheap to press in large quantities and bundling them in one package is probably cheaper than making separate packaging at this point. Unfortunately the market is just not big enough anymore to really split mediums.

I like the way Kamelot did it recently. The whole package with CD's, DVD and Blu Ray was 25 euros here. A seperate new blu ray, CD or dvd release costs around 20 euros here usually. So it was not a big difference. The earbook with the same content was 40 euros I believe.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
I still don't get the utility of having a DVD and a BluRay in the same package.

It's like buying digital music, and have the bundle for a FLAC audio, a 320 bit MP3 and a 128 bit mp3. Which is even a bad example because an mp3 takes less space than a FLAC file, and you might, dunno, keep the FLAC for your computer or stereo while you put the mp3 on the mobile device, while if you have a Blu-Ray player you don't need to watch the same thing with lesser quality, and if you have just a DVD player a Blu-Ray is as good as a coaster.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »
More profit for them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: October 14, 2020, 08:31:37 AM »
More profit for them.

Yup.  We can say that packaging is easier and all that, but at the end of the day, the one package bundle with everything means you are forced to spend more money for what you want and the band gets more revenue. 

Blind Guardian's new re-release comes with a live blu-ray, but only if you buy the full package.  Well, there goes my money when I would have rather just bought the blu-ray alone (not an option).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »

I like the combo because I have a Blu-ray player at home, but sometimes I take my discs with me when I travel and am more likely to have access to a dvd player elsewhere.  That's becoming less useful in recent years, though.

Also, I used to only have Blu-ray in the living room, and a dvd player with our second tv.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #291 on: October 14, 2020, 09:14:21 AM »

I like the combo because I have a Blu-ray player at home, but sometimes I take my discs with me when I travel and am more likely to have access to a dvd player elsewhere.  That's becoming less useful in recent years, though.

Also, I used to only have Blu-ray in the living room, and a dvd player with our second tv.

Ok, this situation makes sense.

But I suspect the other ones are right in saying that the REAL reason is money  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: October 15, 2020, 09:35:24 AM »

Ok, this situation makes sense.

But I suspect the other ones are right in saying that the REAL reason is money  ;D

Of course there is a financial basis.  I also think when Blu-Ray first came out that they bundled the BR with DVD to "help" people transition.  I think I actually bought a few BR/DVD combos before I owned a BR player, just based on the expectation that one day in the future I would get one, and, in the meantime, I could watch the DVD.  It may just be inertia keeping the combo packs going at this point.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #293 on: October 15, 2020, 10:40:54 AM »
I would imagine that they do one bundle with both DVD and Blu-ray mostly so that they can sell it to both DVD owners and Blu-ray owners, and don't have to make two separate packages for those individual groups.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #294 on: October 15, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »

Of course there is a financial basis.  I also think when Blu-Ray first came out that they bundled the BR with DVD to "help" people transition.  I think I actually bought a few BR/DVD combos before I owned a BR player, just based on the expectation that one day in the future I would get one, and, in the meantime, I could watch the DVD.  It may just be inertia keeping the combo packs going at this point.

This is exactly what got me into Blurays some 8 years ago. There were a ton of extras on the Bluray combo I bought, I think it was The Dark Knight Returns, and went ahead and bout a bluray player and the rest is history. Now I'm transitioning to 4k blurays lol.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #295 on: October 16, 2020, 07:18:24 PM »
I would imagine that they do one bundle with both DVD and Blu-ray mostly so that they can sell it to both DVD owners and Blu-ray owners, and don't have to make two separate packages for those individual groups.

I fully expect only having to produce a single SKU that serves all customers is the main reason. As I said, discs, CD's and DVD's in particular, are really cheap to press so on the overall package it shouldn't necessarily increase the price that much. Tying it to expensive editions like earbooks is a different matter.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:32 AM »
Would love some new ears. It’s not the quality though, he doesn’t sound OK here not annunciating at all. To be clear he was on point at the show I attended. I remember some lalala’s in the denser parts of songs like Strange Deja Vu, but that’s it. I’m suggesting he’s unusually off here, it’s still awful.
I don't hear anything "unusually off" either.  I'm with PG:  He sounds really good to me.

Wth I was reacting to audio but just watched the video. He doesn’t seem OK and looks/sounds no where near as good as on first leg of NA tour. Glad he sounds good to you and others, but that’s not an OK person. Bloated and slurring? Hopefully the forced rest this year has done him well. (And on background I don’t think he should be replaced or anything, and am fine with whatever studio tricks as he ages, JLB is as much of DT as anyone in the band. But damn get that checked out soon)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2020, 05:20:40 AM »
JLB has, for me, the biggest difference between his studio performances and his live performances. For many years now, to me it's sounded like he's struggled live, but in the studio something magical happens. He becomes one of the best singers I've heard and it sounds effortless.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2020, 07:52:12 AM »
I've posted this before but DT has an incredibly aggressive tour schedule, especially when they go overseas. I think that works to JLBs disadvantage and his voice doesn't have enough time to recover from the previous performance. I know Rush used to space out their gigs to give Geddy a day off or two before the next gig. DT is going to have to go this route the older they get.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2020, 08:06:20 AM »
I've posted this before but DT has an incredibly aggressive tour schedule, especially when they go overseas. I think that works to JLBs disadvantage and his voice doesn't have enough time to recover from the previous performance. I know Rush used to space out their gigs to give Geddy a day off or two before the next gig. DT is going to have to go this route the older they get.

Yea, evening with format and not many breaks on the road makes it really difficult for him especially when the tour is almost over

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #300 on: October 20, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »
JLB has, for me, the biggest difference between his studio performances and his live performances. For many years now, to me it's sounded like he's struggled live, but in the studio something magical happens. He becomes one of the best singers I've heard and it sounds effortless.

It has to be said that in the studio you have many takes as you want, and you can sing a couple of lines and then rest, rather than staying on stage for 2 hours (or on stage for 1 hour and the other hour backstage while the other guys do their thing  ;D), and also technology can help. This is not to take away from James - there are countless videos and comments from people working with him that can testify that he's the real deal. But "in the studio it sounds effortless" it's something that in this day and age can be said about anyone.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #301 on: October 20, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »
Would love some new ears. It’s not the quality though, he doesn’t sound OK here not annunciating at all. To be clear he was on point at the show I attended. I remember some lalala’s in the denser parts of songs like Strange Deja Vu, but that’s it. I’m suggesting he’s unusually off here, it’s still awful.
I don't hear anything "unusually off" either.  I'm with PG:  He sounds really good to me.

Wth I was reacting to audio but just watched the video. He doesn’t seem OK and looks/sounds no where near as good as on first leg of NA tour. Glad he sounds good to you and others, but that’s not an OK person. Bloated and slurring? Hopefully the forced rest this year has done him well. (And on background I don’t think he should be replaced or anything, and am fine with whatever studio tricks as he ages, JLB is as much of DT as anyone in the band. But damn get that checked out soon)

Honestly don't get what you mean? Sounds good to me. Any examples from the video?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #302 on: October 20, 2020, 05:52:10 PM »

Yea, evening with format and not many breaks on the road makes it really difficult for him especially when the tour is almost over

DT has always asked a lot of James on tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2020, 01:27:46 AM »

Well to be honest, starting from bits of The Astonishing, and more on Distance Over Time, i felt for the first time that James was struggling in the studio as well. Too many effects and post-processing to hide imperfections on high notes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #304 on: October 21, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »

Honestly don't get what you mean? Sounds good to me. Any examples from the video?

Same. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kram

« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »

Well to be honest, starting from bits of The Astonishing, and more on Distance Over Time, i felt for the first time that James was struggling in the studio as well. Too many effects and post-processing to hide imperfections on high notes.

Agree with DOT, especially the effects on his voice - but disagree with The Astonishing.  I thought that was once of James's best performances.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #306 on: October 21, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »
All I need is the Blu-Ray.  Can't use CD's and why would anyone with a BR want a copy on DVD?  Those 2 mediums might as well be obsolete and yet they're forcing you to buy them all in one package.  Sorry, they're not getting my business unless I can eventually buy just the BR.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:37:33 AM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: October 21, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »
Someone said earlier they have a BD player in one room and a DVD player in the other. That's legit, same thing at my house, but I would never spend the money to own a copy of the same thing on both medium. For movies for our kids, we default to DVD, because they can watch in the main room, our bedroom, or on our portable DVD players they take on long trips.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pettor

« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2020, 12:12:46 AM »
For me I don't even have a DVD or Blu-ray player. It's all about streaming content today. I don't like physical mediums (except vinyl) personally and prefer having it digitally. Usually I just buy it to support the artist and then have to rip it myself, which will be hard without any player now. It would be awesome if there was a digital alternative.

But imagine the e-waste of just buying something to support the artist and then get DVD and Blu-ray  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2020, 12:33:17 AM »
Looks like here in Oz the simple CD/DVD pack will be $70!  The big one $160!  That's absurd.

Seems here you will be able to get separate Blu Ray and DVD packages with the cd's though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #310 on: October 22, 2020, 12:44:01 AM »
I had the pleasure of getting a promo copy of the album.
It's good guys. Some major touch-ups on James' voice, but that's expected.

Also the video for The Spirit Carries On has some of the most epic shots on a DT live video.
The audio mix is also very good i think.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #311 on: October 22, 2020, 12:54:35 AM »
TSCO from Score is as perfect as that song can be in my book. James sounds fantastic, the shots are gorgeous, the mood is right, band sounds great and the added intro fits nicely. Can this version compete with that?

Personally I am not sure I need yet another SFAM live but always nice with DT. Really looking forward to At Wit's End and hoping for maybe an extended guitar outro. It ends to quickly on the album!  ;D

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #312 on: October 22, 2020, 01:21:30 AM »
TSCO from Score is as perfect as that song can be in my book. James sounds fantastic, the shots are gorgeous, the mood is right, band sounds great and the added intro fits nicely. Can this version compete with that?

Personally I am not sure I need yet another SFAM live but always nice with DT. Really looking forward to At Wit's End and hoping for maybe an extended guitar outro. It ends to quickly on the album!  ;D

I don't think that anything can compete with Score to be honest.
And we're talking about a band 15 years later in their career. But overall i think it's a very good release. Also, first official live performance of ANTR which Mangini elevates to another level.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #313 on: October 22, 2020, 01:34:08 AM »

And we're talking about a band 15 years later in their career. But overall i think it's a very good release. Also, first official live performance of ANTR which Mangini elevates to another level.

👍 I agree.

BTW how is the blast beat part on ANTR with Mangini? Also one disappointment for me on the otherwise great 4th Wall was the drum part at the end of Finally Free. Portnoy just goes crazy and it felt like Mangini went for a more technical but not as satisfying approach that time. How is it on the new live release?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #314 on: October 22, 2020, 01:47:12 AM »

👍 I agree.

BTW how is the blast beat part on ANTR with Mangini? Also one disappointment for me on the otherwise great 4th Wall was the drum part at the end of Finally Free. Portnoy just goes crazy and it felt like Mangini went for a more technical but not as satisfying approach that time. How is it on the new live release?

The blast is awesome.
For Finally Free, really depends on what you're expecting. It's better than BTFW for sure, with some crazy poly-rhythmic stuff.

What i really enjoyed is how present JM and JR are in the mix overall (and of course MM even though i'm not a great fan of his snare sound).