Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93306 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
I bought this because I want to support the band.  I went for the 5LP/3CD/2DVD and Partridge In a Pear Tree combo, or something.

If I bought that, I'd need someone to support me!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: All members of DT teasing news
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »
Listening / watching PBD now. Thoughts along the way:

- I hope James is OK, he looks rather tired here and his face all swollen!
- Great playing as always
- James sounds good. No idea how much is fixed post recording, but I don't care that much. It's still him singing.
- The guys really need to work on their stage presence. They're turning into a parody of themselves, four guys locked in the "zone" playing their stuff. No interaction with the crowd whatsoever, they could just as well be playing in a basement all by themselves.

Not sure if I'll pick this up, but then again Christmas is approaching and I need something for my wish list. :)

Yes, when I saw James, I did a double take as he looks so different with his face so swollen.  Does anyone know if he has any health issues because steroids can cause something like that.  I hope he's OK.
My first thought was that he had gotten sick or that he was on the cusp of getting sick and so he took some shots to mitigate that. Singers do that sometimes when they get a cold and such. Whatever it was, he looks the same as he always did in the recent video.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2020, 03:32:41 AM »

- James sounds good. No idea how much is fixed post recording, but I don't care that much. It's still him singing.
- The guys really need to work on their stage presence. They're turning into a parody of themselves, four guys locked in the "zone" playing their stuff. No interaction with the crowd whatsoever, they could just as well be playing in a basement all by themselves.

Not sure if I'll pick this up, but then again Christmas is approaching and I need something for my wish list. :)

Yes, when I saw James, I did a double take as he looks so different with his face so swollen.  Does anyone know if he has any health issues because steroids can cause something like that.  I hope he's OK.
My first thought was that he had gotten sick or that he was on the cusp of getting sick and so he took some shots to mitigate that. Singers do that sometimes when they get a cold and such. Whatever it was, he looks the same as he always did in the recent video.

I believe this is due to Botox or face fillers (not sure though); it is well known that the face swells after a an injectable filler treatment.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2020, 04:16:39 AM »
I believe this is due to Botox or face fillers (not sure though); it is well known that the face swells after a an injectable filler treatment.
Doesn't check out visually to me (and I know a thing or two about both), plus people who get Botox and/or fillers usually know not to get it right before an important event because of the possible effects. Not saying he never got any, men of all professions can and do get Botox and fillers, but to go for a treatment in the middle of a tour outside of your home country would be pretty dumb.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2020, 04:25:09 AM »
To me, he looks like he just put on a bit of extra weight. That's all. He looked exactly like that when I saw the band in Budapest.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2020, 05:00:34 AM »
Maybe food poisoning due to a contaminated shrimp?

Oh god, it's 1994 all over again.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline emtee

« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2020, 09:28:34 AM »
I've watched the PBD video a couple times. As usual, great performance...BUT, where's the energy? At times they look so uber focused on getting their parts right that they almost forget, at the core, it's a rock show.  That was the area MP shone the brightest. Showmanship and coolness factor.

Oh well, guess it happens to all of us as we age.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
I've watched the PBD video a couple times. As usual, great performance...BUT, where's the energy? At times they look so uber focused on getting their parts right that they almost forget, at the core, it's a rock show.  That was the area MP shone the brightest. Showmanship and coolness factor.

Mangini is as energetic as one can be. The only difference is that he's not as often in the edit as Portnoy usually was during his time.

The rest of the guys seem to me as they've been for the past 15 years or so.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mladen

« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
I think the video is representative of the stage Presence the band has had in the last five or so years. The guys are getting older and cannot be expected to put on rock poses continually, and the fact that they were never too energetic to begin with doesn't help neither. This is Dream Theater today, for better or worse.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
I would worry if they couldn't play the stuff anymore, not about their "stage presence".
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »

Mangini is as energetic as one can be. The only difference is that he's not as often in the edit as Portnoy usually was during his time.

I'd say closer to 25 than 15.

Rudess is tied to down in the same way as Mangini, except when he uses his keytar, which he does with roughly the same frequency as he has since he started it.

Myung has been a statue at least since the SFAM tour.  I have to admit though, I&W era Myung on the larger stages would be a lot of fun.

Petrucci never did a ton of moving/running around and hasn't really changed anything in as long as I can remember.  Maybe it was falling off the stage that glued his feet down.

Even the guy with the most freedom to run around -- Labrie -- has never been Dickinsonian.

And I'm one who never really cared about any of the stuff MP did, so that's no change for me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »

James was puffy last year also when I saw them twice, in January and again in October.  In this new video, MM looks heavier too.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »

Prednisone which is a steroid for pain or lethargy can make your face swell up. That happened severely to Alan White of Yes.
 I'm not saying this is what was going on with James though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:58:18 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #223 on: October 01, 2020, 02:51:17 AM »
By the way, I found like an alternative cover or some artwork that appears in the booklet (?) in the InsideOut shop:

Found it here https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Dream_Theater_-_Distant_Memories_-_Live_in_London_-Ltd-_Deluxe_3CD-2Blu-ray-2DVD_Artbook-/16709

I think this cover is much better than the actual cover. It's still a generic Hugh Syme image, but better than that weird collage they will use as the front cover. I wonder when they finally get a new cover designer who is not that lazy as Syme.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2020, 02:58:33 AM »
Lovely!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: October 01, 2020, 05:04:46 AM »
I love that!!! Yes, it is a typical Hugh Syme, but it's cute and funny.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2020, 05:14:41 AM »
Yeah, that's much better than the actual one.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:31:12 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2020, 05:43:25 AM »
By the way, I found like an alternative cover or some artwork that appears in the booklet (?) in the InsideOut shop:

Found it here https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Dream_Theater_-_Distant_Memories_-_Live_in_London_-Ltd-_Deluxe_3CD-2Blu-ray-2DVD_Artbook-/16709

I think this cover is much better than the actual cover. It's still a generic Hugh Syme image, but better than that weird collage they will use as the front cover. I wonder when they finally get a new cover designer who is not that lazy as Syme.

I like this cover more but not sure a phone box in the middle of the countryside screams London.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2020, 05:47:16 AM »
If there's a phone box in a forest and nobody is around...Does it scream London?🤔

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »
This one is a great cover!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2020, 08:30:13 AM »

I'd say closer to 25 than 15.

Rudess is tied to down in the same way as Mangini, except when he uses his keytar, which he does with roughly the same frequency as he has since he started it.

Myung has been a statue at least since the SFAM tour.  I have to admit though, I&W era Myung on the larger stages would be a lot of fun.

Petrucci never did a ton of moving/running around and hasn't really changed anything in as long as I can remember.  Maybe it was falling off the stage that glued his feet down.

Even the guy with the most freedom to run around -- Labrie -- has never been Dickinsonian.

And I'm one who never really cared about any of the stuff MP did, so that's no change for me.

Which is weird, because I think that’s why they added the steps/catwalk to the stage design and JP went wireless - so that they can have somewhere to go and walk around a bit

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2020, 08:35:23 AM »

That reminds me of Live in Luna parks cover with the Clown riding into the Engines...

It's good, but I prefer the other artwork.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2020, 08:52:16 AM »
Yeah, the actual cover is fantastic.  But this is a cool piece of additional artwork as well.  I believe it is likely some booklet art.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #233 on: October 01, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
Yeah, the actual cover is fantastic.  But this is a cool piece of additional artwork as well.  I believe it is likely some booklet art.

It plays into the album art concept.  :lol

After the NOMACS took over Earth and Transhumanistic droids were created, longing for the human connection, they live with the animals in Nature.   :biggrin: :corn :yarr :millahhhh
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #234 on: October 01, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »
It's the art for Frost's Milliontown remixed version 2020  :biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #235 on: October 01, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »

I like this cover more but not sure a phone box in the middle of the countryside screams London.

Yeah. They should have called it Live in England.

Offline 425

« Reply #236 on: October 01, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »
I liked but did not love Distance Over Time, and I already have LSFNY. So for me the decisive factor on getting this or not is about A Nightmare to Remember and In the Presence of Enemies Part I, both songs I love and would be thrilled to have good live versions of. Can anyone who saw this tour speak to how well those two songs came off? How did they handle the "day after day" section in Nightmare?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #237 on: October 01, 2020, 07:35:04 PM »
I liked but did not love Distance Over Time, and I already have LSFNY. So for me the decisive factor on getting this or not is about A Nightmare to Remember and In the Presence of Enemies Part I, both songs I love and would be thrilled to have good live versions of. Can anyone who saw this tour speak to how well those two songs came off? How did they handle the "day after day" section in Nightmare?

I never cared about Portnoy doing the growling like it seems a lot of people did. That said, I dug how James did it which kinda shifted between spoken and raspy to slightly singing. Pretty cool.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »

I saw them twice in the U.S., and both songs sounded GREAT at both of the shows I saw.  To me, James doing the "day after day" section in Nightmare isn't as good as Mike's more gruff vocals, but it was fine.  And the tradeoff is Mangini crushing the blast beat section, which I feel Portnoy, as good a drummer is he is, wasn't able to get quite right.

Zero complaints about ITPOE.  Flawless. 

Also, there is a certain atmosphere to the first set, and both songs fit in really well with that atmosphere. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »

I saw them twice in the U.S., and both songs sounded GREAT at both of the shows I saw.  To me, James doing the "day after day" section in Nightmare isn't as good as Mike's more gruff vocals, but it was fine.  And the tradeoff is Mangini crushing the blast beat section, which I feel Portnoy, as good a drummer is he is, wasn't able to get quite right.

Also, there is a certain atmosphere to the first set, and both songs fit in really well with that atmosphere.

Those songs fit the vibe the D/T songs give out, and the production of the show, how loud it was...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2020, 09:31:49 AM »

I'm never one (and never will be) for death growls (or whichever term is appropriate), so I liked James' approach a lot. (Blastbeats included of course, that section finally sounded great. Never thought that will happen. Not because Mike couldn't do it. He can. But because I never thought that ANTR would ever be played live again after 2010.) What kind of atmosphere did you think it was?
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #241 on: October 02, 2020, 09:35:13 AM »
DT just posted on Facebook that the phone booth cover will be used for the deluxe edition. I wish they used that one for all formats.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #242 on: October 02, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »
Has anyone seen anything about the video being available digitally? Like, Live at Luna Park? That’s the only way I watch movies/concerts/tv. I got rid of my blu-ray player a long time ago.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #243 on: October 02, 2020, 09:40:27 AM »
DT just posted on Facebook that the phone booth cover will be used for the deluxe edition. I wish they used that one for all formats.
yes. (and I like both covers. IMHO the deluxe cover has a bit more of a Rushian aspect to it. Reminiscent of Signals in some way)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #244 on: October 02, 2020, 09:44:05 AM »
yes. (and I like both covers. IMHO the deluxe cover has a bit more of a Rushian aspect to it. Reminiscent of Signals in some way)

Agreed, it's the puppy and the inclusion of a red object in green surroundings. I like Signals better though. The new Syme covers all look like random collection of objects to me.