Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93182 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: All members of DT teasing news
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2020, 07:26:26 PM »
How do you even recognize fake crowd noise? it's something copied and pasted like the Wilheim's scream or you can somehow tell the difference between a genuine one and a pre-recorded one?
I think it's pure speculation.
Not at all. See below.

Don’t notice it so much on BTFW but it’s obvious on the Luna Park show as they have looped the crowd audio and there’s a scream or whistle (I can’t remember which) that keeps repeating.
All of this. It really is obvious and just lazy editing.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2020, 07:30:55 PM »
2020 has already gotten many people used to fake crowd noise from watching sports  :lol

For me, it's not easy to tell and I don't think I ever noticed on LALP but I trust those who picked it up.  I definitely would rather not have ANYTHING fake in a live performance and video, but it's not the worst thing.  The work on JLB's vocals bother me more, although I think lowering him in the mix kind of helps not really make that too much of a problem.  JP/MM/JR is the reason to get this live album, JLB and fake crowd noises don't ruin this for me.  The dead crowd is the worst part IMO, and that's because it's real.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2020, 07:36:56 PM »
Just my opinion, John Myung is the only one with good stage presence up on the front lines.

Boy, it's a bad sign when John Myung has the best stage presence in your band.

Actually, that could be said about the bass player in most every rock band.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »
2020 has already gotten many people used to fake crowd noise from watching sports :lol

For me, it's not easy to tell and I don't think I ever noticed on LALP but I trust those who picked it up.  I definitely would rather not have ANYTHING fake in a live performance and video, but it's not the worst thing.  The work on JLB's vocals bother me more, although I think lowering him in the mix kind of helps not really make that too much of a problem.  JP/MM/JR is the reason to get this live album, JLB and fake crowd noises don't ruin this for me.  The dead crowd is the worst part IMO, and that's because it's real.

Truth. I'd just prefer to have sports with no fake crowd noise. I want to hear the way the players hear.

Honestly, I never listen to LALP. It doesn't even sound live. Neither does BTFW. I prefer the boot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »
I am really loving the drum mix on this, and also the main mix, but mainly the drums. The toms really sound great and blend real well with the Bass Drums. The cymbals are nice and crisp and clear. I can see why they chose Pale Blue Dot as it's first release, it showcases the drums (and mix) with the instrumental section. Those scenes songs, A Nightmare to Remember, and In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1 are gonna sound amazing just because of the drum mix.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2020, 12:51:59 AM »
Man, you folks really know how to ruin a good thing. Every time this band releases something, every one finds something to bitch about.

Well, welcome to DTF :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2020, 01:02:17 AM »
Man, you folks really know how to ruin a good thing. Every time this band releases something, every one finds something to bitch about.

Yeah, no shit.  I was gonna say that I’ve seen that set list twice live, but apparently fake crowd noise and people sitting during the concert is more offensive, so I’ll just keep quiet about the set list.  At the end of the day, it’s all good anyway.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2020, 03:34:31 AM »
OK so, I watched PBD again just now (and it's my favourite on D/T, so I was very happy for that one to be chosen as a taster for the live album) and I have to say it's very enjoyable and the overall presentation of it is very "well rounded" as it were. (I like that the mix is very balanced to me, the overall visual aspect is very cinematic. I could even hear JM rather well, which is always nice.) I'm somewhat excited for the album.  Even the house lights of Hammersmith Apollo went blue at the end, see if you'll notice it too :D I also like that FITL is in the main set and Paralyzed is the bonus track. (I don't hate Paralyzed, but I think FITL is more fitting coming off of ANTR and then going into Barstool afterwards, the Morricone section being a particularly nice relief for the ears there.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:59:49 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
I’m surprised that they put Paralyzed as a bonus track. I thought they would’ve just edited it into the main show.

Offline Astrogildson

« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
I am really loving the drum mix on this, and also the main mix, but mainly the drums. The toms really sound great and blend real well with the Bass Drums. The cymbals are nice and crisp and clear. I can see why they chose Pale Blue Dot as it's first release, it showcases the drums (and mix) with the instrumental section. Those scenes songs, A Nightmare to Remember, and In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1 are gonna sound amazing just because of the drum mix.

Really enjoying the overall mix too... way better than BTFW.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »

Really enjoying the overall mix too... way better than BTFW.

Breaking The Fourth Wall had this weird compression sound with it. I can't explain it either.

Distant Memories has a more clear open sound that actually breathes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2020, 11:11:09 AM »
I’m surprised that they put Paralyzed as a bonus track. I thought they would’ve just edited it into the main show.

I thought the same thing...

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
Well it sure sounds good, the playing is great and I'm not complaining about the crowd..much..But here's my question, if you're going to make a live dvd/blu-ray and especially after the lost opportunity of documenting TA..why not make it super special?

The band planned to film two shows in London, brilliant! Also wants to celebrate ASFAM..but you understandable have a short list of songs that's going to make it in the first act..Why not prepare two different lists for the first act? They could easily have done it. The fans would loved to be surprised, the band would be pumped not only by playing some new-old material but also the feedback that they would get live..

Choosing a fixed playlist for the tour, is their choice, I came to respect that, but by putting a little more effort just for this live would show that they cared a little more..Everyone would be happy and it would make for a much more worthwhile purchase!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:31:54 AM by IgnotusPerIgnotium »

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2020, 11:31:56 AM »
Well it sure sounds good, the playing is great and I'm not complaining about the crowd either..much..But here's my question, if you're going to make a live dvd/blu-ray and especially after the lost opportunity of documenting TA..why not make it super special?

The band planned to film two shows in London, brilliant! Also wants to celebrate ASFAM..but you understandable have a short list of songs that's going to make it in the first act..Why not prepare two different lists for the first act? They could easily have done it. The fans would loved to be surprised, the band would be pumped not only by playing some new-old material but also the feedback that they would get live..

Choosing a fixed playlist for the tour, is their choice, I came to respect that, but by putting a little more effort just for this live would show that they cared a little more..Everyone would be happy and it would make for a much more worthwhile purchase!

Totally get where you’re coming from, but they probably wanted to keep this simple and have it be a representation of the whole tour. And the whole tour had the same setlist for the most part.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
Also, I know they're superhuman musicians who can play everything, but rehearsing a different setlist (and therefore live show) and playing it first the night the camera are rolling seems counterproductive.... a fixed setlist helped them staying more focused and tight
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
As a rule, I would say that I like the live album of a tour to be pretty close to what I saw at my show so it’s like a momento of the tour even if it’s not the night that I was there.  That’s not to say you can’t do a one-off special for an anniversary or with an orchestra or something with a special set list but when it’s just something to document the tour, I’d prefer it to have the same set.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »
Kinda bummed the only way to buy it on CD is with a BR, which is too expensive.  Guess I'll have to burn the digital to CD.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline JLa

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
Listening / watching PBD now. Thoughts along the way:

- I hope James is OK, he looks rather tired here and his face all swollen!
- Great playing as always
- James sounds good. No idea how much is fixed post recording, but I don't care that much. It's still him singing.
- The guys really need to work on their stage presence. They're turning into a parody of themselves, four guys locked in the "zone" playing their stuff. No interaction with the crowd whatsoever, they could just as well be playing in a basement all by themselves.

Not sure if I'll pick this up, but then again Christmas is approaching and I need something for my wish list. :)

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
I guess all that Barbeque Chicken and Grilling in the Studio for to LaBrie...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2020, 06:06:12 PM »
Kinda bummed the only way to buy it on CD is with a BR, which is too expensive.  Guess I'll have to burn the digital to CD.

So wait?? I can't just buy the CD?

Amazon has the CD at $30.98.  :omg: Wut??

Mp3 at $26.97  WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2020, 07:06:20 PM »

Mp3 at $26.97  WTF??

A lot of  the combination these days are WTF, they have some weird combinations I guess it makes sense for them. Sometimes they'll have the CDs only with DVDs and the Bluray standalone or vice versa, many times  I never get the combination I really want. I usually only make the exception for DT and sometimes a couple other releases.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2020, 10:22:46 PM »

- James sounds good. No idea how much is fixed post recording, but I don't care that much. It's still him singing.
- The guys really need to work on their stage presence. They're turning into a parody of themselves, four guys locked in the "zone" playing their stuff. No interaction with the crowd whatsoever, they could just as well be playing in a basement all by themselves.

Not sure if I'll pick this up, but then again Christmas is approaching and I need something for my wish list. :)

The stage presence is surprising because when I saw them last March I thought they were having the most fun I’ve seen them have since Mangini joined. I remember James standing behind the drum riser head banging during the instrumental part of ANTR. He didn’t always go straight back to his hut during instrumentals, he actually interacted with the audience. Same goes for everyone in the band that night. That was my favorite DT show
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline dparrott

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2020, 12:25:39 AM »

Mp3 at $26.97  WTF??

Exactly.  It better be a FLAC for that price.

How does James sound in SFAM?  I'm scared to hear those high notes.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2020, 12:29:07 AM »
Dang, I missed out on the artbook.  Wonder if they might do a 2nd printing.  Not interested in the Gold LP and artbook set that doesn't have any video footage.  UPDATE:  I was able to purchase the artbook via a third party vendor - so all is good.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 12:47:10 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Trav86

« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2020, 07:12:30 AM »
Is there going to be just a DVD version? Or just digital option for the video?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2020, 07:22:39 AM »
2nd night 2nd row. You can see me trying to do my best to make some noise even sitting.
I'm italian, I went there just to see the show. I'm used to see a concert standing, jumping... but I couldn't do it unfortunately.
Probably it's in their culture to enjoy a concert in that way, I don't know, but of course there are unwritten rules: if the guy behind you is sitting, you can't spend all the concert standing. Imagine with an entire theatre(er) behind you...

BTW, great night... They uploaded just one song, I don't think it's enough to decide if they were on fire or not... I sang the entire TSCO chorus with JP singing with me and looking me in the eyes. That was the least etherosexual moment of my life! :blush :lol (no disrespect for the LGBT community, I'm just joking!!!)
PBD is probably the most tecnical song of the album, so maybe they were just focused on the song. MM puts so much energy to me!
JLB did his best as always. The only time James "ruined" a concert that I attended was in TA tour. He had the flu, in fact they had to cancel some concerts after.
He's doing his best and I really appreciate that. I dont' care about his weight and I have to say that with the tattoo he's pretty badass!!! :yarr

Can't wait to have have the DVD in my haandss. One of my dreams was to see one of their DVDs in person. I can even see myself, so I'm more than satisfied and excited!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
JLB did his best as always. The only time James "ruined" a concert that I attended was in TA tour. He had the flu, in fact they had to cancel some concerts after.

Probably the same one I've seen, third night in Milan, uh?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »
The only time I've sat down during a DT concert is for a ballad.  Otherwise I'm rockin out.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2020, 04:22:40 PM »

Probably the same one I've seen, third night in Milan, uh?
Last night in Milan. I think it was Saturday, cause I took the train for Trieste and I read that it was canceled when I was almost there... :censored

Offline Mladen

« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »
To think I was considering spending a ridiculous sum of money to travel from Serbia to Trieste for that concert. I dodged a bullet there.  ;D

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2020, 05:09:42 AM »
Video was awesome, really well captured and sounds great.

Only things I'm not huge on is the cover art (looks a bit cheap/fan made to me - maybe a few too many images they've tried to mash together?) and how short the behind the scenes supposedly is. Otherwise, very much looking forward.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »

Mp3 at $26.97  WTF??

Under "Editorial Reviews" for the CD it says "3CD + 2 Blu-ray DVD Digipak in Slipcase".  Same price as the CD+Blu-Ray version at Century Media.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:53:11 AM by ZirconBlue »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
I bought this because I want to support the band.  I went for the 5LP/3CD/2DVD and Partridge In a Pear Tree combo, or something.   

Offline PMA

« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2020, 01:29:42 PM »

Yes, when I saw James, I did a double take as he looks so different with his face so swollen.  Does anyone know if he has any health issues because steroids can cause something like that.  I hope he's OK.

Online faizoff

Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »
I'm looking at some of the meet and greet pictures in April 2019 and James looks ok there. Really wonder what happened after.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan