Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93202 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All members of DT teasing news
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
I absolutely hate how DT have created a live environment where it's expected you sit down and be quiet.  Dead crowd and I don't blame the fans, I blame the band.  The shots of people sitting really ruin the video.  I mean, it's still a day 1 purchase for me, and I expected this, but actually seeing it makes me mad and almost makes me not even want to see DT live anymore.
That crowd was PATHETIC!  Sorry, can't sugar coat it.  I've never sat at any of the dozen or so DT shows I've been to (including The Astonishing).  I also never remember any of those shows where the first 10 plus rows weren't majority standing.  Not to call you out Bro but why do you say DT created the sitting environment?  Where people told to stay seated during filming or something? 

Also... when the hell did JB get the sleeve on his right arm?  :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2020, 11:02:35 AM »
I absolutely hate how DT have created a live environment where it's expected you sit down and be quiet.  Dead crowd and I don't blame the fans, I blame the band.  The shots of people sitting really ruin the video.  I mean, it's still a day 1 purchase for me, and I expected this, but actually seeing it makes me mad and almost makes me not even want to see DT live anymore.

I don't see how the band has "created a live environment where it's expected you sit down and be quiet" during the last few tours.
Budokan was a seated venue, Radio City Music Hall in Score was a seated venue. And apart from the two Astonishing concerts I attended (which were their own thing I guess), I personally have never seen the band live while sitting during the last ten years.

I agree, however, that DT concerts should be standing concerts. It's very well thought through and complex music, yes. But it's also friggin metal that you should be able to rock out to.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »
That crowd was PATHETIC!  Sorry, can't sugar coat it.  I've never sat at any of the dozen or so DT shows I've been to (including The Astonishing).  I also never remember any of those shows where the first 10 plus rows weren't majority standing.  Not to call you out Bro but why do you say DT created the sitting environment?  Where people told to stay seated during filming or something? 

There was actually an extra thread for this  :lol
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54308.msg2585159#msg2585159

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2020, 11:19:03 AM »
Oh man, I was hoping the Behind the Scenes was long and it was the reason why the Bluray is split into 2. Kind of odd for the split - less compression which is great, but still.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Online faizoff

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »
Finally watched that video. Mix on youtube actually sounds and great, love the look and feel of the video as well. I really can't wait for this release now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2020, 11:24:06 AM »
I watched the PBD video.  It sounded good but felt kind of awkward.  Maybe it was the close-ups with Labrie and the gimmicky skull mic stand.  I know,  it's rock-n-roll and I should lighten up but DT needs to step up their game a bit when it comes to presenting themselves. Just my opinion, John Myung is the only one with good stage presence up on the front lines.
Their musicianship is beyond amazing so I will definitely buy this release since they haven't been to my area since TA tour.   :coolio
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 11:29:07 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
Wish they would actually release it on 4K bluray - obviously it was filmed in 4k. I know not too many people have UHD bluray players (unless they have an Xbox One X or are getting the new Xbox/PS5), so I'd even take it in 4k on itunes.

I hate this era of Youtube videos being in higher quality than the physical media (obviously there is compression on Youtube, but still).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2020, 12:15:27 PM »
I don't remember watching the D/T & SFAM show sitting down, I remember almost everyone standing the whole time.

I was at the Wiltern in LA in the 1st of two nights in their run there, last year.  Solid show for a performance stance.  Sure, it was on the louder end of the shows I've seen in 2019, but that's not a deal-breaker.  Everyone was standing, also not a deal breaker.  The deal-breaker for me was when there was someone a couple of rows in front of me that was standing on the bloody chair and blocked my view.  I complained about this in the tour thread many times after the show.  In the five shows, I've seen in the span of March 2019 - February 2020 at The Wiltern (Within Temptation, DT, Switchfoot, Sevendust/Skillet, and Alter Bridge), I would have to rate the DT one as the least enjoyable of the bunch and mainly it was due to the seating arrangements for that show where all the other shows I saw was open GA in the floor section where you have to pay more to get into the pit GA. If you wanted seats, you would need to pay for the section in the second floor of the theater.  Seats in the floor section are no good for me in that venue. 

I do recall DT coming back in Riverside in a more suitable theater where it's built in seats in the floor and it's designed where you can be in the far back and it wouldn't hinder your view unless you have a tall guy in the row in front of you (which happened to me in the Switchfoot show at that same venue in November, but that wasn't a deal breaker).  I didn't go to that one mainly due to ticket prices and that there was no incentive for me to go again due to the constant setlist.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:46:26 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2020, 12:33:57 PM »
I don't remember watching the D/T & SFAM show sitting down, I remember almost everyone standing the whole time.

I was the Wiltern in LA in the 1st of two nights in their run there, last year. . . .

I was at one of the Wiltern shows (I think it might have been the second night since I think they played Thursday and Friday).  I was in the second row, center section, on the aisle on JM's side.  A large majority of those around me stood for the whole show, but I was actually surprised that some folks in the first five or so rows mostly sat.  Why would you buy tickets that close if you only want to sit?

I also saw them at the Wiltern on I&W&B, but I was up in the Mezzanine, and pretty much everyone sat for most of the show, which didn't surprise me at all.

As far as the new release, what is the "DVD artbook"?  Is it worth the extra $20?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2020, 12:39:47 PM »
I'm going to assume the artbook is a large print version of the CD insert plus extra things printed on there. Like an interview etc..
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
Excited for this release. I enjoyed the video.

What's up with LaBrie and his appearance? His face looks....different. Did he get some work done? Gain some weight? Also the hair man. Let it go gray. You're in your 50's.

Excellent musicianship all around. I expect some post performace tweaking so that's nothing new. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »
Yeah JLB looks really rough in that video. I've noticed they look much older now obviously but some of them more than others.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2020, 01:24:18 PM »
Saw the video, sounds nice, clear and full, at least fuller than the studio version, as it should be!

James more than acceptable, quite good performance.

Nice seeing a chick at 2:59 clearly into the song  :D but yeah, sitting people.... nope  :tdwn

What's the "tablet" to the left of Mangini? a place for him to read the notes just like Rudess does?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »
Saw the video, sounds nice, clear and full, at least fuller than the studio version, as it should be!

Nice seeing a chick at 2:59 clearly into the song  :D but yeah, sitting people.... nope  :tdwn

What's the "tablet" to the left of Mangini? a place for him to read the notes just like Rudess does?
can I have a timestamp?
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »

I was the Wiltern in LA in the 1st of two nights in their run there, last year. . . .

I was at one of the Wiltern shows (I think it might have been the second night since I think they played Thursday and Friday).  I was in the second row, center section, on the aisle on JM's side.  A large majority of those around me stood for the whole show, but I was actually surprised that some folks in the first five or so rows mostly sat.  Why would you buy tickets that close if you only want to sit?

I also saw them at the Wiltern on I&W&B, but I was up in the Mezzanine, and pretty much everyone sat for most of the show, which didn't surprise me at all.

As far as the new release, what is the "DVD artbook"?  Is it worth the extra $20?
The artbook has all the media (3 CDs, 2 Blurays, 2 DVDs) and (most likely) more photos and extended liner notes and maybe an essay. It's an LP-sized book. Live At Luna Park had that type of release as well (and D/T as well)

Offline drod1985

« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
I dug the PBD video. The production is the most cinematic a DT live release has been since Budokan. Everything since then has looked really cheap and sterile.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2020, 01:56:41 PM »
I dug the PBD video. The production is the most cinematic a DT live release has been since Budokan. Everything since then has looked really cheap and sterile.
I love the cinematic look too. A lot. I do think Luna Park has some aspects of that too though (the swoops at the very beginning as an example), maybe not as strong as PBD does.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Why would you buy tickets that close if you only want to sit?

To be closer and see the band better maybe?  We had front row seats at the DoT 2nd leg show in Mesa AZ and sat the whole time, except after the encore.  I'm a tall guy.  Even if someone behind me was standing, they couldn't see as good if I was standing.  What difference does it make anyway?  How does someone's enjoyment of a concert depend on whether they sit or stand?  I can't believe people actually bitch and whine about fake crowd noise and whether people sit or stand at live shows.  Ridiculous.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »

can I have a timestamp?

2:44 (https://youtu.be/jsRT8ee97eo?t=164). I looked and it's showing the setlist, basically.

I really really want to pre-order this, but I live in a country where the postal service was already bad enough and now with our borders closed due to the pandemic, I won't even try to order anything from outside the country. Would love to find a way to buy the video performances digitally.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline tony990

« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »

I second that. I went to see them in New Brunswick the second time they came around (last October), and everyone started sitting down after they came out. I tried getting people to stand up for Nightmare to Remember, but the guy behind me told me to sit down. Sit down?! Really?! What is this, an opera? Never seen a rock or metal show with everyone sitting before.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2020, 02:18:55 PM »

To be closer and see the band better maybe?  We had front row seats at the DoT 2nd leg show in Mesa AZ and sat the whole time, except after the encore.  I'm a tall guy.  Even if someone behind me was standing, they couldn't see as good if I was standing.  What difference does it make anyway?  How does someone's enjoyment of a concert depend on whether they sit or stand?  I can't believe people actually bitch and whine about fake crowd noise and whether people sit or stand at live shows.  Ridiculous.  :\
It's humans. They do these things. I'm usually happy to see DT (or most other artists I go see live) and that's it and I don't care about fake crowd noise, although I notice it sometimes. (it's just that I have to be in a seat, can't do standing room shows anymore.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 02:59:29 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2020, 02:44:42 PM »

It's not bitching or whining, it's just their opinions. If someone prefers standing over sitting during a concert, how is that ridiculous?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »

It's not bitching or whining, it's just their opinions. If someone prefers standing over sitting during a concert, how is that ridiculous?

Some folks have problems with others expressing opinions.  What'cha gonna do?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2020, 04:06:57 PM »
I can't believe people actually bitch and whine about fake crowd noise and whether people sit or stand at live shows.  Ridiculous.  :\
As others have already said, it's ridiculous that someone can't post an opinion that (heaven forbid) opposes your own.  ::)

I DO have a problem with the fake crowd noise, because if the band can't have something so simple and minor like crowd noise as being legitimate, how much other fakery is going on a supposed "live" release? Not saying that some minor fixes here and there aren't OK – I never had a problem with some *minor* post-production work, such as fixing JP's guitar drop out during UaGM on Score – but when a bunch of re-recording has to be done, it DOES take away from it being a truly legitimate live release. And I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
How do you even recognize fake crowd noise? it's something copied and pasted like the Wilheim's scream or you can somehow tell the difference between a genuine one and a pre-recorded one?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2020, 04:40:33 PM »
How do you even recognize fake crowd noise? it's something copied and pasted like the Wilheim's scream or you can somehow tell the difference between a genuine one and a pre-recorded one?

I think it's pure speculation. BTFW was kinda obvious because the crowd sounds like they're in a huge arena wheras the venue is a slightly more intimate theater. Luna Park is three times the size of the Boston or London venues so the crowd ambience in that film sounds more convincing, at least to my ears. Also, American DT fans are not as loud as South American/European fans. This is not criticism but pure truth. I've seen them like 5 times in Mexico and I've seen them twice in the US and the crowd reaction is worlds apart from place to place. It's not a bad thing per se, it's just what it is.

Disclaimer: I'm Mexican and very conscious Mexico is a part of North America and not South America, but our Latin American culture brings us closer to the rest of the continent than to the US, so that's where my comparison came from lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »
Maybe the crowd noise was real, and it was just mixed way higher in the mix?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
I kinda hate the cover, would have at least removed the British flag and made the robot's hand more gold. But it's not like that matters one bit, just that this will probably be the last time we're discussing it  :lol I can't even remember the cover of BFTW!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »

Don’t notice it so much on BTFW but it’s obvious on the Luna Park show as they have looped the crowd audio and there’s a scream or whistle (I can’t remember which) that keeps repeating.  The whole Luna Park video looks and sounds incredibly amateurish to me apart from DT’s actual performance which is great, just a shame it wasn’t lit or filmed very well.

As for PBD from London, not thrilled by it. Just seems a lack of energy both on stage and in the crowd. La Brie looks out of shape (even more than usual).  I’m going to get it anyway but, if I was on the fence, this wouldn’t sell it to me at all.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:18:16 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »
https://centurymedia.store/dept/dream-theater

Just ordered the 3CD/2BD/2DVD artbook, which is only limited to 200 copies, so get one while you can! If it wasn't limited, I probably might have waited, but I didn't want to risk missing out.

-Marc.

Thanks for the heads up, did the same.

Same. I actually wasnt going to get the art book but then saw your post about the 200 limit. I'm such a sucker.

Yeah, maybe it makes you feel better that I preordered the red vinyl box set from InsideOut for 60 bucks. Also limited to 200 copies. Damn, why can I never resist this stuff lol

Looks like Red Vinyl and Art Book are already sold out.

Also, got a chance to listen to PBD on my way back to work. I don't know if it was the fact that it was youtube through my phone over my car speakers or if it really will sound like this but Mangini sounds MONSTROUS. Almost too much. LaBrie was kind of low in the mix. Overall it sounded good and I'm happy.

Also, people sitting down at concerts  :tdwn

I saw DT on the second DoT leg, I managed to get front row seats, it was a work night, I've been having knee/hip problems, I was tired, and I'll be damned if I was going to sit down. Ok, well for the slower parts I did. Otherwise, I was up and rocking.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
I think the sound and mix are great. Just the tons sound a bit too deep, but I think it's kind of some effect used in this song. Let's see the other songs. The band's takes are also great!
It seems the crowd is low because they are watching the show quietly, really paying attention. I think that the applauses at end demonstrated that they were very into it. Personally, if any rock band make a live DVD, they should record it with the crowd standing. It brings much more energy, no doubt, specially from the people in front of the stage. It makes look much cooler.
Now, if there's something that really bugs me A LOT in this video, it's the couple at 5:36 mark looking to the cel phone in the middle of that wonderful instrumental part. :facepalm:
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »
Regarding the track list, https://centurymedia.store/product/Y4CDCE400/dream-theater-distant-memories-live-in-london-3cd2bluray-digipack?cp=102832_103046_104294 is still only showing the first 1/2 of Scenes on the 2nd BR disc

BLU-RAY 1:
Untethered Angel (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
A Nightmare to Remember (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Fall Into the Light (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Barstool Warrior (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
In the Presence of Enemies - Part 1 (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Pale Blue Dot (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)

BLU-RAY 2:
Scenes Live Intro (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Scene One: Regression (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Scene Two: I. Overture 1928 (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Scene Two: II. Strange Déjà Vu (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Scene Three: I. Through My Words (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Scene Three: II. Fatal Tragedy (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Scene Four: Beyond This Life (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Scene Five: Through Her Eyes (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
At Wit's End (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Paralyzed (Bonus Track) (Live at Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, 2020)
Behind The Scenes

And why does it need 2 BlueRay discs anyway?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2020, 05:52:50 PM »
I thought James had face work years ago..

That first line..."So far away from home".. WTF? That sounded awful. It sounds like that whole verse was autotuned to death. But that first line does not sound good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
Man, you folks really know how to ruin a good thing. Every time this band releases something, every one finds something to bitch about.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
https://centurymedia.store/dept/dream-theater

Just ordered the 3CD/2BD/2DVD artbook, which is only limited to 200 copies, so get one while you can! If it wasn't limited, I probably might have waited, but I didn't want to risk missing out.

-Marc.

Thanks for the heads up, did the same.

Same. I actually wasnt going to get the art book but then saw your post about the 200 limit. I'm such a sucker.

Yeah, maybe it makes you feel better that I preordered the red vinyl box set from InsideOut for 60 bucks. Also limited to 200 copies. Damn, why can I never resist this stuff lol

Looks like Red Vinyl and Art Book are already sold out.

So glad I ordered the artbook then! Although it took at least 6 ot 7 hours to sell out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!