Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 95773 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #910 on: December 27, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »
Mine came today....

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #911 on: December 27, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »
I've spotted some people saying this concert film is awfully shot. What the crap are they seeing? It all looks beautiful to me. Best cinematography DT's had in years (although the Budokan 2017 concert is a close contender. Japanese filming teams are amazing)
It is for the most part, the only thing that is kinda funny is the dramatic zooms while focusing on a member and some strange angles..other than that it's nicely done overall.

I really don't get the strange angles you speak of. It all looks so great to me, shot-wise. For some weird camera gimmicks, Live at Luna Park for sure.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #912 on: December 27, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »
UPDATE:

IT'S IN MY STATE!

Says it will be delivered Wed. but usually when it hits the main hub in my state it is delivered the next day. Of course, everything is fucked up with the postal service now so who knows.

Online faizoff

« Reply #913 on: December 28, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »
Just listened to the first song on CD and watched it on bluray with the stereo mix. The quality is amazing, I love the mix of this album. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #914 on: December 28, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »
I received my artbook.  Haven't had a chance to watch/listen to it yet, but the packaging is incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #915 on: December 28, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »
I received my artbook.  Haven't had a chance to watch/listen to it yet, but the packaging is incredible.

It absolutely is, made a post with some pics here
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: December 28, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »
I still have not received my artbook, those who did, did you get further communication about your shipment since the delayed announcement?

Online faizoff

« Reply #917 on: December 28, 2020, 09:06:15 AM »
After the 1st email regarding the delay, I sent an email to Century Media asking for an update, they gave a standard reply back on the expected date of shipping. It was supposed to ship around 12/11 but shipped around 12/21 instead. I got mine "Yesterday".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #918 on: December 28, 2020, 09:06:43 AM »
I still have not received my artbook, those who did, did you get further communication about your shipment since the delayed announcement?
After the email explaining that there would be a delay, I got another email about the likely date of shipment.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: December 28, 2020, 09:14:03 AM »
After the email explaining that there would be a delay, I got another email about the likely date of shipment.

Maybe I should contact them, haven't gotten any notification of shipment and that delay email said there should be one, but seeing folks here are getting them, now I'm concerned. Unless it arrives today...

Online faizoff

« Reply #920 on: December 28, 2020, 09:17:16 AM »

Maybe I should contact them, haven't gotten any notification of shipment and that delay email said there should be one, but seeing folks here are getting them, now I'm concerned. Unless it arrives today...

On your original order email confirmation, there is a link to check the status of the order, clicking that will tell you if it's been shipped or still waiting to ship.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #921 on: December 28, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
I got the notice on the 18th saying it had a tracking number and on it's way. But it took several days to leave (from Greensboro I think). And just when I figured it was lost in the mail, I got another notice and it started to make it's way across the states. I am scheduled to get in on the 31st.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: December 28, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »

On your original order email confirmation, there is a link to check the status of the order, clicking that will tell you if it's been shipped or still waiting to ship.

Now this is my real problem... I needed to free up space on my google drive last week and accidentally deleted that email.   :facepalm: (same with my Blind Guardian order I'm also still waiting on...) I have the charge on my credit card I see from Oct 8th as proof of purchase, but this may be harder to track down now.  Ugh, hopefully it just arrives today, but then again, in theory I should have gotten an email of shipment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: December 28, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »
Maybe I needed to put this out there as I got an email after that last post that my package has shipped.  :yarr 

Online faizoff

« Reply #924 on: December 28, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »
Nice! I checked and my email for more info was sent on the 17th back when they said I should be getting it on the 18th. They replied back the same day saying it would ship around 21st. I got an email on the 20th that it shipped.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #925 on: December 28, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
I just received mine.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #926 on: December 28, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
Me too. BTW, the "Behind the Scenes" sucked.

C'mon DT! Obviously the concert itself is the main focus and that alone makes it worth every penny BUT would it kill you to put more effort into the supplemental stuff?

Offline TM172003

« Reply #927 on: December 28, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »
Yeah it’s a shame it was so short. I was just thinking about JP mentioning that they were shooting behind the scenes footage for the writing process for DT15, and I just hope it’s a decent length and not just a five minute montage like the one on Distant Memories.  If it’s anything like Chaos in Progress that’d be amazing, but I’m not holding my breath seeing as that was Portnoy’s thing.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #928 on: December 28, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »
Yeah it’s a shame it was so short. I was just thinking about JP mentioning that they were shooting behind the scenes footage for the writing process for DT15, and I just hope it’s a decent length and not just a five minute montage like the one on Distant Memories.  If it’s anything like Chaos in Progress that’d be amazing, but I’m not holding my breath seeing as that was Portnoy’s thing.

I was going to say as well, MP was the one who was always filming stuff. Who is filming stuff when DT are touring now. I could only see JR being the one that would have footage to get a Behind The Scenes vid from. But then, they could've had more footage, but not enough time to make a good length behind the scenes video.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #929 on: December 28, 2020, 07:38:22 PM »
Funny thing is, even though that was Portnoy's thing, the other guys were kind of the stars of the supplemental material. Those guys are hilarious.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #930 on: December 28, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »
I'm watching it now. And I am loving the Title Screen. That is a cool way to have the title screen with the before the show action going on. That's pretty sweet. As it adds to that live feel before the show goes on.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #931 on: December 29, 2020, 03:46:56 AM »

C'mon DT! Obviously the concert itself is the main focus and that alone makes it worth every penny BUT would it kill you to put more effort into the supplemental stuff?
What is that exactly, I think they've shown some of this on a trailer before the release..is it just a backstage prep footage?

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #932 on: December 29, 2020, 09:06:18 AM »

What is that exactly, I think they've shown some of this on a trailer before the release..is it just a backstage prep footage?

It's just a montage of Backstage, Before show, during show, and after show footage, with Out of Reach being the background music. They likely only had that camera during that show of the tour, and only had so much footage available to use, so just decided to do a montage.

As I said, the reason why we got the Chaos In Motion Behind the Scenes, is due to MP being the one who always had a camera on. The only one close to that is JR.

Most times, the bands have a camera man that is hired by the filming company that is going to be filming the Live Album show. That camera man, follows the band and tours with them on the bus. Nightwish likely already planned to film the Wacken show for the Showtime, Storytime live album, but unfortunately things happened during the tour and that footage of Anette was scrubbed from inclusion, as was stated in the beginning of the behind the scenes, and that made for a really good behind the scenes. They likely did the same thing for End of An Era, with the filming crew.

or they could go full on Metallica, and hire a film crew to document their turmoil during the most intense era of the band.  :rollin

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #933 on: December 29, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »

It's just a montage of Backstage, Before show, during show, and after show footage, with Out of Reach being the background music.

It was also weird that after a few random shots, the lyrics kick in and right when James sings, "There's something about this girl..." the camera cuts to Jordan Rudess doing a goofy wave at the camera.

:facepalm:

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #934 on: December 29, 2020, 10:46:57 AM »

It's just a montage of Backstage, Before show, during show, and after show footage, with Out of Reach being the background music.

It was also weird that after a few random shots, the lyrics kick in and right when James sings, "There's something about this girl..." the camera cuts to Jordan Rudess doing a goofy wave at the camera.

Why does it bother you so much?  :lol

I didn't even care they used the song, nor paid that much attention to the detail of what lyric is sung and what image is shown when those words are sung.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #935 on: December 29, 2020, 01:47:55 PM »

I didn't even care they used the song, nor paid that much attention to the detail of what lyric is sung and what image is shown when those words are sung.

I mean, if that line was sung as they were panning over the soundboard or a stock image of a road case, I doubt I would think anything of it. Even if it was an extended spot of Jordan showing off his keytar, but instead it was, "There's something about that girl..." *BAM* Jordan Rudess!

I mean, it is a weird song to have a concert setup montage for anyway.

"....that girl..."

*BAM*

Jordan Rudess

Now Jordan Rudess is *that girl* and I have to envision James thinking about Jordan as he sings it. There is no escape.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #936 on: December 29, 2020, 01:53:28 PM »

I mean, if that line was sung as they were panning over the soundboard or a stock image of a road case, I doubt I would think anything of it. Even if it was an extended spot of Jordan showing off his keytar, but instead it was, "There's something about that girl..." *BAM* Jordan Rudess!

"....that girl..."

*BAM*

Jordan Rudess

Now Jordan Rudess is *that girl* and I have to envision James thinking about Jordan as he sings it. There is no escape.

Sounds like you could use a good dose of the Vulcan mind-meld to forget......... :coolio

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #937 on: December 29, 2020, 02:44:45 PM »
  :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #938 on: December 29, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »

"....that girl..."

*BAM*

Jordan Rudess

:lol

I didn't notice that at all.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #939 on: December 30, 2020, 01:32:03 PM »
I’ve noticed some people posted some pics of some of the artwork with printed signatures on them, ...
Anyone know which package came with those ?
I have the art book set (haven’t opened yet) as well as the red vinyl set (also not opened)
Thanks !
Rich
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:57 AM »
Hmm... I've got one of those. I think it was in with the vinyl.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #941 on: December 31, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »
Anyone notice during the show that people even in the front row were scrolling on their stupid phones. Those kind of people are not worthy of a front row seat!  :tdwn  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #942 on: December 31, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
Anyone notice during the show that people even in the front row were scrolling on their stupid phones. Those kind of people are not worthy of a front row seat!  :tdwn  :lol

Truth.

I'll admit I sometimes get out my phone for a pic or two and even record some video (never holding it above my head unless it's for a total of 1 or 2 seconds total out of the 3 hour show). But I limit that and never post it, during the show let alone text or anything else.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: January 01, 2021, 07:09:15 AM »
There's one chap in the front row, long grey hair, who is staring down at his phone virtually every single time he's on screen, and he's on screen almost as much as John Myung. Once you see him, you won't be able to unsee him. He's in all the crowd shots from the first night.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #944 on: January 01, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »

For real lol

I do miss the documentaries from earlier DVDs, but they were clearly a MP thing and there's nothing we can do about that but to learn to live without them. They have said they're documenting and filming the process of creating their new studio album so that's kinda nice.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing