Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 96137 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #875 on: December 15, 2020, 08:04:55 AM »
I had the CDs when it came out but I got rid of all of them. I’ve been purely iTunes and Spotify for the past five years.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: December 16, 2020, 08:16:40 AM »
Still waiting for my Vinyl to show up :/

Offline faizoff

« Reply #877 on: December 17, 2020, 06:17:41 PM »
I wish I could find the cd of Live At Budokan. For some reason, it is really hard to find. And Amazon lists the cd, but I bought it and it ended up being the dvd. So I have one of those if anyone wants it.
I also have the DVD and missing the cd too! I remember back in the day they had stacks from that triple CD. Eventually a buddy of mine, which I have turned him to a fan, bought it and I got the live show!

I used to have it. But, that was a long while back. Now I only have 1 cd. Disc 1 got scratched to hell and Disc 3 got lost in my cd case.

I love those versions and it's why I want that cd again. Budokan is what got me into DT more after watching my uncle's dvd.

I have the CD edition with the misprint Majesty logo that came out orange instead of an embossed white. Still have it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: December 17, 2020, 11:21:57 PM »
I have that one, too. The 'correct' version just looks wrong to me now :lol

Here it is, just in case anyone's curious/never knew: https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Live-At-Budokan/release/4245070
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #879 on: December 18, 2020, 06:04:36 AM »
I was living in London at the time, I can't remember if those editions were limited to the UK. And didn't the initial pressings of the US DVD also have some issues with the 5.1?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Party Mike

« Reply #880 on: December 20, 2020, 04:55:55 PM »
I've seen them on three MP era tours with that looser approach and I mostly hated that approach. I'm relived things are the way they are now.

This post jumped out at me. Hate is such a strong word. What exactly did you "hate" about how Mike Portnoy-era Dream Theater sounded live? Is it a case of the tempos being faster/slower than on the album? Genuinely confused.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #881 on: December 20, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »
Speaking of hard to find live albums, I'm looking for the Blu-ray/3CD combo version of Breaking The Fourth Wall.  if anyone has one lying around, and are willing to part with it, send up a smoke signal.   I have the music, but I'm looking for the set itself for completeness sake. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #882 on: December 20, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »
Speaking of hard to find live albums, I'm looking for the Blu-ray/3CD combo version of Breaking The Fourth Wall.  if anyone has one lying around, and are willing to part with it, send up a smoke signal.   I have the music, but I'm looking for the set itself for completeness sake. 
Same here, I am having trouble finding this combo. I have the Bluray but haven't been able to get a hold of this 3 CD set.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #883 on: December 21, 2020, 08:57:14 AM »
*I* don't even have the 3 CD set.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #884 on: December 21, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »
I'm glad I still have my 3 cd set. and the CDs and Blu-ray are not scratched to hell.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #885 on: December 21, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
Wow guys. I have the 3CD set. You just gotta get on it early, just like I did for Distant Memories, of which I will be among the last to receive my copy.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #886 on: December 21, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
I'm still waiting for Distant Memories. Just watched Score over the weekend and I think that one is hard to top. Labrie was amazing on that one.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline sylentman

« Reply #887 on: December 21, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »

Have also been looking for the 3cd version for a while, to complete collection...and seeing there are others with same situation, makes me believe will be a difficult taks hehehe
Lets ask for a re-issue ;)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #888 on: December 22, 2020, 02:36:01 AM »
I just watched Distant Memories on bluray last night, and it is fantastic! I could easily watch this show several times over..  :hat
My only question is:  I thought someone said earlier in this thread that Neil Peart's name appeared on the gravestones along with the others during Through Her Eyes. I watched the song twice and didn't see it. Also, no Hendrix or Prince.  I saw Squire and Rhoads several times.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #889 on: December 22, 2020, 08:26:30 AM »
I just watched Distant Memories on bluray last night, and it is fantastic! I could easily watch this show several times over..  :hat
My only question is:  I thought someone said earlier in this thread that Neil Peart's name appeared on the gravestones along with the others during Through Her Eyes. I watched the song twice and didn't see it. Also, no Hendrix or Prince.  I saw Squire and Rhoads several times.
It was but I’m guessing they didn’t have permission from Neil’s family to put it on the dvd

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #890 on: December 22, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
It was but I’m guessing they didn’t have permission from Neil’s family to put it on the dvd
Do you need permission for something like that? It's paying tribute to artists that have passed away - it's not like it's a selling point of the video. If so, very strange/lame that they couldn't include those names.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #891 on: December 23, 2020, 11:22:18 PM »
This may be the first ever DT release, live or otherwise, that I'll be passing on.

From what I've seen it just doesn't feel like a good show.  From the audience right through to the production.  I'm very sad/reluctant to say it seems like JL is really struggling with just about everything these days and he always sounds so out of breath.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #892 on: December 24, 2020, 07:24:12 AM »
Do you need permission for something like that? It's paying tribute to artists that have passed away - it's not like it's a selling point of the video. If so, very strange/lame that they couldn't include those names.

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to say without knowing more, though if I had to bet, I'd say it wasn't a legal thing at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #893 on: December 25, 2020, 09:46:02 AM »
Just unpacking my Distant Memories this morning. Damn, what beautiful packaging. Great band pics and artwork. Love the B&W pick taken from behind JP, JLB, and JM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #894 on: December 25, 2020, 11:36:27 AM »

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to say without knowing more, though if I had to bet, I'd say it wasn't a legal thing at all.
There's something strange going on there. I know if JP had his way,  Peart's name would be included since Rush is his favorite band of all time. All DT members highly regard Rush.  There would have been plenty of room for Prince and Hendrix too, since Squire's name appears at least three times.
I wonder if those names were originally included and had to be removed for legal reasons, so they just used Squire's name multiple times instead?

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #895 on: December 25, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »

There's something strange going on there. I know if JP had his way,  Peart's name would be included since Rush is his favorite band of all time. All DT members highly regard Rush.  There would have been plenty of room for Prince and Hendrix too, since Squire's name appears at least three times.
I wonder if those names were originally included and had to be removed for legal reasons, so they just used Squire's name multiple times instead?

My guess is that it is the editing for the video and nothing more.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #896 on: December 25, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
Idk, but if it was just editing Petrucci wouldn't have stood for that.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #897 on: December 25, 2020, 12:22:36 PM »
Just unpacking my Distant Memories this morning. Damn, what beautiful packaging. Great band pics and artwork. Love the B&W pick taken from behind JP, JLB, and JM.

Did you get the artbook version? Mine's apparently set to be delivered this Tuesday.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #898 on: December 25, 2020, 12:57:55 PM »
I just listened to it.  It's good, I don't understand the criticism of James.  His pronunciation is a bit weird sometimes, but he's still hitting notes he hit 25 years ago, and sometimes going beyond those notes.  Sounds fine to me.

My only gripe about the performances is Jordan's solos sometimes got drowned in the mix.  I remember in the Home solo it had too much reverb and it was hard to hear the lower notes.

Best performance of the set was Beyond This Life.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #899 on: December 25, 2020, 06:06:16 PM »
Listened to the SFAM portion again last night. One thing I really appreciate about this performance is that Mangini hit those bass drum patterns and then some. SFAM was not Portnoy's best work (still Awake and FII) but what SFAM brought to the table was Portnoy's best footwork. It's amazing. My disappointment with LSFNY was Portnoy did not seem to bother hitting those bass drum patterns, going more basic or substituting with tom fills (which sounds less impressive). In Distant Memories, Mangini hit those bass drum patterns and added some more complexities. Love it.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #900 on: December 26, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »
Listened to the SFAM portion again last night. One thing I really appreciate about this performance is that Mangini hit those bass drum patterns and then some. SFAM was not Portnoy's best work (still Awake and FII) but what SFAM brought to the table was Portnoy's best footwork. It's amazing. My disappointment with LSFNY was Portnoy did not seem to bother hitting those bass drum patterns, going more basic or substituting with tom fills (which sounds less impressive). In Distant Memories, Mangini hit those bass drum patterns and added some more complexities. Love it.

Well I know that MP cleaned up his act a long time ago but in LSFNY he looked pretty f'd up which may explain the toning down of his footwork. He did after all had to get IVs after the show which I can only assume was for dehydration.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #901 on: December 26, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »

Did you get the artbook version? Mine's apparently set to be delivered this Tuesday.

I did not.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #902 on: December 26, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
Got my artbook in today from Century Media (oddly enough, it shipped well after my Frost* 13 Winters artbook, but it arrived before hand...sigh).

The artbook is a gorgeous package, lots of wonderful pictures inside, and the 7 discs are all nicely presented with some cool disc artwork. I can't wait to watch this concert, especially after listening to every DT studio album over this past week.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #903 on: December 26, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »
I've spotted some people saying this concert film is awfully shot. What the crap are they seeing? It all looks beautiful to me. Best cinematography DT's had in years (although the Budokan 2017 concert is a close contender. Japanese filming teams are amazing)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #904 on: December 26, 2020, 10:04:58 PM »
I've spotted some people saying this concert film is awfully shot. What the crap are they seeing? It all looks beautiful to me. Best cinematography DT's had in years (although the Budokan 2017 concert is a close contender. Japanese filming teams are amazing)

I think this is one of the best DT live releases visually.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #905 on: December 26, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »
I haven’t bought this yet based on the early reviews I saw which almost universally stated that this was more “touched up” than any other DT live release.

Now I’m seeing more positive feedback.

How obvious is the “touching up” on this? Is it like Unleashed in the East? (I.e. basically a studio release with audience noise)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #906 on: December 27, 2020, 02:43:34 AM »
It sounds like a recording from the soundboard because the audience sound is minimal, but I would take this than the blatantly fake audience noise in BTFW (the repeating high oitched laugh in the left speaker was the giveaway).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #907 on: December 27, 2020, 03:48:14 AM »
I haven’t bought this yet based on the early reviews I saw which almost universally stated that this was more “touched up” than any other DT live release.

Now I’m seeing more positive feedback.

How obvious is the “touching up” on this? Is it like Unleashed in the East? (I.e. basically a studio release with audience noise)
I was skeptical for a while but I finally bought it.  Distant Memories is a MUST have for any true DT fan. The visuals and sound are B-E-A-utiful.   JLB said in a recent interview that nothing was touched up and I believe him.  It's worth every penny..  :hat

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #908 on: December 27, 2020, 04:00:34 AM »
It is for the most part, the only thing that is kinda funny is the dramatic zooms while focusing on a member and some strange angles..other than that it's nicely done overall.

Offline Evai

« Reply #909 on: December 27, 2020, 04:17:29 AM »

Different things are more obvious to different people. I would never have known Unleashed In The East was 'touched up' if no-one had told me. Meanwhile, Distant Memories is lavished in obvious pitch correction, but that's par for the course on a modern live release.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.