Author Topic: Any advice for someone just picking up guitar?  (Read 6330 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Any advice for someone just picking up guitar?
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
I've been learning to play for a week or two. Any tips for someone just starting to play? So far I've been following a few beginner lessons on https://www.cyberfret.com/. Any other sites you would recommend? I don't really have the money for lessons right now but when I do I plan on getting them. Or should I not bother and teach myself?

This is the first instrument I've played for a while but I played trombone in high school.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Any advice for someone just picking up guitar?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
I tried to teach myself guitar... didn't turn out so well. I'll always be a bassist...

Not much advice I can give you, unfortunately. The best way to learn is to take some lessons, but obviously you can't do that now. Do you have a friend who might be able to teach you for free?

Offline lawl

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »
use a metronome. i didnt, and now i suck

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
I've never looked at cyberfret, but for scales I use guitarseek.com
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
learn a lot of easier songs to build dexterity and coordination, like Seven Nation's Army-White Stripes, the intros to One and Enter Sandman by Metallica, intro to Crazy Train, etc.

and yeah...metronome.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
learn songs that you want to know how to play, then learn why they sound the way they do (get some theory in you) save scales for a little later maybe, although i wish i had done them earlier (i am a self taught guitarist as well, started almost 8 years ago)
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:25:41 AM »
Don't drop it.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
https://spytunes.com/

That's a really good site if you want to learn the basics.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »
Practice, practice, practice. When your fingers gain strength, playing will become easier even if you don't know what your doing yet. I started off by learning the basic chords (E A D G Em Am), with which you can play a lot of songs.
I think I then progressed to 'Power Chords', and taught myself to read tabs (which are very easy so don't worry). Then songs came and I ignored most chords for a while to get a solid picking technique down, and play some basic riffs. Make sure you're not just picking in one direction (try to pick up and down, it will be very useful later on).
I wouldn't worry too much about theory at this point, as if you're getting a teacher later on you can learn it then. Concentrate on the very basics of guitar and that will put you in good contention to turn into something much better.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
I'm self-taught. What I did was get tips and tricks and handy stuff off the internet, and just practiced and practiced. I kept doing that over time, also picking up guitar tabs before learning how to play songs by ear instead almost exclusively now.

Remember:
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:11:14 AM »
Don't drop it.

:neverusethis:

learn songs that you want to know how to play, then learn why they sound the way they do (get some theory in you) save scales for a little later maybe, although i wish i had done them earlier (i am a self taught guitarist as well, started almost 8 years ago)

Is there a website that you know of that teaches some theory? From playing in the high school band I know some really basic things but I regret not taking the music theory class while I was in high school  :facepalm: But I do want to learn a bunch of theory at some point though.

So far I've been trying to practice a little bit of everything. I've memorized a few chords and have been practicing switching between them at slow but steady tempo. I've been practicing a few scales. I've looked up some tabs for a few basic songs and have been practicing each of them a little bit. I've been working on the intro riff to The Trooper more than anything, but I've also done a little bit of, Powerslave, Seven Nation Army, Smoke on the Water, and One. Any other suggestions for easier songs to learn?

Also, one thing I have going for me is that a friend of mine just started learning Bass. So we've picked a couple songs that we want to learn together ( The Trooper and Powerslave) and it's been a nice bit of motivation to practice.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:45:37 AM »
Playing along to CD's (especially metal/rockier type stuff) will help your timing and playing heaps.  Metal is awesome for developing tight rhythm playing.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:12 PM »
Playing along to CD's (especially metal/rockier type stuff) will help your timing and playing heaps.  Metal is awesome for developing tight rhythm playing.

This. I'm looking forward to playing along to the metronome to test out my timing.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
Learn.  Complete.  Songs.

Lots of people know random riffs, but you need to be able to play all the way through songs.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »
Learn.  Complete.  Songs.

Lots of people know random riffs, but you need to be able to play all the way through songs.

yep.

EDIT: FIGURE them out, don't just look up some shitty TAB. that or get some legitimate sheet music.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »
Don't get discouraged when your fingers hurt. the fingernail on my ring finger separated from the skin a bit doing some bends and it hurts so fucking bad. That's what I get for not practicing.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 07:49:44 AM »
Practice. I know it sounds like the obvious advice, but I've been teaching myself for 2 years and am going to my 3rd guitar lesson ever today, and playing so much has brought me so far already. And if you want calluses, this isn't optional.

And, more seemilgly stupid but incredibly important advice: LOVE IT. If you find you can't, there's something really wrong. I quit violin not because I couldn't find time for it, but because I didn't want to find time for it. Funnily enough, I can always find 1-3 hours in the day to play guitar  ;)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
Three things about guitar:

1. Learn Chords (Learning basic chords allow you to play almost every campfire song in history)
2. Learn Diatonic Scales (Allows you to improv and sound really professional)
3. Practice (and use a metronome)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »
I've been playing for 6 years or so and practice, always practice, in fact I play worse now than when I played 2 years ago because I practice less so you have to stay on top of it.

I'm self taught and really I would just say learn some basic chords www.looknohands.com/chordhouse is where I went, although there are a lot sites out there now.

Learn songs that you like to keep it interested, but learn the full song, random riffs won't get you anywhere. I say first 6 months are the hardest, I can't tell you how many times I sweared off the guitar in the first songs but sticking with it paid off.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 10:35:47 PM »
I think people overlook the usefulness of a good guitar teacher.  Mine was great because we had similar music tastes, so he found passages that worked on specific things we worked on.  Metallica is great for this surprisingly.  A good teacher will be able to help you do the little things right faster, particularly if you are relatively new to playing music.

I'm not saying those who are self-taught aren't as good, but a good teacher will pay dividends.  Also, eventually you may become friends and start getting lessons for free.

Another decent investment are DVD's.  I have several, including some I got on eBay cheap.  One DVD costs about the same as 45 minutes of one-on-one instruction, and can be used repeatedly (and sold when you are done!).  I have Petrucci's Rock Discipline, one of Paul Gilbert's, and a few from www.rockhousemethod.com, which are sold at Guitar Center.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 07:21:40 AM »
I think people overlook the usefulness of a good guitar teacher.  Mine was great because we had similar music tastes, so he found passages that worked on specific things we worked on.  Metallica is great for this surprisingly.   A good teacher will be able to help you do the little things right faster, particularly if you are relatively new to playing music.

*Trying not to appear envious but is mad that someone else stole the perfect guitar teacher*

This is where my teacher and I do not connect...he's into jazz and is crazy about the Beatles, when...well, this is DTF right?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 08:14:45 AM »
I took nine lessons, and practiced a ton....and in the end all I could play was the beginning of House of the Rising Sun.

You either have it or you don't.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »
I think people overlook the usefulness of a good guitar teacher.  Mine was great because we had similar music tastes, so he found passages that worked on specific things we worked on.  Metallica is great for this surprisingly.   A good teacher will be able to help you do the little things right faster, particularly if you are relatively new to playing music.

*Trying not to appear envious but is mad that someone else stole the perfect guitar teacher*

This is where my teacher and I do not connect...he's into jazz and is crazy about the Beatles, when...well, this is DTF right?

There's no mutual exclusivity there...I love jazz (just look at my avatar) and the Beatles, and am also on DTF.  Believe me, there is ALOT to be learned from the Beatles...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »

There's no mutual exclusivity there...I love jazz (just look at my avatar) and the Beatles, and am also on DTF.  Believe me, there is ALOT to be learned from the Beatles...

same. imo jazz is probably one of the best ways to really boost your learning about playing. as is stuff by the beatles.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 07:53:40 PM »

Yes, he had me do Daytripper...forget what the reason was though.

same. imo jazz is probably one of the best ways to really boost your learning about playing. as is stuff by the beatles.

Jazz did wonders for my understanding of music theory.

It just happened to be that my guitar teacher was the first guy I interviewed, but I interviewed 6 of them.  He has a band and is a metal head.  I made a mistake when I wanted to learn keyboard, and I went with an experienced and very good piano teacher.  Musically though, we had a huge disconnect.  Like anything in life, being well informed pays dividends.

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »
I'm self-taught. What I did was get tips and tricks and handy stuff off the internet, and just practiced and practiced. I kept doing that over time, also picking up guitar tabs before learning how to play songs by ear instead almost exclusively now.

Remember:
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

This. Practice enough that you know how to play by muscle memory.
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 02:15:41 PM »
Have talent.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
Have talent.

rumborak

Well I'm screwed.  :lol

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »
The most important thing to understand is that it will take time and patience to be good. I've been playing for seven years now and I can barely touch DTs work. I'm self-taught so as far as theory and overall knowledge goes I'm probably lacking, but I can tell you that patience and practice are the key words to remember and put into effect if you want to be a successful guitar player.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
Play Guitar Hero. It really helps build strumming speed, and you gain speed in your fingers as well.

:lol
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »
 :| The thing is, I don't know if you are joking or not.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 07:31:15 AM »
Play Guitar Hero. It really helps build strumming speed, and you gain speed in your fingers as well.

:lol

Uh, no.

Yes, he had me do Daytripper...forget what the reason was though.

2 reasons.  1) It's awesome.  2) The song was an originator of "riff rock", IMO.

Paul Gilbert

:hefdaddy

Practice often (cliched but true) and refuse to allow yourself to get discouraged.  Your fingertips will hurt like a bitch for a little while.  Take a couple days off and come back to it.  Don't let it turn you off to playing, because the pain will go away.  Once you're used to it, that pain shouldn't ever come back.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »
When you do get discouraged, work on something else.  If you are struggling with fingering and getting sick of it, try focusing on something else for a bit, like strumming or palm muting, then come back to what ever was getting the best of you.