Author Topic: WandaVision (Disney+) Official Thread  (Read 18889 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: WandaVision (Disney+) Official Thread
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2021, 05:30:06 PM »
Fantastic episode. Again. Loved Monica's purposeful pose when she came through the hex, it's always the details that pay off for Marvel, and they do them so well. I have no clue what the big surprise ending means, so off to Google I go.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2021, 10:03:06 PM »
:icwomangs:

Oh, and also:

:icwomangs:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2021, 11:26:03 PM »
I want to know who the kid was on the back of the milk carton. Tried to pause it to look but couldn't get a good peek at it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2021, 05:58:42 PM »
Yeah I thought that might be significant, too, but couldn't get a good look.  I mean, everything in this whole show is like one big Easter Egg.  Everything references something.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2021, 06:34:54 AM »
I want to know who the kid was on the back of the milk carton. Tried to pause it to look but couldn't get a good peek at it.

Conveniently, her hand was covering any of the information.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2021, 07:49:52 AM »
The MCU’s always been about science and alien tech. Not liking this new twist at all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2021, 08:21:01 AM »
It seems that Dr. Strange brought "magic" into the MCU.  I refrained from calling it that at first, because it somehow didn't seem right.  He was working with primal forces, arcane knowledge, all kinds of things that we have other words for, but at some point it was clearly "magic" and that's what people call it online, so magic it is.  And how that differs from the type of magic that witches and warlocks use, I'm not sure.  Maybe it doesn't.  Dr. Strange is The Sorceror Supreme, and he uses magic.

The thing about the twist is that it, like a lot of other stuff in this show, was already spoiled for me.  Well, not really spoiled, since it was always presented as speculation, but in reading reviews and discussing episodes, people have been speculating a lot, and a lot of it has turned out to be true.  People in this thread were calling Geraldine Monica before I had any idea who Monica was.  That wasn't really a spoiler, just something I "accidentally" found out an episode or two before it was properly revealed to the audience.  But this twist was kinda spoiled in the same way.  I suspect a scene towards the end of last episode was meant to throw us off that path, and it worked for me.  Then this.  Oh well.  The music was kinda fun.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2021, 09:08:01 AM »
He’s the Master of the Mystic Arts.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »
Did you guys watch the post-credit scene? If not, go and watch it!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2021, 01:50:16 PM »
It seems that Dr. Strange brought "magic" into the MCU.  I refrained from calling it that at first, because it somehow didn't seem right.  He was working with primal forces, arcane knowledge, all kinds of things that we have other words for, but at some point it was clearly "magic" and that's what people call it online, so magic it is.  And how that differs from the type of magic that witches and warlocks use, I'm not sure.  Maybe it doesn't.  Dr. Strange is The Sorceror Supreme, and he uses magic.

The thing about the twist is that it, like a lot of other stuff in this show, was already spoiled for me.  Well, not really spoiled, since it was always presented as speculation, but in reading reviews and discussing episodes, people have been speculating a lot, and a lot of it has turned out to be true.  People in this thread were calling Geraldine Monica before I had any idea who Monica was.  That wasn't really a spoiler, just something I "accidentally" found out an episode or two before it was properly revealed to the audience.  But this twist was kinda spoiled in the same way.  I suspect a scene towards the end of last episode was meant to throw us off that path, and it worked for me.  Then this.  Oh well.  The music was kinda fun.

Ever since Dr Strange, I’ve always just viewed in the vein of that famous quote, “‘Magic’ is just science we don’t understand yet.”

There is some truth to that. For instance, even radio would be considered witchcraft in the dark ages.

But it admittedly toes the line of some ideas I try to steer clear of.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2021, 02:39:27 PM »
I dunno, magic and mysticism has been in the MCU since phase 1 in the first Thor film. They've always leant in a sci-fi direction with it but it's been there, and it might well be the same here by having parallel universes instead of different "dimensions", etc.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:35 PM »
“‘Magic’ is just science we don’t understand yet.”

I've always loved that quote, and I agree that it applies here.  I mean, hey, we've got people from other planets with abilities we don't understand, people from this planet with abilities we don't understand, all kinds of stuff.  It's the realm of comic book superheroes.  What is magic but science we don't yet understand?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2021, 08:42:03 PM »
That’s with the caveat that actual spiritism is something I absolutely do not want in my life. We’d have to go to the P/R thread to take it much further...but it’s a fine line between “mysticism that is actually science we don’t understand yet” and actual “spiritism” which I believe is dangerous.

It’s a fine line, but I just follow my gut on that one. If something inside is throwing up a red flag, I steer clear.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2021, 08:55:19 AM »
The magic used by Dr. Strange is clearly magic, sorcery, thaumaturgy, or whatever euphemism you'd like to give it.  Not technology.

That episode was awesome.  I loved that Agnes got her own theme song/intro.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »
This was a big episode. They've done a great job filling in this character's back story. Looking forward to seeing what the next two episodes give us.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »
This was a big episode. They've done a great job filling in this character's back story. Looking forward to seeing what the next two episodes give us.

I think there's only one more.

But yes, another outstanding episode.

Online faizoff

« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2021, 07:10:53 PM »
Holy shit what an episode! that was almost like half a proper Marvel movie. Longest episode so far. I wonder how long the finale will be.

And that mid-credit scene!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:16:41 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2021, 07:24:59 PM »
Agreed. And this is super intense. Frustrating to me that they have to wander deeper into the magic territory that I’m not really on board with. We’re starting to get into Buffy the Vampire Slayer territory. Blech!

But it was an extremely well written episode with a really good set up. And it makes for more palatable origin for her superhero name which would otherwise come across as really cheesy

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2021, 11:13:22 PM »
Agreed. And this is super intense. Frustrating to me that they have to wander deeper into the magic territory that I’m not really on board with. We’re starting to get into Buffy the Vampire Slayer territory. Blech!

But it was an extremely well written episode with a really good set up. And it makes for more palatable origin for her superhero name which would otherwise come across as really cheesy

What's wrong with magic? And Buffy was a great show. Season 6 (which ironically dealt the most with magic) was mostly shit, but otherwise a great show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2021, 11:25:19 PM »

What's wrong with magic? And Buffy was a great show. Season 6 (which ironically dealt the most with magic) was mostly shit, but otherwise a great show.

I stated earlier in this thread that we’re in P/R territory if go deeper, but suffice to say that it toes the line of what I’m comfortable with.

To me...Dr Strange kinda sorta made it seem like alternate dimension-y kinda pseudoscience-y things we don’t understand-ish. And even that movie was a “gray area” for me. But now they’ve thrown off all the guessing work and just delved into magic and that’s just something I mostly steer clear of. 

I can’t always explain where my comfort zone is. Sometimes I just let my gut tell me if I’m comfortable with where the line is or not.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2021, 12:02:59 AM »
I know what you're implying, but I still don't understand. It's fantasy. Why is it so hard to seperate?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2021, 05:41:01 AM »
It all depends on your outlook. If you don’t believe in the spirit realm, then of course it’s just harmless fantasy to you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2021, 05:46:08 AM »
It all depends on your outlook. If you don’t believe in the spirit realm, then of course it’s just harmless fantasy to you.

I believe in spirit worlds, and this TV show is harmless fantasy for me.

Anywhoo... excellent episode.  I'm curious to know if Agatha is trying to help Wanda, or manipulate her.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »

I believe in spirit worlds, and this TV show is harmless fantasy for me.

Anywhoo... excellent episode.  I'm curious to know if Agatha is trying to help Wanda, or manipulate her.

And what sides in next week's final battle episode will the other powered peeps, Monica and White Vision take in this. I mean, we're building to a battle royale here.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2021, 04:42:53 PM »
I like how we're still not quite sure what Agatha's angle is.  She kept asking Wanda "How did you do it?" and Wanda kept saying she didn't, or that she didn't know how.  Well, apparently she did it (if the flashback from Wanda's perspective can be believed) but it's also true that she doesn't know how she did it, so it's not like she can explain it to Agnes.  But obviously Agatha's a pretty badass witch in her own right, so Wanda has to be careful.  That opening scene was great.

Director Hayward is still an asshole.  When Wanda first showed up at SWORD, I was almost kinda siding with him.  If his organization is in charge of finding out everything they can about sentient weapons, then he's not just authorized to do it, but obligated.  Seeing it as serving the greater good and all that.  I could even see his point about not taking millions of dollars worth of vibranium just to go bury it somewhere.  Since he did not regard Vision as a "person" (for lack of a better term, despite recognizing that Vision is/was sentient), it was an easier decision to make.  Sometimes the bad guy isn't "bad"; he just has a different view of things, just as valid.  But I kept waiting for the misunderstanding and eventual argument to happen, ending with Wanda getting pissed and just taking Vision's remains with her, and causing a bit of destruction on the way out of there.  It would explain why Hayward's been so against Wanda in the first place, how she's dangerous, must be stopped, etc.  He doesn't have to be such an asshole about it, but his position would be a lot more valid.  But again, if Wanda's version of what happened is credible, and what that final scene seems to imply, she did not do that.  She didn't take Visions remains with her.  So Hayward faked the footage?

More answers, but still more questions.  I like how the show itself keeps evolving.  This episode was again very different in tone and presentation from the last three.  If this were a story told via feature-length movie, we might spend the first 1/3 in sitcom-land, the next third finally finding out what the heck's going on, and the big conflict and resolution in the final act.  I suppose that with nine episodes, that how we ended up with the first three episodes almost entirely in sitcom-land, with just the occassional hints that there's more than meets the eye (although we knew that anyway).  Ever since Episode 4, I've been fully on board, and it's been a hell of a ride.  I expect the final episode to blow me away.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2021, 07:52:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:45:16 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2021, 09:04:33 PM »
Kinda crazy how there's only one episode left. With all the lingering questions, it's gonna have to be a hell of a finale.

But with Falcon and the Winter Soldier right behind, then Loki behind that, maybe some of the questions will be left for those shows to answer. Some might be right now issues, and some might just be setting the stage for the long game with Dr. Strange 2 being the big finale or something. They could really fuck around with our heads over the next few years, and with how skillfully and consistently they put out material, we all will happily let them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2021, 09:58:09 PM »
Yeah, I don't think our Disney+ subscription is in any danger.  Between everything Marvel and Star Wars have been doing lately, plus Pixar and of course legacy Disney stuff, it's probably the channel we watch the most.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2021, 11:15:27 PM »
Yeah, I don't think our Disney+ subscription is in any danger.  Between everything Marvel and Star Wars have been doing lately, plus Pixar and of course legacy Disney stuff, it's probably the channel we watch the most.

Plus it's really nice to have pretty much the whole of the MCU on call in case you ever get an itch for a certain movie or scene.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2021, 11:19:39 PM »

Plus it's really nice to have pretty much the whole of the MCU on call in case you ever get an itch for a certain movie or scene.

That's exactly why I got Disney+. And the Mandalorian, but mostly for the MCU.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2021, 06:56:32 PM »
Dammit I keep forgetting to talk about the show by the time I'm back online.

I really liked the episode, though I kind of wish it was the 3rd to last episode. It gave so much depth to Wanda and Vision and just had some of the most beautiful human moments thus far. Seeing the deed to the land was just soul crushing, as was seeing her and her family. Also White Vision at the end was dope.

Super pumped for the last episode. Though from comments from the director, Paul Bettany's statement about the huge cameo may be a bit of a red herring. So I won't expect any huge cameos in the last episode. I hope people don't get too disappointed in it if there's no giant mind blowing cameo. Honestly, they did such a good job just handling these characters that all I want is a good resolution to their story. Or at least enough of one to move Wanda and Vision into their next phase while giving this specific arc a conclusion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2021, 07:13:46 PM »
Okay, I have to be honest, I've seen every MCU movie at least once, some more than that, am I'm vaguely aware that Wanda and Vision had a thing during the movies, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.  I think I gained about 500% more appreciation for their story just with this episode.  And that's on top of the 200% or more that I was already counting from watching this series, and I thought 200% was a lot (and it is).

But... DAMN!!  This episode was amazing.  "What is grief, if not love perservering?"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:30 PM »
Okay, I have to be honest, I've seen every MCU movie at least once, some more than that, am I'm vaguely aware that Wanda and Vision had a thing during the movies, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.  I think I gained about 500% more appreciation for their story just with this episode.  And that's on top of the 200% or more that I was already counting from watching this series, and I thought 200% was a lot (and it is).

But... DAMN!!  This episode was amazing.  "What is grief, if not love perservering?"

You're not wrong. The movies just had SO many things to do that their romance kind of happened off camera. You see them bonding and sharing sweet moments/struggles in Civil War and then they're just kind of already madly in love in Infinity War.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »
Yeah, that's what I mean.  That scene of them bonding over old sitcoms, after we've seen and now totally understand what they mean to Wanda, gave us so much.  She literally taught him to laugh.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2021, 11:23:19 PM »
I loved that line so much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.