Author Topic: RIP Lee Kerslake  (Read 831 times)

Offline ozzy554

RIP Lee Kerslake
« on: September 19, 2020, 07:41:01 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-ozzy-osbourne-and-uriah-heep-drummer-lee-kerslake-dead-at-73

I know he'd been sick for a long time and he actually lived longer than the doctors gave him but this is still a bummer. I've only become a fan of Uriah Heep semi-recently so I'm only just getting an appreciation for the bulk of his work. Though as a Kid I listened to Blizzard and Diary repeatedly. Especially Diary which is still one of my favorite albums of all time. The intros to Over the Mountain and Little Dolls always stuck out to me and even before I knew that the tracks were re-recorded for the 2002 releases I could tell immediately that something was horribly wrong the first time I heard it. Though I love Mike Bordin who is a killer drummer in his own right those parts were simply just irreplaceable.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: RIP Lee Kerslake
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 07:42:40 AM »
Oh wow! Right, I remember he didn't have much time left.

There goes another one..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 07:59:11 AM »
Messed up how he had to write Sharon a letter, while he was sick and dying, just so he can get those platinum acknowledgements and hang em on his wall, and stare and say "I was on these albums".

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-ozzy-osbourne-and-uriah-heep-drummer-lee-kerslake-dead-at-73

I know he'd been sick for a long time and he actually lived longer than the doctors gave him but this is still a bummer. I've only become a fan of Uriah Heep semi-recently so I'm only just getting an appreciation for the bulk of his work. Though as a Kid I listened to Blizzard and Diary repeatedly. Especially Diary which is still one of my favorite albums of all time. The intros to Over the Mountain and Little Dolls always stuck out to me and even before I knew that the tracks were re-recorded for the 2002 releases I could tell immediately that something was horribly wrong the first time I heard it. Though I love Mike Bordin who is a killer drummer in his own right those parts were simply just irreplaceable.

Those drum intro are quite simply amazing. It is weird that such a solid and non-flashy drummer like Lee could create what I consider to be among the greatest drum intros in history. I'm not a drummer but I remember when I first saw footage of him playing those from back in the day, I was shocked he played those on a standard drum kit. I figured to do that he would need one of those giant drum monsters. This is a big loss.  :'(

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »
Awful news.  Love his drumming on those Ozzy albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 08:25:06 PM »
very sad news,,, very
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
Hey, in honor of him, dig out the "Living Loud" record.   Daisley and Kerslake, with Steve Morse (THAT Steve Morse) and Jimmy Barnes.  Their album is half original and half redone Ozzy songs from the first two records.    It's WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than it has any right to be. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 03:35:59 PM »
Hey, in honor of him, dig out the "Living Loud" record.   Daisley and Kerslake, with Steve Morse (THAT Steve Morse) and Jimmy Barnes.  Their album is half original and half redone Ozzy songs from the first two records.    It's WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than it has any right to be.
Their live version of Crowley is a hoot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »
Their live version of Crowley is a hoot.

just saw it and had a good laugh. Well, they did have only 3 days to rehearse.  :biggrin:

Over The Mountain is pretty good though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »
I'm sensing laughter of derision!   :)

I kind of dug it, myself.  Not really a substitute for the real thing, but it was interesting.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 05:23:27 PM »
I'm sensing laughter of derision!   :)

I kind of dug it, myself.  Not really a substitute for the real thing, but it was interesting.

It was just the way it was played. The verse rhythm seemed odd to me, but I still enjoyed hearing basically the band of the first 2 Ozzy albums.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »
Just saw this, very sad news. May he rest in peace.

Yeah, I really liked that one. Some of the original compositions are very good.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au