Author Topic: New JP interview  (Read 2954 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

New JP interview
« on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:44 AM »
Insights on Terminal Velocity, the future of Dream Theater, working with Mike Portnoy, Rush and more: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-john-petrucci/?fbclid=IwAR1nE4AqIH62Fjf2ehkMeInk7ZDumXDF4HlHc8ZInGkRrY7181B6A_eJKoM

Offline geeeemo

Re: New JP interview
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »
So, I want to know..What was the song?? 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »

I was DYING to ask him which one, but the clock was ticking and I had other questions...U actually didn't have time for my final two or three questions, because we had to wrap it up.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »
I know it can't really be helped - but I just can't watch interviews conducted over zoom / skype.  :(

I can't really explain why. They feel claustrophobic. The bad sound and picture doesn't help.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »
I know it can't really be helped - but I just can't watch interviews conducted over zoom / skype.  :(

I can't really explain why. They feel claustrophobic. The bad sound and picture doesn't help.

Maybe you could just listen to it?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 05:15:52 PM »
It was a great interview, btw!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
It was a great interview, btw!

Thanks!!!!

Offline NoFred

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »

Maybe you could just listen to it?

That’s what I did, sounded good to me. Thanks!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 07:33:00 PM »

I was DYING to ask him which one, but the clock was ticking and I had other questions...U actually didn't have time for my final two or three questions, because we had to wrap it up.

Interesting that...so, from a same musical seed, he was developing exactly the same song as a result? Maybe it would be interesting to hear a different result from the same initial musical source. I mean, if JP told me that Temple of Circadia was made recycling a musical idea that previously became Bridges in the Sky, I would believe that. That riff in the begginning of both songs are really close for me. And I'm not critizing, I love both songs and they are very different as a whole.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »

Interesting that...so, from a same musical seed, he was developing exactly the same song as a result? Maybe it would be interesting to hear a different result from the same initial musical source. I mean, if JP told me that Temple of Circadia was made recycling a musical idea that previously became Bridges in the Sky, I would believe that. That riff in the begginning of both songs are really close for me. And I'm not critizing, I love both songs and they are very different as a whole.

I knew I heard something on TV that sounded like a DT riff, straight off the album. Couldn't place it.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »

I knew I heard something on TV that sounded like a DT riff, straight off the album. Couldn't place it.

I hear quite a bit on TV that has in some way been done in DT which I have no problem with because it's JPs and MPs style.

However, if there is anyone that is going to interview JP in the future, ask him if the Latin part of Gemini was recorded with a nylon string guitar - if so what model - or if it was done with an effects pedal and did he use a pick for the solo? JP doesn't show the acoustic side of his playing very often so when this came up, it put a smile on my face.
Who knows, some of you may already know the answer.

Offline Astrogildson

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 10:51:11 AM »
Great interview, Rodrigo! Congrats!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »
Great interview, Rodrigo! Congrats!

Thank you!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 12:06:02 PM »

I hear quite a bit on TV that has in some way been done in DT which I have no problem with because it's JPs and MPs style.

It makes sense, though, these are the DT guys, the pairing of that guitar with those drums is the foundation and main sound throughout the band's first 25 years. JP's Suspended Animation has some moments that remind me of DT, too (especially the first track.) JLB's Elements of Persuasion gives me the DT vibes throughout as well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
JP doesn't show the acoustic side of his playing very often so when this came up, it put a smile on my face.

This! I've been waiting for another JP acoustic solo on a DT album for a while now, as I absolutely love what he did on Solitary Shell, Learning to Live, that small part on the Octavarium instrumental section, Another Dimension (LTE), etc.

JLB's Elements of Persuasion gives me the DT vibes throughout as well.

The writing for that album was much more DTish than any other of his solo albums, so yeah! It also helps that it has two current DT members + Sfogli who at that time was much more of a JP clone than he is now (not meant in a negative way at all, I love Marco's playing).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 06:45:40 AM »
¡Muy buena entrevista, Rodrigo! Se ve que John la disfrutó, y cubriste varios temas interesantes.

Now that I'm also interviewing musicians and bands, I wanted to ask you if you have any tips that you consider are helpful to make a good interview. Maybe as far as the structure, the types of questions, the way of approaching managers/artists so as to get the interview... Whatever you feel like sharing.

¡Muchas gracias! Que andes bien.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 07:14:09 AM »
¡Muy buena entrevista, Rodrigo! Se ve que John la disfrutó, y cubriste varios temas interesantes.

Now that I'm also interviewing musicians and bands, I wanted to ask you if you have any tips that you consider are helpful to make a good interview. Maybe as far as the structure, the types of questions, the way of approaching managers/artists so as to get the interview... Whatever you feel like sharing.

¡Muchas gracias! Que andes bien.

Podemos hablar de eso en privado - rodrigo.altaf@gmail.com

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »
Podemos hablar de eso en privado - rodrigo.altaf@gmail.com

:tup ¡Gracias!

Offline sylentman

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »
Very good interview Rodrigo. Very professional, fluid, fun.
Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
Estaremos esperando la próxima!
Saludos.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 05:06:39 AM »
Thank you!!!!

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 08:10:51 AM »

Yes, it would have been interesting to find out if the song was sufficiently old enough, that there were any major differences in it between how JP writes now, as opposed to then  :coolio

Really enjoyed the interview Rodrigo.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 09:38:01 AM »

Yes, it would have been interesting to find out if the song was sufficiently old enough, that there were any major differences in it between how JP writes now, as opposed to then  :coolio

Really enjoyed the interview Rodrigo.

Thanks! I wish he would have shared it on his page too, because it didn't get as many views as I expected. Oh well...

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
However, if there is anyone that is going to interview JP in the future, ask him if the Latin part of Gemini was recorded with a nylon string guitar - if so what model - or if it was done with an effects pedal and did he use a pick for the solo? JP doesn't show the acoustic side of his playing very often so when this came up, it put a smile on my face.

https://twitter.com/JPetrucci/status/1299366886631763968:

The middle section features an acoustic guitar solo that I played on a German-made gypsy jazz D-hole style guitar.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 12:29:42 PM »

https://twitter.com/JPetrucci/status/1299366886631763968:

The middle section features an acoustic guitar solo that I played on a German-made gypsy jazz D-hole style guitar.

Well that's a start - thanks so much!  :tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
Excellent job Rodrigo!  You couldn't have picked a better person for this first interview. JP is obviously a down to earth guy and easy to get along with.  Thanks far sharing.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »
Excellent job Rodrigo!  You couldn't have picked a better person for this first interview. JP is obviously a down to earth guy and easy to get along with.  Thanks far sharing.  :tup

Thanks!!!