Author Topic: 2020 NFL Pick'em  (Read 4502 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
2020 NFL Pick'em
« on: September 06, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »
I'm not expecting much of a season this year, but eh, we'll see hot it goes.

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem/register/joingroup

Group ID# 21551
Password  BartoRules

2009 ScurvyDreams
2010 Pogoowner
2011 El Barto
2012 jcmistat
2013 Kevshmev
2014 El Barto
2015 Rattlehead
2016 Cool Chris
2017 Rattlehead
2018 El Barto
2019 El Barto
2020 El Barto
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

Re: 2020 NFL Pick'em
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »
In it to win it....or come in 5th.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:44:27 AM »
Thanks for setting this up again.

I haven't won in the three years here, but I've done well enough to hold me head up high, and this is a great way to keep tabs on proving that I kinda know what's going on.  If I could only avoid that one semi stinker week.

Good luck to all!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »
In.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »
I dont recall if I've ever joined the DTF pick em before, but why not?  I'm usually pretty bad at these

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
I dont recall if I've ever joined the DTF pick em before, but why not?  I'm usually pretty bad at these

Oh, just wait.  I say this in fun, because I consider him a friend, but a Brit citizen that lives in Russia and who would be the first to tell you that "football" means soccer, bitches, and who (jokingly, but still) posited a picking theory based on the mascots of the teams in question, came in I think second last year? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 11:32:24 AM »

Oh, just wait.  I say this in fun, because I consider him a friend, but a Brit citizen that lives in Russia and who would be the first to tell you that "football" means soccer, bitches, and who (jokingly, but still) posited a picking theory based on the mascots of the teams in question, came in I think second last year?

Yea, I mean, I wonder if I just went with the flow and only picked the ones everyone else picks and what place I would be in.  WHile there may be some good statistical analysis to make the pics, sometimes none of that matters.  It's football and that's why it's my favorite sport.  Any given sunday.... having said that, I've never come close to winning these types of games or fantasy.  EVER.  :lol So I play for fun and maybe, just maybe, the ball rolls my way. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »
Well, I finished in the top 5 last year.  Let's see if I can get lucky again.  IN.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 03:37:16 PM »
I did okay last year but didn’t know the playoffs were included.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
Wasn't going to sign up due to waning interest in the league, but it's fun, so I am in!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »
Weekly winners get a prize, right?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:36:01 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
Glad I changed my TNF pick to the Browns.  Probably a first for me.  :eek
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 08:31:48 AM »
Joe Burrows is this years Andrew Luck.    He is doing so many good things, and doing them the right way, but the rest of his teams is....

Bill Belichick ought to be cozying up to Mike Brown and... I forget the coaches name.  Send Cincinnati Cam Newton, Jarret Stidham, Brian Hoyer, AND a draft pick for Burrows.  Let's make it happen, peeps! 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 09:37:06 PM »
That [Cowboys onsite kick & victory] cost me a perfect 16-0

He said, disproving his attempt at foresight. :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 08:30:27 AM »
That [Cowboys onsite kick & victory] cost me a perfect 16-0

He said, disproving his attempt at foresight. :D
Yeah, I was actually glad LV pulled off the upset because of that fucking onside kick.  :lol  In this case 14-2 was a whole lot more palatable than an infuriating 15-1. Dave was the one that got burned by MNF.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 08:54:17 AM »
Everyone picked Jackedupville last night. :lol  It's a wash... :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »
Everyone picked Jackedupville last night. :lol  It's a wash... :metal
Fitzpatrick is the single worst thing to ever happen to the Pick'em. Every game he's either Joe Montana or Ryan Leaf, and it's impossible to predict which it'll be.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »
 :lol  I actually thought about changing my pick because Miami usually comes back after being in a slump, but the Jags simply did not show up for that game when they were expected to do well at home.  Even though I did really well last week, still glad I don't bet on sports.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »
Changed my pick at the last minute. When will I learn that's never a good idea? Got caught up in the local Minshew Mania.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 01:41:17 PM »
Forgot to pick the early games today.  I’m out.  :facepalm:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »
Changed my pick at the last minute. When will I learn that's never a good idea? Got caught up in the local Minshew Mania.
I changed my CHI/ATL pick at the last second, and it [eventually] panned out.

This was one of the hardest weekends I can remember. A whole lot of games where one team should probably win, but it really could go either way.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 07:05:19 AM »
I changed my CHI/ATL pick at the last second, and it [eventually] panned out.

This was one of the hardest weekends I can remember. A whole lot of games where one team should probably win, but it really could go either way.

Yeah, there were easily four or five like that (usually there's one maybe two).   I know we don't like talking about the games before, but I think tonight is in that bucket too (albeit at a higher level). 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 07:34:27 AM »
I’m not having any problems. 😉

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »
WOW.  I was sweating that Baltimore pick.  It's not looking so great now, but at least I'm not the only one that picked them.

And I'm friggin' done with Steve Levy.  He clearly wants to have Mahomes' children and I'm not feeling it.  There's not one play where it's not about how "transcendent" (yes, he used that word) Mahomes is.  My God.  He's a football player. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
Forgot to pick the early games today.  I’m out.  :facepalm:

Still going after missing my early game picks in week 2.  Down but not out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
I think this week coming up is a tough week...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
I think this week coming up is a tough week...

aren't they all? But yea, a lot of tough choices to be made

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 07:09:38 AM »
So I did something I never EVER do, and that's change a pick last minute.  I was down a couple points and panicked, and changed my pick from Arizona to Seattle.   :tdwn

Problem is, I changed my Monday pick as well, and now I don't know what to do; do I go back and reverse it, or ignore superstition?   The Monday pick was indecisive, even when I made it back on Wednesday, but I honestly don't know what to do there.   

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »
It's like Barto said.  Sometimes the teams that are supposed to win, just don't.  :dunno:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 08:46:46 AM »
It's like Barto said.  Sometimes the teams that are supposed to win, just don't.  :dunno:
Especially in divisional games. You can put a 10-0 NE team against an 0-10 Miami team and the Fins might win by 40 points. I make the best pick I can, but I never have any real confidence in the outcome.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2020, 06:00:45 AM »
Last week was horrible!  :tdwn

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 03:23:19 PM »
Standings after ten weeks:
1  Admiral Barto   105-41-1
2  T-ski’s Pick-ski’s   102-44-1
3  Stadler’s Wild Guesses   98-48-1
4  DragonAttack    97-49-1
    dave_manchester       97-49-1
6  Cramx3Pix   90-56-1
7  Chris    87-59-1
8  AAgent66   87-59-1
9  D.O.C    85-61-1
10 Rattlehead   66-80-1
11 Mister One   40-106-1

After dropping from four games back to ten in a three week span, I seem to have found my mojo again these past two weeks.  And now that I've jinxed myself......

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 08:47:52 PM »
@ people who are good at this... how much time do you spend on your picks? How much of it is based on analysis, and how much is based or gut feeling? Are you reading weather forecasts and injury reports? Or just thinking "Eh... this team is due for a win this week."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
I literally look at the games and pick who I think is better, takes me less than 2 minutes to make all the picks.