Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 152594 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Wolfking Top 30
« Reply #2590 on: January 31, 2021, 06:02:54 AM »
2. Try Me (Lights Out)

1. Dreaming of Summer (Walk on Water)

No argument from me, Kade. Very worthy entries and beautifully presented.  :tup :tup :clap:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2591 on: January 31, 2021, 06:03:57 AM »
Much appreciated Gregg.  Thanks for following.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: January 31, 2021, 06:05:02 AM »
Doctor Doctor is not in my top 2, I'll say that.  It wouldn't make my top 50.

It doesn't even make my UFO playlist.

I will say, I do like the re-recorded version on WOW.  Nice production and Schenker makes it much more interesting than the original.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2593 on: January 31, 2021, 08:19:19 AM »
There can't be a UFO top 30 that doesn’t include Doctor Doctor. Not in my universe anyway.  :biggrin:

There's at least two. :lol

Three. Doctor Doctor is a waste of time.

Four.  Not a waste of time, but there's so much better.   It'd make the Top 50, probably, but certainly not the Top 25.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2594 on: January 31, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
The songs from Walk on Water aren't imprinted on my brain like all the earlier albums that I got into when I was a teenager, so I just gave Dreaming of Summer a re-listen to refresh my memory. That's a quality song, for sure, especially the 3:40 to 5:00 minute section that you mention, Wolfking. Loved your write-ups of all of the songs :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: January 31, 2021, 12:49:02 PM »
Thanks Zoom.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2596 on: January 31, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »
2. Try Me (Lights Out)

I guess it would seem rare for me to have a ballad like this in a number 2 position of any list, but this song is simply remarkable.  I've mentioned before that Lights Out was an album I've had for years but never really got into it, and it never really clicked.  I'd say UFO are very consistent but for me this album is anything but that.  Nevertheless, rediscovering this album I fell in love with this song.  Everyone can relate to this song I feel.  We've all been in situations that the lyrics can relate to from a relationship point.  Well, I know I can anyway. 

Even though the song is a ballad, is depressing as hell, yet stunningly beautiful at the same time.  Paul Raymond plays this piece amazingly and the strings are wonderful.  The obvious star of this show is Schenker.  This solo is one of the most well crafted, beautiful, well thought out, well performed climaxes to any song I've ever heard.  The way it builds is masterful.  The melodies are simply perfect and the emotions and feelings it gives you is chilling.  Schenker makes you feel with this song and the echoes the lyrics so damn well.

C minor this one is in to start with.  I love 2:59.  That sequence could make a grown man cry.  E flat it shifts to for the harmonized section, following the basic chords that the song started in the verses and chorus.  Back to C minor for the build with some simple octaves, then the explosion at 3:59 is monstrous.  Schenkers subtle notes, choking bends and limited note selection makes this solo tear you up.  Everything is perfect.  The feel and emotion he puts in here is a thing of legends, seriously.  One can shred his ass off but the pure mastery on show here blows technicality out of the water.  My favourite part is the last melody at 4:32, this does just about make me shed a tear.  The brilliant thing is the note that it ends on.  It ends on a b flat, the 7th degree of the c minor chord.  It literally doesn't resolve.  That is absolutely insane how he makes this work so well.  It goes back to the lyrics of the guy not being complete without the one he loves.  Seriously, ending the way it does is outstanding.  One of the most perfectly crafted solos of all time.  Brilliant music, brilliant tune.

Great writeup, Kade! I remember back in the 80's, Schenker used to cite this solo as one of his favorites. He had just turned 22 when they recorded Lights Out. What I find amazing about this solo is that the track is less than five minutes long, but the solo never feels rushed. It totally breathes, especially at the beginning. Those first notes of the passage, they're so gentle, but firm. Amazing.

The other thing that solo has is that at 4:13, it has my favorite air drumming fill in the catalog, the tom-tom-crash. I dare anyone to try and listen to this song, and not do it too!

Paul Raymond is amazing on this track. He has a great sense of pacing throughout.

And as we'll talk about with your next pick, Phil has a real believability in his vocals. To me, it is what really makes him special. He delivers a great lyric, but the performance totally backs it up.

1. Dreaming of Summer (Walk on Water)

There was simply no way that this song wouldn't be number one.  This one was a hit with me right away.  This song just has incredible play back value.  There's really nothing wrong with this song.  I can't think of anything that I would change about it.  I love the Love to Love feel at the start here, I think that's a nice touch.  I don't know where to start with this song or really explain why it's number one, it just is.  I listen to this song and I feel safe, happy, and during these seven minutes, everything in life disappears. 

It's a great story so I'll start with that.  I can't think of many other vocalists that write lyrics like Phil.  It's been said a lot but his story telling ability in songs is outstanding.  You get perfect imagery from this song too.  Again, in perfect UFO fashion we get lyrics about someone struggling but the music is so positive during that chorus especially.  I love the tension at the start though with a real uncertain feel, just like the story.  Phil's vocals in the chorus are sublime, and the melodies are just perfect, absolutely perfect.  One line I like is the 'I really love my old lady, much more grief she can take.  Wish I could take her some place fancy, still need that lucky break.'  Wow!

The music here also breathes and has such a wonderful atmosphere.  Paul again owns a lot of this thing, it's beautiful playing and melodies.  Schenker now is is more subdued but this is sometimes where he is at his best.  I will say right now, that the section of music from 3:40 to 5:00 might be easily one of the most amazing, beautiful and perfect sections of music I've ever heard.  Schenker here is in Try Me mode.  Simple E minor notes but his gentle touch you can hear.  His tone is on point and even though there's a fair bit of overdrive in his tone, it's light and as I said his subtle gentle touch with these notes is music perfection.  I love firstly how the note at 3:43 is not as loud, like he didn't even pick the note, a ghost note kind of.  The melody builds so well and 4:15, holy fucking shit that simple melody we've heard from so many bands time and time again is hypnotic and gives me goosebumps.

What we get next is incredible, we go from E minor to Eb minor, so creative and unique.  That change is so good, and Schenkers licks in there, well what can I say, but perfect.  It then shifts back to E minor and Schenker gives us a little acoustic beauty.  I can't say enough how fucking good that one minute and 20 seconds of music is, seriously.

The song finishes nicely, with that riff from the start and Schenker's out there solo really gives off no indication of the story how the guy gets on.  The whole sounds sums up the panick, frustration and uncertainty in needing to support him and his partner.  It's so clever.  Seems like Schenker is using some blues notes,  I think this is in Mixolydian mode too, but he also uses flattened second.  I haven't dived into that outro just yet.

Nevertheless, not sure what else to say, but I looked at so many of the other songs to see if this song wasn't worthy of the top spot, but everything else came up short.  The track is simply and amazing piece of music and I thank Tim for introducing me to it.  Every music lover should hear the beauty of this song, it's a work of art.

Another fantastic writeup! There's so much in this song, it's hard to know where to start.

The way it begins, and ends, gives it that "day in the life" feel. It's a songwriting technique that band's have used before, but none more effectively done here. I love that little acoustic guitar right before the vocals start. To me, it represents sunrise, a dawn to a new day. The pacing of the song makes you feel like you're on a train into the city.

The chorus is amazing.

That whole solo section is one of my all time favorites. No shredding needed. Perfection at work, here. And that lick after Phil sings "I'm dreaming of summer, it's just me and you now".. Almost a hopeful lick

But then he follows the next line "But a love with no money, how long will it ring true now" with a soul crushing response.

This song is simply master class.

Kade, I really enjoyed your writeups. While responding, I always listened back. You were spot on on your ability to notice the subtleties of UFO's music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2597 on: January 31, 2021, 07:01:39 PM »
The way it begins, and ends, gives it that "day in the life" feel. It's a songwriting technique that band's have used before, but none more effectively done here. I love that little acoustic guitar right before the vocals start. To me, it represents sunrise, a dawn to a new day. The pacing of the song makes you feel like you're on a train into the city.

The chorus is amazing.

That whole solo section is one of my all time favorites. No shredding needed. Perfection at work, here. And that lick after Phil sings "I'm dreaming of summer, it's just me and you now".. Almost a hopeful lick

But then he follows the next line "But a love with no money, how long will it ring true now" with a soul crushing response.

This song is simply master class.

Kade, I really enjoyed your writeups. While responding, I always listened back. You were spot on on your ability to notice the subtleties of UFO's music.

Wow, I love your description in that first paragraph Tim, that's bloody spot on.  The verse vocal melody gives that 'dawn of a new day' kind of feel too.  Mate, those licks in that middle section from Schenker in between Phil's vocals are just incredible, and his tone is off the charts.

Thanks Tim for taking the time to listen to the songs while listening back.  Your feedback and appreciation is very much appreciated.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2598 on: January 31, 2021, 08:17:03 PM »
 :tup

So I think I have a Top 30 ironed out.

@Kade...I know you love Making Contact. I have two songs on my Top 30, actually sharing the same spot together... um anyway, they are two that you didn't list. These two go back to back and they get me every time.

Also, we have 10 songs in common. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Immortal
« Reply #2599 on: January 31, 2021, 08:22:50 PM »
I've been trying to just do a top 5 and keep tripping over myself. I hate trying to do lists. I'm better at generalizations. Lists of Awesome, Good, and Nope. Stuff like that. I had gotten as far as a top 4 and locked up over 5. I then deleted and moved on. Maybe I'll try again.

Still routinely throwing on some UFO every now and then. Listening to Dreaming Of Summer as I type this. Haven't grown tired of them yet.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2600 on: January 31, 2021, 08:24:49 PM »
It's extremely difficult.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: January 31, 2021, 08:34:11 PM »
:tup

So I think I have a Top 30 ironed out.

@Kade...I know you love Making Contact. I have two songs on my Top 30, actually sharing the same spot together... um anyway, they are two that you didn't list. These two go back to back and they get me every time.

Also, we have 10 songs in common. :)

So looking forward to this mate.  I might have a listen again to Making Contact and see if I can guess.

10 songs only in common shows the strength once again of this band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2602 on: January 31, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
They were great song writers. I have a song with no guitar solo. :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2603 on: January 31, 2021, 09:55:52 PM »
Crap. While trying to come up with a top 5 song list, I was revisiting some stuff and Seven Deadly has snuck up on me. I remember really liking the first 3 tracks and wrote off the rest of the album. I decided to continue listening and am now really enjoying it. Angel Station was excellent. Vinnie's solo on that thing. I might not be done spending. I might go after this one now and if my tune is changing on this, it might on the others as well. I said I needed to be in the right frame of mind. It appears I might be there.

As for the top 5, I actually got to 8 and am now stuck trying to make it an even 10. What's worse, I have no order. That might be the way I go. 10 favorites instead of top 10. We'll see. Of course, now that I am enjoying albums that I did not previously, it could blow it all up again.

This thread is killing me.

EDIT: And I just put in an order at Amazon. They claim to have it for $13 and that it will be in stock soon. We'll see. For that price, I figured, why not? Guess it's time to revisit Monkey and Visitor. Might have a fresh perspective. Vinnie's solos on Seven were fantastic. Not sure where my head was the first time through.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:16:47 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2604 on: February 01, 2021, 06:15:49 AM »
The key to enjoying the Vinnie Era is not getting bogged down with what it isn't...Schenker 2.0.
It's more about enjoying what it is..really nice music that is made to age well. It doesn't hit you all at once. Vinnie is great, but if you're expecting a shredfest, then you'll be disappointed.

Phil, musically, has mellowed, but that doesn't take away from any of the performances. Paul Raymond is excellent on all of these albums, as is Vinnie. And Phil's lyrics are as nuts as they have ever been.

Seven Deadly is sneaky really good. It's quite bluesy, and is a good spot for Phil. And it scratches a non metal itch for Vinnie, as he excels on it.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2605 on: February 01, 2021, 07:48:38 AM »
To me it's really hard to make song lists, specially because there's always a lot of different sides of any great band to be represented. And because of this specific reason I think it's even harder to put the songs in preference's order (maybe I could choice the best 10, the best 11 to 20 etc). In UFO's case, that I really like/love so many albums and songs, it's quite a task! Well, it’s a bit more “safe” than Wolfking’s list (again, Wolf, GREAT writings!), but here is my best attempt to do a top 30 UFO songs (more one amazing cover!), in chronological order and with some comments on some songs:

Rock Bottom (SitN version)
Let it Roll (SitN version)
Mother Mary (SitN version)
Natural Thing (SitN version) – This song has a special place in my heart, since it was the first UFO song that I ever heard! A friend of mine, an UBER UFO fan recorded to me a K7 with a "best of". This one was the first song on the A-side.
Try Me  - The most beautiful UFO’s ballad with THAT unbelievable final solo.
Lights Out
Love to Love – Maybe the only UFO truly prog song? So unique in their catalog.
Pack Up and Go
Ain't No Baby
Looking Out for No 1
Hot 'n' Ready
Alpha Centaury/Lettin’ Go – This space/alien intro is excellent and really creates a mood for the amazing Lettin’ Go.
Mystery Train - Incredible version, that it took the original composition to another whole level.
Long Gone
Profissional of Violence  - The almost (almost!) most beautiful UFO’s ballad, also with THAT unbelievable final solo.
The Writer – The riff on this song has that “fat/full”quality that I associate to a lot of Chapman’s riffs. And the solo trade off between guitar, keyboard and sax is amazing. :hefdaddy
Doing It All for You – Great song with wonderful outro.
We Belong to the Night
Blinded by a Lie -
When It's Time to Rock - I love the riff and that ending with tunnel effect and orchestration.
Meanstrets – Commercial hard rock at its finest with a very inspired riff.
Wreckless – Excellent song, but THAT first minute is so hauting and beautiful...  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Boderline – Monstrous opener with great personality.
Backdoor Man – This song has a really great swagger (well, I guess this is the word in english! :biggrin:)
Love Deadly Love – it’s totally  a homage reverencial to the Schenker phase and also so incredible well done.
A Self-Made Man – Schenker back with the 2 feet on the door!  :metal :metal
Dreaming of Summer – like Love to Love, it's kind of a rare UFO prog/epic, so good!
Love is Forever  - Although I’m not a super fan of Covenant, the album begins amazingly with this song and the next.
Unraveled 
Baby Blue – So beautiful and not a obvious ballad.
Wonderland  - It does sound sooo Chapman phase to me. I just wish Moore/Mogg have done more songs in this style.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2606 on: February 01, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »
@Rodrigo, This guy's questions obviously weren't as good as yours. Michael's answers were so short! :lol

https://www.eonmusic.co.uk/michael-schenker-eonmusic-interview-january-2021.html

"but of course Rudolph is a trickster"  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2607 on: February 01, 2021, 12:41:14 PM »
Schenker clearly has issues with Phil. Well, he has issues in general, but he seems to really have it out for Phil. Saying Phil destroyed UFO after he left and such (he did not).

Michael seemed to like everyone else in the band, just had a big ego clash with Phil. Needless to say, I don't see Michael throwing the UFO fanbase a bone and doing any sort of reunion before the end, especially with Pete and Paul being gone.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2608 on: February 01, 2021, 12:44:46 PM »
Michael is on record as saying he would not participate in that anyway.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: February 01, 2021, 12:49:44 PM »
Michael is on record as saying he would not participate in that anyway.

Yeah, I read that recently too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: February 01, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »
To me it's really hard to make song lists, specially because there's always a lot of different sides of any great band to be represented. And because of this specific reason I think it's even harder to put the songs in preference's order (maybe I could choice the best 10, the best 11 to 20 etc). In UFO's case, that I really like/love so many albums and songs, it's quite a task! Well, it’s a bit more “safe” than Wolfking’s list (again, Wolf, GREAT writings!), but here is my best attempt to do a top 30 UFO songs (more one amazing cover!), in chronological order and with some comments on some songs:

Rock Bottom (SitN version)
Let it Roll (SitN version)
Mother Mary (SitN version)
Natural Thing (SitN version) – This song has a special place in my heart, since it was the first UFO song that I ever heard! A friend of mine, an UBER UFO fan recorded to me a K7 with a "best of". This one was the first song on the A-side.
Try Me  - The most beautiful UFO’s ballad with THAT unbelievable final solo.
Lights Out
Love to Love – Maybe the only UFO truly prog song? So unique in their catalog.
Pack Up and Go
Ain't No Baby
Looking Out for No 1
Hot 'n' Ready
Alpha Centaury/Lettin’ Go – This space/alien intro is excellent and really creates a mood for the amazing Lettin’ Go.
Mystery Train - Incredible version, that it took the original composition to another whole level.
Long Gone
Profissional of Violence  - The almost (almost!) most beautiful UFO’s ballad, also with THAT unbelievable final solo.
The Writer – The riff on this song has that “fat/full”quality that I associate to a lot of Chapman’s riffs. And the solo trade off between guitar, keyboard and sax is amazing. :hefdaddy
Doing It All for You – Great song with wonderful outro.
We Belong to the Night
Blinded by a Lie -
When It's Time to Rock - I love the riff and that ending with tunnel effect and orchestration.
Meanstrets – Commercial hard rock at its finest with a very inspired riff.
Wreckless – Excellent song, but THAT first minute is so hauting and beautiful...  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Boderline – Monstrous opener with great personality.
Backdoor Man – This song has a really great swagger (well, I guess this is the word in english! :biggrin:)
Love Deadly Love – it’s totally  a homage reverencial to the Schenker phase and also so incredible well done.
A Self-Made Man – Schenker back with the 2 feet on the door!  :metal :metal
Dreaming of Summer – like Love to Love, it's kind of a rare UFO prog/epic, so good!
Love is Forever  - Although I’m not a super fan of Covenant, the album begins amazingly with this song and the next.
Unraveled
Baby Blue – So beautiful and not a obvious ballad.
Wonderland  - It does sound sooo Chapman phase to me. I just wish Moore/Mogg have done more songs in this style.

Nice list, and thanks again. Lots of variety to mine but all great songs. 

One song I regret now missing out on my list is Ain't No Baby. Hmmm.....that probably should have made the cut, that's a great song.

Online devieira73

« Reply #2611 on: February 01, 2021, 01:25:33 PM »
Yeah, Ain't No Baby was always one my favorite songs from Obsession and Obsession always was my fave album, so it has to be in the list!
But, my first version of the top 30 had around 50 songs, it wasn't easy to cut almost half of them! I'm sure you have left out a lot of songs that deserved to be your list, in your own point of view.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2612 on: February 01, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »
Yes, that is a nice list. I meant to comment on it earlier. Lots of variety and so many great songs. Doing a Top 30 was really tough.

Yeah, Ain't No Baby was always one my favorite songs from Obsession and Obsession always was my fave album, so it has to be in the list!
But, my first version of the top 30 had around 50 songs, it wasn't easy to cut almost half of them!
I'm sure you have left out a lot of songs that deserved to be your list, in your own point of view.

Same here!

If no one has an issue, I may start my countdown tonight.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: February 01, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
I'm ready Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2614 on: February 01, 2021, 02:21:13 PM »
OK, I think I'll do 5 songs at a time. 3 UFO/2 Schenker and then 2 UFO/3 Schenker. Somewhere around 10-15, I'll add a Waysted tune.

Online devieira73

« Reply #2615 on: February 01, 2021, 03:07:43 PM »
Cool, TAC, very curious about your list and commentaries. :corn

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: February 01, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »
 :hefdaddy

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: February 01, 2021, 05:04:53 PM »
I'll trust both wolfking's and TAC's lists to put together my 'best ofs'.  Looking forward to the host's <drum roll.....>
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The TAC Top 30
« Reply #2618 on: February 01, 2021, 06:35:19 PM »
UFO

30 History Of Flames  (Edge Of The World)

We'll start this off with a fucking ripper. George Bellas makes his presence known right out of the gate. His playing is wicked under the verse.
And I love the prechorus. It's a different thing for them as they don't use a backing vocal lead vocal back and forth like..ever.

I like the Covenant style bridge. Gives you a breather without losing it's pace. Bellas has a Yngwie style solo, and then the song resumes with the main riff, along with a fantastic groove by Aynsley Dunbar.
And as nice as the soloing is, especially underneath the chorus as the song is closing out, this song runs on some fantastic rhythm guitar.

When I heard Vinnie Moore joined UFO, I immedeately thought of this song and started drooling.

29 Stranger In Town  (The Visitor)

I rate The Visitor as my favorite Vinnie Era album. Stranger In Town closes it out in grand fashion.
It riffs and rocks pretty hard with more off the wall lyrics by Phil. But it's the "chorus" that slays. The "Everybody's at the party" part. That gives me goosebumps when I hear it. And Paul Raymond's excellence totally makes that section glow. And to Kadestamp a part, at 1:55-2:16, Paul and Vinnie play this glorious section before the solo.

The solo is great. After a brief setup the money shot comes at 2:30 (with a nice total band widdle down in the seconds before).
This is actually one of my favorite Vinnie solos. And it blends quite smoothly with the return of that great chorus.
And I'd be remiss to mention just how perfect Andy's ride cymbal sounds during the chorus. What a nice blend of sounds.

And then the last 30 seconds of this song..  :hefdaddy

BTW, without looking, does anyone know WTF a gibbet is? At first I thought it was a Mogg made up word.  :lol I had to look it up.

28 Call My Name/All Over You  (Making Contact)

Sure Blinded/Diesel is a great combo, but in the back half of the album, I love the back to back of Call My Name and All Over You.

Someone mentioned in the thread that Phil writes a lot of songs about hookers and strippers. Well, he does! And here's two of 'em.

I love Call My Name. It is such a catchy song and gets me head bobbing everytime.

Considering it's a song about a prostitute, I find Neil's "church wedding" intro quite interesting.

Again, Phil paints a vivid story.."I met you, watching the cars go by."
The prechorus is fantastic ending with a double flam that I cannot help but air drum to.
In the second verse, Paul starts tastefully chiming in between lines. He sounds nice here. And speaking of nice, his solo is melodic and beautiful. Perfect, really. It's one of my favorites from him.
The song ends with a wonderful outro by Paul.

And then Call My Name's evil twin comes calling with All Over You. Call My Name speaks of love where All Over You takes a turn for the wicked.

This song sports a thumping bass line in the verse. I assume it's Neil, since he wrote the song, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, Phil weaves another interesting tale.

"Well, you think you're the queen of Texas
Who you foolin' now?"

This has another great Chapman solo and I love the switch at 2:14, and then it goes to another level briefly at 2:22.

The final verse crushes it.

"Well I bet your mama doesn't know
What her baby's into now
And you know how much she can cost
When you pay by the hour
And I guess that you can fool yourself
Oh, you do most of the time
But in whose bed do you sleep tonight
Oh, babe, that's the bottom line"

30 History Of Flames
29 Stranger In Town
28 Call My Name/All Over You

Michael Schenker

30 Bittersweet  (Tales Of Rock N Roll)

Tales Of Rock n Roll is an interesting album, made up of some catchy quick hitters than seemingly run together. It's filled with great moments, but Bitterweet is the one that I find to be totally addicting.

It starts out with a great driving pace. I happen to love Jari's vocal on this. There's something endearing about it.
Great intro by Michael, and then he hits this tone for the verses, I don't even know how to descibe it. But it's wild.

I love the solid drumming from Jeff Martin.

The passage at :52 has such a nice feel.That same passage is repeated at 2:35 after a short but sweet solo, but that time, Michael is totally working his magic underneath.

29 Cry For The Nations  (Michael Schenker Group)

Cry For The Nations is a song that has always made me feel good. I fell in love with it on the One Night At Budokan album.

Cozy Powell helps to fill the song out, as I have always found the original studio version somewhat thin, a complaint I have about the entire first album.

There's nothing remarkable about the verse or the chorus, but it is just enjoyable. And the 1:15 solo is fantastic.  I am always happy when Michael takes an extra measure or two for his solo.

The Studio outro is nice enough, but the Budokan outro is where it's at. The band, Powell, Glen, and of course Paul Raymond is tight, and that outro is enhanced by that.

30 Bittersweet
29 Cry For The Nations
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:21:26 PM by TAC »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: February 01, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
Lots to chew through here Tim.  I'll add some thoughts when I'm at home.  I love you included an Edge of the World tune in your UFO list.  Nice touch that.

All Over You just missed the cut for my list.  That's a fabulous song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2620 on: February 01, 2021, 08:42:46 PM »
Lots to chew through here Tim.  I'll add some thoughts when I'm at home. 

Cool, looking forward to it.

I love you included an Edge of the World tune in your UFO list.  Nice touch that.

History Of Flames is so strong. George Bellas plays a wicked rhythm guitar.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: February 01, 2021, 10:38:01 PM »
He's a great guitar player. 

Yeah, I'll listen through the songs and post my thoughts too.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: February 02, 2021, 04:31:19 AM »
UFO

30 History Of Flames  (Edge Of The World)

We'll start this off with a fucking ripper. George Bellas makes his presence known right out of the gate. His playing is wicked under the verse.
And I love the prechorus. It's a different thing for them as they don't use a backing vocal lead vocal back and forth like..ever.

I like the Covenant style bridge. Gives you a breather without losing it's pace. Bellas has a Yngwie style solo, and then the song resumes with the main riff, along with a fantastic groove by Aynsley Dunbar.
And as nice as the soloing is, especially underneath the chorus as the song is closing out, this song runs on some fantastic rhythm guitar.

When I heard Vinnie Moore joined UFO, I immedeately thought of this song and started drooling.

That riff at the start of this one fucking rips.  I like your Covenant comparison with the pre chorus, and it's indeed very good, very unique but powerful and strong.

I have to buy a copy of this album.  Getting more listening to WOW, Covenant and Sharks, this is a perfect companion album it seems just with Bellas.  Mate, you nailed it with the Yngwie style solo, spot on.  Interesting you classed this in a UFO countdown but I have no problem with that at all.

29 Stranger In Town  (The Visitor)

I rate The Visitor as my favorite Vinnie Era album. Stranger In Town closes it out in grand fashion.
It riffs and rocks pretty hard with more off the wall lyrics by Phil. But it's the "chorus" that slays. The "Everybody's at the party" part. That gives me goosebumps when I hear it. And Paul Raymond's excellence totally makes that section glow. And to Kadestamp a part, at 1:55-2:16, Paul and Vinnie play this glorious section before the solo.

The solo is great. After a brief setup the money shot comes at 2:30 (with a nice total band widdle down in the seconds before).
This is actually one of my favorite Vinnie solos. And it blends quite smoothly with the return of that great chorus.
And I'd be remiss to mention just how perfect Andy's ride cymbal sounds during the chorus. What a nice blend of sounds.

And then the last 30 seconds of this song..  :hefdaddy

BTW, without looking, does anyone know WTF a gibbet is? At first I thought it was a Mogg made up word.  :lol I had to look it up.

This one slipped by me originally.  I mean, I always liked this one back in the day but the two I had on my list always were the standouts for me. Going with the thread, this one jumped out indeed.  that chorus got me right away, That section from 1:55 is right up my alley Tim, definitely my style.  And yeah, Parker underneath is fantastic. 

Vinnie's tone is strong on the solo here, love that little lick at 2:33, so smooth.

I had to look up gibbet too, brutal!

28 Call My Name/All Over You  (Making Contact)

Sure Blinded/Diesel is a great combo, but in the back half of the album, I love the back to back of Call My Name and All Over You.

Someone mentioned in the thread that Phil writes a lot of songs about hookers and strippers. Well, he does! And here's two of 'em.

I love Call My Name. It is such a catchy song and gets me head bobbing everytime.

Considering it's a song about a prostitute, I find Neil's "church wedding" intro quite interesting.

Again, Phil paints a vivid story.."I met you, watching the cars go by."
The prechorus is fantastic ending with a double flam that I cannot help but air drum to.
In the second verse, Paul starts tastefully chiming in between lines. He sounds nice here. And speaking of nice, his solo is melodic and beautiful. Perfect, really. It's one of my favorites from him.
The song ends with a wonderful outro by Paul.

And then Call My Name's evil twin comes calling with All Over You. Call My Name speaks of love where All Over You takes a turn for the wicked.

This song sports a thumping bass line in the verse. I assume it's Neil, since he wrote the song, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, Phil weaves another interesting tale.

"Well, you think you're the queen of Texas
Who you foolin' now?"

This has another great Chapman solo and I love the switch at 2:14, and then it goes to another level briefly at 2:22.

The final verse crushes it.

"Well I bet your mama doesn't know
What her baby's into now
And you know how much she can cost
When you pay by the hour
And I guess that you can fool yourself
Oh, you do most of the time
But in whose bed do you sleep tonight
Oh, babe, that's the bottom line"

Interesting you put these together.  Is this counted as cheating?  I'll let you off.  ;D  Nah seriously, this wasn't one of my favs from the album, but it's very catchy and it gets stuck in your head.  It's placed well in the album too.  I verses have such an old 60's vibe to them.  It's cool, I dig it.

As I said before All Over You just missed out.  This is a cracking song.  Love the whole vibe of this one when it gets going.  nice subtle notes from Chapman in intro too.  I love the smooth groove of this one, and I love the simple, melodic chorus.

Chapman is great as you say on this one.  That lick at 2:25 is so interesting.  Chapman shreds at the end too.  I love what he does at 4:06. 

Listening to both these songs, I can kind of see why you lumped them together.

Michael Schenker

30 Bittersweet  (Tales Of Rock N Roll)

Tales Of Rock n Roll is an interesting album, made up of some catchy quick hitters than seemingly run together. It's filled with great moments, but Bitterweet is the one that I find to be totally addicting.

It starts out with a great driving pace. I happen to love Jari's vocal on this. There's something endearing about it.
Great intro by Michael, and then he hits this tone for the verses, I don't even know how to descibe it. But it's wild.

I love the solid drumming from Jeff Martin.

The passage at :52 has such a nice feel.That same passage is repeated at 2:35 after a short but sweet solo, but that time, Michael is totally working his magic underneath.

I dig this album.  Loved going through the thread and knowing I had this in my collection.  Was blown away truthfully, it's so unique.  I really liked the vocals right away too.  I can't say this one was a highlight for me, but again placed nicely in the album and has a great groove.  I love at 2:18 when Michael explodes into that solo, nice feel.  And yeah, that repeated part at 2:35 is excellent actually a great reprise.

29 Cry For The Nations  (Michael Schenker Group)

Cry For The Nations is a song that has always made me feel good. I fell in love with it on the One Night At Budokan album.

Cozy Powell helps to fill the song out, as I have always found the original studio version somewhat thin, a complaint I have about the entire first album.

There's nothing remarkable about the verse or the chorus, but it is just enjoyable. And the 1:15 solo is fantastic.  I am always happy when Michael takes an extra measure or two for his solo.

The Studio outro is nice enough, but the Budokan outro is where it's at. The band, Powell, Glen, and of course Paul Raymond is tight, and that outro is enhanced by that.

I agree, I didn't really pick up on this song from the album.  I found it pretty bland and honestly, not very interesting.  I really started enjoying it from the live version on the first Temple of Rock DVD.  That version really made me like it more.  As you say, the studio version is thin but this version with Doogie is very strong.  I'll have to relisten to the Budokan version. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: February 02, 2021, 05:40:16 AM »
Gibbet? It's the cock-ring I'm going to string you two up by if you don't broaden your vocabularies. It's just another word for gallows, FCOL.

Yeah, and other than Cry for the Nation, I'm not feeling this batch. Next!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2624 on: February 02, 2021, 05:43:34 AM »
I had never heard of a gibbet. Is that what they called it in the old days, Pods? ;D

Methinks you'll like Kade's list more than mine.