Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142802 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Wild....
« Reply #2520 on: January 24, 2021, 07:41:18 PM »
Is the Rockpalast in your writeup?  (Sorry to be lazy, but we're 72 pages in now...)

YES!

The Wild The Willing And The Innocent

The Wild The Willing And The Innocent (1981)

Released January 6, 1981

1. Chains Chains
2. Long Gone
3. The Wild The Willing And The Innocent
4. It's Killing Me
5. Makin' Moves
6. Lonely Heart
7. Couldn't Get It Right
8. Profession Of Violence

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Paul Chapman-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Neil Carter-Keyboards/Sax

John Sloman (uncredited)-Keyboards

The No Place To Run tour would end in May 1980. Shortly after Paul Raymond was let go. Still some mystery as to if he was fired or he quit. Paul Raymond says he didn't see a future in with band and wanted to join Cozy Powell in Michael Schenker's band. Pete Way mentions that he was fired, by either Phil or their manager. Paul Raymond also says that the biggest misconception about him was that he was the quiet one. That is backed up by Pate Way as he says that Paul could be quite outspoken.

At any rate, the band would get right to work on their next album. It was put together that summer with Paul Chapman's ex Lone Star band mate John Sloman playing keyboards.

Neil Carter would join the band shortly before the Reading '80 show. The band would put the finishing touches on The Wild The Willing And The Innocent with Neil adding Sax on Lonely Hearts, and also some backing vocals. The band would tour Europe in the fall of 1980 featuring the new material. Shortly after the album was released UFO would tour the states in 1981.

Lonely Heart perforn=med on the BBC..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDikDqS0pEc

Paul Chapman's Lone Star work would show its head again, this time the track being Fool's Gold, which was reworked as Makin' Moves..
https://youtu.be/LQQC53M0EfI?t=2

Here is a great show from the Fall of 1980.
Here is the full Rockpalast show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-10GeqecPk&list=PLzD5eb0xSuIVr93z17RhSbc15iCZZCFGg&index=3&t=1s
Somewhere after Mystery Train it goes out of synch.

Here is an abridged version with better quality. I have it queued up at Rock Bottom.
https://youtu.be/G8M2J2rHp_g?t=1558

On a personal note, this is a Top 3 UFO album for me. I freaking love this album. This album has a consistency across the board. Great tunes.
Long Gone is an all time UFO track.
And Profession Of Violence is simply breathtaking, especially Paul's solo at the end. Chilling.

It's available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockpalast-Hardrock-Legends-Vol-1/dp/B015DIF8IM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=UFO+rockpalast&qid=1611542562&s=music&sr=1-1

I also have it on DVD as well. It's a great show just before the release of WWI. Paul Chapman is fantastic on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Wolfking Top 30
« Reply #2521 on: January 24, 2021, 08:11:29 PM »
Thank you!  That's next. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2522 on: January 24, 2021, 08:12:53 PM »
Ka-ching! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: January 24, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
 :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: January 26, 2021, 02:20:08 PM »
6. Let it Roll (Force It)

Another storming opener makes it high on the list.  This one absolutely slays.  That riffing and groove is just so good.  This is one I actually haven't tried to play and I really should.  The first thing I notice is the constant key changes through the song, gives it great colour throughout.  That change at 1:24 is so brutal, love Schenker's melody there.  I'll add that fucking awesome off time cowbell from Parker during the same section, so fucking good.  Phil sounds different on this song too.  Seems a bit higher than normal however the verses I think are in E.  He has a cool tone though and almost metal like.

The breakdown is kind of unexpected the way the song was going but works so well Schenker on fire here with a lot of soulful playing.  Again, I love the extra long instrumental section.  Over a minute and a half for a four minute song, beautiful.  That subtle half step down key change at 3:03 is so classy.  Finishes pretty quickly and again, this is a song that has tremendous replay value and the endless live versions make it always fun to discover something new from it or a slightly different take.

5. On With the Action (No Heavy Petting)

This song was easily the highlight for me when running through No Heavy Petting.  A seemingly underrated track and not sure why.  I knew right away from the style this would be up there on a best of list at the end.  Heavy, moody, dark and UFO's more metal side with a strong bluesy influence.  First off, the lyrics are quite good and I can dig the subject matter.  Phil sounds great and I even quite like what he was going for in the chorus.  It's funny, but I got used to it.  I guess Phil didn't need to sing the chorus like that to get the point and mood across.  He's a good enough singer and lyric writer without having to do that.  The one line I love is "But the ministers staring with a bible in his hand, is this God's children, he didn't understand."  That's amazing.

Schenker simply destroys this track.  D minor this one, so much fun to jam to.  He adds quite a bit of D harmonic minor in there too to give it that more metal edge, but the bluesy groove accommodates his usual amazing blues licks.  Again, there's lots of soloing going on which is certainly up my alley and the build of the main solo is something to behold.  That change at 3:33 is so epic.  The main solo of a whole minute just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  I kind of like how quickly it fades at the end of the song after that long middle solo.  I don't know, like Phil's got nothing else to add, a quick chorus and fade into more soloing, very cool.  No hesitation this one making my top 5.

30. The Writer
29. Long Gone
28. Wonderland
27. Diesel in the Dust
26. I'm A Loser
25. Hunger in the Night
24. Darker Days
23. Can't Buy A Thrill
22. Meanstreets
21. This Kids/Between the Walls
20. Cherry
19. Born to Lose
18. Stop Breaking Down
17. A Self Made Man
16. Profession of Violence
15. One More For the Rodeo
14. Serenity
13. Too Much of Nothing
12. Love to Love
11. Natural Thing
10. Only You Can Rock Me
9. Blinded By A Lie
8. Unraveled
7. You and Me
6. Let It Roll
5. On With the Action

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2525 on: January 26, 2021, 02:41:06 PM »
What's with the introduction to "Only You Can Rock Me" in Louisville?  :)

I think Phil Mogg writes about strippers and hookers a LOT.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: January 26, 2021, 04:48:21 PM »

:tup :tup :tup

Yes! For years, NHP was simply "the album with On With the Action" for me. Great song, and way underrated in their catalog...except by those of us who truly recognize genius.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2527 on: January 26, 2021, 05:27:30 PM »

:tup :tup :tup

Yes! For years, NHP was simply "the album with On With the Action" for me. Great song, and way underrated in their catalog...except by those of us who truly recognize genius.  :lol

:metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2528 on: January 26, 2021, 05:46:41 PM »
6. Let it Roll (Force It)

Another storming opener makes it high on the list.  This one absolutely slays.  That riffing and groove is just so good.  This is one I actually haven't tried to play and I really should.  The first thing I notice is the constant key changes through the song, gives it great colour throughout.  That change at 1:24 is so brutal, love Schenker's melody there.  I'll add that fucking awesome off time cowbell from Parker during the same section, so fucking good.  Phil sounds different on this song too.  Seems a bit higher than normal however the verses I think are in E.  He has a cool tone though and almost metal like.

The breakdown is kind of unexpected the way the song was going but works so well Schenker on fire here with a lot of soulful playing.  Again, I love the extra long instrumental section.  Over a minute and a half for a four minute song, beautiful.  That subtle half step down key change at 3:03 is so classy.  Finishes pretty quickly and again, this is a song that has tremendous replay value and the endless live versions make it always fun to discover something new from it or a slightly different take.

Great song all the way around. The mid section is what makes it totally special. I could listen to that part all day long. And you're right about the many live versions. Great to hear them all. This song is featured quite a bit in the Vinnie Era as well.

This song was easily the highlight for me when running through No Heavy Petting.  A seemingly underrated track and not sure why.  I knew right away from the style this would be up there on a best of list at the end.  Heavy, moody, dark and UFO's more metal side with a strong bluesy influence.  First off, the lyrics are quite good and I can dig the subject matter.  Phil sounds great and I even quite like what he was going for in the chorus.  It's funny, but I got used to it.  I guess Phil didn't need to sing the chorus like that to get the point and mood across.  He's a good enough singer and lyric writer without having to do that.  The one line I love is "But the ministers staring with a bible in his hand, is this God's children, he didn't understand."  That's amazing.

Schenker simply destroys this track.  D minor this one, so much fun to jam to.  He adds quite a bit of D harmonic minor in there too to give it that more metal edge, but the bluesy groove accommodates his usual amazing blues licks.  Again, there's lots of soloing going on which is certainly up my alley and the build of the main solo is something to behold.  That change at 3:33 is so epic.  The main solo of a whole minute just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  I kind of like how quickly it fades at the end of the song after that long middle solo.  I don't know, like Phil's got nothing else to add, a quick chorus and fade into more soloing, very cool.  No hesitation this one making my top 5.

The song starts off with a 30 second guitar solo! :lol :metal

Great tune. Great lyric. That line about the minister is an epic line.  Phil Mogg wrote some of the coolest lyrics ever. And he has continued that well into the Vinnie Era.

We've talked about this. No Heavy Petting is my favorite UFO studio album. It's my favorite Schenker album with the band, and I also love how Phil sounds on this. I realize they added Danny Peyronel, but he was really good. I know there's a couple of mellow tunes on this, but Danny really sets a great mood on Martian Landscape and Belladonna.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: January 26, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »
NHP really grew on me personally.  It would probably be my second fav Schenker album after Obsession........and WOW but you know what I mean.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2530 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:52 AM »
I will post this in another topic here in DTF anyway, but here's my interview with Michael Schenker about his upcoming solo album:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-schenker-michael/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: January 27, 2021, 11:47:01 AM »
Last three mornings, I've woken up with the melody to "Cherry" in my head.   Is that a bad sign? 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: January 27, 2021, 12:32:04 PM »
Last three mornings, I've woken up with the melody to "Cherry" in my head.   Is that a bad sign?

No, it's a great song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2533 on: January 27, 2021, 12:32:49 PM »
I will post this in another topic here in DTF anyway, but here's my interview with Michael Schenker about his upcoming solo album:

Awesome mate.  Look forward to checking this out.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2534 on: January 27, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »

Awesome mate.  Look forward to checking this out.

It's more like a Schenker monologue that anything else, but you'll enjoy it. He wouldn't stop talking!!!! I had 20 questions, and was only able to ask 4, because the guy just wouldn't stop!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: January 27, 2021, 02:13:38 PM »
 :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2536 on: January 27, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »
 :rollin :rollin totally true! This way I could have interviewed Schencker myself! No ofense, Rodrigo! :rollin
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2538 on: January 27, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
Bravewords picked it up!
https://bravewords.com/news/michael-schenker-the-scorpions-never-knew-how-to-write-songs-until-i-joined-them-when-i-was-15-years-old

I'll listen tonight. Looking forward to it.

Schenker is a walking clickbait. I'm expecting Blabbermouth to pick it up too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2539 on: January 27, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »
The man is a gift! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2540 on: January 27, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
Question 1:
16 minute answer..

"Even Rudolph my brother still can't play it" :lol

Question 2:
9 minute answer..

"I discovered the infinite inner spring infinite creativity"
"I don't remember your original question." :lol

Question 3:
3 minute answer..

"It would've killed the Budokan"

Question 4:
14 minute answer..

"With so little talent, he (Rudolph) achieved so much." :rollin

This has been his standard interview fodder for this album cycle. But he never passes up a chance to throw Rudolph under the bus. :lol

Like I said before, that man is a gift. Everybody should know who he is.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:30:41 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: January 27, 2021, 07:38:52 PM »
Bravewords picked it up!
https://bravewords.com/news/michael-schenker-the-scorpions-never-knew-how-to-write-songs-until-i-joined-them-when-i-was-15-years-old

I'll listen tonight. Looking forward to it.

Schenker is a walking clickbait. I'm expecting Blabbermouth to pick it up too.

He gets fucking roasted in the comments on Blabbermouth each time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: January 27, 2021, 07:44:22 PM »
Question 1:
16 minute answer..

Question 2:
9 minute answer..

Question 3:
3 minute answer..

Question 4:
14 minute answer..

This has been his standard interview fodder for this album cycle. But he never passes up a chance to throw Rudolph under the bus. :lol

:rollin  This guy is off the charts.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2543 on: January 27, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »
I'm really liking Sail The Darkness. I can do without Ronnie's "There is no return" at the beginning, but when he lets the song come to him, he's good. He sounds like a raspier Robin McAuley on this tune.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2544 on: January 27, 2021, 08:32:43 PM »
Question 1:
16 minute answer..

Question 2:
9 minute answer..

Question 3:
3 minute answer..

Question 4:
14 minute answer..

Great breakdown of the interview, man. You summed it up quite well...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2545 on: January 27, 2021, 08:35:04 PM »
I couldn't wait to hear it. You posted it this morning when I was at work. I love hearing him talk, even though he can be a bit repetitive. But he is a total trip.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2546 on: January 27, 2021, 09:03:06 PM »
So, in the summer of 2019, the TACs vacationed in San Diego. We visited the Museum Of Making Music. It's funded by NAAM, and is a really cool place.

Anyway, in the small gift shop, there was a book about guitars. I didn't buy it, but I captured the three best pages. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: January 27, 2021, 11:33:15 PM »
I'm not much of a flying V guy, but I love that middle one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2548 on: January 28, 2021, 05:01:10 AM »
Had Save Your Prayers in the car today.  Fuck I love this album.  Perfect melodic rock.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2549 on: January 28, 2021, 05:47:48 AM »
Danny Vaughn is incredible on it. One of my top vocals on any album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: January 28, 2021, 05:52:53 AM »
The Frontiers Factory should spin it in one of their board meetings to hear how it's done.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: January 28, 2021, 05:53:16 AM »
Chapman rips on it too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2552 on: January 28, 2021, 07:10:22 AM »
That's all the arm twisting that I need. I grabbed it for the ride today.

Have 3 new albums arriving tomorrow so they'll be dominating my rides for the next couple of weeks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2553 on: January 28, 2021, 09:28:18 AM »
For anyone that has been watching this thread from here in the US and has been on the fence about the elusive Strangers box set, Laser CD just got it in stock and wants only $45 for it.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/strangers-night-8cd-box-set
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: January 28, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »
For anyone that has been watching this thread from here in the US and has been on the fence about the elusive Strangers box set, Laser CD just got it in stock and wants only $45 for it.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/strangers-night-8cd-box-set

That's a steal; I haven't stuck with a new release like this in a LONG LONG time.