Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147919 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Wolfking Top 30
« Reply #2485 on: January 20, 2021, 05:32:44 PM »
And that restrained mid section shows off those sensibilities perfectly.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2486 on: January 20, 2021, 10:38:15 PM »
Revisiting Sharks for the heck of it and, I'm enjoying it a bit more than the first time around. Sea Of Faith is just an awesome track. I know I called that out in my initial review but I had forgotten just how good that is. Those contrasting riffs over each other with Dunbar's groove. Such a tasty track. I can get this from Amazon for $18 new. Seriously thinking about it. At this point, why not? Would complete my Schenker UFO collection.

Edit: ......and.......... I just bought it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:00:51 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2487 on: January 21, 2021, 04:10:49 AM »
Revisiting Sharks for the heck of it and, I'm enjoying it a bit more than the first time around. Sea Of Faith is just an awesome track. I know I called that out in my initial review but I had forgotten just how good that is. Those contrasting riffs over each other with Dunbar's groove. Such a tasty track. I can get this from Amazon for $18 new. Seriously thinking about it. At this point, why not? Would complete my Schenker UFO collection.

Edit: ......and.......... I just bought it.

I liked it right away.  I still don't get the negativity towards the album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2488 on: January 21, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »
My copy of Walk On Water arrived today. Sooner than expected. Very happy to finally have this. Replaced the jewel case with a new one and it looks wonderful!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2489 on: January 21, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
This UFO is kicking my ASS.   I thought Chicago was good, then Kenosha beat it's ass, and now Youngstown is saying "whoa, Nelly! What about me!"

Phil Mogg is on FIRE!!!!   Youngstown is the fourth consecutive night, and yet from about "Love To Love" through the end, he just sounds better and better on every track.  I'm not the hugest fan of "Lights Out", but this version is on another level.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2490 on: January 21, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »
This UFO is kicking my ASS.   I thought Chicago was good, then Kenosha beat it's ass, and now Youngstown is saying "whoa, Nelly! What about me!"

Phil Mogg is on FIRE!!!!   Youngstown is the fourth consecutive night, and yet from about "Love To Love" through the end, he just sounds better and better on every track.  I'm not the hugest fan of "Lights Out", but this version is on another level.

Quite a few of these live versions really made me appreciate these songs even more.  They simply have a new life live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: January 21, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »

Quite a few of these live versions really made me appreciate these songs even more.  They simply have a new life live.

That's "Cherry" for me.  It was an okay, if odd tune, but it really takes on a whole different vibe live.  Once I make it through the set once, I'm going to rip to my harddrive so I can start comparing different versions.  I can't tell for certain, but it just feels like each of these songs is different enough night after night to make this worthwhile.

Now I want the Maiden "Long Beach" box set....   :) :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: January 21, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
Cherry and I'm A Loser for me.  Lights Out too really.

That Maiden box is a wet dream alright.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: January 21, 2021, 04:52:04 PM »
Michael is particularly blistering on the Kenosha set. He was ON that night.

He destroys Love to Love.

I love the inclusion of Ain't No Baby also.  Strange they recorded Mary and Kids in the studio when they had two perfectly good songs in Baby and Action that could have easily filled those spots.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2494 on: January 21, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »

I love the inclusion of Ain't No Baby also.  Strange they recorded Mary and Kids in the studio when they had two perfectly good songs in Baby and Action that could have easily filled those spots.

And remember, they also left off Hot n Ready, Pack It Up, and Chery as well.

I would love to ask Ron Nevison about that.

And in On With The Action, Phil sings "You can't cut a Nevison" or something like that. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: January 21, 2021, 05:35:36 PM »

And remember, they also left off Hot n Ready, Pack It Up, and Chery as well.

I would love to ask Ron Nevison about that.

And in On With The Action, Phil sings "You can't cut a Nevison" or something like that. :lol

True, I forget Cherry and Hot n Ready were left off as I've always had the reissue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2496 on: January 21, 2021, 06:12:38 PM »

:metal

I don't even know what to say. This is freaking an amazing set. Think about what this is. Amazing.

And you mention Youngstown being the 4th night in a row. What amazing is that most of the original Strangers is from Louisville, and that's the 6th straight night. Scratch that...the 7th straight night (they played the 12th in DC)!

Schenker would only play 6 more shows after that..

Louisville is great, but that Kenosha set, for being in an out of the way place, is incredible. Not may favorite setlist in the set, but the energy, particularly Schenker's, is off the charts.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2497 on: January 21, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
Only You Can Rock Me from Louisville..

"I've had enough now of Nevison's stuff now"

And the intro to On With The Action  :lol

Busting balls..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: January 21, 2021, 06:52:28 PM »
Yeah it's a great package.  I have the Kenosha set in the car currently.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: January 22, 2021, 05:21:03 AM »

:metal

I don't even know what to say. This is freaking an amazing set. Think about what this is. Amazing.

And you mention Youngstown being the 4th night in a row. What amazing is that most of the original Strangers is from Louisville, and that's the 6th straight night. Scratch that...the 7th straight night (they played the 12th in DC)!

Schenker would only play 6 more shows after that..

Louisville is great, but that Kenosha set, for being in an out of the way place, is incredible. Not may favorite setlist in the set, but the energy, particularly Schenker's, is off the charts.

That's another good point; no offense to my midwestern brothers, but this is not exactly the LA Forum or Madison Square Garden, and yet they were delivering every single night. 

There's a funny quote in the liner notes too, about Nevison.  Schenker calls him "obnoxious".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: January 22, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Three more;

12. Love to Love (Lights Out)

This was one of the few songs I did know and really like from old UFO before the inception of this thread.  I won't lie, Vinnie's version is what made me enjoy it though and Schenker's version sounded funny to me at first when I rediscovered the album.  Neverthless, we know my appreciation of Schenker now and it's great having different versions. I also really loved Paul Chapman's version of this song.  That Rockpalast version is excellent.

This song is interesting with its structure.  It goes through a variety of moods and atmospheres taking many twists and turns and is really a song of epic proportions.  The heavy intro is excellent but the soft, happy yet somehow melancholic verses just shine and so does Phil.  That melody from Schenker at 3:37 is one of his best melodies, that rips your heart out.  I love how Vinnie plays this too, you can tell he loves this part and plays it true and with so much emotion.  Just a brilliant melody.  All E minor too, nothing tricky going on musically here at all.  The end solo erupts with Schenker adding his own touch with a few off notes in there but of course he makes them work.  The live versions are where its at and I'll mention again the Kenosha version, that one is amazing.  Classic, brilliant song.

11.  Natural Thing (No Heavy Petting)

What an opener this is and what a hard rock song.  That riff is so damn simple but so damn good.  The energy in this one is top notch.  This is simple but the transitions through the verses then hitting the chorus works so well.  There's something about the chorus I just love.  I get that strong Pearl Jam vibe from the chorus, well the whole song really.  That chorus though is so dirty, loves Phils delivery.  And Schenker's blues rock 'n' roll riff underneath is so damn cool, works so well in contrast with the vocals.  The solo is short and simple and then I'll mention Paul's rocking old school piano under there too.  Just a great mix of styles and something normally for me that wouldn't rate that high but this one is just brilliant.

10. Only You Can Rock Me (Obsession)

Same vein as Natural Thing this one, but I'd take this one just over it.  Again, we here 12 bar blues type riffing but works in this hard rock style so well.  The groove is great here and sets a great tone for the album.  That chorus though, holy shit that chorus gets me.  It's so fucking catchy and Schenker's slightly altered even harmonized melody underneath is so damn addictive.  I can't explain how fucking brilliant that is.  That's the song right there.

The next thing I love is at 1:46 where Phil sings 'again' and it changes key, that's also just brilliant songwriting.  Schenker's anthem type solo is interesting and a great change but works so well.  The key change at the end mimicking Phil's key change is great stuff too.  That chorus again sounds even better the second time around at the end.  This song doesn't get old.

30. The Writer
29. Long Gone
28. Wonderland
27. Diesel in the Dust
26. I'm A Loser
25. Hunger in the Night
24. Darker Days
23. Can't Buy A Thrill
22. Meanstreets
21. This Kids/Between the Walls
20. Cherry
19. Born to Lose
18. Stop Breaking Down
17. A Self Made Man
16. Profession of Violence
15. One More For the Rodeo
14. Serenity
13. Too Much of Nothing
12. Love to Love
11. Natural Thing
10. Only You Can Rock Me

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2501 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:41 PM »
I ordered these two books last night:

They were $20 each on Amazon. It was a bitch trying to figure out my 15% upcharge! :lol

I already have this, and referenced it many times during this thread:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2502 on: January 23, 2021, 07:57:00 AM »

This was one of the few songs I did know and really like from old UFO before the inception of this thread.  I won't lie, Vinnie's version is what made me enjoy it though and Schenker's version sounded funny to me at first when I rediscovered the album.  Neverthless, we know my appreciation of Schenker now and it's great having different versions. I also really loved Paul Chapman's version of this song.  That Rockpalast version is excellent.

This song is interesting with its structure.  It goes through a variety of moods and atmospheres taking many twists and turns and is really a song of epic proportions.  The heavy intro is excellent but the soft, happy yet somehow melancholic verses just shine and so does Phil.  That melody from Schenker at 3:37 is one of his best melodies, that rips your heart out.  I love how Vinnie plays this too, you can tell he loves this part and plays it true and with so much emotion.  Just a brilliant melody.  All E minor too, nothing tricky going on musically here at all.  The end solo erupts with Schenker adding his own touch with a few off notes in there but of course he makes them work.  The live versions are where its at and I'll mention again the Kenosha version, that one is amazing.  Classic, brilliant song.

This is a great song for sure and worthy of a top spot in any UFO countdown. Such a classic, and so much better than many of the so called "classic rock" hits of the late seventies that the radio crammed down our throat. Schenker's 78 version is phenomenal.

I too, enjoy Vinnie's versions of this.

11.  Natural Thing (No Heavy Petting)

What an opener this is and what a hard rock song.  That riff is so damn simple but so damn good.  The energy in this one is top notch.  This is simple but the transitions through the verses then hitting the chorus works so well.  There's something about the chorus I just love.  I get that strong Pearl Jam vibe from the chorus, well the whole song really.  That chorus though is so dirty, loves Phils delivery.  And Schenker's blues rock 'n' roll riff underneath is so damn cool, works so well in contrast with the vocals.  The solo is short and simple and then I'll mention Paul's rocking old school piano under there too.  Just a great mix of styles and something normally for me that wouldn't rate that high but this one is just brilliant.

I ain't gonna lie....probably in my Top 10 of least favorites of the classic Schenker Era..

Quote from: wolfking link=topic=55669.msg2743159#msg2743159 date=1611353400

[b
10. Only You Can Rock Me (Obsession)[/b]

Same vein as Natural Thing this one, but I'd take this one just over it.  Again, we here 12 bar blues type riffing but works in this hard rock style so well.  The groove is great here and sets a great tone for the album.  That chorus though, holy shit that chorus gets me.  It's so fucking catchy and Schenker's slightly altered even harmonized melody underneath is so damn addictive.  I can't explain how fucking brilliant that is.  That's the song right there.

The next thing I love is at 1:46 where Phil sings 'again' and it changes key, that's also just brilliant songwriting.  Schenker's anthem type solo is interesting and a great change but works so well.  The key change at the end mimicking Phil's key change is great stuff too.  That chorus again sounds even better the second time around at the end.  This song doesn't get old.

Another track that when I hear them introduce it, I think "no not again". But then somehow in the middle of it, I'm totally loving it. This song is like a tootsie pop, a hard outer shell with a tootsie roll in the middle.

Still, you have this song at least 40 spots higher than I would..

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2503 on: January 23, 2021, 01:48:02 PM »
I shouldn't say this because every time I think I am done buying things from this thread, more ends up coming.

Was doing my finances today (still call it balancing the checkbook, because I'm old) and thought I should do a deep dive into what this thread cost me. I was actually looking at my cost breakdown for last year in my money app and saw that I dropped $2900 in physical releases and another $320 in digital (mainly Bandcamp and HD Tracks). I looked at past years and didn't hit $1000 total for each year. Wow, I went crazy.

Anyway, the breakdown for this thread was as follows:

31 releases - 25 physical (33 total CD's and 2 bonus DVD's), 6 digital
$329.20 spent
$49.38 - Tim's 15%  :lol

Roughly 10% of my music spending for 2020 was just UFO and its various branches.

Wow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2504 on: January 23, 2021, 06:37:54 PM »
$329 is only 10%??

So you spent $3200 on music this year??

:hefdaddy

I also really loved Paul Chapman's version of this song.  That Rockpalast version is excellent.

Reading this comment this morning made me grab the Rockpalast CD for my ride to work.

Chapman does a great job on Love To Love. Those single notes at the end of the solo are really strong and impactful.

And Lettin' Go  :metal

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2505 on: January 23, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
$329 is only 10%??

So you spent $3200 on music this year??

:hefdaddy

Yeah, like I mentioned in the post, I went crazy in 2020. Based on years before that, I never topped $1000. 2020 ran me just over $3200. Blame it on the pandemic. Honestly, not sure what the true cause was. Just went nuts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2506 on: January 23, 2021, 08:43:53 PM »
My wife would kill me! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: January 24, 2021, 03:21:18 AM »
I would hate to think what my collection has cost me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: January 24, 2021, 03:21:46 AM »
Tim, those books look killer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2509 on: January 24, 2021, 03:26:54 AM »
Tim, I totally appreciate your thoughts.  I guess, I'm discovering most of these for the first time, so they are sitting different with me at the moment compared to yourself who has known them for years.  They are new to me.  Maybe it's Strangers again that made me get drawn to them more, who knows.  That Natural Thing comment is wild.  Again, shows the strength of the band I guess. 

Watching Schenkers Madrid DVD, I love the addition of Natural Thing and Only You Can Rock Me.  Confirms their place in my list.  The next update will have you all throwing eggs at me however.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2510 on: January 24, 2021, 03:45:35 AM »
9. Blinded By A Lie (Making Contact)

Loved this one right away.  I LOVED the 80's vibe right away and being slightly let down from the albums before it, this was much more like it.  Again, Neil Carter's keyboards in that intro part are just so moody and perfect.  The verse is pretty comical and pure 80's but that chorus is so damn catchy.  I love the second time around that Chapman mimics Neil's keyboard line in there, really really nice touch.

I can see UFO purists hating this at the time and fair enough but I really enjoy this album and song.  I think this tune is just very well written.  The solo section kicks things up a notch.  It's nice to hear something really heavy and a nice gallop.  Great tone from Chapman and his solo almost floats over the backing there in places, especially at the start.  Epic key change which is most welcome and builds the heavy vibe even more.  You sense that chorus coming back in and it doesn't disappoint.  Just a really damn catchy tune.  Phil doesn't do much here but he doesn't need to, it's a great band song, everyone adds their part.  Great kick off to the album also.

8. Unraveled (Covenant)

This one crept up on me a little but grew like an absolute monster.  Wasn't impressed with Covenant at first but this song also pricked my ears.  That opinion has changed and this song has stormed into the top 10.  Obsession like riffing at the start, almost Natural Thing like.  Great groove here too.  I love the verses and Dunbar's drum work is excellent.  The change into the chorus is beautiful and it's so simple and melodic.  I love the backups, it works really well.  What I especially love is the backing keeps saying 'unraveled,' even on the second time around where Phil says 'unstable.'  That's a nice touch.  The up in tempo is too good also.

Phil sounds quite tough and strong on this one, he sings it with a lot of conviction.  Schenker's solo is most welcome too and he rips.  Nothing fancy or long but he's really in sync here.  I fucking love that lick at 3:15, and that bend at 3:18 is absolutely incredible.  Subtle but melodic.  His outro soloing is fucking nuts too.  I wish it didn't fade out so quick.  Just an absolute stormer of a song, love it.  Underrated.

7. You and Me (Making Contact)

I mentioned how much I liked this one when we got to this album and that sentiment hasn't changed.  This is one amazing track to me.  Something about it is so haunting but calming at the same time.  I love the lyrics, and Phil portrays a desperate, broken man pleading to his love to have faith.  This time the music seems to showcase the depressive, melancholic subject matter.  The verses seem to represent hope but the chorus seems to be unsure, there's hope but the realization that hope is fading and almost gone.

The middle section is almost like that door on the story is closing shut or thereabouts.  Neil Carter on this track is incredible.  His E/D/C arpeggios at 1:55 are just amazing and Chapman fucking cries here.  His solo is the dude crying like his woman is giving up on him,  It's fucking awesome.  That note that he bends at 2:18 well before the start of the bar gives that desperation from the protagonist.  The song finishes awkwardly like it could have gone either way.  I just love this song, Phil is incredible here.  I know not many will agree but something about this song just touches me.

30. The Writer
29. Long Gone
28. Wonderland
27. Diesel in the Dust
26. I'm A Loser
25. Hunger in the Night
24. Darker Days
23. Can't Buy A Thrill
22. Meanstreets
21. This Kids/Between the Walls
20. Cherry
19. Born to Lose
18. Stop Breaking Down
17. A Self Made Man
16. Profession of Violence
15. One More For the Rodeo
14. Serenity
13. Too Much of Nothing
12. Love to Love
11. Natural Thing
10. Only You Can Rock Me
9. Blinded By A Lie
8. Unraveled
7. You and Me

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2511 on: January 24, 2021, 06:00:02 AM »
10. Only You Can Rock Me (Obsession)
...  That chorus though, holy shit that chorus gets me.  It's so fucking catchy and Schenker's slightly altered even harmonized melody underneath is so damn addictive.  I can't explain how fucking brilliant that is...

I can. It's FUCKING brilliant!

We can't wait from day to day
'Cause we've got something to say
We are here and there's no end
We just keep coming again

I've been waiting for some other band, any other band, how about UFO maybe, to find a way to do something similar. The potential for this idea is off the charts, IMO.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2512 on: January 24, 2021, 12:46:51 PM »
Haha, I knew you'd appreciate that pick.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: January 24, 2021, 03:16:22 PM »

This is a great song for sure and worthy of a top spot in any UFO countdown. Such a classic, and so much better than many of the so called "classic rock" hits of the late seventies that the radio crammed down our throat. Schenker's 78 version is phenomenal.

I still can't believe I didn't hear this (knowingly) until over 30 years after it was first released.   It's a top 5 UFO song for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2514 on: January 24, 2021, 03:58:21 PM »
Tim, I totally appreciate your thoughts.  I guess, I'm discovering most of these for the first time, so they are sitting different with me at the moment compared to yourself who has known them for years.  They are new to me.  Maybe it's Strangers again that made me get drawn to them more, who knows.  That Natural Thing comment is wild.  Again, shows the strength of the band I guess. 

Watching Schenkers Madrid DVD, I love the addition of Natural Thing and Only You Can Rock Me.  Confirms their place in my list.  The next update will have you all throwing eggs at me however.

Ha! No eggs!

It's great seeing your list unfold with a fresh set of ears. I can totally dig it. Lots of surprises.

9. Blinded By A Lie (Making Contact)

Loved this one right away.  I LOVED the 80's vibe right away and being slightly let down from the albums before it, this was much more like it.  Again, Neil Carter's keyboards in that intro part are just so moody and perfect.  The verse is pretty comical and pure 80's but that chorus is so damn catchy.  I love the second time around that Chapman mimics Neil's keyboard line in there, really really nice touch.

I can see UFO purists hating this at the time and fair enough but I really enjoy this album and song.  I think this tune is just very well written.  The solo section kicks things up a notch.  It's nice to hear something really heavy and a nice gallop.  Great tone from Chapman and his solo almost floats over the backing there in places, especially at the start.  Epic key change which is most welcome and builds the heavy vibe even more.  You sense that chorus coming back in and it doesn't disappoint.  Just a really damn catchy tune.  Phil doesn't do much here but he doesn't need to, it's a great band song, everyone adds their part.  Great kick off to the album also.

I think it's great how you connected with Making Contact. I'm surprised honestly, but I'm very happy about it. As a guitar player, I knew you'd be impressed with Schenker. That's easy. But I was worried how you'd take to Chapman. I definitely like Blinded though. I think this and Diesel In The Dust have a nice charm to them.

8. Unraveled (Covenant)

This one crept up on me a little but grew like an absolute monster.  Wasn't impressed with Covenant at first but this song also pricked my ears.  That opinion has changed and this song has stormed into the top 10.  Obsession like riffing at the start, almost Natural Thing like.  Great groove here too.  I love the verses and Dunbar's drum work is excellent.  The change into the chorus is beautiful and it's so simple and melodic.  I love the backups, it works really well.  What I especially love is the backing keeps saying 'unraveled,' even on the second time around where Phil says 'unstable.'  That's a nice touch.  The up in tempo is too good also.

Phil sounds quite tough and strong on this one, he sings it with a lot of conviction.  Schenker's solo is most welcome too and he rips.  Nothing fancy or long but he's really in sync here.  I fucking love that lick at 3:15, and that bend at 3:18 is absolutely incredible.  Subtle but melodic.  His outro soloing is fucking nuts too.  I wish it didn't fade out so quick.  Just an absolute stormer of a song, love it.  Underrated.

Nice! I've always liked this song. It drives pretty hard. I totally see your connection of the riff to Natural Thing. I also agree how when it jumps to the chorus it gets a total lift. And hell yes, that fade is too quick.

I know Walk On Water rightly gets the attention but Covenant is fantastic.

7. You and Me (Making Contact)

I mentioned how much I liked this one when we got to this album and that sentiment hasn't changed.  This is one amazing track to me.  Something about it is so haunting but calming at the same time.  I love the lyrics, and Phil portrays a desperate, broken man pleading to his love to have faith.  This time the music seems to showcase the depressive, melancholic subject matter.  The verses seem to represent hope but the chorus seems to be unsure, there's hope but the realization that hope is fading and almost gone.

The middle section is almost like that door on the story is closing shut or thereabouts.  Neil Carter on this track is incredible.  His E/D/C arpeggios at 1:55 are just amazing and Chapman fucking cries here.  His solo is the dude crying like his woman is giving up on him,  It's fucking awesome.  That note that he bends at 2:18 well before the start of the bar gives that desperation from the protagonist.  The song finishes awkwardly like it could have gone either way.  I just love this song, Phil is incredible here.  I know not many will agree but something about this song just touches me.

This is a wonderful tune and one of my favorite Phil vocal. He is such a great story teller and a gifted lyricist. I love the keys 1:22 where Neil behind the "It's so special" part. That is a nice solo too but that little lick at 2:53 by Chapman right before the song ends is all class.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2515 on: January 24, 2021, 04:19:31 PM »
Thanks Tim, glad you rate these tunes, especially You and Me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: January 24, 2021, 04:20:27 PM »

I still can't believe I didn't hear this (knowingly) until over 30 years after it was first released.   It's a top 5 UFO song for me.

I have the Rockpalast CD blasting in the car this morning.  I absolutely love Chapman's version here, it gives it a totally different colour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2517 on: January 24, 2021, 04:30:48 PM »
Thanks to you, I have the Rockpalast  CD in my van. That's a great live album. Seriously.

I know how great and graceful Schenker is, but Chapman's playing is pure BALLS.

It's really too bad Phil Mogg was fucking spent by 1982 because Chapman and Carter are really good. It's a damn shame they couldn't keep their shit together.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2518 on: January 24, 2021, 07:09:15 PM »
Thanks to you, I have the Rockpalast  CD in my van. That's a great live album. Seriously.

It's really too bad Phil Mogg was fucking spent by 1982 because Chapman and Carter are really good. It's a damn shame they couldn't keep their shit together.

Yeah, I like it.  It's pretty rough sounding but cranks pretty hard.  Really liking Chapman here.

Might look into the Live Sightings set you posted too in the other thread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: January 24, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »

Down by the river?  ;)

Is the Rockpalast in your writeup?  (Sorry to be lazy, but we're 72 pages in now...)