Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147945 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Wolfking Top 30
« Reply #2450 on: January 19, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »
 :omg: :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2451 on: January 19, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »
I'm really happy for you (for real).  I broke mine open and it's BEAUTIFUL, and I listed to the original LP on the way to the eye doctors.  It sounds PRISTINE.   This is amazing.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2452 on: January 19, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »
We need pictures of Tim being intimate with it also.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2453 on: January 19, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »
Oh don’t worry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: January 19, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
That start to Hot 'n' Ready in Chicago is just SICK.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2455 on: January 19, 2021, 05:39:42 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2456 on: January 19, 2021, 06:29:29 PM »
Love the PJ bottoms!

Seriously though, great pics and well presented mate.  You must be super stoked!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2457 on: January 19, 2021, 06:32:16 PM »
Love the PJ bottoms!

I had to slip into something a bit more comfortable for this, I tell you! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: January 19, 2021, 06:37:45 PM »
I love that shirt too.  I might have to track something like that down, it's cool as fuck.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:02:39 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: January 19, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »
Yeah nice mate, thanks.  The first one is where it's at.  I'll look into how much it will end up costing me to get it out here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2461 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
I'm going to run through these in order so I'm listening to the Chicago show now. Love To Love, actually, and I mention this all of the time but Michael is 23 on this. 20 f'n 3. Think about that.

His sense of grace and melody is unexplainable, really.

So happy I have the day off tomorrow!

I may do a parallel Schenker Top 30 along with a UFO Top 30..

Paul Raymond's rhythm guitar on Ain't No Baby :metal
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:17:41 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: January 19, 2021, 07:18:50 PM »
I'm going to run through these in order so I'm listening to the Chicago show now. Love To Love, actually, and I mention this all of the time but Michael is 23 on this. 20 f'n 3. Think about that.

His sense of grace and melody is unexplainable, really.

So happy I have the day off tomorrow!

I may do a parallel Schenker Top 30 along with a UFO Top 30..

Fuck yeah!

I'll wrap mine up within a week then mate if you're waiting for me.  I'll do a 5 song update in the morning tomorrow, one Sunday then maybe one next Tuesday when we have a holiday here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2463 on: January 19, 2021, 07:21:22 PM »
No rush. I just started compiling a UFO one.

I was listening to the Michael Schenker Fest live album (you can se it on the corner of my table in my pic) on my way to work this morning and I thought of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: January 19, 2021, 07:38:06 PM »
Alright sweet, I'll see how I go.

Yeah, I picked up that Fest CD/DVD too.  Haven't spun it yet but watched a bit on Youtube.  I'd love to do a Schenker top 30 but there's still so many albums of his I'm yet to check out.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2465 on: January 19, 2021, 08:00:24 PM »
great thread as always   ,,,,  Let it Roll...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2466 on: January 19, 2021, 08:20:38 PM »
You guys and your fancy Strangers box sets are making me jealous  :biggrin:

Enjoy  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: January 19, 2021, 08:22:28 PM »
You guys and your fancy Strangers box sets are making me jealous  :biggrin:

Enjoy  :metal

Feel free to join our exclusive club!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2468 on: January 19, 2021, 08:29:54 PM »
 :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2469 on: January 19, 2021, 09:50:26 PM »
Well, just looked at Amazon and they aren't selling it again. They have one 3rd party seller asking $130 for it.  :eek

TAC and Stads sold'em out. Amazing how hard this thing was to come by.

I mean, even before this box was announced, I couldn't even get a physical copy of the original so I bought the digital.

Anyway, got a shipping notice today on my copy of Walk On Water. Waiting impatiently to finally get my hands on that.

EDIT: On a side note, thanks to TAC I just got the 4 Reticent albums in the mail today with one of them signed by Chris. Do you get 15% on that as well or is it just UFO-based stuff?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: January 20, 2021, 04:07:14 AM »
I’m pretty sure I just read there is a 15 CD super deluxe edition of Strangers in the Night getting released at the beginning of March, everyone needs to pick up that one too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: January 20, 2021, 04:09:20 AM »
I’m pretty sure I just read there is a 15 CD super deluxe edition of Strangers in the Night getting released at the beginning of March, everyone needs to pick up that one too.

Where do I place my order?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: January 20, 2021, 04:25:18 AM »
 :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: January 20, 2021, 04:38:36 AM »
Oh damn, I just realised you weren't serious.  :-[

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: January 20, 2021, 04:50:35 AM »
I just realized you weren’t being serious about me not being serious.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: January 20, 2021, 06:35:55 AM »

Where do I place my order?

Yeah, after what I've already heard on this box, I'm in too.   Can't joke about that kind of stuff!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2476 on: January 20, 2021, 06:43:02 AM »
TAC and Stads sold'em out. Amazing how hard this thing was to come by.

EDIT: On a side note, thanks to TAC I just got the 4 Reticent albums in the mail today with one of them signed by Chris. Do you get 15% on that as well or is it just UFO-based stuff?

The Reticent is on me! :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2477 on: January 20, 2021, 08:19:47 AM »
Listening to the Kenosha Wisconsin show this morning.

Holy shit Schenker comes roaring out of the gates on Hot n Ready and Pack It Up. The HnR solo is ridiculous. :hefdaddy

I love the fills in the second verse of Pack It Up. At 1:13 he does this little amazing run. And both the middle and (especially) the ending solo. Fuck.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2478 on: January 20, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
Michael is particularly blistering on the Kenosha set. He was ON that night.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: January 20, 2021, 02:42:34 PM »
15. One More For the Rodeo (Obsession)

I'm sure it wouldn't be rocket science to figure out that this song is my type of song.  Pure hard rock, melodic, energetic and just a great song.  Simple riff here but the whole thing has a wonderful driving groove that gets you tapping.  This one is brilliant with Schenker and Mogg playing call and answer pretty much for the whole song.  Schenker is simply all over this one.  You know the one fill that gets me, 1:18, the 'I wish I was invisible,' and then Schenkers note choice actually sounds like he's trying to hide away, fucking amazing.

The solo rips as you'd expect and there's nothing fancy here, vintage Schenker and he throws a few different notes in there for good measure but the whole solo plays along with everything nicely.  Lots of extra melodic phrasing in this one.  And then his note choices at 2:52, I love that.  Wonderful tune.

14. Serenity (Sharks)

As soon as I was running through this album for the first time this song knocked me over.  This is exactly the type of song I was kind of waiting for.  Something dark and really heavy.  That Phrygian riff is so damn coo, simplel and different for the band.  The hero of this song is the chorus.  That chorus is fucking incredible to me.  Schenker's phaser effect along with his arpeggios is so damn cool.  I love Phil's transition in his vocals from the verse to the chorus too, perfect.

The middle section is different, but I love that riffing, I don't know what it reminds me of, kind of Beatles-esque but modern radio rock also, I don't know.  Changes up again for Schenkers solo but I hear so much Bridge to the Gap in this solo.  Same tones and stylings to songs like Temple, King, Bridges etc.  Goes back to that cool ass riff and that chorus comes through to make me happy again.  Great Schenker solo at the end too, of course.  Not sure how this one rates among the masses but I love it.

13. Too Much of Nothing (Force It)

This is another one I liked right away, again another song right up my alley.  Musically this one is damn simple, but Pete's bass here sounds like it came from the depths of hell.  So detuned and fucking heavy.  Almost doom metal the intro here.  E minor this one, three chords perfect.  Love the contrast between the verse and chorus.  The lyrics aren't that clear but seems maybe a man who's addicted to drugs and can't get off or won't change letting his woman down and resulting in a relationship breakup?  I love the lyrics in the chorus too, we all can relate no matter what mood we're in or what we're going through.  Just gotta roll on.

I will shoutout to Andy Parker, his drums on this are fucking incredible.  Reminds me of early Bill Ward style and Bonham too I guess even though I don't know that much Zep.  The middle section is original.  At first I was hoping after the big buildup it would explode and keep going Rock Bottom style, but now I love it as it is, it doesn't need that and I can see why the band structured it like this.  It's perfect as it is.  Schenker is so restrained but yet what he's doing is so fucking emotional and brilliant.  That lick at 2:54 gets me everytime.  Just a wonderful deep cut this song that seems underappreciated.

30. The Writer
29. Long Gone
28. Wonderland
27. Diesel in the Dust
26. I'm A Loser
25. Hunger in the Night
24. Darker Days
23. Can't Buy A Thrill
22. Meanstreets
21. This Kids/Between the Walls
20. Cherry
19. Born to Lose
18. Stop Breaking Down
17. A Self Made Man
16. Profession of Violence
15. One More For the Rodeo
14. Serenity
13. Too Much of Nothing
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:02:46 PM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2480 on: January 20, 2021, 03:13:20 PM »
15. One More For the Rodeo (Obsession

I'm sure it wouldn't be rocket science to figure out that this song is my type of song.  Pure hard rock, melodic, energetic and just a great song.  Simple riff here but the whole thing has a wonderful driving groove that gets you tapping.  This one is brilliant with Schenker and Mogg playing call and answer pretty much for the whole song.  Schenker is simply all over this one.  You know the one fill that gets me, 1:18, the 'I wish I was invisible,' and then Schenkers note choice actually sounds like he's trying to hide away, fucking amazing.

The solo rips as you'd expect and there's nothing fancy here, vintage Schenker and he throws a few different notes in there for good measure but the whole solo plays along with everything nicely.  Lots of extra melodic phrasing in this one.  And then his note choices at 2:52, I love that.  Wonderful tune.

Great tune and that fill it 1:18...amazing touch.

Not sure how one judges heaviness, but this song is one of their heaviest. I mentioned when we discussed the album that this is actually an uncredited Paul Raymond track. This song easily makes my list.

14. Serenity (Sharks)

As soon as I was running through this album for the first time this song knocked me over.  This is exactly the type of song I was kind of waiting for.  Something dark and really heavy.  That Phrygian riff is so damn coo, simplel and different for the band.  The hero of this song is the chorus.  That chorus is fucking incredible to me.  Schenker's phaser effect along with his arpeggios is so damn cool.  I love Phil's transition in his vocals from the verse to the chorus too, perfect.

The middle section is different, but I love that riffing, I don't know what it reminds me of, kind of Beatles-esque but modern radio rock also, I don't know.  Changes up again for Schenkers solo but I hear so much Bridge to the Gap in this solo.  Same tones and stylings to songs like Temple, King, Bridges etc.  Goes back to that cool ass riff and that chorus comes through to make me happy again.  Great Schenker solo at the end too, of course.  Not sure how this one rates among the masses but I love it.

Ooh here's a surprise. The thing about Sharks is that every song has a great part in it, but no song really pulls it all together. At least that's my opinion of it. I know people in this thread did like Covenant, but it's been my experience online that the masses prefer Sharks for some reason. I just think the songs never quite "get there".

Everything you say about Serenity is spot on though. That mid section you mention is something that Schenker likes to do. He does something similar in Dreaming Of Summer, where the non shred can be so meaningful.

No song from Sharks will make my Top 30, but my go to track on that album is Sea Of Faith. I love that "You can cover me in roses" part.

Quote from: wolfking link=topic=55669.msg2742438#msg2742438 date=1611178954

[b
13. Too Much of Nothing (Force It)[/b]

This is another one I liked right away, again another song right up my alley.  Musically this one is damn simple, but Pete's bass here sounds like it came from the depths of hell.  So detuned and fucking heavy.  Almost doom metal the intro here.  E minor this one, three chords perfect.  Love the contrast between the verse and chorus.  The lyrics aren't that clear but seems maybe a man who's addicted to drugs and can't get off or won't change letting his woman down and resulting in a relationship breakup?  I love the lyrics in the chorus too, we all can relate no matter what mood we're in or what we're going through.  Just gotta roll on.

I will shoutout to Andy Parker, his drums on this are fucking incredible.  Reminds me of early Bill Ward style and Bonham too I guess even though I don't know that much Zep.  The middle section is original.  At first I was hoping after the big buildup it would explode and keep going Rock Bottom style, but now I love it as it is, it doesn't need that and I can see why the band structured it like this.  It's perfect as it is.  Schenker is so restrained but yet what he's doing is so fucking emotional and brilliant.  That lick at 2:54 gets me everytime.  Just a wonderful deep cut this song that seems underappreciated.

This is a great song. Interesting doom metal reference. Your ears are good, man. The thing about the Leo Lyons albums is that as a bassist, he makes sure the bass is clear as day in the mix. It's the playing on this album that makes the fact that this lineup was done in about 3 years so tragic.

I love Schenker's playing behind the "I realized I'd hurt you, so I stayed just as I am". The spot at 2:28 coming out of the solo is spectacular touch.

Andy Parker is amazing on this album and Bill Ward is a great comp. I actually think it's Andy's best album. Andy would become a fairly straight forward player, but he's really free on Force It.

Great update!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: January 20, 2021, 04:29:27 PM »
Yeah I love how Pete is mixed as loud as Schenker.  It's a great touch.

I would have thought I would be alone with Serenity, but again just shows the strength of the band.

I'd definitely class Rodeo as heavy.  Heavy for UFO anyway.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: January 20, 2021, 04:46:47 PM »
15. One More For the Rodeo (Obsession

Great tune and that fill it 1:18...amazing touch.

Not sure how one judges heaviness, but this song is one of their heaviest. I mentioned when we discussed the album that this is actually an uncredited Paul Raymond track. This song easily makes my list.

For me, this is everything that I ever loved about UFO. Parker holding down the horse trot groove, Way cantering along, Raymond cropping the rump, Mogg crooning at the moon, and Schenker providing the triumphant whinny. Rodeo indeed!

I think I mentioned it before, but I felt cheated that the band broke up after this. This album, and this song in particular, showed a promise of world rock domination to come, but alas they broke up. The interplay between vocals and lead guitar was like nothing I'd ever heard. Kade, you mention one particular moment, but I suspect if the three of us were listening together in the same room, we would be grinning at each other for the dozen or more other such moments in just this one song.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: January 20, 2021, 05:05:41 PM »
There's countless in that song Gregg.  I did this write-up before work so if I had more time I would have mentioned a few more but you are right, we'd all pick out different ones along with agreeing with many others.  It's just amazing Schenker basically just solos over the whole song.  Yet each lick has extreme purpose.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2484 on: January 20, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
I think I mentioned it before, but I felt cheated that the band broke up after this. This album, and this song in particular, showed a promise of world rock domination to come, but alas they broke up.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant when I said this discussing Too Much Of Nothing:

It's the playing on this album that makes the fact that this lineup was done in about 3 years so tragic.

And I keep mentioning Michael's age because I am so blown away by his sensibilities. He's like a savant. He really is.