Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147927 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread
« Reply #2275 on: December 28, 2020, 07:02:17 PM »
Kade, thank you to you as as well. Your participation really helped drive me through all of this.

We will have a new Schenker album in a few weeks which will of course, be covered!

I knew how much you loved them so I wanted to really dig in.  It paid off dividends. 

I'll hopefully start running through my top 25 in a couple of days to keep the thread going.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2276 on: December 28, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
Kade and I throughout this thread:

I'll update my purchase list as well. Not today, but in the next few.

:lol  Yep!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2277 on: December 28, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »
Excellent job on this Tim. I know I was only interested in 70s/80s/early 90s UFO/MSG and basically fell behind from there, but I still followed and respected the heck out of the effort on your part.  I read all the posts and your loyalty and love for UFO/MSG is heartfelt. I’m glad to see Prof and Wolfster spend an excess amount of money based on your hardwork! Once again, fantastic effort  :metal

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2278 on: December 29, 2020, 05:08:01 AM »
Having followed along while adding to Orbert's Jethro Tull discography, I saw how much extra work these things entail.  70 albums?  Holy crap! 

I've made it through the 70s releases.  Hoping that life will allow for some catching up next year. 

And, a great closing post, with quite the memorable pic.  Well done, Tim!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: December 29, 2020, 05:54:03 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for doing this thread. I've really enjoyed it...well, up until I got bored anyway.  :lol

For me, adding in every band member's solo career, etc., was just too much, but from the looks of it your instincts were good for the rest of your audience. So a big  :tup   I recognize and applaud the effort, care, and passion up put into this thread.

I will get back to the Moore albums some day. I need to clear my head of the notion of "that ain't UFO" and just listen to it for what it is.

As for Schenker's solo career, yeah, I'm just not interested. I love the man's playing, but in my opinion, his bands are a complete mess. I'm guessing his personality is primarily the issue. He appears to be one of those people who are so fearful of success that they constantly self-sabotage. I mean, a page or so ago, y'all were raving about a new song from him so I clicked the link. Honestly, and this is as nice as I can say it, I have no idea why you folks called that good music. For me, Schenker is such a shadow of himself that it makes me sad to see him, really. It's not funny anymore.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2280 on: December 29, 2020, 06:09:13 AM »
I'm just glad this forced me into listening to those Schenker albums I had written off without hearing, just because of the sheer number he was putting out. There was alot of great stuff in there. Plus Walk On Water, that one alone was worth the thread.

Thanks for doing this Tim. Awesome job.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2281 on: December 29, 2020, 11:35:58 AM »
Thanks a lot TAC, for taking your time doing this and sharing a lot of cool/deep information that I think many of us didn't know before. It was an amazing thread, with a lot of interesting perspectives from all involved (thanks you all for the great posts!) and, above all, with a very positive vibe - I do think we are here to really have fun and forget a bit the problems in the real world. Also I'm really happy to see a lot of UFO/Michael Schenker fans in a DT forum, it kind of reafirms the quality of their music to me, very nice!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2282 on: December 29, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »
One of the best threads I've ever been a part of.  Amazing, Tim, and I'm so happy I got exposed to a ton of good music.  I realize now that as much of a UFO/Schenker fan I thought I was, I was just getting my feet wet. 

This was great!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: December 29, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »
Plus Walk On Water, that one alone was worth the thread.

Quoting this statement for truth.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2284 on: December 29, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »
Excellent job on this Tim. I know I was only interested in 70s/80s/early 90s UFO/MSG and basically fell behind from there, but I still followed and respected the heck out of the effort on your part.  I read all the posts and your loyalty and love for UFO/MSG is heartfelt. I’m glad to see Prof and Wolfster spend an excess amount of money based on your hardwork! Once again, fantastic effort  :metal

Thanks Jason for participating. And people accuse ME of being stuck in the 80's... :lol

Tim,

Thanks for doing this thread. I've really enjoyed it...well, up until I got bored anyway.  :lol

Gee thanks Gregg, I think...

I was hopeful of your participation early in the thread. One of the few guys that was there while those early albums were being released and I appreciate your comments on those. So thank you.

I'm just glad this forced me into listening to those Schenker albums I had written off without hearing, just because of the sheer number he was putting out. There was alot of great stuff in there. Plus Walk On Water, that one alone was worth the thread.

Thanks for doing this Tim. Awesome job.

Thanks, Paul. Still can't believe you weren't in on Walk On Water when it happened. Glad you found it here.

Having followed along while adding to Orbert's Jethro Tull discography, I saw how much extra work these things entail.  70 albums?  Holy crap! 

I've made it through the 70s releases.  Hoping that life will allow for some catching up next year. 

And, a great closing post, with quite the memorable pic.  Well done, Tim!

Thanks Joe! Chime in anytime.

Thanks a lot TAC, for taking your time doing this and sharing a lot of cool/deep information that I think many of us didn't know before. It was an amazing thread, with a lot of interesting perspectives from all involved (thanks you all for the great posts!) and, above all, with a very positive vibe - I do think we are here to really have fun and forget a bit the problems in the real world. Also I'm really happy to see a lot of UFO/Michael Schenker fans in a DT forum, it kind of reafirms the quality of their music to me, very nice!

Thanks D! So glad you enjoyed it and I was real happy to have you on board. Great posts throughout.

One of the best threads I've ever been a part of.  Amazing, Tim, and I'm so happy I got exposed to a ton of good music.  I realize now that as much of a UFO/Schenker fan I thought I was, I was just getting my feet wet. 

This was great!

WOW Bill, I appreciate that. I really do. We have a lot in common and I'm glad you were part of this too.

Guys, it was my pleasure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2285 on: December 29, 2020, 04:37:18 PM »
Tim,

Gee thanks Gregg, I think...

Poor wording from me. I was never bored of your presentation. My attention wanders sometimes. All apologies.

Guys, it was my pleasure.

Prove it. :eyebrows:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2286 on: December 29, 2020, 04:58:39 PM »
You'll really be bored then. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2287 on: December 29, 2020, 07:17:16 PM »
Gregg, I wanted to talk about a couple of points.

I will get back to the Moore albums some day. I need to clear my head of the notion of "that ain't UFO" and just listen to it for what it is.

I think Vinnie Moore joining the band brought all sorts of false expectations. I thought it was totally gonna metal/rock, and it doesn't. You thought, I think, that it would just be shreddy, and it's not even close to that.

If you subscribe to "It ain't Schenker, it ain't UFO", I can understand that. But It's Phil Mogg, Andy Parker, Pete Way (on 2 albums) and Paul Raymond. It's really just a change in guitarist when you think about it. Don't be fooled by You Are Here. The Vinnie Era is totally dialed back. And you know what? It's nice music.

As for Schenker's solo career, yeah, I'm just not interested. I love the man's playing, but in my opinion, his bands are a complete mess. I'm guessing his personality is primarily the issue. He appears to be one of those people who are so fearful of success that they constantly self-sabotage. I mean, a page or so ago, y'all were raving about a new song from him so I clicked the link. Honestly, and this is as nice as I can say it, I have no idea why you folks called that good music. For me, Schenker is such a shadow of himself that it makes me sad to see him, really. It's not funny anymore.

His solo career is definitely a minefield, as are most bands' discographies. He talked about using various members in an interview I had seen, and he mentioned it really came down to money. They don't share in the songwriting and are in most cases touring musicians. Michael beats to his own drum for sure, and if he wants to do an acoustic album, well, there goes the current band.

What's amazing about him is that he has never stopped writing and recording music. Not everything is great, but he's been quite prolific. Also, 2013's Bridge The Gap  and 2015's Spirit On A Mission are literally two of his best albums in his entire solo career.

I saw him 2 years ago and he played THIRTY songs. No short versions, no medleys. Thirty tracks. He still pushes himself, especially in the Rock Bottom solo section which has been twice as long as the classic version, but all killer.

I'm a little cautious about the new album. Michael Voss sings on a number of tracks and he fucking blows. I think you mentioned Drilled To Kill. Yeah, it's a bit campy, but a speedy double bass power metal track is practically non existent in his catalog. So I give him props for writing a song in that vain.

I don't think he's a shadow of himself at all. Maybe during the Be Aware Of Scorpions or Arachnophobiac Era, but not now.

Plus, he's 65!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2288 on: December 29, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »
Regardless of what I now think of UFO, Bridge the Gap is the winner for me out of this whole thread.  That album is incredible.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2289 on: December 29, 2020, 07:26:07 PM »
So, this is what I've purchased since Tim started this thread.  All physical cd's and dvd's;

UFO - 10 album cd collection - 1974 - 1986
UFO - Rockpalast 1980 CD/DVD
UFO - Walk on Water
UFO - Covenant 2CD
UFO - Sharks
UFO - Strangers in the Night 8CD

Michael Schenker - Unforgiven live 2cd
Michael Schenker - 30th Anniversary DVD
Michael Schenker - Temple of Rock - live CD
Michael Schenker - Temple of Rock - live DVD
Michael Schenker - Bridge the Gap
Michael Schenker - Spirit on a Mission
Michael Schenker - On A Mission Live - CD
Michael Schenker - On A Mission Live - DVD (on order)
Michael Schenker - MS Fest Tokyo - 2CD/DVD
Michael Schenker - Resurrection CD/DVD
Michael Schenker - Revelation

Waysted - Save Your Prayers

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2290 on: December 29, 2020, 07:31:43 PM »
Damn, that's awesome!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2291 on: December 29, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »
So now, the only UFO cd's I'm missing are UFO 1 and 2, Ain't Misbeahvin', ACOS and Salentino Cuts.  Not bad.

I'm probably not going to try and collect all Schenker's ones though!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2292 on: December 29, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
Not bad at all. ACOS is a grower.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: December 29, 2020, 07:53:38 PM »
Not bad at all. ACOS is a grower.

Yeah, I think I just never saw it instore anywhere so didn't buy it.  The rest of the Vinnie stuff popped up instore when they were released.  When I get the itch again, I might hunt the rest out.  I'd like a copy of Ain't Misbehavin' truthfully.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: December 29, 2020, 07:53:48 PM »
So, this is what I've purchased since Tim started this thread.  All physical cd's and dvd's;

UFO - 10 album cd collection - 1974 - 1986
UFO - Rockpalast 1980 CD/DVD
UFO - Walk on Water
UFO - Covenant 2CD
UFO - Sharks
UFO - Strangers in the Night 8CD

Michael Schenker - Unforgiven live 2cd
Michael Schenker - 30th Anniversary DVD
Michael Schenker - Temple of Rock - live CD
Michael Schenker - Temple of Rock - live DVD
Michael Schenker - Bridge the Gap
Michael Schenker - Spirit on a Mission
Michael Schenker - On A Mission Live - CD
Michael Schenker - On A Mission Live - DVD (on order)
Michael Schenker - MS Fest Tokyo - 2CD/DVD
Michael Schenker - Resurrection CD/DVD
Michael Schenker - Revelation

Waysted - Save Your Prayers

:metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2295 on: December 29, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »
I'd like a copy of Ain't Misbehavin' truthfully.

You actually helped me to appreciate that more than I ever did.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: December 29, 2020, 07:58:16 PM »
I'd like a copy of Ain't Misbehavin' truthfully.

You actually helped me to appreciate that more than I ever did.

Yeah nice.  I didn't understand the dislike but you know me, I use to love my 80's style melodic rock so it was up my alley.  Plus not having any expectations helped.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2297 on: December 29, 2020, 08:42:42 PM »
Here's my final tally. Really only 2 other records that I would like to purchase. Walk On Water is an enigma. Anyone selling a copy wants a fortune.

All are physical unless otherwise specified. The Waysted stuff is just as bad as Walk On Water in terms of availability and price.

UFO 1
UFO 2
Phenomenon
Force It
No Heavy Petting
Lights Out
Obsession
Strangers In The Night (digital)
No Place To Run
The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent
Mechanix
Making Contact
Misdemeanor
Covenant 2 CD
You Are Here
Strangers In The Night 8 CD Deluxe

Waysted (all digital)
Vices
Waysted
The Good The Bad The Waysted
Back From The Dead
The Harsh Reality

Mogg/Way
Edge Of The World
Chocolate Box

Schenker Stuff
Tales Of Rock 'N' Roll
In The Midst Of Beauty
Gipsy Lady
Bridge The Gap Deluxe
Spirit On A Mission Deluxe
Resurrection Deluxe

Would like to purchase
Ain't Misbehavin'
Walk On Water (Thanks to Stadler for the hook up on this one)

I could buy Sharks for a decent price but I'm not sure I want to. I did listen to all of the UFO albums aside from Conspiracy and Salentino. I sampled most of Schenker and only bought what grabbed me. Like I said earlier, his later material saved me from the later UFO material.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2298 on: December 29, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
That's amazing!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2299 on: December 29, 2020, 08:54:53 PM »
Here's my final tally. Really only 2 other records that I would like to purchase. Walk On Water is an enigma. Anyone selling a copy wants a fortune.

All are physical unless otherwise specified. The Waysted stuff is just as bad as Walk On Water in terms of availability and price.

UFO 1
UFO 2
Phenomenon
Force It
No Heavy Petting
Lights Out
Obsession
Strangers In The Night (digital)
No Place To Run
The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent
Mechanix
Making Contact
Misdemeanor
Covenant 2 CD
You Are Here
Strangers In The Night 8 CD Deluxe

Waysted (all digital)
Vices
Waysted
The Good The Bad The Waysted
Back From The Dead
The Harsh Reality

Mogg/Way
Edge Of The World
Chocolate Box

Schenker Stuff
Tales Of Rock 'N' Roll
In The Midst Of Beauty
Gipsy Lady
Bridge The Gap Deluxe
Spirit On A Mission Deluxe
Resurrection Deluxe

Would like to purchase
Ain't Misbehavin'
Walk On Water (Thanks to Stadler for the hook up on this one)

I could buy Sharks for a decent price but I'm not sure I want to. I did listen to all of the UFO albums aside from Conspiracy and Salentino. I sampled most of Schenker and only bought what grabbed me. Like I said earlier, his later material saved me from the later UFO material.

Jesus!  You win!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2300 on: December 29, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
At 15%.....I WIN!!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: December 29, 2020, 10:29:40 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2302 on: December 29, 2020, 11:09:13 PM »
I should try and find a copy of Edge of the World too.  I liked that one.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2303 on: December 30, 2020, 12:31:14 AM »
Thanks, TAC. It was fun to re-listen to the old UFO and Schenker albums and also hear some of the releases I hadn’t checked out before.

I already owned a good chunk of the UFO and Schenker catalogues but I do have a few albums I intend to purchase as a result of this thread: Covenant, Tales of the Imagination and Spirit on A Mission.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: December 30, 2020, 09:42:14 AM »
Hey, not to prolong this, but I've been immersed in the Revelation and Resurrection albums, and it struck me....  I like Doogie and I'm really sold now on Robin, but the fact is, they don't really have distinctive voices.   I'm listening to the Warrior video (from the bonus DVD on Resurrection) and I was surprised to see who was singing what.   I only really could tell Gary and Graham.   And to top it all off, I was listening to Warrior, and I could have sworn that it was Tony Martin from Sabbath.   

There's more to being a great singer than just volume and lung power.   When certain singers sing, you know EXACTLY who they are.   There's something to be said for that (Phil Mogg is in that category). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2305 on: December 30, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
Prolong it as long as you want. We’re not going anywhere.  :)

I think Doogie is pretty distinctive. What did you think of Stranger In Us All?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2306 on: December 30, 2020, 01:04:58 PM »
Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to tell Doogie apart.  I can kind of understand about Robin though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: December 30, 2020, 01:21:43 PM »
Although, honestly if there was one that I feel doesn't gave a distinctive voice it would be Gary.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2308 on: December 30, 2020, 03:54:05 PM »
Thanks, TAC. It was fun to re-listen to the old UFO and Schenker albums and also hear some of the releases I hadn’t checked out before.

I already owned a good chunk of the UFO and Schenker catalogues but I do have a few albums I intend to purchase as a result of this thread: Covenant, Tales of the Imagination and Spirit on A Mission.

Thank you for your participation.

Here's the Strangers unboxing with Rob DeLuca  on Mitch Lafon's show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2309 on: December 30, 2020, 04:26:38 PM »
Prolong it as long as you want. We’re not going anywhere.  :)

I think Doogie is pretty distinctive. What did you think of Stranger In Us All?

Good not great.  I watched the live release not long ago - Black Masquerade - and it was WAY better than I remembered.  He's a great singer, no doubt.   I just don't think he's so distinctive that you go "Oh, Doogie.", especially when compared to the other singers that were in Rainbow.