Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 152336 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread In Memoriam: Paul Raymond
« Reply #2205 on: December 20, 2020, 07:35:09 PM »
Love To Love from Louisville seems like it made the Strangers cut.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2206 on: December 20, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »
Love To Love from Louisville seems like it made the Strangers cut.

Just working back, now that I know what I know about the box set, I would imagine a few would have found it's way onto the final cut from that show.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2207 on: December 20, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
I'm A Loser definitely sounds like the Columbus show, but there's a Schenker overdub in the intro that's not there on the three versions they recorded.

Rock Bottom is from Louisville.
3:35-8:55 is the best 5 minutes of music these ears have ever heard.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:36:50 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: December 20, 2020, 08:43:26 PM »
Rock Bottom is from Louisville.
3:35-8:55 is the best 5 minutes of music these ears have ever heard.

Wow!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2209 on: December 21, 2020, 10:31:23 AM »
UPS guy just dropped off a nice little box of goodness. I'll be digging into this today and tomorrow.

I'm shocked that I actually got it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2210 on: December 21, 2020, 10:39:28 AM »
Pics or it didn’t happen!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: December 21, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »
UPS guy just dropped off a nice little box of goodness. I'll be digging into this today and tomorrow.

I'm shocked that I actually got it.

:tup

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2212 on: December 21, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2213 on: December 21, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »
Ouch.

That hurt! :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2214 on: December 21, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
That just made my week (I'm in the same boat as the Professor; I think we ordered it within a day of each other from the same place, if I understand what was posted here).  I've got the COVIDs swirling around my family and I'm looking at a voluntary 14-day quarrantine (short answer, my stepson was exposed by his dad's wife while visiting this weekend) so if I get a present too, that will make the time go by a LOT faster. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: December 21, 2020, 11:22:21 AM »
Yeah, and that's what makes this set amazing. I mean, for me, it's not just because it is UFO.

This would be like Iron Maiden releasing a set of all 4 shows from Long Beach Arena in 1985.

Except the UFO set has different setlists.

Yeah I get it now.  Having all shows from LAD would be monumental, so I get the relevance of this set to a long time fan.

That's a seed planted.  I'd kill for THAT box set.  The video and the CD are (largely) from different nights as it is, and they are different enough to be interesting, so I'd go in for a "Long Beach Box" (phrasing). 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2216 on: December 21, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »
That just made my week (I'm in the same boat as the Professor; I think we ordered it within a day of each other from the same place, if I understand what was posted here).  I've got the COVIDs swirling around my family and I'm looking at a voluntary 14-day quarrantine (short answer, my stepson was exposed by his dad's wife while visiting this weekend) so if I get a present too, that will make the time go by a LOT faster.

Ordered mine on 9/20 from Amazon.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: December 21, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »

9/21, Amazon.    :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2219 on: December 21, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
I spent a big chunk of today listening to the Strangers deluxe on Apple Music. Loved it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2220 on: December 21, 2020, 03:44:32 PM »

9/21, Amazon.    :tup

9/22, which was my birthday!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: December 21, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »
Hopefully you lads are getting it before Xmas too then.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2222 on: December 21, 2020, 08:48:46 PM »
Listening to On With The Action from Youngstown, and Paul Raymond's rhythm guitar underneath the solo is wicked,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: December 21, 2020, 08:51:07 PM »
Any ideas why Action didn't make the Strangers album?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2224 on: December 21, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »

Funny, as I was just thinking that. I would love to know the back story on that. It's the only pre Obsession song played at these shows that didn't make it.

Weird they opted to record Mother Mary and This Kids live in the studio instead.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2225 on: December 22, 2020, 01:57:02 AM »

Funny, as I was just thinking that. I would love to know the back story on that. It's the only pre Obsession song played at these shows that didn't make it.

Weird they opted to record Mother Mary and This Kids live in the studio instead.

I’m glad they did because both are better than In With The Action. Even though these live versions are a lot better than the studio one. Thankfully, Mogg tones down the weird pronunciation on the chorus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: December 22, 2020, 04:18:18 AM »
You know, the first time I heard On With the Action, I just thought it would have been a fan fav, especially from more metal heads.  But maybe, that's just me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: December 22, 2020, 04:27:19 AM »
Another one I would have loved to hear is Too Much of Nothing.  Underrated it seems.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread In Memoriam: Paul Chapman
« Reply #2228 on: December 22, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »
In Memoriam

Paul Chapman

June 9, 1954 – June 9, 2020

Paul briefly replaced Gary Moore in Skid Row in 1970-1971. Interesting to me that Paul replaced Gary Moore and Michael Schenker...my two favorite guitarists!

Anyway, Paul joined UFO in 1974 for part of the Phenomenon tour. Basically playing rhythm to Michael's leads, Paul would leave to form his own band, Lonestar.

I have well documented Lonestar when discussing the Chapman Era, and he even brought a couple of Lonestar tracks that became UFO songs.

Lone Star-1976
Firing On All Six-1977

Paul filled in for Michael Schenker for the first few weeks of the Lights Out US tour, before Schenker rejoined the band. He then finished the Obsession tour after Michael left for good. There are many that would argue that the Chapman Era is their favorite. I will say that The Wild The Willing And The Innocent is my second favorite UFO album.

When the band reunited with Michael Schenker in 1993, Paul was also contacted about being the guitarist until Michael ultimately decided to do it.

In 2002, Paul released Ghost. with Carl Sentance on vocals. I have this. It's somewhat similar to the Save Your Prayers style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFyAK7i8E0

Paul would basically retire to Florida, but still did some odd sessions here and there. He would join Gator Country, which included former members of Molly Hatchet, Singer Jimmy Farrar, guitarist Duane Roland, and drummer Duane Crump.
After Roland passed away, Paul joined the band.

Paul is featured on their 2008 live album, Gator Country Live.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1UWxwBxXZWnXkhXdNt4z0N?si=xKww3UMOTs-mUdc17NwMvA
Paul in the left ear.

Here's a live clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndqs9T2PkEM

He has great chemistry with the other lead guitarist, Linne Disse, who is pretty fucking good himself.

I am very thankful I got a chance to see Paul live when Waysted opened for Iron Maiden in 1987.

When I heard of Paul Chapman's death, I was really moved. Unexpectedly, actually. I always thought Paul was cool as hell. He looked cool. Played cool. And I liked that he wasn't intimidated by replacing Michael Schenker. I actually thought he improved some of the songs, as discussed earlier in the thread.

A few years ago, I had scratched out an outline for a UFO Discography Thread. When Paul passed, I decided that the UFO Discography thread must happen. I got right on it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2229 on: December 22, 2020, 07:07:18 PM »
So some thoughts on the Vinnie Moore era...

I was kind of expecting the response it had, because I myself had the same reaction. Podaar bailed, Powerslave fell off, and it was clear they weren't Vinnie fans.

I hope Podaar carves out some time to give these albums a spin. It is anything that is shreddy or noodly.

After Schenker and Chapman, UFO recorded with a handful of guitarists...Tommy McClendon, Laurence Archer, George Bellas, and Jeff Kollman. And Schenker again.. These albums were all rooted in hard rock.
I still don't love You Are Here, but it showed some great promise to me. And then UFO threw a big time curveball with The Monkey Puzzle. It has a couple of great tunes (Drink Too Much and Who's Fooling Who) but it is totally dialed back. Followed up by the great, but Rolling Stones inspired The Visitor and the bluesy Seven Deadly, and ulitmately the sneaky strong A Conspiracy Of Stars, they just never achieved that hard rock reach.

I can think of only two reasons for this.
1. This was truly the direction Phil wanted to head in his latter years. Lyrically, these are some of his best work. Seriously. and,
2. This style of music was an itch Vinnie Moore needed to scratch. I totally respect that. I know he's said he sends Phil a bunch of ideas, and Phil picks the ones he wants to work with.

Another thing I've been thinking of...

Comparing the recent Schenker output, it is wrought with live material. Other than Showtime, which was recorded on the You Are Here tour (first with Vinnie), there are no live releases. I think this really detracts from this era. UFO has built their reputation as a live band, yet their management found no need to release any live material from over the last 15 years. I think that was a mistake.

They managed to play about a half dozen Chapman tunes, but the lack of live releases means us UFO fans never really get to study Vinnie's interpretations of the older material, nor can we celebrate the Vinnie tunes live.

We are only left with Youtube, and there are plenty of shows online. While it's tough to get a true band sound sometimes on these boots, it's great to see Phil, especially his between song banter.

UFO...Vinnie Moore...should've been a no brainer.

Thoughts?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: December 22, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
After Schenker and Chapman, UFO recorded with a handful of guitarists...Tommy McClendon, Laurence Archer, George Bellas, and Jeff Kollman. And Schenker again..

You're talking about Mogg/Way yeah?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: December 22, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »

Comparing the recent Schenker output, it is wrought with live material. Other than Showtime, which was recorded on the You Are Here tour (first with Vinnie), there are no live releases. I think this really detracts from this era. UFO has built their reputation as a live band, yet their management found no need to release any live material from over the last 15 years. I think that was a mistake.

They managed to play about a half dozen Chapman tunes, but the lack of live releases means us UFO fans never really get to study Vinnie's interpretations of the older material, nor can we celebrate the Vinnie tunes live.

We are only left with Youtube, and there are plenty of shows online. While it's tough to get a true band sound sometimes on these boots, it's great to see Phil, especially his between song banter.

Thoughts?

This is all a fair point Tim.  While they obviously weren't as energetic in their twilight years, Phil could still sing and Vinnie did do some interesting interpretations.  Another live album wouldn't have gone astray now that you mention it.  I would have LOVED to hear this Vinnie era lineup cover some Chapman songs.  Which ones did they do?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: December 23, 2020, 08:09:54 AM »
So some thoughts on the Vinnie Moore era...

I was kind of expecting the response it had, because I myself had the same reaction. Podaar bailed, Powerslave fell off, and it was clear they weren't Vinnie fans.

I hope Podaar carves out some time to give these albums a spin. It is anything that is shreddy or noodly.

After Schenker and Chapman, UFO recorded with a handful of guitarists...Tommy McClendon, Laurence Archer, George Bellas, and Jeff Kollman. And Schenker again.. These albums were all rooted in hard rock.
I still don't love You Are Here, but it showed some great promise to me. And then UFO threw a big time curveball with The Monkey Puzzle. It has a couple of great tunes (Drink Too Much and Who's Fooling Who) but it is totally dialed back. Followed up by the great, but Rolling Stones inspired The Visitor and the bluesy Seven Deadly, and ulitmately the sneaky strong A Conspiracy Of Stars, they just never achieved that hard rock reach.

I can think of only two reasons for this.
1. This was truly the direction Phil wanted to head in his latter years. Lyrically, these are some of his best work. Seriously. and,
2. This style of music was an itch Vinnie Moore needed to scratch. I totally respect that. I know he's said he sends Phil a bunch of ideas, and Phil picks the ones he wants to work with.

Thoughts?

Although I can't say I got into the Chapman era because of their live stuff (it was because of the Chrysalis compilations) I think you're on to something.   I got the first 10 UFO albums (well, albums three through 12, because they skipped the first two space rock records) through the Chrysalis compilations.  To get into the Vinnie era I would have to buy records blind, or wade through Spotify, and it just didn't seem worth it.  I like Monkey Puzzle, and the one that followed, I told you that, but not having the live stuff to sort of place it in the bigger picture is a detriment to that era of the band, IMO.   

I also think it's different music, more different than Chapman was to Schenker.  Chapman was his own guy with his own style (I've already written that the guy writes the best solo spots and transitions of just about anyone; most of his solos are weaved into the song rather than widdly widdly breaks) but he wasn't a huge leap from Schenker.   IMO again, but the Vinnie era is a bigger leap and to your point about the "hard rock", it's not necessarily a leap that inspires me.  Schenker/Chapman UFO is far more unique than they get credit for; who are they like?  No one, really.  It's like the Scorpions, Deep Purple and Bad Company rolled into one.   There's no one like them.   I don't need a UFO that is channeling the Rolling Stones; I have the Rolling Stones and 100 bands from LA doing the same thing.  I know that's not fair to Vinnie, but resources are finite, if you follow me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: December 23, 2020, 08:14:07 AM »
I wrote this before, but I'll repeat it:  Chapman retired to Melbourne, FL, on the east coast.  My work has a main office in Melbourne, and I travel there frequently.  I almost moved there, actually.   Paul gave lessons and ran a music store in Melbourne, and after work, rather than sit in a hotel room, I would sometimes eat dinner and hang out at an Irish bar that is literally on the next block.  I never got into the store, and I regret that.  After his passing, the family did a tribute at another bar/live music place out on the beach that is right next door to the hotel I usually stay in.  I wasn't there, but I understand it was a big deal in the area.   

I have no connection myself to Paul, and never met him; I only say this to point out how he was a humble part of a community, well-loved and respected.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: December 23, 2020, 12:46:14 PM »
My copy of Revelation came the other day; I think I like this more than Resurrection.  It seems like the various singers blend better on this.  And shout out to Graham Bonnet; he sounds different.  BETTER, but different.  It seems he's hitting all the notes he used to but without that grating, abrasive sounds he frequently gets (listen to "Sleeping With The Light On" for an example of that).

I like Rock Steady a LOT more than most of you it seems.

I agree with TAC about Doogie sounding like Marc Storace.  Someone in Sleeping With The Light On sounds like Klaus Meine a little bit; at first I thought that was Ronnie Romero, but he's not on that song, it seems. Is that Robin?

Speaking of which, he really impresses me on this record.   I feel kinda bad for all the dirt I've dealt him over the years (though the Macauley Schenker albums still aren't that good to me).  He slays on Lead You Astray. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:02:27 PM by Stadler »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: December 23, 2020, 12:56:05 PM »
My copy of Revelation came the other day; I think I like this more than Resurrection.  It seems like the various singers blend better on this.  And shout out to Graham Bonnet; he sounds different.  BETTER, but different.  It seems he's hitting all the notes he used to but without that grating, abrasive sounds he frequently gets (listen to "Sleeping With The Light On" for an example of that).

I purchased a copy of this but haven't listened to it.  I forgot about it to be honest and the Strangers box got in the way.

I've listened to Resurrection again though and I like this one.  This feels more of an 80's MSG record.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2237 on: December 23, 2020, 01:41:39 PM »
I own Resurrection but have never listened to Revelation, other than Rock Steady, which put me right off. I’ll see if I can get a listen in this week. I do enjoy the songs on Resurrection where all of the vocalists are involved.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: December 23, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
That was a great post from Tim about Chapman.  He gave me a sneak peak and I really loved reading it.  The Gator video is some cool, raw shit haha.

I will say, getting into the Chapman stuff as this thread progressed, I wasn't thrilled with the first couple.  I still have to go back and check them again with a new perspective but they were a step down from the Schenker stuff.  Making Contact though blew me away, that's an amazing 80's record.  Top 3 UFO album for sure, my appreciation for Chapman grew from there.  His work on You and Me is incredible, that short solo is fucking incredible.

At first I didn't really care for his work on the old Schenker stuff.  How he changed the middle of Love to Love didn't sit well with me yet now I really apprecaite his take.  The Rockpalast concert is amazing and I've gotten a copy of that on CD/DVD although haven't watched it yet.  That's a top UFO live release IMO.  Even Rock Bottom he does a very good job.

I love Save Your Prayers now too, that's a great record that I've also acquired a copy of.  My top 3 Chapman moments would be his work on Heroes Die Young, especially the ending from 5:00 onwards, so simple but amazing.  The solo on So Long is unbelievable also, I've fallen in love with that one and of course You and Me.

Great, great rock guitarist.  A shame he passed so young.  He had a cool as fuck stage presence too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2239 on: December 23, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
That was a great post from Tim about Chapman.  He gave me a sneak peak and I really loved reading it.  The Gator video is some cool, raw shit haha.

I will say, getting into the Chapman stuff as this thread progressed, I wasn't thrilled with the first couple.  I still have to go back and check them again with a new perspective but they were a step down from the Schenker stuff.  Making Contact though blew me away, that's an amazing 80's record.  Top 3 UFO album for sure, my appreciation for Chapman grew from there.  His work on You and Me is incredible, that short solo is fucking incredible.

At first I didn't really care for his work on the old Schenker stuff.  How he changed the middle of Love to Love didn't sit well with me yet now I really apprecaite his take.  The Rockpalast concert is amazing and I've gotten a copy of that on CD/DVD although haven't watched it yet.  That's a top UFO live release IMO.  Even Rock Bottom he does a very good job.

I love Save Your Prayers now too, that's a great record that I've also acquired a copy of.  My top 3 Chapman moments would be his work on Heroes Die Young, especially the ending from 5:00 onwards, so simple but amazing.  The solo on So Long is unbelievable also, I've fallen in love with that one and of course You and Me.

Great, great rock guitarist.  A shame he passed so young.  He had a cool as fuck stage presence too.

Thanks Kade. I appreciate that.

Yeah that Gator Country video is cool as shit. It totally rocks.

Paul Chapman was cool AF, and like I said, he had giant stones.