Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 140791 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography and Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Seven Deadly
« Reply #1925 on: November 25, 2020, 12:27:25 PM »
Reading that gave me goosebumps Kade!!

Thanks mate.  I enjoyed typing it.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: November 25, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »
That’s an impressive review Wolf, clearly this album is hitting you hard positively

It's an absolute cracker.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1927 on: November 25, 2020, 02:09:11 PM »
As usual, I'll be a bit late on these Schenker albums. I don't expect them until late next week, at the earliest.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: November 25, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
As usual, I'll be a bit late on these Schenker albums. I don't expect them until late next week, at the earliest.

Make this album a priority mate.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1929 on: November 25, 2020, 05:31:04 PM »
Wolfkings’ excellent song by song analysis inspired me to listen to Bridge the Gap again today, to see if I could identify what is described as Phyrgian. I think I have it figured out...or it’s possible I don’t have a clue. Phyrg if I know  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: November 25, 2020, 06:38:53 PM »
Wolfkings’ excellent song by song analysis inspired me to listen to Bridge the Gap again today, to see if I could identify what is described as Phyrgian. I think I have it figured out...or it’s possible I don’t have a clue. Phyrg if I know  :lol

:lol  it's that almost Egyptian type sound, it's very distinguishable.  Glad my analysis is inspiring others to check it out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1931 on: November 25, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »

:lol  it's that almost Egyptian type sound, it's very distinguishable.  Glad my analysis is inspiring others to check it out.

Your analysis is inspiring me to check it out, and I've owned the fucking thing for 7 years! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1932 on: November 25, 2020, 07:39:56 PM »

Your analysis is inspiring me to check it out, and I've owned the fucking thing for 7 years! :lol

:metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1933 on: November 25, 2020, 09:00:15 PM »
Just finished my write up to A Conspiracy Of Stars. Was surprised at how sad I felt.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: November 25, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »
Just finished my write up to A Conspiracy Of Stars. Was surprised at how sad I felt.

It's going to be sad listening to it too.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: November 26, 2020, 04:38:57 AM »
https://youtu.be/cDQ9VICJZyc

He doesn't listen to music?  Interesting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1936 on: November 26, 2020, 06:17:09 AM »
Yeah, he doesn't consume music, as he puts it. That's a nice video bit. That Ralf track sounds killer in the background.

He has a million interviews on youtube over the last several years. He always says something strange, but I cannot watch his face when he speaks and not smile.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1937 on: November 26, 2020, 10:49:03 AM »
Yeah, I thought I remember seeing an interview with him years ago where he stated he does not listen to music at all. He said something along the lines of he doesn't want to be inspired by anything or accidentally copy a riff or something. He only wants to inspire himself with his own ideas.

He is a unique character.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: November 26, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
It's like Bill and Ted went in their phone booth and grabbed him from the 1600's or something the way he looks, talks and acts.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1939 on: November 26, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/T_lbUNvjquA

David Brewster covering the chords of UFO for anyone interested.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: November 26, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »
Chords?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1941 on: November 26, 2020, 02:20:47 PM »
I've actually watched that video before.

I like this one..

It's funny to hear him talk when he was younger too. A total spaceshot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSctHspJuIY

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1942 on: November 26, 2020, 02:39:35 PM »
Just read this interview with Adrian Smith:
http://bravewords.com/features/iron-maidens-adrian-smith-talks-fishing-going-solo-with-bruce-dickinson-killers-era-i-havent-seen-paul-dianno-for-years-and-years

"Michael Schenker is probably my biggest influence. I like to use wah wah pedals to get tone, especially live so it comes through. I thought he was amazing, I used to go see him at a place called The Roundhouse in London, he was with UFO and he might have been 17 or 18 - only a year older than myself - but he was already a prodigy. He was massively inspiring. When I saw him I went out and dyed my hair blonde and starting wearing the same clothes as him. The only thing I didn’t get was a Flying V because I couldn’t afford it.”"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: November 26, 2020, 03:34:20 PM »
Yeah, pretty sure Gary Moore is another strong influence of Adrians.  He has a great mix of Schenker and Moore in his playing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1944 on: November 26, 2020, 03:37:02 PM »
Well, Adrian is my favorite guitar player. The man does not waste notes. Must have picked that up from Schenker.

I just broke out Psycho Motel's Welcome To The World recently and Adrian is just the man.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1945 on: November 26, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
Yeah, pretty sure Gary Moore is another strong influence of Adrians.  He has a great mix of Schenker and Moore in his playing.

He actually mentions Gary Moore next in the interview...

BraveWords: Have you met some of these legends who influenced you?

Smith: “Yeah, I have. I met Gary Moore when we were doing the Killers album, at a place called Battery Studios in London. They had a bar there and Gary was doing an album. It was in his metal phase, he wasn’t doing his Blues yet. We met him in the bar, it was me and Dave and a few others, and he invited us into the studio where they were recording. He was playing with Don Airey, Ian Paice, and I think it was Neil Murray on bass. They were playing live and it sounded incredible, it sounded controlled. He was playing that big Strat, and I’ll never forget that. It was just an incredible experience and he was so nice to us."

Michael Schenker and Gary Moore-my two favorite guitar players!!

I have always loved Adrian Smith. I was gutted when he left Iron Maiden.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: November 26, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »
Well, Adrian is my favorite guitar player. The man does not waste notes. Must have picked that up from Schenker.

I just broke out Psycho Motel's Welcome To The World recently and Adrian is just the man.

This is a fantastic analogy mate, perfect actually, for both Schenker and Smith.

That Psycho Motel album is great.  It hits that grungey style which I liked as a kid but with Adrian's solos sprinkled through.  He is on fire on this album actually.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1947 on: November 26, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »

I am rarely a positive person who looks on the bright side, but his leaving gave us 2 Psycho Motel albums with which he wrote all the music and plays all guitar and he joined Bruce for 2 classic albums with him. Not to mention, I actually saw them on the Accident of Birth tour at the House of Blues in Chicago. That was quite the show.

And that second Psycho Motel album is one of my all-time top albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1948 on: November 26, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »

I am rarely a positive person who looks on the bright side, but his leaving gave us 2 Psycho Motel albums with which he wrote all the music and plays all guitar and he joined Bruce for 2 classic albums with him. Not to mention, I actually saw them on the Accident of Birth tour at the House of Blues in Chicago. That was quite the show.

I have copies of the Psycho Motel albums here. I distinctly remember liking one more than the other, but I don't really remember a thing about them.

I bought the ASAP on vinyl when it was released, and also saw the Accident Of Birth tour too, in Providence.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: November 26, 2020, 04:16:46 PM »

I have copies of the Psycho Motel albums here. I distinctly remember liking one more than the other, but I don't really remember a thing about them.

I bought the ASAP on vinyl when it was released, and also saw the Accident Of Birth tour too, in Providence.

Welcome to the Real World is by far superior to State of Mind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: November 26, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »

Adrian's solos on Chemical Wedding is one of my favourite guitar performances ever.  His playing is so tasty on that album.  King in Crimson, Tower, Gates of Urizen, Book of Thel, Jericho and Jerusalem all have sublime solos from H.  Top tier quality, no question.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1951 on: November 26, 2020, 06:53:15 PM »
March 30, 1987
Providence Civic Center

July 17, 1988
Worcester Centrum

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1952 on: November 26, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »
So everyone knows where we are, we are down to our final 5 albums of the Listening Party... :(

2015   UFO     A Conspiracy Of Stars
2015   Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock   Spirit on a Mission   

2017   UFO     The Salentino Cuts
2018   Michael Schenker Fest   Resurrection   
2019   Michael Schenker Fest   Revelation 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1953 on: November 26, 2020, 08:40:06 PM »
So everyone knows where we are, we are down to our final 5 albums of the Listening Party... :(

2021   Michael Schenker Group   Immortal

Keep the party going into the new year!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: November 27, 2020, 12:48:27 AM »

I like the way this man thinks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: November 27, 2020, 04:20:27 AM »
Actually, thinking about it, the new MS album could tie in pretty well.  I'm already planning over the next few weeks to revisit all UFO albums and come up with a maybe 25 countdown.  Maybe do it around XMas when I have a bit more time.  January will roll around before we know it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1956 on: November 27, 2020, 03:02:45 PM »

I like the way this man thinks!

Me too! :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1957 on: November 27, 2020, 06:57:06 PM »
Where else we should comment that album, but here? Count me in! :metal :metal :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1958 on: November 27, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »
The new song does indeed sound awesome!!

Really looking forward to hearing Joe Lynn Turner, but the lack of Doogie really bums me out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: November 27, 2020, 07:08:46 PM »
The new song does indeed sound awesome!!

Really looking forward to hearing Joe Lynn Turner, but the lack of Doogie really bums me out.

That's a major disappointment indeed mate.