Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147934 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: You Are Here
« Reply #1680 on: November 08, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
Just also realised I have some Heavy Hitters cover CD too.  Only a couple of songs on here that I like though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1681 on: November 08, 2020, 02:01:32 PM »
Well, more money gone. I was checking out samples of Tales and really liked what I was hearing. Jari is the first vocalist that I have heard from Michael that I actually liked. I was liking him so much that I checked out the credits for the next album only to see Barden was back. That didn't make me feel good. Then I checked out Barden's track on Tales and was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked older Barden. So then I checked out some stuff from the next album and I had no issues with how Barden sounded and the music sounded nice and heavy.

I haven't played In The Midst Of Beauty in years. Heavy was the last thing I'd use to describe it. I remember being very disappointed with it. But I'll be spinning it this week for the Listening Party.

The version of Love to Love in this set is excellent.  I do really like what Vinnie does on this one.

I was listening to Disc 2 of Showtime on my way to and from work today. I must say that the entire disc is excellent. I love how the changed the accents in the Love To Love intro, and this is really a nice version. Lights Out is the shredfest it should be, and Rock Bottom is excellent too.

Sometimes it's hard for me to listen to some of these old classics live as I have every note from Schenker memorized. But htses were great versions.
And Jason Bonham :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: November 08, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »
The store where I bought both those Temple of Rock albums also had In the Midst of Beauty but passed on it cause it was Barden.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1683 on: November 08, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
Just also realised I have some Heavy Hitters cover CD too.  Only a couple of songs on here that I like though.

I actually ended up passing that for the thread.

I love Dianno singing on Hair Of The Dog. that's the perfect song for him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1684 on: November 08, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »

I also managed to get copies of 2 Schenker Temple of Rock albums.  Spirit on a Mission and Bridge the Gap.  I'll try and hold off and listen to these when Tim gets to them.  No real idea what to expect with these really.

Doogie on vocals, and these are excellent albums!!! Bridge The Gap is one of my favorite Schenker albums. The first Temple Of Rock has Michael Voss on vocals, and hell yes, we'll be covering them!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: November 08, 2020, 02:17:07 PM »

I also managed to get copies of 2 Schenker Temple of Rock albums.  Spirit on a Mission and Bridge the Gap.  I'll try and hold off and listen to these when Tim gets to them.  No real idea what to expect with these really.

Doogie on vocals, and these are excellent albums!!! Bridge The Gap is one of my favorite Schenker albums. The first Temple Of Rock has Michael Voss on vocals, and hell yes, we'll be covering them!

Yeah, a shame they didn't have the first one cause I liked the songs from it from the DVD I got a couple weeks back.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1686 on: November 08, 2020, 02:18:46 PM »
I actually haven't listened to it a long time. I remember being kinda meh on it. But Bridge The Gap is a whole 'nother animal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: November 08, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
Good to hear those albums I purchased are good ones though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: November 08, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
I actually haven't listened to it a long time. I remember being kinda meh on it. But Bridge The Gap is a whole 'nother animal.

:metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1689 on: November 08, 2020, 03:20:49 PM »
I love Bonnet's track from Tales. 

The chorus "Sometimes they leave you cold..." is awesome.

He's a little gargly in the verses, but the prechorus and the chorus, he sounds great.

The verses though..
"Two girls on my bed want me to watch them
Do I hear Ride Of The Valkyries "

:lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: November 08, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »

I actually ended up passing that for the thread.

I love Dianno singing on Hair Of The Dog. that's the perfect song for him.

I'll get around to it eventually.  Dunno why I'd have this.  Must have been dirt cheap.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: November 08, 2020, 03:45:08 PM »
Listening to Covenant in the car and I've totally changed my viewpoint on it.  This is a real grower but a well thought out and well written, mature hard rock album.  The CD sounds wonderful too production wise.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1692 on: November 08, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »
Listening to Covenant in the car and I've totally changed my viewpoint on it.  This is a real grower but a well thought out and well written, mature hard rock album.  The CD sounds wonderful too production wise.

I love Covenant. I really do. I think it's one of their best albums. I have it in the say..Top 7. ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: November 08, 2020, 03:53:08 PM »

I love Covenant. I really do. I think it's one of their best albums. I have it in the say..Top 7. ;D

Seriously can't wait to do some rankings at the end of this.  I can see Covenant slipping up there truthfully.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: November 08, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »
Got a comment on my Rock Bottom vid.

'The UFO's recording in the background is too loud.  Can't hear shit.'

:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Monkey Puzzle
« Reply #1695 on: November 08, 2020, 06:17:53 PM »
The Monkey Puzzle

The Monkey Puzzle (2006)

Released September 26, 2006

1. Hard Being Me
2. Heavenly Body
3. Some Other Guy
4. Who's Fooling Who?
5. Black And Blue
6. Drink Too Much
7. World Cruise
8. Down By The River
9. Good Bye You
10. Rolling Man
11. Kingston Town

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Vinnie Moore-Guitar
Pete Way-Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar

While not nearly as heavy as You Are Here, The Monkey Puzzle really sets the stage for the rest of Vinnie Era.
The album boasts the return of original drummer Andy Parker. Unfortunately it also marks the final album with Pete Way. To tour the album, Pete could not secure the proper visas, and his playing had really dropped off. He and Phil apparently had a tiff and that was that.

However this album has the classic lineup together, save for Vinnie, since the Walk On Water album. And again produced by Tommy Newton.

Andy Parker announces his return right out of the gate with Hard Being Me.

To me, this album has three amazing songs:
Who's Fooling Who
Drink Too Much
Some Other Guy

Not hard rock by any stretch. All three of these songs are on the mellower side, but I absolutely love them.

I generally think this album fairly inconsistent. Heavenly Body and World Cruise didn't even make it to my iPod. But it has aged really well, and is quite easy on the ears.
Anyone worried about Vinnie shredding his way through an album need not worry. Vinnie plays some really cool laid back shit on this album. I think Drink Too Much is one of Vinnie's best with the band.

I'll mention it again on the next album, but Paul Raymond plays some damn tasteful and exactly what's called for keyboardwise. His playing on Who's Fooling Who is damn near perfection for the track.

I'm definitely interested in everyone's comments on this one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: November 08, 2020, 06:34:18 PM »
Out of the Vinnie stuff, don't remember liking this one all that much.  Will spin it again though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1697 on: November 08, 2020, 06:39:48 PM »
Out of the Vinnie stuff, don't remember liking this one all that much.  Will spin it again though.

I'm a hard rock guy, and I was hoping they'd build on You Are Here. But instead of getting heavier, they turned into the Rolling Stones. My first impression was very disappointed. I mean, you have the Strangers lineup AND Vinnie Moore. WTF is this??
But once I accept what it ain't, it's easier to accept what it is. And I find it quite enjoyable.

To me, my listening to this revolved around the three tracks I mentioned. I think Who's Fooling Who and Drink Too Much are amazing tracks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: November 08, 2020, 06:51:58 PM »

I'm a hard rock guy, and I was hoping they'd build on You Are Here. But instead of getting heavier, they turned into the Rolling Stones. My first impression was very disappointed. I mean, you have the Strangers lineup AND Vinnie Moore. WTF is this??
But once I accept what it ain't, it's easier to accept what it is. And I find it quite enjoyable.

To me, my listening to this revolved around the three tracks I mentioned. I think Who's Fooling Who and Drink Too Much are amazing tracks.

They are good tracks.

WOW is becoming a fav and Covenant growing too so this is going to be harder again to get into I feel.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1699 on: November 08, 2020, 06:53:50 PM »
Hey that's cool. This doesn't rank with those albums by a long shot.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: November 08, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »
Hey that's cool. This doesn't rank with those albums by a long shot.

That's what I mean.

I'll try and listen again to Monkey with an open mind though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1701 on: November 08, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »
Hey that's what it's all about. We're all going to like some albums more than others. I generally view the Vinnie Era as very underwhelming, unfortunately. Enjoyable, but underwhelming.

I LOVE the next album though!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1702 on: November 08, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »
Apparently my opinion became a little reverse to TAC's about the next 2 albums ...
I must say Monkey Puzzle was a nice surprise in this listening party! In this case, a “re-listening” party.
UFO here really began to be a much more blues rock band, which frustrated me a bit... maybe this is the reason I liked less this album at the time of release.
That said, now I think this album is better than You Are Here. I think both albums have a very good and solid 45 minutes, but, for Monkey... is in fact all the album.
There’s a lot to appreciate here: Moore’s guitar work and tone are great, indeed Paul Raymond’s keyboards reappeared big time in the arrangements and the flow of the album is excellent. There’s really good ballads, like Who’s Fooling Who and Drink Too Much (this one is really excellent); it begins not so strong with Hard Being Me, but Heavenly Body and Some Other Guy are really cool and the album continues in a very good level, finishing with a very satisfying track, that remindes a lot the Schenker’s era in the chorus, Kingstom Town.
Surprising me, this album cracked the 7.5 barrier!
Coincidentally(maybe not) my fave albums from Vinnie’s era are with Pete Way  :metal

Ranking:

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT – 9.5
MAKING CONTACT/WALK ON WATER – 9.0
NO PLACE TO RUN/HIGH STAKES & DANGEROUS MEN/MOGG-WAY – CHOCOLATE BOX – 8.5
PHENOMENON/MOGG-WAY – EDGE OF THE WORLD/COVENANT/ THE MONKEY PUZZLE  – 8.0
MISDEMEANOR/YOU ARE HERE - 7.5
AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’/?/? – 7.0
? – 6.5
SHARKS – 6.0
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: November 08, 2020, 08:13:28 PM »
Hey that's what it's all about. We're all going to like some albums more than others. I generally view the Vinnie Era as very underwhelming, unfortunately. Enjoyable, but underwhelming.

I LOVE the next album though!

Yeah, it's the pick of the bunch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1704 on: November 08, 2020, 08:15:15 PM »
I must say Monkey Puzzle was a nice surprise in this listening party! In this case, a “re-listening” party.
UFO here really began to be a much more blues rock band, which frustrated me a bit... maybe this is the reason I liked less this album at the time of release.
That said, now I think this album is better than You Are Here. I think both albums have a very good and solid 45 minutes, but, for Monkey... is in fact all the album.
There’s a lot to appreciate here: Moore’s guitar work and tone are great, indeed Paul Raymond’s keyboards reappeared big time in the arrangements and the flow of the album is excellent. There’s really good ballads, like Who’s Fooling Who and Drink Too Much (this one is really excellent); it begins not so strong with Hard Being Me, but Heavenly Body and Some Other Guy are really cool and the album continues in a very good level, finishing with a very satisfying track, that remindes a lot the Schenker’s era in the chorus, Kingstom Town.
Surprising me, this album cracked the 7.5 barrier!

:metal

Coincidentally(maybe not) my fave albums from Vinnie’s era are with Pete Way  :metal

From reading Pete's book, he barely mentions You Are Here other to say that he fought a lot with Jason Bonham. Jason was newly sober, and Paul Raymond was also quite vocal to Pete about his issues. Pete was basically a heroin junkie at this point.

Pete also doesn't think very highly of The Monkey Puzzle. He says, "I was able to make just one more-and once again no-so-great-album with UFO: The Monkey Puzzle."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: November 08, 2020, 08:28:45 PM »
Harsh thoughts there from Pete regarding the album.  I like the honesty though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1706 on: November 08, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
It's amazing the guy lived until 2020.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: November 08, 2020, 09:03:37 PM »
It's amazing the guy lived until 2020.

I shouldn't laugh but that made me chuckle.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1708 on: November 08, 2020, 09:47:29 PM »
Halfway through Monkey and I'm not feeling it right now. I think this is an album I would enjoy, but I need to be in the mood for something like it. I do agree that it does have a UFO goes Aerosmith vibe to it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1709 on: November 09, 2020, 05:02:06 AM »
Another one to revisit as I'm not sure if I've ever heard this one. Probably sampled a few songs just because Vinnie.

Still need to give the last Schenker album a spin. Doing that now.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1710 on: November 09, 2020, 05:03:44 AM »
The Ride kicks off nicely but the singer sounds Japanese! Is he?
I'm assuming scandanavian form his name but this sounds like Vow Wow or something.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1711 on: November 09, 2020, 07:00:32 AM »
I don't see Monkey Puzzle on Spotify.... am I doing it right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1712 on: November 09, 2020, 07:43:02 AM »
I don't see Monkey Puzzle on Spotify.... am I doing it right?

It’s not on Spotify. It is on YouTube though.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1713 on: November 09, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
Got my copy of You Are Here today and, to my surprise, it contains the bonus track. Haven't listened to it yet. Turns out that they put out 2 versions at the same time with the same barcode and catalog number. One had the bonus and the other didn't. The seller filed it under the wrong entry.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1714 on: November 09, 2020, 04:11:51 PM »
So....an actual bonus track!  :D