Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143095 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Misdemeanor
« Reply #910 on: September 29, 2020, 06:10:09 PM »
I found this too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUqjTipdjuo

Chapman playing his guitar without a strap, incredible!!  :lol

Pretty sure I linked that too. ;D

Well, it's a lip synch show of the studio version.
You do recognize Billy Sheehan, right.

I'll skip ahead to the next one too as I have that on cd in that 2cd compilation thing.  One Night Only or One of Those Nights or whatever it's called.
I had to look this up.

Is this the Live In Texas '79 and the Lights Out In Tokyo '92 release?

The Live In Texas, is awesome. It was released as Parker's Birthday, and it includes the the Chapman/Raymond lineup on the Stroangers In The Night tour in March 1979.

And Hell yes on Lights Out In Tokyo. We'll get to that one next week.

We still have another Waysted album, a couple of Schenker albums, and Ain't Misbehavin' first.

Fuck, of course you did!!  :facepalm:  Yeah, I saw it was obviously lip synched.  :lol  And yeah, noticed Billy too, now I remember reading your words with Billy.  Sorry mate.

Ah, I didn't realise there was another album before High Stakes.  yeah, the compilation I have is this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_Those_Nights:_The_Anthology

Fucking weird.  Don't remember buying it or how much I paid for it.  Must have been a clearance album I'd say.

I'll hold off then since there's an album inbetween.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: September 29, 2020, 06:21:29 PM »
Wolf is officially an UFO fanatic  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #912 on: September 29, 2020, 06:59:35 PM »
  yeah, the compilation I have is this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_Those_Nights:_The_Anthology

Fucking weird. 

That is a fucking weird package. yes it includes High Stakes (along with the bonus track, a remake of Long Gone which is amazing!)

Then the live disc is half of the '79 show and half of the '92 show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #913 on: September 29, 2020, 07:06:01 PM »
June 14, 1986

STORYTIME!!!

I was so excited when it was announced that UFO would be playing at The Living Room in Providence on June 14, 1986. It would be a couple of weeks after I graduated high school. I was 17.

There were a number of obstacles.

First, I had to convince my parents, or my father really, to let me go. This was at a club. I had been to many concerts by this point, but none would be at a club, or this late at night.

Second, in Massachusetts, anyone under 18 could not drive after midnight. With it being so late, I can't remember exactly where my father stood on taking us. Before I got my license, my father would take us to Providence, and keep himself busy while me and my friends were in the Civic Center. We would always meet him at the same spot. I am so grateful for the many times he did this for me.

As luck would have it, a girl I worked with, who was a couple of years older than me, her husband was a big UFO fan. He was also 23. I had met him a few times. So I bought his ticket, and the plan was that he would drive my car home. So now I had convince my father to let some dude 6 years older than me, who he didn't know, to drive us home at 1:00 am.

I have NO IDEA how I pulled it off. I know my father respected and knew I had a real love of music. And I was a good kid. I made a promise to myself that day. No beers. No weed. And I held it.

We drove to downtown Providence in the afternoon. It was pretty early. Now there are many hotels in Providence. But right in the center, we decided to hang outside of The Biltmore. It was the nicest hotel in the city. Not sure why. Not sure how. But we did. Now this is going to sound unbelievable, but we couldn't have been out there more than 15-20 minutes, and out the front door walks fucking Phil Mogg! :omg:

He was cool. We chatted and he agreed to take a couple of pictures.

Two of my best friends are on the right, and the short guy with the glasses is the guy that drove us home. He's actually wearing a Mechanix tour shirt, which he would end up giving to me.

We probably hung around another hour or so. Bass player Paul Gray also came out and he freaking cool as hell.

A bit later on, the tour bus pulled up, and they all ran onto the bus. I did have a hotel postcard that went onto the bus, and someone handed it to me with all of their signatures, including Paul Raymond. Unfortunately, that has not survived. We followed the bus to the venue. They went in for soundcheck, and we went to grab a bite to eat. We were back so when the doors opened, we were first in line.
We got our spots right at the stage.

Even though it was really a bastardized version of UFO, it was still Phil Mogg, but having Paul Raymond meant a lot to me. Not only was he part of the Classic UFO lineup, but he is also instrumental on MSG.

It was a long day, but the payoff was UFO finally taking the stage. I smuggled my camera and two extra roles of film. Prettty sure they were 36 roles, and for many shows, I might get a handful of good shots per role. For this show, changing film twice during the show, I got so many great shots.

Apparently I would have a conversation with someone this night that would pay some UFO related dividends six years down the road....

Not including days with my kids, or days when I was a kid with my parents, June 14, 1986 would be a Top 5 Tim Only Day. The next day, after developing my pics, I simply could not believe the previous day went off as it did.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #914 on: September 29, 2020, 07:09:47 PM »
The Good The Bad The Waysted is another new album for me on listening. Wiki is where I have been getting information about songwriters and lineups from, whilst I listen from YouTube, so apologies if I posted wrong info previously.

Hang Em High… A standard opener, it could almost be a UFO outtake. This time Fin reminds me of Quireboys’ Spike. Typical Chapman outro

Hi Ho My Baby… Yep it’ll do.

Heaven Tonight… Piano intro along with Fin doing Mogg again. Understandable that this was a single, as it’s a bit more commercial, but not in a bad way.  Nice tune

Manuel… This has a more atmospheric intro before the mid tempo main song. Nice change of tempo for the outro with Chapman blazing away.

Dead On Your Legs… A slightly slower tempo reminds me of The Faces again (or even The Stones?)

Rolling Out The Dice… Another good Way driven song. Nice solo

Land That’s Lost The Love… The best song on the album IMO, with a tasteful Chapman midway through.

Crazy Bout The Stuff… Sinister slow tempo start before rocking again. Fin reminds me of Ozzy in the slow parts.

Around And Around… This Chuck Berry cover is better than the Airplane one. Having fun again in the vein of Mystery Train.

A solid album without a bad song. However I feel the EP was slightly better. I don't have a problem with Fin generally, he suits the grittiness of the production. Waysted know what they like to play and there’s not much straying from their chosen path. Good for them.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #915 on: September 29, 2020, 07:15:41 PM »
The Good The Bad The Waysted is another new album for me on listening. Wiki is where I have been getting information about songwriters and lineups from, whilst I listen from YouTube, so apologies if I posted wrong info previously.

Hang Em High… A standard opener, it could almost be a UFO outtake. This time Fin reminds me of Quireboys’ Spike. Typical Chapman outro

Hi Ho My Baby… Yep it’ll do.

Heaven Tonight… Piano intro along with Fin doing Mogg again. Understandable that this was a single, as it’s a bit more commercial, but not in a bad way.  Nice tune

Manuel… This has a more atmospheric intro before the mid tempo main song. Nice change of tempo for the outro with Chapman blazing away.

Dead On Your Legs… A slightly slower tempo reminds me of The Faces again (or even The Stones?)

Rolling Out The Dice… Another good Way driven song. Nice solo

Land That’s Lost The Love… The best song on the album IMO, with a tasteful Chapman midway through.

Crazy Bout The Stuff… Sinister slow tempo start before rocking again. Fin reminds me of Ozzy in the slow parts.

Around And Around… This Chuck Berry cover is better than the Airplane one. Having fun again in the vein of Mystery Train.

A solid album without a bad song. However I feel the EP was slightly better. I don't have a problem with Fin generally, he suits the grittiness of the production. Waysted know what they like to play and there’s not much straying from their chosen path. Good for them.

Quireboy's Spike is Phil's nephew.

Land That's Lost the Love is amazing.

Heaven Tonight is fantastic, and would be given a much more commercial spin on the next album.

Dead On Your Legs (great Faces reference BTW) is the ultimate keg party song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: September 29, 2020, 07:33:04 PM »
Awesome pictures  :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #917 on: September 29, 2020, 07:39:28 PM »
... and AWESOME story! :o :metal :metal :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: September 29, 2020, 07:41:36 PM »
 :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: September 29, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »
Don't forget everyone to take note of Tim's ensemble in those pictures.  What a fashion superstar!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #920 on: September 29, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
Don't forget everyone to take note of Tim's ensemble in those pictures.  What a fashion superstar!!

:rollin

Come at me! :lol

That's some gorgeous hair!! :lol :lol
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:50:49 PM by TAC »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #921 on: September 29, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
I'm more curious to know why Paul has a Frogger game on his outfit?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #922 on: September 29, 2020, 08:03:31 PM »
A Frogger game?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #923 on: September 29, 2020, 08:07:08 PM »
Tim, the least metal pictures I've ever seen of you.

Yet, I can't make fun of you.  Skeletons in my closet.   Loo
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #924 on: September 29, 2020, 08:08:27 PM »
We wore the same wig in 1986! :lol :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: September 29, 2020, 08:08:44 PM »
Hey not knocking mate.  I told you I was jealous of your hair.  ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: September 29, 2020, 08:32:22 PM »
Even George Costanza would say screw it to Frogger and acknowledge those great pictures and story  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #927 on: September 29, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
I still don't know the Frogger connection.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: September 29, 2020, 08:43:05 PM »
Here’s your pizza pea brains

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #929 on: September 29, 2020, 08:43:06 PM »
His outfit has solid black lines that look like the places that the Frog can stop and then the little black lines are the things floating by that he jumps on. It's just the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Not quite the same, but it is just a weird looking outfit.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: September 29, 2020, 08:48:00 PM »
Here’s your pizza pea brains

I think I remember why we stopped coming here.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: September 29, 2020, 08:49:13 PM »
 :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #932 on: September 29, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
I don't get it. Another Seinfeld reference?? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: September 29, 2020, 09:00:39 PM »
Oh Thanks. That’ll save us.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: September 29, 2020, 09:05:56 PM »
Alright, make it large sodas.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: September 29, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
The perfect combination of Mountain Dew and mozzarella....just the right amount of grease on the joystick

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #936 on: September 30, 2020, 02:03:15 AM »
Tim, I so want to make fun of the shorts that you're wearing in those pics, but that story is just too great to smear. Besides, I lived through the 80's and there are quite a few embarrassing photos to prove it. I remember one in particular with a fat little punk wearing a VH 1984 shirt and parachute pants.

I've got a story of my own to share later on in this thread. Unfortunately, no pictures to prove it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #937 on: September 30, 2020, 07:24:18 AM »
Paul is enjoying a Miller High Life, the champagne of beers.  My new favorite UFO member!  :)

And I too am in zero position to make fun of anyone's 80's attire or hair.   ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #938 on: September 30, 2020, 06:15:04 PM »
Paul is enjoying a Miller High Life, the champagne of beers.  My new favorite UFO member!  :)

And I too am in zero position to make fun of anyone's 80's attire or hair.   ;)

I have to say, that he was cool as hall.

OK, so I slipped in The Good The Bad The Waysted. I hope you all get a chance to spin it. I'm going to speed things up, as there are two more related albums released before Ain't Misbehavin', which is easily the low point in UFO's discography.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #939 on: September 30, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
Save Your Prayers

UK Cover

US Cover

https://open.spotify.com/album/4FkBHesvBW4E3cX89PLX86?si=kdNsZqP8T-iU34Jjvt9hOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTtaEEF2Eks

Released

Walls Fall Down
Black & Blue
Singing To The Night
Hell Comes Home
Heroes Die Young
Heaven Tonight
How The West Was Won
Wild Night
Out Of Control
So Long

Pete Way-Bass
Paul Chapman-Guiter
Danny Vaughan-Vocals
Johnny Deteodoro-Drums

Pete remade the band once again, as Fin would end up leaving in a dispute. Jimmy DiLella, the keyboard player on TGTBTW, knew a couple of American guys, singer Danny Vaughan and drummer Johnny Deteodoro. Danny has a great voice, very AOR/Hair Metalish. The album, Save Your Prayers would sound a lot more polished and commercial.
Waysted would score an opening slot on Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time tour. Sounds great, but Pete laments the fact that they should've gone out with a more hair metalish band, say a Def Leppard. What Waysted were selling at the time, simply didn't resonate with American audiences pumped up to see Maiden.

I was originally bummed that Fin was no longer in the band. But I came to really love this album. I mean, musically, it's basically a UFO album..kind of.
Danny's vocals on this album are absolutely fantastic.

I actually bought this on import, so I have the cool cover with Pete sitting there. The US cover is gag worthy if you ask me.

Heaven Tonight Promo video

Nice live show..
Waysted Sheffield December 1986

I actually saw Waysted open for Iron Maiden on this tour. Yeah, other than a large group assembled in front of Pete, and another (where I was) in front of Paul, the crowd really wasn't paying attention.

I did take some pictures (I've posted these before...)

March 30, 1987
Providence Civic Center

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: September 30, 2020, 06:22:03 PM »
Cool ass pics as usual mate.  I will get onto both of these Waysted albums.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #941 on: September 30, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
Going  back to TGTBTW, I think it’s better than the first one and the EP (which are cool). No surprise, there's Paul Chapman on it. By the way, anyone thinks that the chorus of Crazy 'bout the stuff reminds VH's DOA? 
But my favorite is still Save Your Prayers, no doubt. Although more commercial, it has better songs, production and vocalist. Chapman is smoking in the entire album, maybe it's my favorite of his, as guitar player. I love Out of Control, Heroes Die Young e Heaven Tonight – I like better this version and its guitar solos are between my favorites of Paul Chapman. This song should be one of that timeless classic rock songs, as popular as Don't Stop Believin (or something like that) IMO.
By the way, nice US cover (I never saw it before)!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #942 on: September 30, 2020, 06:41:35 PM »
Cool ass pics as usual mate.  I will get onto both of these Waysted albums.

Thank you!

I did mentioned they opened for Iron Maiden...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #943 on: September 30, 2020, 06:46:16 PM »
Going  back to TGTBTW, I think it’s better than the first one and the EP (which are cool). No surprise, there's Paul Chapman on it. By the way, anyone thinks that the chorus of Crazy 'bout the stuff reminds VH's DOA?
But my favorite is still Save Your Prayers, no doubt. Although more commercial, it has better songs, production and vocalist. Chapman is smoking in the entire album, maybe it's my favorite of his, as guitar player. I love Out of Control, Heroes Die Young e Heaven Tonight – I like better this version and its guitar solos are between my favorites of Paul Chapman. This song should be one of that timeless classic rock songs, as popular as Don't Stop Believin (or something like that) IMO.
By the way, nice US cover (I never saw it before)!

For Save You Prayers, I was really suspicious of the "Americanization" of Waysted. But I quickly learned to love this album. Obviously still having Paul Chapman in the band was huge to me, so you basically had the music of UFO. And Danny, while I never followed his post Waysted career, is AMAZING on this. It's one of my all time favorite vocal performances.

And TGTBTW is quite simply one of my all time favorite albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #944 on: September 30, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »
I will get onto both of these Waysted albums.

While TGTBTW is cool as hell, I really expect you to like Save Your Prayers. I'm sure you'll recognize both Danny and Johnny from their post Waysted Bands. Danny went on to form Tyketto, and John Deteodoro shortened his name to Johnny Dee and became the drummer for Britny Fox.