Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147932 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Misdemeanor
« Reply #875 on: September 28, 2020, 11:36:31 PM »
I didn't hear Misdemeanor until I bought the box set a few years ago. I can't get past that mid-80s synth sound, but there are some songs I like. Name of Love, Blue and Heavens Gate are decent.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #876 on: September 29, 2020, 03:52:26 AM »
Damn this production isn't great.  But it's 80's as it comes so I'll forgive it.  But yeah, this treble has been turned to 11.

I made it to Meanstreets so far and that's a cracker of a tune, definitely the best so far.  The first few were okay.  I can hear this definitely shouldn't have been a UFO album.  Does sound like a typical 80's style solo album.

I don't mind this though.  Doesn't have the magic of MC but will check the rest later.

Side two is MILES better, just so you know. Meanstreets is a great tune. It rocks big time. I also really like Night Run and its use of backing vocals.

To me, the best tunes are Name Of Love (nice solo here) and Wreckless. followed by Heaven's Gate and Meanstreets.

I love the beginning of Dream The Dream. Paul Raymond has some nice subtle keyboards . Has a great Americana feel to it. The track never really climaxes though.

Loving the helmet hair in that 2nd pic. Yikes!  :lol

Thought we lost you, Prof.

Yeah, that was the back cover photo. Ridiculous look on Mogg, of all people.

No love for Night Run? I love that tune.
Yes the treble is to the max and the production/mix definitely drags it down a bit and leaves it a bit one dimensional, but these songs are great. Tommy M widdles away nicely.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: September 29, 2020, 05:07:09 AM »
So the second half is WAY better than the first half.  Really nice AOR but this isn't UFO.  This is more like FM or something.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #878 on: September 29, 2020, 06:08:29 AM »
By 85, our crowd had dispersed a bit. Therefore LP buying became more selective, and I didn’t immediately buy Misdemeanor. Then watching The Tube (UK live music series), UFO were introduced. Of course I knew they had regrouped, but I read somewhere it was to be more of a Phil Mogg project with different players, until Chrysalis wanted to release it as UFO. Sounds familiar, yes? Mogg and co mixing it up live and doing a very good job, definitely disturbed the alt/plastic music gang. They played This Time and Night Run IIRC, and caught my ear enough for me to buy the album; it became a favourite for a while. This is not however, the beloved UFO of old, nor is it the tired band of Making Contact days. I prefer to think of it as a reboot, a sort of parallel to classic Yes vs. 90125.

This Time… A great opener and immediately sets the blueprint for the LP. Yes, Tommy M’s guitar is way too trebly, but I got used to it then, and same now. Perhaps a bit too widdly for UFO, but imagine if Malmsteen had joined. Keyboards very up front but it’s good have Raymond back, even if this isn’t quite his sound. Paul Gray does a great job as co-writer on this album and Mogg has stamped his unique identity everywhere.

One Heart… Heavier than NR. The drums are also typical 80s, but the song is good enough.

Night Run… 80s swirly keyboards but I love this song. It was one of the highlights for me 30+ years ago, and still is, maybe thanks to the harmony vocals in the chorus.

The Only Ones… Vintage Mogg vocals, with a slower tempo. Even Gray’s bass is a bit trebly, but fitting. Someone mentioned Power Windows era Rush? A memorable chorus. I like this tune.

Meanstreets… The heaviest so far, and first to truly feature Tommy M’s guitar; a nod back to days gone by, with a bit of EVH influence. Great tune.

Name of Love… More guitar again (Lifeson sounding first solo) but a little less ballsy (if the production allows on this album). Another good tune.

Blue… Another good song.

Dream the Dream… Slower tempo, with some good bass. Not a favourite though and could have been any AOR band from this era, especially with the now annoying snare.

Heavens Gate… Heavier intro gives way to This Time style keyboards, but it’s still better than the last song. Another widdly guitar solo is starting to leave me a little tired.

Wreckless… Bluesy intro gives way to a standard mid tempo rocker. However this song is average. Tommy tries to impersonate Yngwie for a while; shame he’s not more tuneful.

I was little surprised at the Rush stylings this time, as I never noticed them when I got the album. Many times the only link to what we know as UFO is Mogg’s voice. I still like this album and perhaps because of the production, feels like a breath of fresh air. Certainly this time, they’re playing with conviction. However this is not really UFO. It’s a product of its time, like MC, although that album sounded a bit more like UFO. Now it’s back on my radar though, I’m likely to play again. But it’s no classic.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: September 29, 2020, 06:16:54 AM »
Tim wasn't kidding about the Power Windows vibe on Blue.  That's straight Middletown Dreams.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #880 on: September 29, 2020, 07:11:04 AM »
I always felt the US Mix had added keyboards. I don't think I've ever completely listened to it.  :lol

A quick needle drop. They really just lowered the guitars and the drums. Fair enough. But to me, there are no guitars where they used to be, and are seemingly replaced by raised keyboards. I prefer the UK mix, even if I have to play with my audio knobs.

Man, if you think about it too much, it's easy to get a complex about what the British think of Americans.  :)   UFO, MSG, Whitesnake, Nektar and Rainbow ALL had "US Mixes" and "UK Mixes", and while I still have to compare the UFO ones, I prefer the UK mixes every time.  I don't MIND keyboards - Rush - but it just seems that they get used so...  gratuitously on these remixes.

Also, in the Chrysalis compilation I have, Mogg is asked about Raymond leaving (when he went to MSG) and his answer was something to the effect of "that's ok, we'll save a ton of money on eyeliner!" (that sounds dickish, but in the inteview, most of his answers are quippy one-liners so it didn't stick out as much).

Also, I read an interview with Gary Barden last night that confirmed that they kept Bonnet's background vocals on the redone "Dancer" and "Desert Song" cuts. 

Finally, I recall seeing a slight debate on-line about the cover for Misdemeanor; I guess some thought that was a man in drag (hair on the arms or some shit) and Atomik Tommy even weighed in that he always thought it was a girl.   Not that this is of any importance, but I thought it sort of funny that the guy taking over for Schenker and Chapman gets to answer questions about the album cover model.   :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #881 on: September 29, 2020, 07:53:29 AM »
It just needs the guitars turning up and the keys down and it would sound like UFO to me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: September 29, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
So.... catching up.   I listened to the Waysted EP and...

I'm loathe to badmouth anything that someone is really keen on, since taste is taste.   I liked this not loved it.   I think part of it was "Spotify"; I could very easily see myself in my car with the windows down cranking this on cassette, as I very much did with MSG back in the day (relevant, as you'll see).

My big problem with this, 36 years later, is the vocals.   I know, I'm a Barden fan, so I can't complain about singers, but in hindsight, I listen to Fin and I'm like "that's Brian Johnson!  That's Phil Lewis! That's Cowboy Mach Bell!  That's the dude from The Bullet Boys!"  It's just so generic.    But the songs are great, and especially Cinderella Boys.  After the slow part I wanted SO BAD for the singer to have a little "smooth" to his voice, like Mogg; Mogg would have sang the absolute FUCK out of Cinderella Boys.   Then Ball And Chain comes on - excellent - and he DOES sing in a smoother voice, exactly what I was looking for.   

I get it, they aren't singing for me, it's just my preference, but so be it. 

I'm starting Misdemeanor now and we'll see; you can have balls and heart with keyboards, but this seems to be missing that a little.   Phil needs a little grit to sing over!   :)   Here he sounds like John Waite! Was "This Time" on the St. Elmo's Fire Soundtrack?   :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #883 on: September 29, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
Night Run… 80s swirly keyboards but I love this song. It was one of the highlights for me 30+ years ago, and still is, maybe thanks to the harmony vocals in the chorus.

I remember being on a double date in high school and blasting this song. In the chorus, I was singing the Mogg part and everyone one else in the car was doing the background vocals. It's a great song, with excellent lyrics.

So.... catching up.   I listened to the Waysted EP and...

I'm loathe to badmouth anything that someone is really keen on, since taste is taste.   I liked this not loved it.   I think part of it was "Spotify"; I could very easily see myself in my car with the windows down cranking this on cassette, as I very much did with MSG back in the day (relevant, as you'll see).

My big problem with this, 36 years later, is the vocals.   I know, I'm a Barden fan, so I can't complain about singers, but in hindsight, I listen to Fin and I'm like "that's Brian Johnson!  That's Phil Lewis! That's Cowboy Mach Bell!  That's the dude from The Bullet Boys!"  It's just so generic.    But the songs are great, and especially Cinderella Boys.  After the slow part I wanted SO BAD for the singer to have a little "smooth" to his voice, like Mogg; Mogg would have sang the absolute FUCK out of Cinderella Boys.   Then Ball And Chain comes on - excellent - and he DOES sing in a smoother voice, exactly what I was looking for.   

Fin does have a Brian Johnson feel. But Phil Lewis? Bulletboys? Ouch. That hurts..

I don't find it generic at all. It fits the music perfectly.

Anyway, just for that, here's a whole album's worth... ;D

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #884 on: September 29, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »
The Good The Bad The Waysted

https://open.spotify.com/album/6LK2Q2GcwPkH25gPmST2Nx?si=wCgOo2PYSA6VQ_4ssYm5aQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_WbmCrjIE4

Released 1985

Hang 'Em High
Hi Ho My Baby
Heaven Tonight
Manuel
Dead On Your Legs
Rolling Out The Dice
Land That's Lost The Love
Crazy 'Bout The Stuff
Around And Around

Pete Way-Bass
Paul Chapman-Guiter
Fin-Vocals

Jerry Shirley-Drums
Jimmy DiLella-Keyboards

I'd be hardpressed to find an album that I listened to more than I did this one in the mid 80's. Despite a sharp production, it was great to have Paul Chapman and Pete Way working together. This album is loaded with great tunes that totally kick ass.
Heaven Tonight and Manuel are the two best tracks.

I used a quote from this album for my high school yearbook picture (Class of '86 BTW)
From Land That's Lost The Love:
"Try everything twice just in case there was something that you missed.
Don't say I know know it all, but I tell you, hey, I've been through the list"

Jerry Shirley is fantastic on this as the drums are really powerful on this album.

I realize nobody will like this album as much as I do, but I hope you all give it a listen.
Seems the youtube link has the EP at the end.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #885 on: September 29, 2020, 01:43:53 PM »
The thing is, with Misdemeanor and the Waysted albums, was that when I got into UFO, they were done. Then suddenly their members start releasing albums. I was all in on this stuff. But the thing is, I liked it all. If I had never heard the Waysted albums before, sure going back in time, I'm not sure how I would respond. But being a fan when these albums were released, these were huge things for me.

Heck, I even had the Tarzen album that Danny Peyronel released, also released in 1985.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:51:28 PM by TAC »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #886 on: September 29, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »
The Waysted is on the list for tomorrow, or later tonight if my Mrs decides to rot her brain with Love Island again 😀

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #887 on: September 29, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
WTF is Love Island? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #888 on: September 29, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »

Don’t tell me you don’t watch it. Televised narcissistis manipulating each other. Pretty sure it’s an American invention.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #889 on: September 29, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »

Don’t tell me you don’t watch it. Televised narcissistis manipulating each other. Pretty sure it’s an American invention.

I don't watch TV. I have no idea. Seems I'm not missing anything..

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #890 on: September 29, 2020, 02:20:33 PM »

I don't watch TV. I have no idea. Seems I'm not missing anything..

Indeed you are not.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: September 29, 2020, 02:46:39 PM »

I remember being on a double date in high school and blasting this song. In the chorus, I was singing the Mogg part and everyone one else in the car was doing the background vocals. It's a great song, with excellent lyrics.

Yes it is; Phil kills that song.     And your friend Billy IS one of a kind.  :) :)
No knock on Tommy, but I'd love to hear Paul play that one.

Fin does have a Brian Johnson feel. But Phil Lewis? Bulletboys? Ouch. That hurts..

I don't find it generic at all. It fits the music perfectly.

Anyway, just for that, here's a whole album's worth... ;D

Yeah, the Phil Lewis was a cheap shot.  Sorry.   :) :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: September 29, 2020, 02:50:04 PM »
The thing is, with Misdemeanor and the Waysted albums, was that when I got into UFO, they were done. Then suddenly their members start releasing albums. I was all in on this stuff. But the thing is, I liked it all. If I had never heard the Waysted albums before, sure going back in time, I'm not sure how I would respond. But being a fan when these albums were released, these were huge things for me.

I was trying to capture that when commenting on the EP above.  I TOTALLY get that feeling.   I have plenty of albums that are exactly like that: the Kiss solo albums, for one, Built To Destroy for another, the first Twisted Sister album...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: September 29, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »

Boobies, though, if the ads are to be believed.

Supposedly, my boss's wife, who I've never met, has a friend, who I've also never met and whose name I do not know, that is/was on that show.   Supposedly, at least in her case, there's not a stitch of acting going on. That's her, in all her glory as a person.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #894 on: September 29, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »
Supposedly, my boss's wife, who I've never met, has a friend, who I've also never met and whose name I do not know, that is/was on that show.   Supposedly, at least in her case, there's not a stitch of acting going on. That's her, in all her glory as a person.

You sure about that? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #895 on: September 29, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »
Also, in the Chrysalis compilation I have, Mogg is asked about Raymond leaving (when he went to MSG) and his answer was something to the effect of "that's ok, we'll save a ton of money on eyeliner!" (that sounds dickish, but in the inteview, most of his answers are quippy one-liners so it didn't stick out as much).

He and Mogg had a tiff, and he found himself out of the band. In Pete Way's book, Pete says he was fired by "Phil or the Manager".
Apparently Paul Raymond could be a bit outspoken, if that can be believed.

Raymond also walked off the Misdemeanor US tour too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: September 29, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
I was youtubing some UFO last night and there's a great pro shot hour long concert from the Misdemenor tour that I skipped through.  Is mostly just the album live but Tommy shreds.  It's a good watch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #897 on: September 29, 2020, 03:40:38 PM »
I was youtubing some UFO last night and there's a great pro shot hour long concert from the Misdemenor tour that I skipped through.  Is mostly just the album live but Tommy shreds.  It's a good watch.

I posted that at the bottom of the Misdemeanor post.. ;D

This show was recorded in Oxford on the UK tour. It was released on VHS as Misdemeanor live. Phil seems pretty out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSnDDjB3ig&t=1s

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: September 29, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
I did all that searching for nothing.  :facepalm:

Phil sings pretty good here though.  Brings to life some of the songs more too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: September 29, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
I was mainly searching for something from the MC tour.

You probably posted it but the other one I came across was I think Dortmund 1980.  Got a good look at Paul on some songs here.  I liked his style.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #900 on: September 29, 2020, 03:55:11 PM »

You probably posted it but the other one I came across was I think Dortmund 1980.  Got a good look at Paul on some songs here.  I liked his style.

Yes, I did post it!

I actually have that DVD and CD. It's really nice. It has Neil Carter on it, just before WWI was released.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: September 29, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »

Yes, I did post it!

I actually have that DVD and CD. It's really nice. It has Neil Carter on it, just before WWI was released.

Haha thought it was him.  Sorry, I am paying attention, I just like feeling the album out first then going back for extras.  I'll make sure I go back to your posts before searching myself.

That Dortmund show is high quality though.  I liked Chapmans take on Rock Bottom.  Really held his own.

One thing I didn't really like was his change up of that beautiful melody in the middle of Love to Love.  He should have kept that the same.  I did like his take on the out to solo though.  That one long bent note he holds at the end of the solo is awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #902 on: September 29, 2020, 04:31:47 PM »
I think the difference is when Schenker plays it, you're at a performance, but when Chapman plays those songs, you're at a damn Rock Concert! :metal

The straightforward Schenker tunes like Too Hot, OYCRM, and Shoot Shoot, even Doctor Doctor. Those songs just feel a bit more kick ass live with Chapman.

Check out that last Waysted album. Paul Chapman is rally good on it even though the tone is a bit sharp.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: September 29, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
Alright will do mate.  Will have to load it up tomorrow now though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Chapman as much as Shenker I think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #904 on: September 29, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »
Alright will do mate.  Will have to load it up tomorrow now though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Chapman as much as Shenker I think.

I'm glad to hear it.

Yeah, if you like Chapman, we have this Waysted album and the next one, plus some cool concert pics I took. ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: September 29, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »
Nice.

Chapman did have a very cool rock n roll stage presence too.  I'm liking him a lot.

I listened to Making Contact again in the car this morning.... :blush  I'm in love with it I think.

I'll definitely pick up the 10cd set.  This is a wonderful, underrated band truthfully.  A hidden gem.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #906 on: September 29, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
Nice.

Chapman did have a very cool rock n roll stage presence too.  I'm liking him a lot.

I listened to Making Contact again in the car this morning.... :blush  I'm in love with it I think.

I'll definitely pick up the 10cd set.  This is a wonderful, underrated band truthfully.  A hidden gem.

:metal

We're only halfway through the thread! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: September 29, 2020, 05:48:50 PM »
I'll skip ahead to the next one too as I have that on cd in that 2cd compilation thing.  One Night Only or One of Those Nights or whatever it's called.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: September 29, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »
I found this too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUqjTipdjuo

Chapman playing his guitar without a strap, incredible!!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #909 on: September 29, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »
I found this too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUqjTipdjuo

Chapman playing his guitar without a strap, incredible!!  :lol

Pretty sure I linked that too. ;D

Well, it's a lip synch show of the studio version.
You do recognize Billy Sheehan, right.

I'll skip ahead to the next one too as I have that on cd in that 2cd compilation thing.  One Night Only or One of Those Nights or whatever it's called.
I had to look this up.

Is this the Live In Texas '79 and the Lights Out In Tokyo '92 release?

The Live In Texas, is awesome. It was released as Parker's Birthday, and it includes the the Chapman/Raymond lineup on the Stroangers In The Night tour in March 1979.

And Hell yes on Lights Out In Tokyo. We'll get to that one next week.

We still have another Waysted album, a couple of Schenker albums, and Ain't Misbehavin' first.