Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147933 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Making Contact
« Reply #840 on: September 28, 2020, 10:28:22 AM »
Yeah, if that's the CD you have, it's easy to confuse. The EP has:
Neil Shepard on guitars and Andy Parker on drums.

TGTBTW has Paul Chapman on guitar and Jerry Shirley on drums.

The live album I linked was done right after the EP, and Chapman is on that. So for that one live release, which is the band opening for Iron Maiden, the band is Chapman/Way/Parker on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #841 on: September 28, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »
So I'm catching up while at work, listening to Making Contact, with the Waysted records up next.

I will offer this: I think I'm far more "tolerant" of "radio friendly" than most are.  Maybe it's because I'm a melody guy; I love a song I can sing along to and I don't mind keyboards.  There is a line though; Built To Destroy didn't cross it (though I prefer the UK mix), but the future releases did (I basically dropped Michael Schenker like a cheating whore girlfriend after RWND, and to this day, the only MSG I have that isn't Barden/Bonnet is the first Schenkerfest record and even then, it's half Barden/Bonnet).  But I think Built To Destroy is a really good record, and it's actually one I go back to fairly frequently.  I don't remember the live album; I'll be revisiting that one as well. There's also a song called "Don't Take It Out On Me" from a compilation I have that I really like; I can't seem to find it on YouTube.

I'm really digging Making Contact.   I don't know that it's Mechanix level, but it's got a character to it that I like.   I'm thinking that generally I just like Phil Mogg's voice.  The first three songs are vintage Chapman-era UFO.  I like the feel of "You And Me".   I have such a mixed feeling of When It's Time To Rock; I love the outro, I can do without the chant-y chorus.  I've got to wait for my meetings to finish before I comment on the rest! 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #842 on: September 28, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
Awesome post Bill!

Where are you on Doogie White? Did you like the Rainbow album he did?

I think the two albums he did with Michael are Schenker's best albums since the classic era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: September 28, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »
Awesome post Bill!

I think the two albums he did with Michael are Schenker's best albums since the classic era.

Hmmmm. My jury is out on Doogie White.  I've read interviews and he seems a real likable guy.   The Rainbow album is "eh", though I'm due for a revisit.    I like not love his stuff on the Resurrection disk, and he was solid live, but he just seemed SO not interested.   I don't want to hate him, but I haven't gotten anything to really, flat out LOVE about him, either. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #844 on: September 28, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
Awesome post Bill!

Hmmmm. My jury is out on Doogie White.  I've read interviews and he seems a real likable guy.   The Rainbow album is "eh", though I'm due for a revisit.    I like not love his stuff on the Resurrection disk, and he was solid live, but he just seemed SO not interested.   I don't want to hate him, but I haven't gotten anything to really, flat out LOVE about him, either.

I've seen a few of you guys mention Doogie's demeanor during that tour, and it's the same impression that I got at the Cleveland show. I'm not sure if he was simply in a bad place mentally at the time, or if it's just the way that he appears by the way he carries himself.

I do think that he was in a tough spot on that tour. The people (generalization) weren't there to see his part of the show for the most part.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #845 on: September 28, 2020, 12:05:18 PM »
I really regret not seeing that incarnation of Rainbow in the mid 90's. It was a rough time in my life, and I usually looked at those things like Ritchie and a bunch of dudes as Rainbow as kind of a farce.

I would hate to see Michael lose Doogie over the MS Fest thing. Bridge The Gap and Spirit On A Mission are Michael's best albums since the early 80's.

I loved this pic I took at the MS Fest show at Berklee.

It's like the ghost of Doogie with a Death To Barden look on his face. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: September 28, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
Can't get enough of You and Me.  So fucking moody and haunting.  Great storytelling too.  And I keep listening to that middle section over and over.  Almost brings tears to my eyes.

What? A big tough Aussie nearly brought to tears by a song? Say it isn't so  :lol

Is that why you listen to the growlie stuff? Scared to shed a tear?  :biggrin:

Not really haha, but it's emotional as fuck.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: September 28, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
I really regret not seeing that incarnation of Rainbow in the mid 90's. It was a rough time in my life, and I usually looked at those things like Ritchie and a bunch of dudes as Rainbow as kind of a farce.

I would hate to see Michael lose Doogie over the MS Fest thing. Bridge The Gap and Spirit On A Mission are Michael's best albums since the early 80's.

I loved this pic I took at the MS Fest show at Berklee.

It's like the ghost of Doogie with a Death To Barden look on his face. :lol

Me too; on any given day, not seeing Rainbow when I could is a huge concert regret.  Blackmore is my favorite guitarist, and even though I'm at around 350 concerts now, I've NEVER seen Blackmore electric (I've seen Blackmore's Night three times, and would go again in a heartbeat).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: September 28, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »
Will try and have a listen to the Waysted EP.

How does this live MSG album compare to Budokan?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #849 on: September 28, 2020, 02:34:03 PM »
How does this live MSG album compare to Budokan?
In my opinion, of course..

Definitely not as good. The songs are stronger on Budokan, as it's the production. Plus there's way more keyboards on it. Still, it's a worthy live album.

Me too; on any given day, not seeing Rainbow when I could is a huge concert regret.  Blackmore is my favorite guitarist, and even though I'm at around 350 concerts now, I've NEVER seen Blackmore electric (I've seen Blackmore's Night three times, and would go again in a heartbeat).

How in the heck did you not see them in the 80's?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #850 on: September 28, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor (1985)

Released November 1985 (UK)
March 1986 (USA)

1. This Time
2. One Heart
3. Night Run
4. The Only Ones
5. Meanstreets
6. Name Of Love
7. Blue
8. Dream The Dream
9. Heavens Gate
10. Wreckless
11. The Chase

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Tommy (Atomik Tommy M) McClendon-Guitar
Paul Gray-Bass
Jim Simpson-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar

In 1984, Phil Mogg was looking to start a new band. Paul Gray, left over from the previous tour was with him, as was American guitarist Tommy (Atomic Tommy M) McClendon. On drums was former Diamond Head drummer Robbie France. They did a brief tour and even had a promo pic:

Gray, Mogg, Tommy, France

France would be replaced by Magnum drummer Jim Simpson and Paul Raymond would be added to the lineup that would record Misdemeanor.

Simpson, Tommy, Mogg, Raymond, Gray

Phil's intention was to not call the band UFO. It was actually called Lost Parade. I had a great picture of their tour bus with Lost Parade on the sign on the outside of the front of the bus, but I cannot find it. I remember reading that and it explained the sign on the bus....

Anyway, leave it to Chrysalis to try and cash in on the name.

The album was released in November of '85 in England, but a remixed keyboard (even) heavier laden US version was released about six months later in the States.

Not sure what to make of Tommy's guitar playing. He has such a shrill tone to it. He seems pretty good though. Songwise, this album is the definition of half killer half filler. But there's some great tunes here..
Name Of Love, Heaven's Gate, Wreckless, Meanstreets, all excellent.
I also really like Night Run.

But I skip the first two songs every time I listen to this album. The rest is pretty good. I remember finding this in the import bin in 1985 so I had the first version. I played the hell out of it. I thought the songs basically followed the UFO formula, even with an 80's sound. For obvious reasons, people didn't consider this a real UFO album, but I was fine with it as it was.

This show was recorded in Oxford on the UK tour. It was released on VHS as Misdemeanor live. Phil seems pretty out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSnDDjB3ig&t=1s

I actually saw UFO on this tour.. more on that later.

EDIT:
I should add, however you listen to this album, you must do two things.
1. Turn the bass up
2. Turn the treble down

The production on this album is so shrill.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:51:21 PM by TAC »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Misdemeanor
« Reply #851 on: September 28, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
I listened to this last week and really enjoyed it. It definitely should be a Phil Mogg solo album, but I thought there were some great songs and great playing by McClendon. Not a fan of his overly bright guitar tone, but there was a lot of that sort of thing going on in the '80's. I hope to listen to it again soon.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #852 on: September 28, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »
I listened to this last week and really enjoyed it. It definitely should be a Phil Mogg solo album, but I thought there were some great songs and great playing by McClendon. Not a fan of his overly bright guitar tone, but there was a lot of that sort of thing going on in the '80's. I hope to listen to it again soon.

Oh wow! Nice, Gregg!

I've worried about this album in the context of this thread. When this came out, I loved it, and listened to this big time. I think the songs are really solid. I mean, One Heart might be one of the worst UFO tracks, but other than that, this is pretty good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: September 28, 2020, 04:01:30 PM »
Tim, do you rate this higher than MC?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #854 on: September 28, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
Tim, do you rate this higher than MC?

I rate them pretty similarly.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: September 28, 2020, 04:33:18 PM »
Getting this one loaded up for this mornings commute.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #856 on: September 28, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »
Turn your treble down! :lol

Start on Meanstreets, and hit the second half first.

The first 30 seconds of Blue sounds as if it comes right off of Power Windows.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:00:14 PM by TAC »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: September 28, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
Damn this production isn't great.  But it's 80's as it comes so I'll forgive it.  But yeah, this treble has been turned to 11.

I made it to Meanstreets so far and that's a cracker of a tune, definitely the best so far.  The first few were okay.  I can hear this definitely shouldn't have been a UFO album.  Does sound like a typical 80's style solo album.

I don't mind this though.  Doesn't have the magic of MC but will check the rest later.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #858 on: September 28, 2020, 05:20:51 PM »
Loving the helmet hair in that 2nd pic. Yikes!  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: September 28, 2020, 05:21:35 PM »
Damn this production isn't great.  But it's 80's as it comes so I'll forgive it.  But yeah, this treble has been turned to 11.

I made it to Meanstreets so far and that's a cracker of a tune, definitely the best so far.  The first few were okay.  I can hear this definitely shouldn't have been a UFO album.  Does sound like a typical 80's style solo album.

I don't mind this though.  Doesn't have the magic of MC but will check the rest later.

This sounds like a “solid” review to me

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: September 28, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »

This sounds like a “solid” review to me

I think your assumption is solid.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: September 28, 2020, 05:31:57 PM »

It's astounding how many bands followed the 80's trend, changing their sound and look during that time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #862 on: September 28, 2020, 06:01:39 PM »

Side two is MILES better, just so you know. Meanstreets is a great tune. It rocks big time. I also really like Night Run and its use of backing vocals.

To me, the best tunes are Name Of Love (nice solo here) and Wreckless. followed by Heaven's Gate and Meanstreets.

I love the beginning of Dream The Dream. Paul Raymond has some nice subtle keyboards . Has a great Americana feel to it. The track never really climaxes though.

Thought we lost you, Prof.

Yeah, that was the back cover photo. Ridiculous look on Mogg, of all people.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #863 on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
Hum, Misdemeanor… for sure, the “less UFO” album in band’s discography. AOR is the style that came closer to describe the album, but I don’t know if it fits. I consider it a good album as there’s six songs that I really like: Wreckless and Mean Streets are really great (I absolute love that 1st minute of Wreckless, so beautiful); This Time and Heaven’s Gate are very good, with great intros; and Night Run and Name of Love are solid good. I don’t care much for the rest (but Blue has a cool intro) and the only song that I truly dislike is The Only Ones, kind of a Marillion (Fugazi era) not well done, with that chorus very forced that came out of nowhere during the song.
Again something that really surprised me on TAC’s comment: IMO the american mix is much better, because it doesn’t have that excessive trebble, but also the drums aren't very loud in the mix (and with a terrible/super dated snare sound). In the US mix, the instruments sound much more balanced, the drums don't hurt and it does sound less dated to me. How I wish there was an US mix for Mean Streets and Wreckless!

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
MAKING CONTACT/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/? – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/? – 8,0
MISDEMEANOR/? - 7,5
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #864 on: September 28, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
I always felt the US Mix had added keyboards. I don't think I've ever completely listened to it.  :lol

A quick needle drop. They really just lowered the guitars and the drums. Fair enough. But to me, there are no guitars where they used to be, and are seemingly replaced by raised keyboards. I prefer the UK mix, even if I have to play with my audio knobs.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #865 on: September 28, 2020, 08:16:54 PM »
Maybe also your perception has to do with Tommy's guitar sound that, like you said, it has such a shrill tone to it. It seems to me that, if you have a mix/mastering with more trebble, this kind of sound would be more highlighted, giving the impression that he's higher in the mix or that it has more guitars and less keyboards. Just wondering... anyway, I think we agreed with almost all the best songs on it. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #866 on: September 28, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »
Maybe also your perception has to do with Tommy's guitar sound that, like you said, it has such a shrill tone to it. It seems to me that, if you have a mix/mastering with more trebble, this kind of sound would be more highlighted, giving the impression that he's higher in the mix or that it has more guitars and less keyboards. Just wondering... anyway, I think we agreed with almost all the best songs on it. :tup

Yes! :tup

Remember, I bought the UK version at least 6 months before the US version was released. So to me, that's how I "hear" it. to me, the US Remix completely wussified the album.

Turning down the treble isn't castrating the guitars, which is what the US Remix does.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #867 on: September 28, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »

Thought we lost you, Prof.

Yeah, that was the back cover photo. Ridiculous look on Mogg, of all people.

Freakin' work has been impinging on my posting ability lately. Been busy. It's like they don't know that I have other more important things to do. I plan to listen to this a bit later this evening.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #868 on: September 28, 2020, 08:33:14 PM »
I hear ya! I go back tomorrow after having 10 days off.

Glad you're hanging in there. Still have a ways to go! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: September 28, 2020, 08:55:00 PM »
I hear ya! I go back tomorrow after having 10 days off.

Glad you're hanging in there. Still have a ways to go! :lol

10 days off!  Lucky bugger.

Yeah, I will say the dudes lead tone on this is sharp as a razor blade.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: September 28, 2020, 09:32:38 PM »
Is this worth picking up;

https://www.utopia.com.au/ufo-complete-studio-albums-1974-1986-the-phenomenon-force-it-no-heavy-petting-lights-out-obsession-no-place-to-run-the-wild-the-willing-and-the-innocent-mechanix-making-contact-misdemeanor-lp-replicas-all-with-bonus-tracks-10cd-cd-new.html

I already own Phenomenon, LO and Obsession without bonus tracks though.  I could probably get it cheaper but this place is in Sydney.  Worth it to have them all on cd and bonus tracks?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #871 on: September 28, 2020, 10:04:28 PM »

https://www.utopia.com.au/ufo-complete-studio-albums-1974-1986-the-phenomenon-force-it-no-heavy-petting-lights-out-obsession-no-place-to-run-the-wild-the-willing-and-the-innocent-mechanix-making-contact-misdemeanor-lp-replicas-all-with-bonus-tracks-10cd-cd-new.html

I already own Phenomenon, LO and Obsession without bonus tracks though.  I could probably get it cheaper but this place is in Sydney.  Worth it to have them all on cd and bonus tracks?

This is the set I picked up shortly after Pete died for about $38 US. They all sound excellent and the bonus tracks are all pretty good. A b-side here and there and live tracks. Only Misdemeanor doesn't have any live tracks, just the bonus track The Change and then the US remixes of most of the album (which TAC said is even heavier on the synth, so you might like it).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #872 on: September 28, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
Well, let me get my bearings while the blood stops gushing from my ears from Tommy's lead tone. Good god, is that shrill!

Oddly, a thought that continued to go through my head is 'Is this what Marillion would sound like with a Hard Rock edge?'. Some of those synth tones sounded like they belonged on a Marillion record. I love Marillion, but I am not that fond of 80's style synth in hard rock/metal.

This Time blows. One Heart is decent and listenable. Night Run is pretty good. The Only Ones is twice as long as it needs to be and just is not that good. Dream The Dream kind of sucks. The rest of the tracks are listenable. I think I would enjoy this album a lot more without the needless synth, but I also understand they were trying to 'fit in' and stay hip with the popular crowd.

I plan on introducing a buddy of mine to UFO and I will absolutely not play this album for him. He will hate it. I can tolerate it, but this will be one I barely listen to. This is their first miss for me. Not bad, considering.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: September 28, 2020, 11:00:59 PM »

This is the set I picked up shortly after Pete died for about $38 US. They all sound excellent and the bonus tracks are all pretty good. A b-side here and there and live tracks. Only Misdemeanor doesn't have any live tracks, just the bonus track The Change and then the US remixes of most of the album (which TAC said is even heavier on the synth, so you might like it).

Damn that's a good price.  I could hunt around and get it overseas but would kind of want it ASAP as I'm on the UFO kick now!  I'll have a look if there are any other options.  I can get this within a couple of days of ordering but obviously I'm paying for it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: September 28, 2020, 11:24:04 PM »
Looks like I'll just pay to get it locally.

Amazon can get it to me by January.  :lol