Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 152148 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Making Contact
« Reply #770 on: September 25, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »
Your Assault Attack review was great to read, Kade. I appreciate it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #771 on: September 25, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »
Behind the scenes of The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread

Here's a look at my PM inbox...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #772 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »
Just finished my listen of Making Contact. I was sort of expecting to not like it based on previous comments but I found the album pretty enjoyable. The only thing that bugged me a bit was some of the very 80's synth. I did not dislike any of the songs.

For me, the first 2 Chapman albums are neck and neck at the top, for this era. The next two are neck and neck below them. They are a step down for me, but still enjoyable.

The next album I am not looking forward to. I did sample some of it when I got the box set and I remember cringing. What I remember was very 80's, and not in a good way. My version also has multiple mixes of most songs. The original and what they called the US Mix.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #773 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
The next album I am not looking forward to. I did sample some of it when I got the box set and I remember cringing. What I remember was very 80's, and not in a good way. My version also has multiple mixes of most songs. The original and what they called the US Mix.

Well, it's coming Monday or Tuesday.

If you can get past the sound of it, there's four excellent songs on it and three or four pretty good ones. It will require an open mind, but if you concentrate on the actual songs, it's really not that bad.

The US mix blows.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: September 25, 2020, 09:41:39 PM »
Your Assault Attack review was great to read, Kade. I appreciate it.

At least you can appreciate the review more than the album.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: September 25, 2020, 09:42:27 PM »
You've put a lot of work into this Tim, starting mid June.  Unreal.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #776 on: September 25, 2020, 11:47:08 PM »
So it was my turn to get Making Contact, with quite a bit of trepidation. Pete Way was a big part of UFO's soul. How would Carter and Chapman fill his shoes? As a quick aside, I think they both did an admirable job, and quite differently in parts; no worries about their capabilities then. So how did MC fare in comparison overall? I really tried to like this album at the time, and yes it was nice enough but fell off my radar after about a year. There were other bands around who seemed to have more energy. Up to this party, I remembered threads of only three songs; Diesel..., When It's Time... and ...Wind Blows. So to now.

Blinded... is a good opener and still has enough of the UFO sound, but am I hearing Phil Mogg a bit flat, or even tired? Chapman is capable enough. It's still UFO, but sounds a little different with 80s AOR keyboards.

Diesel... yes I still like. A good driving riff makes this one more memorable. One of the better tracks.

A Fool In Love... ok solid enough, but those keyboards in the break...?

You and Me... Chapman's fretless bass make a nice surprise here together with an atmospheric solo. Mogg is also highlighted. But I don't like this song at all.

When It's Time to Rock... Much better, but like the last song, I don't really feel it's UFO. Again a nice mid break, and swirly ending.

The Way the Wind Blows... The final Chapman song on this album and it feels like it. Great solo and another good driving song.

Call My Name... This could be any 80s AOR band again and I wouldn't care if I don't hear it ever again.

All Over You... Better and sounds more like UFO, especially Chapman's first solo, YES!!

No Getaway... Also a bit more like it, and wouldn't have sounded out of place on any of the last three albums.

Push It's Love... Paul Chapman out to prove a point on bass  :laugh: and it works. The song is OK but again doesn't quite hit the spot.

I'm glad this listening party brought MC back into my focus to listen through older ears, but it still would never refind its way into my psyche. There are no real standout tracks and certainly no classics. Yes, UFO sounded tired here and almost lost their identity. I'm glad they called it quits... at least for a while. Meanwhile over at MSG... uh oh!!
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: September 25, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
Nice honest writeup mac.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #778 on: September 25, 2020, 11:55:28 PM »
As a side note TAC, those files just show how much UFO means to you. I'm sure we all here appreciate the hard work you put into this and certainly enjoying revisiting music I probably would not have heard again. Yes, late 70s to early 80s UFO was in my top 5, above AC/DC or Sabbath.

Online PowerSlave

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #779 on: September 26, 2020, 02:26:18 AM »
The link for the video for Desert Song with Gary's vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5W7SRUtRko

My thoughts on AA:

The title track is very energetic. I'm not usually a fan of Graham Bonnet, but I have no problem with his singing on this song. In fact, this is probably the most tolerable thing that I've ever heard him do. The bass line during the lead section is excellent, and MS is in top form. Rock You to the Ground, Broken Promises and Searching for a Reason are all serviceable songs that don't add a lot, or subtract much from the album as a whole.

Samurai is an excellent song and it would be the best song on the album if not for my favorite MSG track of all time, Desert Song. I could gush on sentence after sentence about how much I love Desert Song, but I don't have enough clean towels in the house to clean up the mess afterwards.

Ulcer is a big meh, and I could care less if I ever heard it again.

This leaves one song to be mentioned. The biggest steaming pile of shit in the entire MSG catalog. Dancer... Not only are the lyrics terrible, as others have already mentioned. But there is absolutely nothing redeemable about this "song". To add insult to injury, I was able to catch the first MS Fest tour a few years ago, and they tried to ruin an almost perfect evening of music by putting this turd in the setlist. Could they have played a much better selection during Graham's section of the show (cough Samurai cough)? Most certainly! Instead, they chose to pelt the audience with this audible garbage. Wonders never cease...

Barden did a video for Dancer in what looks like the same session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xag_iuE7LKo

I don't really mind Dancer. It's not great, but it never really bothered me.

I can't say for sure, but it sounds like they left some of Graham's vocals in the mix during the harmony sections. I'd try listening again to make sure, but I've got a date/appointment with my ex-wife so that she can punch me in the balls repeatedly with a 10 pound mallet with one hand while swiping my credit card through a random drug dealer's mobile card reader with the other hand. Or, as I like to call it, my little weekend getaway.

It's either that, or listen to the song again, and in this case I'm choosing the less painful of the two experiences.

All kidding aside, thanks for the link, Tim. I probably never would have heard that version of the song had you not pointed it out.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #780 on: September 26, 2020, 05:22:44 AM »
The link for the video for Desert Song with Gary's vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5W7SRUtRko

My thoughts on AA:

The title track is very energetic. I'm not usually a fan of Graham Bonnet, but I have no problem with his singing on this song. In fact, this is probably the most tolerable thing that I've ever heard him do. The bass line during the lead section is excellent, and MS is in top form. Rock You to the Ground, Broken Promises and Searching for a Reason are all serviceable songs that don't add a lot, or subtract much from the album as a whole.

Samurai is an excellent song and it would be the best song on the album if not for my favorite MSG track of all time, Desert Song. I could gush on sentence after sentence about how much I love Desert Song, but I don't have enough clean towels in the house to clean up the mess afterwards.

Ulcer is a big meh, and I could care less if I ever heard it again.

This leaves one song to be mentioned. The biggest steaming pile of shit in the entire MSG catalog. Dancer... Not only are the lyrics terrible, as others have already mentioned. But there is absolutely nothing redeemable about this "song". To add insult to injury, I was able to catch the first MS Fest tour a few years ago, and they tried to ruin an almost perfect evening of music by putting this turd in the setlist. Could they have played a much better selection during Graham's section of the show (cough Samurai cough)? Most certainly! Instead, they chose to pelt the audience with this audible garbage. Wonders never cease...

Barden did a video for Dancer in what looks like the same session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xag_iuE7LKo

I don't really mind Dancer. It's not great, but it never really bothered me.

I can't say for sure, but it sounds like they left some of Graham's vocals in the mix during the harmony sections. I'd try listening again to make sure, but I've got a date/appointment with my ex-wife so that she can punch me in the balls repeatedly with a 10 pound mallet with one hand while swiping my credit card through a random drug dealer's mobile card reader with the other hand. Or, as I like to call it, my little weekend getaway.

It's either that, or listen to the song again, and in this case I'm choosing the less painful of the two experiences.

All kidding aside, thanks for the link, Tim. I probably never would have heard that version of the song had you not pointed it out.

:lol :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #781 on: September 26, 2020, 07:23:57 AM »
You've put a lot of work into this Tim, starting mid June.  Unreal.

I had mentioned that I had kind of started outlining a Discography Thread a couple of years ago while recovering from an operation.

But when Paul Chapman passed away in June, let's just say that inspired me to knock this out. I was really shocked when Paul Chapman passed away. It kind of hit me. Like Damn!

We are not done hearing from Paul Chapman in this thread.

As a side note TAC, those files just show how much UFO means to you. I'm sure we all here appreciate the hard work you put into this and certainly enjoying revisiting music I probably would not have heard again. Yes, late 70s to early 80s UFO was in my top 5, above AC/DC or Sabbath.

It's my pleasure, believe me.

So it was my turn to get Making Contact, with quite a bit of trepidation. Pete Way was a big part of UFO's soul. How would Carter and Chapman fill his shoes? As a quick aside, I think they both did an admirable job, and quite differently in parts; no worries about their capabilities then. So how did MC fare in comparison overall? I really tried to like this album at the time, and yes it was nice enough but fell off my radar after about a year. There were other bands around who seemed to have more energy. Up to this party, I remembered threads of only three songs; Diesel..., When It's Time... and ...Wind Blows. So to now.

Blinded... is a good opener and still has enough of the UFO sound, but am I hearing Phil Mogg a bit flat, or even tired? Chapman is capable enough. It's still UFO, but sounds a little different with 80s AOR keyboards.

Diesel... yes I still like. A good driving riff makes this one more memorable. One of the better tracks.

A Fool In Love... ok solid enough, but those keyboards in the break...?

You and Me... Chapman's fretless bass make a nice surprise here together with an atmospheric solo. Mogg is also highlighted. But I don't like this song at all.

When It's Time to Rock... Much better, but like the last song, I don't really feel it's UFO. Again a nice mid break, and swirly ending.

The Way the Wind Blows... The final Chapman song on this album and it feels like it. Great solo and another good driving song.

Call My Name... This could be any 80s AOR band again and I wouldn't care if I don't hear it ever again.

All Over You... Better and sounds more like UFO, especially Chapman's first solo, YES!!

No Getaway... Also a bit more like it, and wouldn't have sounded out of place on any of the last three albums.

Push It's Love... Paul Chapman out to prove a point on bass  :laugh: and it works. The song is OK but again doesn't quite hit the spot.

I'm glad this listening party brought MC back into my focus to listen through older ears, but it still would never refind its way into my psyche. There are no real standout tracks and certainly no classics. Yes, UFO sounded tired here and almost lost their identity. I'm glad they called it quits... at least for a while. Meanwhile over at MSG... uh oh!!

Love the song by song reviews in this thread. Thanks Mac!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: September 26, 2020, 07:38:43 AM »
So 1983 would give us TWO more albums in the UFO tree.

Both Michael Schenker, and Pete Way's new band Waysted, would release albums. Here they are:

Built To Destroy

https://open.spotify.com/album/2FYVfbIeCpzz5ljm2Y74Y4?si=dxxOSBGbTbmF6u7IMxGLGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qL2HCzai4&list=PL8a8cutYP7fqVDKGXz4Jz5SvN63aj-7zg

Released September 1983

1. I'm Gonna Make You Mine
2. Time Waits (For No One)
3. Systems Failing
4. Rock Will Never Die
5. Red Sky
6. Rock My Nights Away
7. Captain Nemo
8. The Dogs Of War
9. Still Love That Little Devil

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Gary Barden-Vocals
Chris Glen-Bass
Ted McKenna-Drums
Andy Nye-Keyboards

Derek St Holmes sings on Still Love That Little Devil

MSG returned with Built To Destroy, which features Gary Barden on vocals. I remember being very happy that Barden had rejoined the band. While I did like a number of songs straight away, I remember being very disappointed with this. Way too many weak tunes, and the production was just awful.

The 2009 Remaster sounds a million miles better, and makes this a totally enjoyable listen. And for me, this album has really aged well.
There are still some weak tracks IMO, like Time Waits, and Still Love.. but there's some great tunes on this album. And Michael's playing top notch.

There are some great tunes on this album. The Dogs Of War, Red Sky, Rock My Nights Away, Rock Will Never Die, and the amazing Captain Nemo.

Vices

https://open.spotify.com/album/5mIsUTfmeA0HAVA6rEnNiZ?si=Yoe9Z8mRTtWBjVcxxR8pzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwZvdokxLk

Released October 1983

Love Loaded
Women In Chains
Sleazy
Night Of The Wolf
Toy With The Passion
Right From The Start
Hot Love
All Belongs To You
Somebody To Love

Fin-Vocals
Pete Way-Bass
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar
Ronnie Kayfield-Guitar
Frank Noone-Drums

Pete Way put Waysted together very quickly after the Ozzy tour. He mentions that he called Paul Raymond first. Raymond, after getting booted from MSG,  was in the process of putting a band together with Terry Reid. Once Pete called, he went against his instincts and joined Pete. Leaving Reid in the lurch was a move he would always speak with regret about. Original Def Leppard drummer Frank Noone was a neighbor of Pete's, and he added American guitarist Ronnie Kayfield and Scottish vocalist Ian "Fin" Muir.
Pete wanted a grittier than UFO band, and likened Fin's voice to a young Bob Seger. Personally, I think he sounded a little like Brian Johnson but deeper.

Waysted got some prime opening slots, opening for Dio in the fall of '83, and being 3rd on the Ozzy/Motley tour of the States in early 1984. I actually remember this show, but again, my father was none to keen on Ozzy. Pete mentions a second run of dates that Chrysalis scrapped. I saw Dio in the summer of 1984, and it would've been awesome to see Waysted too.

After the tour, Chrysalis basically told Pete that he would have to sack the entire band, except for Fin. Then they didn't even pick their option for a second album.

I really like Vices. I usually skip the first two tracks, Love Loaded and Women In Chains. But starting with Sleazy, this album delivers. Not a huge fan of Hot Love, but the musical break is pretty raucous.

Night Of the Wolf is easily the best track. :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #783 on: September 26, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »
Now we’re getting to the point where I’ll have to do some homework.

BTD is an excellent album. There’s lots to love on here. It has one of my favourite instrumentals ever in Captain Nemo. I first heard it on the Rock Will Never Die live album and loved it.
Barden is back and he’s ok as usual on album.

I’ve never really bothered with Waysted other than theSave Your Prayers album, which I only listened to because it has Danny Vaughn singing. It’s a very good album. I did hear some Waysted with Finn but didn’t like his voice so never bothered with the. In the spirit of the thread I will give them a go.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #784 on: September 26, 2020, 11:07:49 AM »
Hmm. Just listened to Vices. First track was ok, second was shite. It definitely picked up after that and was pretty good. Didn’t like the cover at the end. The guitarist was no Paul Chapman let alone a Schenker, but got the job done.

I didn’t mind Finn’s voice to be honest.

Yeah, it was ok.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #785 on: September 26, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »
After the at the time disappointment of Assault Attack, I didn’t buy Built to Destroy. One of my friends bought it instead a few months after release, which I then heard at a party. To me it was unrecognizable as MSG, wondering what had happened to Gary Barden, and also thinking that my friend’s music centre was a budget item bought from a supermarket, that had affected its sound. I heard nothing that stood out and didn’t hear the album again, until now.

Rock My Rights Away… Ughh, what a terrible keyboard sound, almost ruining the song. MS part saves the song but it’s not for me.

I’m Gonna Make You Mine… Barden trying to sound like Bonnet? Chris Glen (a great player) almost sounds like a synth bass. Unfortunately the tempo also sounds too generic.

The Dogs of War… A great intro from MS makes me think this will be better, but there’s that tempo again. Unfortunately another forgettable tune.

Systems Failing… Same tempo with Barden seemingly in trouble on the high notes. MS brings some nice melody to this in his solos. So the tune is OK.

Captain Nemo… Finally!! True MSG. MS intro reminds me of JP and there’s something that’s got my ears attention, I’m relieved to say. The whirly keyboards are not quite as plastic as earlier and the tempo slows but not in a bad way as MS is still tasty enough. So glad it’s an instrumental

Still Love That Little Devil… I like this. Similar tempo to the previous few songs, but MS gives some nice touches before verses. This song is fun with its crazy lyrics (which usually I don’t bother about) and it’s catchy.

Red Sky… This is also better, with an almost classical MS solo in the thankfully slower mid section, before the tempo picks up again. The outro solo is a highlight of the album for me.

Time Waits for No One… There’s that cheesy keyboard again, but thankfully we have pleasant choruses this time. The outro solo again is wonderful. This half of the album seems much better.

Walk the Stage (or Rock Will Never Die)… A slower song, with a slightly bluesy feel, and along with Captain Nemo, easily the best on this album. Finally, the band feel like they’re rocking on this one and enjoying it.

Prior to listening to this, I had noticed mention of bad production. So I found the remixes on YouTube, as I don’t have a Spotify account and probably never will, as it’s surely banned in China. Still felt as if the album had been recorded in a closet, and seemingly in a rush, as many of the songs I’m sure, could have benefitted from a rethink about the tempos IMO.  Barden isn’t really the same singer he was on the first two albums, and I wonder if MS was running out of tunes for this one. Of the four studio MSGs from this “classic period”, Graham Bonnet’s voice apart, and apart from Captain Nemo and Walk the Stage, this is not a classic.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #786 on: September 26, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
I agree that Built to Destroy was a disappointment, and the production was a big part of that. Guess I need to check out the remaster of this album too.s

I bought the Waysted album when it came out and don’t recall being too excited by it. I haven’t listened to that one in probably over 30 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #787 on: September 26, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »
Hmm. Just listened to Vices. First track was ok, second was shite. It definitely picked up after that and was pretty good. Didn’t like the cover at the end. The guitarist was no Paul Chapman let alone a Schenker, but got the job done.

I didn’t mind Finn’s voice to be honest.

Yeah, it was ok.

Vices is definitely not a great album. It's actually fairly uneven. I love Night Of The Wolf, along with Sleazy and Right From The Start.

Unfortunately both Sleazy and RFTS have a section in each of them that was trimmed on the original release, but have found their way into the reissues. Both take away from the songs as they were perfect before.

I thought Fin had a cool voice.

I agree that Built to Destroy was a disappointment, and the production was a big part of that. Guess I need to check out the remaster of this album too.s

I bought the Waysted album when it came out and don’t recall being too excited by it. I haven’t listened to that one in probably over 30 years.

Same here with BTD. The Remasters really help this. But the original release really was kind of terrible.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: September 26, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
Did the songs from the first four MSG albums get much in the way of mainstream radio play? I know later in the decade with “Anytime” there was lots of radio attention but the first four MSG albums just give off a bit of an underground vibe. But at the same time I could still see some songs appealing to the masses.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #789 on: September 26, 2020, 01:28:20 PM »
I don't remember anything, really. I did hear On And On, but that's it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: September 26, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »
That’s the one song I was thinking could get some radio attention

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #791 on: September 26, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Underwhelmed by Making Contact and the perceived disappointment of Built to Destroy, my music discoveries had started to focus elsewhere in 83. (A hint for the future here… Grand Prix had become a favourite of mine). A friend bought Vices later in the year and raved about it. So of course I listened a few times, and immediately realized why Pete Way had left UFO… he wanted to make music with more balls. While Vices certainly rocked, I was less impressed as I felt it was a bit rough, and wasn’t convinced by the singer at all. So the album was forgotten after my friend moved back up to Scotland in 84.

Love Loaded… That Way feeling is back. Fin Muir initially sounds like he has the attitude of Mogg, but screams more. Ron Kayfield seems to be more of a shredder (I’m not a musician BTW) with perhaps less melody than I would have liked.

Women in Chains… Is this Peter Gabriel? I like the atmosphere here and it’s certainly different from anything I ever heard Way involved with before. Some Fripp type guitar completes the angst.

Sleazy… More like what might be expected from Way, but it’s a welcome Paul Raymond song. The guitar seems a bit trebly but is ok; remember this isn’t UFO.

Night of the Wolf… The moody guitar intro is reminiscent of Schenker, but the tempo picks up to a decent rocker in the style of way’s former band. Still not sure about Fin’s screaming though. Kayfield delivers a decent solo to go with the blistering end. A very good song.

Toy with the Passion… Again I feel like Mogg could have sung this rocker. Yes it’s a good one

Right from the Start… This reminds me of Back into My Life, but with a different harder edge in the chorus.

Hot Love … Reminds me of Faces era Rod Stewart (or Hot Legs). It’s OK

All Belongs to You… Another Raymond song. This one rocks unlike some of his previous tunes and wouldn’t be a bad closer, maybe he missed rocking too.

Somebody to Love… The Jefferson Airplane classic in the style of Waysted. It sounds like a bit of fun for the band, but I would prefer to listen to Grace Slick.

I’m happy to have revisited this and it’s better than I remembered. It still sounds like it was recorded on a very cheap budget by a garage band. Kayfield doesn’t have the class of Schenker or Chapman, but it’s obvious Way was enjoying himself again. Looking forward to the Chapman/Parker albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #792 on: September 26, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »
That's awesome Mac! It's not perfect, but I've always liked it. And I love Fin's voice here. This was the best produced his voice would be.

(A hint for the future here… Grand Prix).

....and Grand Slam...

I’m happy to have revisited this and it’s better than I remembered. It still sounds like it was recorded on a very cheap budget by a garage band. Kayfield doesn’t have the class of Schenker or Chapman, but it’s obvious Way was enjoying himself again. Looking forward to the Chapman/Parker albums.

Oh hell yes!! :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #793 on: September 26, 2020, 10:50:39 PM »
Excellent review by silentmac6, very close to my first impression about Vices. I'm a big fan of Save Your Prayers, but I never really paid attention to the previous Waysted albums. After a few listenings now, I think it's a good fun rock album and a relevant one, if you are interested in the UFO related projects.
About Built to Destroy, I think is still a very good album, but I like better the style of the previous two. But I must admit, although very commercial, I love songs like I’m Gonna Make You Mine. Captain Nemo is one of Schenker’s best instrumentals and I always loved Rock Will Never Die.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #794 on: September 27, 2020, 03:39:44 AM »
Built to Destroy sounds like a band in transition. I've always got the feeling like they were trying desperately to achieve commercial success, but there are still elements of the heavier edge of the earlier MSG albums. Michael's best foray into power pop would come on the next MSG album with a completely revamped band, but the attempts at it on this album aren't terrible. They're just not very good, either.

The original mix of this album did not help the situation. The guitars are often buried which is a terrible idea for a band that's built around a guitar hero. There are some very bright spots, however.

I'm Gonna Make You Mine, Time Waits and Systems Failing are merely ok songs that hint at having some good elements on them, but never quite deliver on their promise. I've never really known what to think about Rock Will Never Die. I feel like I should like the song, but it never really grabs my attention for long.

Red Sky is a top ten MSG track for me. It puts me in mind of Lost Horizons from the first album. Both songs are in the same key, and the main riffs for each song both live in the same "box" on the guitar neck/fretboard. Rock My Nights Away is an odd riff that switches between major and minor of the same key, and I've always liked the feel of the song. Captain Nemo is a very cool instrumental that I always enjoy listening to.

The Dogs of Way and Still Love That Little Devil are serviceable rockers, but I don't think either song does anything very special.

Overall, this is the weakest of the MSG albums up to this point, but it's not horrible.

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: September 27, 2020, 03:43:43 AM »
When I listened to BTD a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was pretty shit.  I'll have to listen again however.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: September 27, 2020, 04:55:33 AM »
Having a really difficult time trying to pinpoint Pearl Jam songs that remind me of UFO.  There's just things going on in a lot of the old stuff that reminds me of Pearl Jam.  THe best I could do are these songs;

State of Love and Trust
Porch
Save You
Last Exit
Corduroy
Hail Hail
World Wide Suicide
God's Dice

Last two are later stuff which isn't great but has slightly that Natural Thing faster type feel.  Very very rough, but I just hear Pearl Jam in UFO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: September 27, 2020, 05:17:42 AM »
Having a listen to the Waysted;

Love Loaded:  I quite liked this. Cheesy but without being too cheesy, if that makes sense.  I thought the chorus was decent for the style.  The solo was cool.  Almost Tipton like, especially in that first tapping section at the start of the solo.  Reminds me of his solo in Out in the Cold.

Women in Chains:  :lol

Sleazy: Nah, not a fan of this one.  Obviously trying to do a Van Halen here.  The chorus is so awkward with just singing the word 'sleazy' twice.  Weird.

Night of the Wolf:  Pretty sure I remember this song from a Ben and Brent podcast.  :metal  yeah, this is a great tune.  That's a nice tasty solo too.

Toy With the Passion:  Again, not really my style of rock, but the chorus was decent enough here to be enjoyable.

Right From the Start:  Nah pass.  Pretty uninspired this one.

Hot Love:  Uh, no.  Starting to all sound pretty samey too.

All Belongs to You: A little better, but again nothing great.

Somebody to Cover:  It's hard to take a cover of this seriously after knowing WASP's cover.

Yeah, pretty bland album really.  Wolf is great and the opener was alright but pretty bland.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #798 on: September 27, 2020, 07:43:29 AM »
Excellent review by silentmac6, very close to my first impression about Vices. I'm a big fan of Save Your Prayers, but I never really paid attention to the previous Waysted albums. After a few listenings now, I think it's a good fun rock album and a relevant one, if you are interested in the UFO related projects.

Not sure if everyone will like them, but the next Waysted EP and album are two of my all time favorite releases.

Michael's best foray into power pop would come on the next MSG album with a completely revamped band,

IMO, people should regret everything they say about Built To Destroy after hearing the next album. One of the most disappointing albums I have ever bought.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #799 on: September 27, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »
Having a really difficult time trying to pinpoint Pearl Jam songs that remind me of UFO.  There's just things going on in a lot of the old stuff that reminds me of Pearl Jam.  THe best I could do are these songs;

State of Love and Trust
Porch
Save You
Last Exit
Corduroy
Hail Hail
World Wide Suicide
God's Dice

Last two are later stuff which isn't great but has slightly that Natural Thing faster type feel.  Very very rough, but I just hear Pearl Jam in UFO.

I'll check these out, thank you. I didn't realize you were a big Pearl Jam guy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: September 27, 2020, 02:48:05 PM »

State of Love and Trust
Porch
Save You
Last Exit
Corduroy
Hail Hail
World Wide Suicide
God's Dice

I'll check these out, thank you. I didn't realize you were a big Pearl Jam guy.

I guess my age helped.  They were massive when I was getting into music so it was a natural connection.  The first five albums I pretty much idolized.  All five are close to perfect.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #801 on: September 27, 2020, 02:53:33 PM »
I had Ten when it came out, but I never really followed up with them. Still, as a band, I respect the hell out of them. A lot like UFO, in that, they're a base rock band, UFO a bit harder edged, but they are both offer a lot of variety within that framework. Tesla was a lot like that too, and obviously, they were big UFO fans.

What I also found while listening to those songs (I made a playlist) is that when Eddie is in a certain range, he actually sounds like Phil Mogg. There was a spot in..Corduroy vocally that reminded me of Phil in Crystal Light

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #802 on: September 27, 2020, 03:18:44 PM »
1983 Update

With the abrupt end of the Making Contact tour, UFO was basically finished.

During this time, Paul Chapman, Neil Carter, and Andy Parker were working on song demos in the hopes of possibly continuing in some other form.

As they broke up, Paul took a couple songs, one of which would become So Long on Waysted's Save Your Prayers album, and Neil would take a couple of songs, including this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAchxN8QG2U

Yes, the Murder In The Skies riff was first played by...Paul Chapman!

And speaking of Gary Moore, Neil Carter says that after UFO's final show, he was approached by two bands with offers to join. One was Whitesnake, which he thought better of, but the other was to join Gary Moore on his 1983 summer tour of the States, as Don Airey was unavailable.

I saw my first concert when I was 14 on June 25th, 1983 at the old Cape Cod Coliseum.
It was Def Leppard, Krokus, and Gary Moore.
Which means the very first live band I ever saw was Gary Moore, Neil Murray, Ian f'n Paice, and UFO's Neil Carter.

Neil Carter would become a mainstay in Gary's band throughout the 80's.
I would see Gary Moore again on August 29, 1987 at The Living Room in Providence.
I took this picture of Neil at the show:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #803 on: September 27, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
Never realised Murder in the Skies wasn’t a Gary riff. Great song and one of the first I learned to play by ear.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: September 27, 2020, 03:42:34 PM »
I had Ten when it came out, but I never really followed up with them. Still, as a band, I respect the hell out of them. A lot like UFO, in that, they're a base rock band, UFO a bit harder edged, but they are both offer a lot of variety within that framework. Tesla was a lot like that too, and obviously, they were big UFO fans.

What I also found while listening to those songs (I made a playlist) is that when Eddie is in a certain range, he actually sounds like Phil Mogg. There was a spot in..Corduroy vocally that reminded me of Phil in Crystal Light

YES!!!!!