Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147991 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #735 on: September 24, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
Just wanted to mention, to be fair to Graham Bonnet, he certainly does a memorable job. I mean, I mentioned Assault Attack is to me, the strongest track on the album. And I think for that song, Bonnet is totally fitting. Was just listening to the version on the Unforgiven World Tour live album with Kelly Keeling on this song, and holy shit, does he suck.

I have a pretty good boot from 1983 where Barden does Desert Song, and well, at least there's some character behind it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #736 on: September 24, 2020, 09:49:21 PM »
Just wanted to mention, to be fair to Graham Bonnet, he certainly does a memorable job. I mean, I mentioned Assault Attack is to me, the strongest track on the album. And I think for that song, Bonnet is totally fitting. Was just listening to the version on the Unforgiven World Tour live album with Kelly Keeling on this song, and holy shit, does he suck.

I have a pretty good boot from 1983 where Barden does Desert Song, and well, at least there's some character behind it.

There's a video of Desert Song on YouTube with Gary's vocal in studio. I'm currently at work and on my phone, so I can't post it, but it should be easy to track down.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: September 24, 2020, 10:00:26 PM »
Tim you mentioned that you thought Broken Promises was the worst on the album and you never thought much of it. I haven’t listened to it for awhile but just listened to that song specifically again  and I think it’s an ass kicker, excellent solo too

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: September 24, 2020, 10:22:35 PM »
Tim you mentioned that you thought Broken Promises was the worst on the album and you never thought much of it. I haven’t listened to it for awhile but just listened to that song specifically again  and I think it’s an ass kicker, excellent solo too

Agree.  Possibly the best solo on the album, maybe except for the outro of Desert Song.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:39:55 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #739 on: September 24, 2020, 11:40:21 PM »
Thank you for that Mac! Reading must've been sick. Leaving before MSG?? That blows.

You should've checked Twitter earlier in the day! :lol

Yeah, one of life's few regrets. I got ribbed about it for a few years afterwards  :laugh:

I give AA another spin. This time without being focussed on work texts, and revised my opinion about the title track and Rock You to the Ground. Better than I initially gave them credit for, but still nothing amazing. Overall its a solid record, but not as good as the first two. Some songs are terrific (Samurai and Desert Song) but still Graham Bonnet ruins many parts of an otherwise excellent sounding record.
On to Making Contact... hmmmm  :sad:
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #740 on: September 25, 2020, 02:08:19 AM »
The link for the video for Desert Song with Gary's vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5W7SRUtRko

My thoughts on AA:

The title track is very energetic. I'm not usually a fan of Graham Bonnet, but I have no problem with his singing on this song. In fact, this is probably the most tolerable thing that I've ever heard him do. The bass line during the lead section is excellent, and MS is in top form. Rock You to the Ground, Broken Promises and Searching for a Reason are all serviceable songs that don't add a lot, or subtract much from the album as a whole.

Samurai is an excellent song and it would be the best song on the album if not for my favorite MSG track of all time, Desert Song. I could gush on sentence after sentence about how much I love Desert Song, but I don't have enough clean towels in the house to clean up the mess afterwards.

Ulcer is a big meh, and I could care less if I ever heard it again.

This leaves one song to be mentioned. The biggest steaming pile of shit in the entire MSG catalog. Dancer... Not only are the lyrics terrible, as others have already mentioned. But there is absolutely nothing redeemable about this "song". To add insult to injury, I was able to catch the first MS Fest tour a few years ago, and they tried to ruin an almost perfect evening of music by putting this turd in the setlist. Could they have played a much better selection during Graham's section of the show (cough Samurai cough)? Most certainly! Instead, they chose to pelt the audience with this audible garbage. Wonders never cease...

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: September 25, 2020, 06:42:57 AM »
The link for the video for Desert Song with Gary's vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5W7SRUtRko

My thoughts on AA:

The title track is very energetic. I'm not usually a fan of Graham Bonnet, but I have no problem with his singing on this song. In fact, this is probably the most tolerable thing that I've ever heard him do. The bass line during the lead section is excellent, and MS is in top form. Rock You to the Ground, Broken Promises and Searching for a Reason are all serviceable songs that don't add a lot, or subtract much from the album as a whole.

Samurai is an excellent song and it would be the best song on the album if not for my favorite MSG track of all time, Desert Song. I could gush on sentence after sentence about how much I love Desert Song, but I don't have enough clean towels in the house to clean up the mess afterwards.

Ulcer is a big meh, and I could care less if I ever heard it again.

This leaves one song to be mentioned. The biggest steaming pile of shit in the entire MSG catalog. Dancer... Not only are the lyrics terrible, as others have already mentioned. But there is absolutely nothing redeemable about this "song". To add insult to injury, I was able to catch the first MS Fest tour a few years ago, and they tried to ruin an almost perfect evening of music by putting this turd in the setlist. Could they have played a much better selection during Graham's section of the show (cough Samurai cough)? Most certainly! Instead, they chose to pelt the audience with this audible garbage. Wonders never cease...

Barden did a video for Dancer in what looks like the same session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xag_iuE7LKo

I don't really mind Dancer. It's not great, but it never really bothered me.

Agree.  Possibly the best solo on the album, maybe except for the outro of Desert Song.

It's easily the most annoying Bonnet is on the entire album.
Hell yes, the solo is great, especially the second half of it.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: September 25, 2020, 06:59:05 AM »
1982 Update

Pete Way would leave UFO after the Mechanix tour.

First, he would produce the debut album from Twisted Sister.

He would even join them onstage at that summer's Reading Festival, as did Lemmy and Eddie from Motorhead..
https://youtu.be/usvnTbsyeR4?t=273

Speaking of Reading, MSG would headline the third night.

By this point, Gary Barden had rejoined the band after Graham Bonnet lasted exactly one show with MSG.

Pete would put together Fastway, with Fast Eddie Clark from Motorhead. Originally to include The Clash's Topper Headon, who was too strung out at the time, they turned to Jerry Shirley. With newcomer Dave King, they had the debut album worked up. Chrysalis showed little interest, yet refused to let Pete Way out of his contract to record the album for CBS. While Eddie maintains that his lawyers could've helped Pete out, Pete really just disappeared.

Pete would get an invitation to do Ozzy's fall UK tour.

Pete mentions not really fitting in with Tommy Aldridge and Brad Gillis. Fast Eddie Clarke even mentions that Tommy Aldridge told Ozzy and Sharon that he wouldn't play with Pete.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: September 25, 2020, 07:54:20 AM »
Making Contact

Making Contact (1983)

Released February 14, 1983

1. Blinded By A Lie
2. Diesel In The Dust
3. A Fool For Love
4. You And Me
5. When It's Time To Rock
6. The Way The Wild Wind Blows
7. Call My Name
8. All Over You
9. No Getaway
10. Push, It's Love

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Paul Chapman-Guitar/ Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Neil Carter-Keyboards/Guitar/Bass

For the first time ever, UFO would enter the studio without Pete Way. Bass duties on the album would be shared by Paul Chapman and Neil Carter.
Kind of an odd collection of songs, if you ask me. There are a few pretty good ones, but this was a band clearly on fumes.

The band would once again use another rehashed Lone Star track as When It's Time To Rock.
Check out the beginning to The Bells Of Berlin

Blinded By A Lie TV spot
and yes, that IS Billy Sheehan.

Of course, Billy Sheehan would join the band for the start of their Making Contact European tour. It was already agreed upon that he would leave at a predetermined date to rejoin Talas. Paul Gray, bassist for The Damned would actually join the tour before Billy had to leave. One night in Greece, however, hastened Billy's exit. Phil Mogg was so drunk, the show could not be finished, and Billy Sheehan walked off the tour that night. Paul Gray jumped in and the finished the final dates of the European tour. The band was about to call it a day, when they decided to do the last remaining UK tour as their final shows.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Making Contact
« Reply #744 on: September 25, 2020, 07:56:45 AM »
I’ve definitely never heard this one before. I’ll check it out but if Tim thinks it fairly weak, I don’t have much confidence I’ll enjoy it that much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #745 on: September 25, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
I’ve definitely never heard this one before. I’ll check it out but if Tim thinks it fairly weak, I don’t have much confidence I’ll enjoy it that much.

There's some decent songs, and it does kind of grow on you. I think stack ranking all of the albums, it is in the lower part for sure. There's a bunch of tunes I like on it though.

It starts off with a bang with Blinded By A Lie and Diesel In The Dust. Those are two cool tracks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: September 25, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
Are the songs decent or just solid?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #747 on: September 25, 2020, 08:14:25 AM »
They're decently solid.....and solidly decent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: September 25, 2020, 08:38:15 AM »
“Diesel in the Dust” is definitely a bad ass tune  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #749 on: September 25, 2020, 08:50:58 AM »

Pronounced dead at the wheel of his truck.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #750 on: September 25, 2020, 09:09:09 AM »
Apparently one of most underrated UFO’s albums IMO. I think it’s just a bit below of Mechanix and WWI, but clearly superior than NPTR. Like I said about Mechanix, I really liked Carter writing skills. OK, maybe this album would be benefited of more Chapman's participation, just because I also like his writing. I think there’s a lot of strong songs here like Blinded by a Lie, Diesel in the Dust, A Fool for Love (that guitar solo with that immense keyboard sound is amazing. I hear here something that Van Halen would explore on 5150), You and Me (again, great guitar solo with a beautiful keyboard part), When it's Time to Rock and The Way the Wild Wind Blows. Say what you want, but I love UFO more commercial hard rock ballads like Call My Name. In fact, the only song I don’t like much here is Push, It’s Love that it's a bit disjointed. They were trying a punk/hard rock?! That was kind of compensated by a very cool B-side, Everybody Knows.

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
MAKING CONTACT/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/? – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/? – 8,0
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #751 on: September 25, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »

There's some decent songs, and it does kind of grow on you. I think stack ranking all of the albums, it is in the lower part for sure. There's a bunch of tunes I like on it though.

It starts off with a bang with Blinded By A Lie and Diesel In The Dust. Those are two cool tracks.

I'd agree with that. Played it a few days ago. The production is a bit flat and lifeless which doesn't help. It's not a bad album, but not as good as those that went before. BBAL and DITD are excellent.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: September 25, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
Just finished up with my first ever listen to Making Contact

Overall impression was that this was a good listen. Side one is solid with a significant drop off for side two. Mogg's performances were pretty great throughout. I enjoyed Carter's synth patches even though they are pretty dated to the 80's but that's alright with me.

Diesel in the Dust is my favorite after one listen, followed closely by A Fool for Love and Blinded by a Lie, in that order. I really dug the moody solo for You and Me but overall the song is a tier lower that the first three songs. When It's Time to Rock had nice riffs but kind of a strange chorus. It grew on me the more I listened. Solid solo though.

The other songs (side 2) didn't do much for me but I did think the ending solo of All Over You was pretty nice. I thought the intro to No Getaway was very cool but it didn't really have anything to do with the rest of the song. Push, It's Love had nice energy but is too plodding for my tastes...and why was the bass so f'ing loud? Was Carter or Raymond sticking up a middle finger to Way?  :lol

With all due respect to devieira73, I thought Everybody Knows blew chunks...to use a TACism
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #753 on: September 25, 2020, 09:30:40 AM »
I actually always really enjoyed Making Contact and played it to death back in the day. The song title, Diesel in the Dust, describes the sound of the album to my ears, which is kind of diesely   :lol. I don't know how else to describe it...maybe dusky.

I will give it a listen again later today.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #754 on: September 25, 2020, 09:51:50 AM »
With all due respect to devieira73, I thought Everybody Knows blew chunks...to use a TACism
No problem!  :tup  And with all due respect to Stadler, I think it's better than Heel of a Stranger :biggrin: (I really do!)

Offline Bentower

« Reply #755 on: September 25, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
Some decent songs here, but they're let down by a poor mix. All the instruments are crammed in the center. It sounds nearly mono. And then most things are more or less soaked in reverb and lack any bite to boot. It's a crying shame since whenever there's some nice riffage going on, like in When It's Time to Rock for example, it's getting drowned out.

It was quite the contrast switching from Assault Attack to Making Contact in that regard. I'll take Mogg over Bonnet any day, but other than that this was clearly MSG's round. Some cool solos by Chapman here also, but I'm not feeling the usual UFO magic.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #756 on: September 25, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
No problem!  :tup  And with all due respect to Stadler, I think it's better than Heel of a Stranger :biggrin: (I really do!)

I'll take Everybody Knows over Heel as well.

Just finished up with my first ever listen to Making Contact

Overall impression was that this was a good listen. Side one is solid with a significant drop off for side two. Mogg's performances were pretty great throughout. I enjoyed Carter's synth patches even though they are pretty dated to the 80's but that's alright with me.

Diesel in the Dust is my favorite after one listen, followed closely by A Fool for Love and Blinded by a Lie, in that order. I really dug the moody solo for You and Me but overall the song is a tier lower that the first three songs. When It's Time to Rock had nice riffs but kind of a strange chorus. It grew on me the more I listened. Solid solo though.

The other songs (side 2) didn't do much for me but I did think the ending solo of All Over You was pretty nice. I thought the intro to No Getaway was very cool but it didn't really have anything to do with the rest of the song. Push, It's Love had nice energy but is too plodding for my tastes...and why was the bass so f'ing loud? Was Carter or Raymond sticking up a middle finger to Way?  :lol

A Fool For Love, while starting off a bit shaky props itself up, and Carter and Chapman are really good on this in the instrumental part.

I definitely like When It's Time To Rock. The beginning of the instrumental part if a great exercise in air drumming for me, similar to You Don't Fool Me.

I love all of the little drops Chapman does in All Over You after the lines in the verses, especially in the verse after the real nice solo.

Say what you want, but I love UFO more commercial hard rock ballads like Call My Name.

I agree in Call My Name. It's a great track.

The other thing I like about Making Contact is that with Neil Carter, they really developed some nice backing vocal sections.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #757 on: September 25, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
Some of the guys know from The Cool Thread that I'll occasionally scan in some of my old programs.

Now obviously I didn't see the Making Contact tour, but I found a program in a record shop in the 80's.
It doubles as a calendar.

I find it interesting that they did have plans to hit the US, and Asia, but the band ended up calling it a day after the last show at Hammersmith.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #758 on: September 25, 2020, 12:00:23 PM »
I was sooo disappointed with it. I know Barden isn't the greatest, but I was just looking forward to it.

Going through some of the mid career MSG albums, and if Wolfking considers Barden vanilla, I don't know what he'll call these jamokes.
These guys make Barden sound like damn chocolate.

I could have written this post. 100%.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #759 on: September 25, 2020, 12:08:46 PM »
I've got to revisit Making Contact.   I'll do that this weekend.   

Those pics are interesting.  I know shaved his head (I thought that was around the time of the Speak Of The Devil show) but I haven't seen too many photos of that.   I didn't know Pete ACTUALLY played with Ozzy; I thought it was another dine and dash like Fastway.    Man, is Tommy Aldridge skinny.  His hair must weigh more than his entire body.

(And that picture of Twisted at Reading looks like it was taken from one of the road cases! :) )

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #760 on: September 25, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »
Those pics are interesting.  I know shaved his head (I thought that was around the time of the Speak Of The Devil show) but I haven't seen too many photos of that.   I didn't know Pete ACTUALLY played with Ozzy; I thought it was another dine and dash like Fastway.   

You are right about the timing. Speak was recorded in Sept of '82 and released in November. Pete did the Fall '82 UK tour with Ozzy.

Ozzy helps Pete out again by taking Waysted on tour in the states in 1984.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #761 on: September 25, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
Paging TAC:

Pete Way, UFO’s bass guitarist, was one of rock’s most admired and celebrated performers. The co-writer of some of the band’s greatest songs, including Lights Out, Only You Can Rock Me and Too Hot To Handle, Way’s powerful playing and dynamic stage act captured the imagination of UFO audiences worldwide. Up until his death in August 2020, Way’s energy and style had made him an unforgettable rock star and an inspiration to both his contemporaries and future generations of musicians.

Ross Halfin and Rufus Publications are pleased to announce the publication of Pete Way by Ross Halfin, a 240-page celebration of UFO’s iconic bass player, containing classic and unseen images.

THE PRE-ORDER STARTS FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 25TH AT 3PM UK TIME. GET 10% OFF THE PRE-ORDER WITH THE CODE "WAY2020"

https://www.rufuspublications.com/rufusbooks/peteway
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline devieira73

« Reply #762 on: September 25, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »
TAC, that tour program is GOLD :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #763 on: September 25, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
Paging TAC:

Pete Way, UFO’s bass guitarist, was one of rock’s most admired and celebrated performers. The co-writer of some of the band’s greatest songs, including Lights Out, Only You Can Rock Me and Too Hot To Handle, Way’s powerful playing and dynamic stage act captured the imagination of UFO audiences worldwide. Up until his death in August 2020, Way’s energy and style had made him an unforgettable rock star and an inspiration to both his contemporaries and future generations of musicians.

Ross Halfin and Rufus Publications are pleased to announce the publication of Pete Way by Ross Halfin, a 240-page celebration of UFO’s iconic bass player, containing classic and unseen images.

THE PRE-ORDER STARTS FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 25TH AT 3PM UK TIME. GET 10% OFF THE PRE-ORDER WITH THE CODE "WAY2020"

https://www.rufuspublications.com/rufusbooks/peteway

WOW, that looks amazing.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to spend $93 on it.

Speaking of Ross Halfin books, I had meant to mention this book at the start of the thread, but for some reason I couldn't find an image of it.

When I was 14 or so, I actually had THIS book. It was released in late 1982.

It was a fantastic photo collection of Ross Halfin. As a youngster, obviously one is susceptible to a band's image. Well,  UFO might've had more shots in this book than any other band, most bands combined actually. I thought UFO looked cool as hell.
In fact, this picture was on the back cover..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #764 on: September 25, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »
TAC, that tour program is GOLD :hefdaddy

Cool! I'm glad you liked it. Found it in a record store back in the day, and I had to buy it.

I've posted a lot of my old programs in the Hard Rock Thread. I have a few Iron Maiden and Dio programs from the 80's, among others..

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: September 25, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »
Having a listen to Making Contact now.  Will post some thoughts soon.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: September 25, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »
So, I would say this is easily the best of the Chapman era UFO albums so far.  This one is really really good.  I love the full 80's AOR/melodic rock vibe and love everything Neil does here to make this sound like it does.  I have no issues with the production at all.  This sounds really

Blinded By A Lie:  Love it.  Could be the best Chapman song besides POV.  love the whole hard melodic rock vibe going on here.  Phil's vocals are sultry and warm and sound great.  Love that galloping solo section and Paul rips it up here, great solo.  I also get a bit of an 80's Rush vibe here and there too.

Diesel In the Dust:  The rock keeps going and this has a nice stomp to it.  The chorus is excellent and very melodic.  Nice variation between the verse and chorus too.  Nice simple, well written solo section too and Paul builds it really well.

A Fool For Love:  This has that happy UFO type thing going on and I wasn't too sure about that.  That heavier chorus refrain type section though is very good.  Classic UFO sounding there.  Phil sounds excellent too.  That chorus balances the song and I love the pure 80's solo section with the keyboards underneath.  Lovely.  paul's licks at 2:44 is bliss.

You and Me:  Love the mood of this one.  Neil adds such a great atmosphere on all the tracks too.  Such a wonderful musician.  That epic solo from Paul too, damn, what a section.  I wish he kept that going.  That bend at 2:21 is so tasty.  How he bends the note and in comes in before the start of the bar is fucking epic.

When it's Time to Rock:  I enjoyed the faster pace here.  I love the Judas Priest type intro too.   Interesting chorus but I actually don't mind it.  From 4:25 to the end, holy shit, this tips.  Paul I thought was decent on the last few albums but he steps it up on this record.  This solo is fucking awesome.

The Way the Wind Blows:  Another rocker which is most welcome.  Cool simple driving riffing.  Again the middle solo section is blistering.  Great expression from Paul in his solo.  He takes it back for the most part which works really well.  Those verses are classic UFO, again Phil sounds great.

Call My Name:  This is okay.  Again, we hear the happier sounding chorus here, but it's not bad.  This has a strong AOR melodic rock vibe too.  We hear some many bands rehash this exact structure in style in the Frontiers factory.  It's solid.

All Over You:  Yeah, this is nice.  Great intro and Paul again, plays nice and understated.  Love that bass in the verses too.  This one is nice as we have the same feel in the verses and chorus.  We've heard a lot of variation so far between section so getting something a bit more straight and narrow while still producing great sounds, atmospheres and strong vocals is really cool.  A little change up in the solo section which is great.  Great song.

No Getaway:  More classic UFO sounding here.  Simple and rightly placed in the album.  Again, strong solo section that takes things up a notch.

Push, It's Love:  Interesting.  Not the biggest fan, but apprecaite the band doing something different again.  Again, Paul shows some chops and takes the song to another level.

Everybody Knows:  Probably should have been in place of Push, It's Love.  I like the simplicity of the chorus, it's catchy.  Again, the solo section has a wonderful groove and Paul, classy as he has been all along here.  Love how there is an outro solo too.

Overall, I really like this, and could be top 3.  So much better than teh other 3 Chapman era albums for me.  Really really like this and will go back to it for sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #767 on: September 25, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »
Wow Kade, that's really awesome to read. I'm so glad you liked this.

I know how impressed you were with Michael Schenker, but I'm really happy you gave these four albums a chance. They are truly loaded with great tunes.

We have TWO more 1983 albums to discuss which I'll post in the morning...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: September 25, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
With Assault Attack, I enjoyed this when I first got my copy of the 5cd MSG collection thingy.  I didn't go on with it but going back to it now, I love it.

AA:  Epic opener and I love Bonnet here.  The rolling groove of the verses is so cool.  This song was actually a real grower.  I wasn't that keen at first but grew into a top track.  Interesting that there's no solo too, just that little harmonic minor type melody.

RYTTG:  Oh yeah, now this is groovy.  I love the structure of this and the whole blues vibe which I'm not normally a big fan of is killer here.  I love Graham's delivery for this song, it's perfect.  The whole way the verse has that hook and goes into the chorus is really cool songwriting.  The two and a half minute outro instrumental section is amazing.  Great expression from Shenker and really sinks he teeth into the music with his soloing, great expression.  Love how everything is nice and tame and then at 4:44 he climbs to the end, great stuff.

Dancer:  Yeah, this isn't a highlight, but I must admit this became a fun song.  It's cheesy, poppy but I don't mind listening to it.  That riff at 2:02 is bloody awesome too.  his solo is a nice contrast to the vibe of the song too.

Samurai: Great atmosphere from the get go and love that gallop.  Nothing to dislike about this song and I really enjoy Graham's vocal melodies in the verses.  Nice build again in the solo section and a great pulsing rhythm.  Really cool song, great feel, nice chorus too.

Desert Song:  Classic.  I really hear the Love to Love similarities Tim was talking about here.  Love the riff, the vibe, the more metal approach and just everything about it.  Everything about the music portrays the lyrics and mood of the song well too.  I like the quiet section and how it builds back into the main riff later in the song, that's nice.  That solo outro though, holy shit.  All class and Michael's phrasing and note selection is elite tier.  You can hear him dig in to the fretboard.  That bend at 5:17 portrays the song theme perfectly.  And then at 5:38, that Dorian run is so damn good.

Broken Promises:  I love the swagger of this one.  The whole thing probably doesn't need to be as long as it is, but I really enjoy the pace and groove of this one.  The solo is the best on the album.  How it kicks off and Grahams high note at 2:43 is so damn good.  Everything about this solo is perfect.  That lick at 3:07, holy shit.  Guitar playing at its best right here.  And then at 3:30 that harmonic minor change, fuck yeah!

SFAR:  Damn, I love the catchiness of that guitar lick, so sweet and light.  That's the theme throughout and it keeps me hooked.  I like Graham's harsher tone on this, it works well with the lighter mood IMO.  How it goes back into that melody at 2:02 is so good.

Ulcer:  A bit of Satch, a lot of Steve Vai, a bit of Van Halen, even later TMac I hear in here.  No, it's not Arena but it's something different and a great closer.  Simply some of Michael's faster playing is on display here in the solo.  Great tension with the key changes in the solo is epic.

Such a good album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: September 25, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »
Wow Kade, that's really awesome to read. I'm so glad you liked this.

I know how impressed you were with Michael Schenker, but I'm really happy you gave these four albums a chance. They are truly loaded with great tunes.

We have TWO more 1983 albums to discuss which I'll post in the morning...

The other three were not bad but I felt something missing.  This one has something the older UFO albums had IMO.