Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142981 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #700 on: September 24, 2020, 06:37:01 AM »
Huh, interested in your thoughts on it Tim.  Out of the 4 first MSG albums, for me, it's easily the best of the bunch.  No contest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #701 on: September 24, 2020, 06:58:26 AM »
I just listened to it a couple of days ago.

I have to go into Boston this morning, but when I get home I'll spin it and do a song by song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #702 on: September 24, 2020, 07:30:59 AM »
Summer of 82 and Budokan hadn't left my car since I taped (yes I bought the vinyl :P). A few of us were suggesting going to Reading again that year. Then we saw the line up: MSG, Maiden, Gary Moore, Blackfoot, so many good bands. Tickets bought. Shortly afterwards the news came through Graham Bonnet had replaced Gary Bardens... WTF!! Our immature attitude was dismay... Bardens was a rocker, he looked and sounded the part. Bonnet was a poser, HE HAD SHORT HAIR and yelled on Down To Earth. To be fairer, he had a great voice but it didn't seem right. Come Sunday night before headline time, yours truly flaked out after three days of solid drinking, soaked up by the occasional corn on the cob. I missed MSG. When I eventually came round back in the tent my friends were telling me how I missed a great show with Bardens ("Surprise, Surprise"), so I was sick again.

Assault Attack was rumoured to be delayed to allow Bardens to record his vocals in place of Bonnet's, but this was eventually deemed too costly. So it was a friend's turn to get this album. First impressions were not favourable, as Bonnet was yelling on every song and he wasn't a true rocker anyway, right? The single, Dancer, was too boppy, although a couple of other tracks were begrudgingly not bad, except Desert Song... that was the one, and I have still played over the years. The remainder of the album I forgot until another drunken night at my brothers home a good decade or so later. Hmmm it's not such a bad album, but I wouldn't go get my own copy so forgot it again.

So here we are on TAC's thread and I might have grown up... Bonnet is obviously a great singer when I have heard him on other LPs. Unfortunately my first impression on AA was so so, rather the first two tracks were. More Bonnet yelling with MS seemingly a little in the background. Then Dancer... this song is fun and catchy and far better than I remember, even if it is commercial. Samurai... now were talking, this is proper MSG. Desert Song is still a top class Schenker tune, with a better outro than I appreciated previously. Broken Promises also carries on the quality from the previous two songs, but not quite as good. Searching for a Reason is OK, better than the two openers, whilst Ulcer is not as good as ...Arena, but still a refreshing change to give Bonnet a rest. Girl from Uptown is a nice bonus and I'm sure would have been better placed than either of the first two cuts.
Finally we have a great sounding studio MSG album (Martin Birch), but the teaming of MSG with Graham Bonnet didn't quite click the way the label or management would have hoped IMO. I wonder if it would have been any better had Bardens laid down his vocals instead?

This was written after one listen tonight, so I will try play again (long suffering gf permitting) to see if there is any altered opinion. But who really cares what I think anyway...  ;D
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #703 on: September 24, 2020, 07:50:28 AM »
Phil is like the Bruce Springsteen of British hard rock.

I'm sure this was meant as a compliment, but to me this is exactly the same as saying Garth Brooks is the Paul Stanley of Country Music.

Okay, I took one for the team and listened to Mechanix. Next.

See, you forgot who you're talking to.  Garth Brooks as Paul Stanley? I'm up for that!  (Garth is, by the way, a big Kiss fan).

I meant the Phil thing only in the sense that he seems to write about real people, and without judgment, two things that Springsteen does as well as anyone.   There's a... humanity and a depth to Mogg's lyrics that I don't think is expected given the band, the genre, and the "mythology" around them (street fighters, drunks and drug addicts).  I love Kiss like a brother, but I can't say there's even ONE lyric in their entire catalogue where I go "huh, that's ME!" (well, there is ONE: "Larger Than Life").  There are easily 10 UFO songs that fall into that category. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: September 24, 2020, 07:54:21 AM »
Kade, at some point in this thread, I would really like you to cite some Pearl Jam tracks. Not to put you on the spot, but this genuinely interests me. Pearl Jam is a band I respect the hell out of, but I just can't listen to them for extended periods of time. I'm really not familiar with their catalog. I bought their first album, but never followed up with them.

I'd like in on that too, because I would find that interesting.   I know McCready is a HUGE UFO fan (I already said he's been in a UFO cover band for almost 20 years now), and has been known to cop things he likes (the solo for Alive is essentially the solo from "She" by Kiss, which is itself a cop of the Doors song, "Five To One".)   But Eddie is so much a voice in that band, and he's a Who guy, so that's where a lot of the obvious influences are.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: September 24, 2020, 07:59:08 AM »
mind blown by Van Halen's Me Wise Magic in '96

NICE!   Top ten VH song for me.  LOVE that tune. "Do you believe.........."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: September 24, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »

He was cool AF on that tour. The only singer that didn't look like he was having a good time was Doogie, which is unfortunate because he's made the best music of his career with Doogie since these early 80's albums.

So, I posted the picture before, and someone said "Gary Barden and Chris Glen".  I'm assuming that was a jab at me because I'm fat, but for those that DON'T know, that was a pic of Gary Barden and ME.   The show was at Irving Plaza, and after the show, there were two busses outside.  Michael ran out, hopped in a cab and took off, but most of the rest of the band was very cool.  Gary and I had a cigarette (well, he had a cigarette) and chatted for a good 15 minutes.  He was SOOOO cool.  I even asked him if he wanted a minute or if I could say hello, and he said sure, if you don't mind my smoke.  I think he appreciated a fan that wasn't up in his grill with autographs and shit (HE actually suggested the photo, after some other fans came by for autographs, and didn't take any other pictures that I saw) and was very down to earth.   Chris Glen (I have a photo of him too) was a gas; he was like a standup comedian on the side walk.   Calling for Ted McKenna to come join him in pictures, etc.  Ted was a very nice gentleman, shaking hands with anyone that would come by.   Graham was... polite, but wanted to be on the bus, it seems.  Some people got autographs, no pictures (that I saw), but he wasn't a dick.   Doogie... I'm convinced he wasn't feeling well (if memory serves, it was February in NYC; I know Gary and I talked about the shitty northeast weather and what it does to a singing voice).   He came out with a hoodie pulled low, didn't interact, didn't sign anything, didn't take any pictures.  He wasn't "rude" per se, he said hello, but he marched directly from the door of the venue to the bus and that was that.   

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #707 on: September 24, 2020, 08:08:30 AM »
Finished my first listen and Let it Rain IMO is awful.  That chorus is like a Wiggled song or something.

I see I am not alone. The chorus just ruins what I think is an otherwise pretty good song. When I was trying to think of how to describe it in my earlier post, the thought was something along the line of why would they put this happy sounding kid-song like chorus in this track? You then site The Wiggles.

Let it rain, let it rain
On my big red car
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #708 on: September 24, 2020, 08:15:13 AM »
About Assault Attack, it’s at a very similar level of MSG (81). Another great, great album, plenty of great songs. Maybe Desert Song is the best here, with its incredible mood. Other than that, I just want to highlight that amazing rhythm guitar at 2:03 and 2:33 of Dancer, one of my all time favorites guitar parts of Schenker. This album also has the bonus of the wonderful Martin Birch’s production, one of the best in his career, no doubt.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: September 24, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
Stads, that was me who posted the Gary Barden and Chris Glen caption.  ;D
Just being a wise ass.

The difference between you and Chris Glen is still a hundred pound gap.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #710 on: September 24, 2020, 08:30:18 AM »
Finished my first listen and Let it Rain IMO is awful.  That chorus is like a Wiggled song or something.

I see I am not alone. The chorus just ruins what I think is an otherwise pretty good song. When I was trying to think of how to describe it in my earlier post, the thought was something along the line of why would they put this happy sounding kid-song like chorus in this track? You then site The Wiggles.

Let it rain, let it rain
On my big red car

Has a great guitar solo from Murray!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #711 on: September 24, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »
I just want to highlight that amazing rhythm guitar at 2:03 and 2:33 of Dancer, one of my all time favorites guitar parts of Schenker.

It’s a great rhythm. Feels a bit similar to what he plays under the Feels Like A Good Thing solo.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »
Assault Attack...  ugh.  So mixed feelings.

I was familiar with Bonnet from Rainbow's "Down To Earth", which is an album I like not love (though it's grown on me over the years).   Later I liked him in Alcatrazz, but being a Barden fan, this album was not something I was looking for.   

The good:   Schenker and his tone.  Holy crap does he sound good on this.  The harmonics and then the harmony part of the solo on "Rock You To The Ground" are like listening to church bells.  I don't mind Dancer at all because the guitars are just beautiful (though the lyrics are atrocious.  "Not ideally built for ballet"?  Wha?).  Samurai; that GUITAR (this is becoming a theme); reminds me a lot of what Steve Morse sounds like now.  Broken Promises and Saerching For A Reason are okay but more the same.  I actually DIG Ulcer; I like the harmony guitars and the shuffle beat.

The bad:  Bonnet.  He's a yeller, like Coverdale can be, and worse for me, he's a breather.  All I can hear in his vocals is the breaths in between screams.   It's certainly "rock!" but after Barden and Mogg (though to be fair, I hadn't heard of Phil Mogg in '82) it's not what I think of when I think of Michael Schenker.

Trivia:  Recorded at the Chateau d'Herouville where Elton John recorded so much of his classic works (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for one), and where Tull recorded the famous "Chateau d'Isaster" tapes.  Also, Tommy Eyre plays keyboards; among other things, he played with Gary Moore, Wham! and he plays on Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", a favorite of mine.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: September 24, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »
Stads, that was me who posted the Gary Barden and Chris Glen caption.  ;D
Just being a wise ass.

The difference between you and Chris Glen is still a hundred pound gap.  :lol

Thank god...... :) :) :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #714 on: September 24, 2020, 09:28:26 AM »
Revisiting AA blew me away.  The production and sound Birch has given us here is mind blowing.  The whole sound is amazing.  The songs also are awesome.   I'll post individual song thoughts on this too soon.

Yeah its a great one but I guess it depends if you like Bonnett at all. I love him generally but he is a one trick pony. Everything is belted. He can still do it now too, with a bad back!

We discussed Desert Song a while ago and it's a great track. Several parts to it but cohesive and I'm a sucker for anything middle eastern sounding (thank you Ritchie Blackmore).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: September 24, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »
Assault Attack...  ugh.  So mixed feelings.

I was familiar with Bonnet from Rainbow's "Down To Earth", which is an album I like not love (though it's grown on me over the years).   Later I liked him in Alcatrazz, but being a Barden fan, this album was not something I was looking for.   

The good:   Schenker and his tone.  Holy crap does he sound good on this.  The harmonics and then the harmony part of the solo on "Rock You To The Ground" are like listening to church bells.  I don't mind Dancer at all because the guitars are just beautiful (though the lyrics are atrocious.  "Not ideally built for ballet"?  Wha?).  Samurai; that GUITAR (this is becoming a theme); reminds me a lot of what Steve Morse sounds like now.  Broken Promises and Saerching For A Reason are okay but more the same.  I actually DIG Ulcer; I like the harmony guitars and the shuffle beat.

The bad:  Bonnet.  He's a yeller, like Coverdale can be, and worse for me, he's a breather.  All I can hear in his vocals is the breaths in between screams.   It's certainly "rock!" but after Barden and Mogg (though to be fair, I hadn't heard of Phil Mogg in '82) it's not what I think of when I think of Michael Schenker.

Generally, I am in your camp totally.

Assault Attack- I've always liked this song. I think it's the strongest song on the album. But Bonnet screaming he's gonna kick me in the head right off...WTF??

Rock You To The Ground- Honestly, I hate this song...the song part. But the instrumental part is f'n spectacular. When Stadler says "The harmonics and then the harmony part of the solo on "Rock You To The Ground" are like listening to church bells."
Amen Brother!

Dancer is OK. Pretty mediocre. Nice playing from Michael for sure.

Samurai- Love the beginning to this song.

Desert Song- Excellent tune

Broken Promises-Worst song on the album. Never thought, much of it. And Graham, WTF are you screaming for??

Searching For A Reason- Sounds like it could've come from the first two MSG albums. Especially the beginning. But I swear Bonnet gargles his way through the whole thing. This song simply never lives up to it's opening lines. Until it closes with them.

Ulcer-Mailed in. Completely

Girl From Uptown-This song blows chunks.

Assault Attack has a solid Side 1 and a weak Side 2.
This album sounds amazing though and I wish MSG and Built To Destroy sounded the same. Michael's playing, especially on Side 1 is incredible. But this album feels a little short on material.

And it's not that I don't like Graham Bonnet...it's just I don't "like" him, if you know what I mean. I think frankly, he ruins the albums he's on. I was as disappointed with this as I was when I bought No Parole. His screeching is simply "in the way".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:02:16 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #716 on: September 24, 2020, 12:50:45 PM »
Summer of 82 and Budokan hadn't left my car since I taped (yes I bought the vinyl :P). A few of us were suggesting going to Reading again that year. Then we saw the line up: MSG, Maiden, Gary Moore, Blackfoot, so many good bands. Tickets bought. Shortly afterwards the news came through Graham Bonnet had replaced Gary Bardens... WTF!! Our immature attitude was dismay... Bardens was a rocker, he looked and sounded the part. Bonnet was a poser, HE HAD SHORT HAIR and yelled on Down To Earth. To be fairer, he had a great voice but it didn't seem right. Come Sunday night before headline time, yours truly flaked out after three days of solid drinking, soaked up by the occasional corn on the cob. I missed MSG. When I eventually came round back in the tent my friends were telling me how I missed a great show with Bardens ("Surprise, Surprise"), so I was sick again.

Assault Attack was rumoured to be delayed to allow Bardens to record his vocals in place of Bonnet's, but this was eventually deemed too costly. So it was a friend's turn to get this album. First impressions were not favourable, as Bonnet was yelling on every song and he wasn't a true rocker anyway, right? The single, Dancer, was too boppy, although a couple of other tracks were begrudgingly not bad, except Desert Song... that was the one, and I have still played over the years. The remainder of the album I forgot until another drunken night at my brothers home a good decade or so later. Hmmm it's not such a bad album, but I wouldn't go get my own copy so forgot it again.

So here we are on TAC's thread and I might have grown up... Bonnet is obviously a great singer when I have heard him on other LPs. Unfortunately my first impression on AA was so so, rather the first two tracks were. More Bonnet yelling with MS seemingly a little in the background. Then Dancer... this song is fun and catchy and far better than I remember, even if it is commercial. Samurai... now were talking, this is proper MSG. Desert Song is still a top class Schenker tune, with a better outro than I appreciated previously. Broken Promises also carries on the quality from the previous two songs, but not quite as good. Searching for a Reason is OK, better than the two openers, whilst Ulcer is not as good as ...Arena, but still a refreshing change to give Bonnet a rest. Girl from Uptown is a nice bonus and I'm sure would have been better placed than either of the first two cuts.
Finally we have a great sounding studio MSG album (Martin Birch), but the teaming of MSG with Graham Bonnet didn't quite click the way the label or management would have hoped IMO. I wonder if it would have been any better had Bardens laid down his vocals instead?

This was written after one listen tonight, so I will try play again (long suffering gf permitting) to see if there is any altered opinion. But who really cares what I think anyway...  ;D

Thank you for that Mac! Reading must've been sick. Leaving before MSG?? That blows.

You should've checked Twitter earlier in the day! :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: September 24, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »
Ah, Assault Attack. Perhaps the biggest squandered opportunity in rock history.

First, a moment of reverence for Martin Birch. The production and engineering on this album has all the elements that gave us such classics as Rising, Heaven & Hell, Fire of Unknown Origin, and nine Iron Maiden Albums. If you listen to this album with good head phones, he’s put Michael’s guitars right inside your ears in the most pleasant way possible. He knew who the star of this recording was and the clarity and care with which he captured the performances is nothing less than perfect.

And Schenker himself is in his finest form. From creativity, to song structure, to note selection, and performance. His leads are tasteful, jaw dropping, and fit the compositions like a glove. This album is a fine document of Schenker at the height of his powers.

Add in the sneaky good combination of Glen and McKenna on bass and drums respectively. Birch found plenty of sonic space for them to lay down tasty grooves that must have had Michael grinning with glee. If you want to have someone pound drums for you, it’s usually a good idea to find a Scotsman.

But then…the entire enterprise is power-nerfed by inane and painfully obvious lyrics. By the over-singing. Ladies and gentlefish, for your cartoon amusement, I give you the clown prince of bellowing, the Destructor of Rainbow, Graham Bonnet! God, this guy makes Barden sound like Bocelli. Birch nearly saved it by centering him in the mix and putting the vocals as far away as he could. Nearly.

I want to love this album. I really do, but other than Ulcer, I hope I never have to listen to it again.

EDIT: I posted this before I read the above. I was prepared to take heat for my thoughts on this album...but, apparently not.  :rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #718 on: September 24, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »
Yes, all of that!

And amongst the recent deaths in the UFO family, Ted McKenna was really the first blow. I'm just thankful to have seen him before he passed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #719 on: September 24, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »

EDIT: I posted this before I read the above. I was prepared to take heat for my thoughts on this album...but, apparently not.  :rollin

Nope. In fact..

God, I'm starting to sound like TAC now.

:lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: September 24, 2020, 02:22:10 PM »
Phil is like the Bruce Springsteen of British hard rock.

I'm sure this was meant as a compliment, but to me this is exactly the same as saying Garth Brooks is the Paul Stanley of Country Music.

Okay, I took one for the team and listened to Mechanix. Next.

See, you forgot who you're talking to.  Garth Brooks as Paul Stanley? I'm up for that!  (Garth is, by the way, a big Kiss fan).

No duh! Why the hell do you think I put it that way?  :rollin :rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: September 24, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »
Jesus, I think Graham kicks ass on this whole fucking album.  A welcome relief from Barden's vanilla vocals.

I never would have picked the negativity.  I'll post breakdowns of each song and more thoughts if I ever get to sit down for an hour on my home PC.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #722 on: September 24, 2020, 03:10:28 PM »
Bonnet has always written weird lyrical topics.
He’s still doing it. His latest album has a song about polar bears 🤘🤘🤘

And I’m with Kade. I’d take Graham overBarden.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: September 24, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »

That Polar Bear song was great.  I will have to check that new album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #724 on: September 24, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »

That Polar Bear song was great.  I will have to check that new album.

Polar Bear  :lol

Yeah, that wasn't a bad song, but that album kinda blows,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: September 24, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
Just going to put this here:

"She works at it hard and she keeps herself to herself
But she can take what she gets anyway
She talks of the things and places she wants to go
But she knows that she wants all the things she wants

She's a great dancer
Not ideally built for ballet
She's got her calling card to live this way
The young teenage boys
Would climb on cars just to take a look
They watch her move, schoolboy dreamers fantasy

Everybody knows, she knows, she knows
She's got a good voice
She's keen and got some visual sense
She's keen and has to take a chance
Which she knows in her streetwise way"

Are you friggin' kidding me?   Why didn't someone pull him aside and ask GRAHAM to write the lyrics instead of his eight year old kid?  I'm pretty sure Michael in his broken Germanic English could do better than that.   "She knows that she wants all the things that she wants"?   "She's keen and got some visual sense"?   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: September 24, 2020, 04:14:16 PM »
But, she's a great dancer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: September 24, 2020, 04:15:25 PM »
Lyrics were never something I paid much attention to with any music I've ever listened to.  It just doesn't carry much weight for me. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #728 on: September 24, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »
Are you friggin' kidding me?   Why didn't someone pull him aside and ask GRAHAM to write the lyrics instead of his eight year old kid?   

As long as he doesn't ask Robin McAuley..

Open up your heart I'm comin' through your world today
Release yourself upon my eagerness In every way
So young and innocent, too naive to understand
I'll take you by the hand And lead you to the promised land

Wind that beats across my face Rain that soaks my skin
Excitement that I feel down below And deep within
Each time I look at you My little girl, I know it's true
I just can't help myself Can't stop myself all over you

I'm just a spirit on a mission from above
Sent here to satisfy the lust we're all thinkin' of
Your conscience holds the sins, beg me for forgiveness
The penance you receive Will fill your heart with happiness

Save Yourself I have come to take your soul
To save yourself Your finest hour has just begun
Save yourself A night with me is all it takes

I've never known so much power Since it all began
The Lord him self must have touched me With his very hand
Such loveliness lying here before This troubled man
My little angel spread your wings And fly me upside down

I'm just a spirit on a mission from above
Sent here to satisfy the lust we're all thinkin' of
Your conscience holds the sins, beg me for forgiveness
The penance you receive Will fill your heart with happiness

Save Yourself I have come to take your soul
Save yourself A night with me is all it takes

I think I'm gonna announce tonight to The Lovely Mrs TAC
"RELEASE YOURSELF UPON MY EAGERNESS!"

Yeah, that oughta work. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #729 on: September 24, 2020, 04:22:56 PM »
Jesus, I think Graham kicks ass on this whole fucking album.  A welcome relief from Barden's vanilla vocals.

So couple things regarding Barden.

First, I've been listening to him for almost 40 years. I'm kind of used to him. Yes, he songs on one of my favorite albums, and yes, I love Budokan.

Second, I love it in spite of him. I think he's fine on MSG, but he's really not all that good. Live he's worse.

Schenker reunites the band from the first album for an album in 2008, and Barden sounds awful. In fact the entire album pretty much blows.

But at least with Barden and Bonnet, there's some character behind the vocals. That is something that would be sorely missed from MSG albums for a long time, that is until Doogie comes along.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »
Just going to put this here:

"She works at it hard and she keeps herself to herself
But she can take what she gets anyway
She talks of the things and places she wants to go
But she knows that she wants all the things she wants

She's a great dancer
Not ideally built for ballet
She's got her calling card to live this way
The young teenage boys
Would climb on cars just to take a look
They watch her move, schoolboy dreamers fantasy

Everybody knows, she knows, she knows
She's got a good voice
She's keen and got some visual sense
She's keen and has to take a chance
Which she knows in her streetwise way"

Little known fact. That was the second draft. The first draft was.

She wakes up in the mornin'
Has a bit of a piss
Pours a large cuppa
Pulls leotards over her bum
Gets a lift to the studio

SHE'S A GREAT DANCER

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:49 PM »
I'm looking forward to the rest of the MSG albums more than the UFO if I'm being honest Tim.

I loved Doogie with Yngwie so looking forward to those.

Listening to AA in the car again this morning, the production helps the songs a lot.  One of the cleanest and greatest albums I've heard.  Sonically unreal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #732 on: September 24, 2020, 05:53:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to the rest of the MSG albums more than the UFO if I'm being honest Tim.

Both discographies have hits and misses. We still have yet to hear from the second best UFO guitarist, and the second best UFO live album.
Plus remember, these are the CLASSIC MSG albums. Many artists chase their classic periods for the rest of their career. Michael Schenker really isn't much different.

Plus, don't forget, Michael Schenker does three more albums with UFO!!

I loved Doogie with Yngwie so looking forward to those.

The two albums that were straight Doogie before the MSFest albums are the most inspired writing from Michael in a long time. Memorable songs with great hooks all over those two albums.

Listening to AA in the car again this morning, the production helps the songs a lot.  One of the cleanest and greatest albums I've heard.  Sonically unreal.

So yes this is all true. It sounds amazing, and I think it inflates the album's actual worth, especially compared to the other three of the first four albums, which songwise, I feel are stronger than AA.

I mean, can you imagine Looking For Love with this production?? Holy shit!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:47:30 PM by TAC »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #733 on: September 24, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »

Schenker reunites the band from the first album for an album in 2008, and Barden sounds awful. In fact the entire album pretty much blows.

Ah, yes, I forgot about In the Midst of Beauty. It does indeed blow, and not just because of Barden.

In the Midst of Mediocrity.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #734 on: September 24, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »
I was sooo disappointed with it. I know Barden isn't the greatest, but I was just looking forward to it.

Going through some of the mid career MSG albums, and if Wolfking considers Barden vanilla, I don't know what he'll call these jamokes.
These guys make Barden sound like damn chocolate.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:23:59 PM by TAC »