Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142780 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Phenomenon
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2020, 01:24:56 AM »
I own this one on CD, somewhere.  Will try and find it so I can spin it in the car.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2020, 06:03:43 AM »
I mentioned in the writeup, but I just want to say it again that the solo in Time On My Hands is amazing. One of my favorite moments in their catalog. I love how the section goes on long enough for the solo to fully develop.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2020, 06:13:48 AM »
Ah, the first proper UFO album!  :biggrin:

It's ok. There's clearly two quite phenomenal  ;) songs here, but he rest is ok.

I've always loved Phil's voice. He just seems like a mate telling stories where you're never quite sure what he's going on about, but he's entertaining so you listen.

And Schenker. Well, he's young here but what a player.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2020, 06:16:40 AM »
Have this CD out and ready to go in the car on the way to work tomorrow.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2020, 06:29:15 AM »
Listening now and its a better album than I remember. There hasn't been a bad song yet and I do recognise many of these that I thought I was unfamiliar with so I must have played it a fair bit at one time.
I'll say it again - Schenker  :hefdaddy

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2020, 06:43:11 AM »

Yeah, his lead playing was unique at this point in his career. It's hard to describe, but his note choices, phrasing, and tone really spoke to me and was like nothing else I was familiar with. The rockingest music I owned when this album came out was Zep II, Aqualung, and Styx II but those were more blues based rock. The riff for Rock Bottom and the lead guitar work on this album was just so different--heavier but so melodic. By the time the next few albums came out, Schenker was my favorite guitarist and would remain so for many years.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2020, 07:07:49 AM »

Yeah, his lead playing was unique at this point in his career. It's hard to describe, but his note choices, phrasing, and tone really spoke to me and was like nothing else I was familiar with. The rockingest music I owned when this album came out was Zep II, Aqualung, and Styx II but those were more blues based rock. The riff for Rock Bottom and the lead guitar work on this album was just so different--heavier but so melodic. By the time the next few albums came out, Schenker was my favorite guitarist and would remain so for many years.

Really looking forward to jamming this one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2020, 07:27:26 AM »
I was secretlt very pleased with myself when I learned to play Rock Bottom - not the solo though. I'm nowhere near good enough for that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2020, 07:30:40 AM »
I was secretlt very pleased with myself when I learned to play Rock Bottom - not the solo though. I'm nowhere near good enough for that.

Oh not the solo?

Then probably best to keep it a secret.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »

Oh not the solo?

I can't play anyone's solos. Just haven't got the memory for it. takes all my time to remember riffs. The riff was tricky. my fingers just didn't want to do it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2020, 08:43:58 AM »
Just busting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2020, 11:46:14 AM »
The faces on the back looked like me and some of my friends (except we wore shirts).

HAHAHA that made me laugh out loud.

(By the way, I'm with you on Doctor, Doctor; good not great.  I honestly like it best when it's played loud through the PA before Maiden take the stage.)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
Had another listen today. So much nostalgia.

Another thing that I admired about Schenker was his improvisational talent. The lead breaks on these records (and live as well) were never written out note for note, but instead the band just had a framework of underlying music. Michael would just feel inspired and well... not wing it exactly--he would often have certain progressions or licks in certain spots--but everything else was left to improve and inspiration in the moment. I just love that! It keeps him on the razors edge, keeps him interested, and while it doesn't always work, there are times (more often than not) that it's simply magic.

I assume, for the studio albums, he would do several takes until he or the producer were satisfied, but I'm actually not sure. I'd love to ask him someday.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline emtee

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
When so many people have connected with a band and I have tried multiple times through the years to feel that connection, but can't, it kinda bums me out. Like I'm missing something crucial that I need to get. UFO is one of those bands. I owned one album. They just don't connect with me. Bummer.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »

Oh not the solo?

Wow.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »
When so many people have connected with a band and I have tried multiple times through the years to feel that connection, but can't, it kinda bums me out. Like I'm missing something crucial that I need to get. UFO is one of those bands. I owned one album. They just don't connect with me. Bummer.

Which one?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2020, 04:13:29 PM »

I understand this with UFO.  I even purchased a lot of their albums over the years to try and get into them more.  I've said before I like the later stuff more but hoping this thread expands my view on the Schenker stuff more.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
Heading off for work and should get about half a listen to the album in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »

And the other half on the way home?  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »

And the other half on the way home?  ;D

Pretty much.  :lol

That's my life.

Offline emtee

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2020, 04:27:30 PM »

Which one?

Lights Out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »
Many consider that one a favorite. I personally do not.

Well, give the albums a listen. I had never heard a Jethro Tull album before, and I made it through Orbert's thread.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »
I'm already listening ahead.  Force It is excellent  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »
Alright, as a guitarist, I feel a bit ashamed not really delving into Schenker a little more.  I have so many albums in my collection that I would have never listened to properly and I believe these UFO ones are no exception. 

Halfway through this album and it's very cool.  But the guitar playing is just unreal.

The version I have opens with Oh My.  It seems Oh My and Too Young to Know are switched around for some reason.  Oh My was a solid opener though and I love the guitar work here.  The playing here reminds me a lot of Guthrie Govan's style actually. 

Crystal Light was a nice number and I love Schenkers guitar tones.

Doctor Doctor is obvioulsy a song I know well, but that's a cracker of a tune.  That whole intro is amazing.

Space Child is something really special.  This moment just now I kind of realised the big deal about Schenker.  That solo was bloody incredible.  A four minute song with a guitar solo going for a minute 40!?  Love it.  The pure expression and feel he has when playing is top notch.  The note selections and phrasing are second to none.  A player that really feels the music and connects with the instrument.

I thought that was good then Rock Bottom started.  Man, that riff is sexy.  That solo though, holy shitballs!  How am I just hearing this now, what an incredible 2 minutes 20 or so!  I almost crashed my car it was so good.  I rewound it again in the work carpark to listen again.  What a buildup, what a groove, the way he builds the solos is pure class.  Again, some interesting note selctions and the phrasing and expression is wicked.  Really impressed.  Looking forward to the second half of the album on the way home.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
Alright, as a guitarist, I feel a bit ashamed not really delving into Schenker a little more.  I have so many albums in my collection that I would have never listened to properly and I believe these UFO ones are no exception. 

Halfway through this album and it's very cool.  But the guitar playing is just unreal.

The version I have opens with Oh My.  It seems Oh My and Too Young to Know are switched around for some reason.  Oh My was a solid opener though and I love the guitar work here.  The playing here reminds me a lot of Guthrie Govan's style actually. 

Doctor Doctor is obvioulsy a song I know well, but that's a cracker of a tune.  That whole intro is amazing.

Space Child is something really special.  This moment just now I kind of realised the big deal about Schenker.  That solo was bloody incredible.  A four minute song with a guitar solo going for a minute 40!?  Love it.  The pure expression and feel he has when playing is top notch.  The note selections and phrasing are second to none.  A player that really feels the music and connects with the instrument.

I thought that was good then Rock Bottom started.  Man, that riff is sexy.  That solo though, holy shitballs!  How am I just hearing this now, what an incredible 2 minutes 20 or so!  I almost crashed my car it was so good.  I rewound it again in the work carpark to listen again.  What a buildup, what a groove, the way he builds the solos is pure class.  Again, some interesting note selctions and the phrasing and expression is wicked.  Really impressed.  Looking forward to the second half of the album on the way home.

What if I told you he recorded this album when he was 18?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2020, 06:52:56 PM »

What if I told you he recorded this album when he was 18?

Yeah, lol that's prodigy like.

The other thing I noticed is that you can hear all 3 of the Maiden boys are influenced by this guy.  I hear all three of them in the solos of Rock Bottom and Space Child.  His tone is nice and Tipton like too.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2020, 07:21:12 PM »
I went crazy over Rock Bottom over in the official UFO thread. That whole song is just magic. Schenker, of course, tears it up but Pete really shines there as well.

Where's my award? I just finished Strangers In The Night two nights ago. I'm way ahead!  :metal
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
Where's my award? I just finished Strangers In The Night two nights ago. I'm way ahead!  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2020, 07:26:52 PM »

I'm gonna get me one of these.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2020, 07:27:35 PM »
I went crazy over Rock Bottom over in the official UFO thread. That whole song is just magic. Schenker, of course, tears it up but Pete really shines there as well.

I'm going to have to learn to play it I think.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »
And post a youtube link in the thread. Maybe just learn the solo. Seems Paul has the main riff covered. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2020, 07:47:31 PM »
And post a youtube link in the thread. Maybe just learn the solo. Seems Paul has the main riff covered. :lol

:lol  you're a fucker!  :lol

I haven't recorded a vid for years, I'll see what I can do.  Might just see if I can do a shitty one through my phone or something.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2020, 08:32:28 PM »
From Schenker;

Speaking about the freeform nature of this song and how he improvises it during live performances, Schenker told us: "'Rock Bottom' has that piece in the middle of free expression, and it's perfect for me because I love pure self-expression. It's a really, really good part to play over that particular chord there, and it leaves a lot of space to come up with a whole bunch of creative ideas. Over the years, the solos have changed. I keep the basic structure of it, but there is a lot of space to put new 'sparks' on here and there and keep it fresh.

It's always enjoyable to play over and over and over, because I can be very creative with it on the spot. That's a very fascinating, enjoyable part of music for me."

I thought all that the moment I heard it.  Would be great to improvise over this one and can see Schenker going off in a live setting.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
Hint, Hint

Rock Bottom is 11:26 on Strangers In The Night.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history