Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143332 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's awesome, Chad. Glad to finally have you aboard!

I'll probably be gone again for a few days until I'm fully caught up.  By the weekend I'll be back.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome! There's a lot of good stuff coming up!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
@ Podaar...Gregg, how long did you stay up on MSG. I'm interested in your thoughts on this album.
Did you give The Wild The Willing And The Innocent a shot? Did you see them again during this era?

If you'd slow the fuck down, we could climax at the same time, rabbit boy.  :)  I just don't have the opportunity to spend as much time on DTF and listen to these albums a few times before you move on.  So like Chad, you'll get my responses when you get them, buddy.

I have both vinyl albums, I've had them since release. Neither one have I replaced digitally though and I no longer have a turntable, so... I'd like to get reacquainted with them before I post my thoughts/memories. I've never heard the live album and I'd like to.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
If you'd slow the fuck down, we could climax at the same time, rabbit boy.  :)  I just don't have the opportunity to spend as much time on DTF and listen to these albums a few times before you move on.  So like Chad, you'll get my responses when you get them, buddy.

Exactly... I mean, I only got 1 cursory listen, and one more 'dedicated' listen to each album so far.  Trying to keep pace, while listening to other things (new releases, old favorites, Iron Maiden for Kade's list) has been a bit of a chore.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
@ Podaar...Gregg, how long did you stay up on MSG. I'm interested in your thoughts on this album.
Did you give The Wild The Willing And The Innocent a shot? Did you see them again during this era?

I have both vinyl albums, I've had them since release. Neither one have I replaced digitally though and I no longer have a turntable, so... I'd like to get reacquainted with them before I post my thoughts/memories. I've never heard the live album and I'd like to.

OK.. I'll take a breather! :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Just don't post three albums one on top of each other.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Premature Trackulation...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
So onto late '81 and I heard a great rock tune on daytime Radio 1 (always a big event). Are You Ready to Rock alerted me MSG was back, so I went and got this album on release. I wasn't disappointed and thought it even better than the first one... it sounded more like a group effort than Schenker, Bardens and a couple of (very good) session musicians, so several of these tracks made it onto my mix tapes.

And yet MSG didn't last the course like TWTWATI. Until last week I hadn't listened to this album for a good few years. I just span it again and although I still really love On and On, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie and But I Want More, some of the other tracks sound a bit more derivative... they're still good but maybe I was missing more of the slightly unexpected twists that Schenker brought to UFO. He's in top form of course, but maybe Chrysalis were looking for a more commercial direction. This brings me to Never Trust A Stranger. Paul Raymond had written some great songs previously, with wonderful MS collaboration/interpretation. NTAS doesn't continue this and yet it wasn't a single.

I should point out that I now have the double album CD containing the '80 and '81 albums together, purchased sometime last decade and I believe the sound quality may not be what it should. If there are remasters of these since, I will try source them. However meantime I will check out Live At Budokan, another album I bought on release, and which I raved about for a long time. Like SITN, I believed this to contain superior versions to the studio ones. On with the action...
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought the pace was fine and I have bugger all time for music at the moment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's cool thank you. I did sneak WWI in over the weekend.

My biggest issue in thinking about doing this is what kind of pace do I set. I'm sensitive that I might go too fast, and I worry about going too slow. There's a lot of ground to cover. We still have well over 25 years of albums to get through. :lol

It was important to me to also present Michael Schenker as well. I will be stacking some albums together during parts of this thread.
For example, My plan is to present the three McCauley Schenker Group albums in one post.

Heck, just for 1983, we have THREE albums to discuss.

I'll post Mechanix once Podaar has a chance to catch up. I definitely don't want to move on without him. :)

Offline Lowdz

Making Contact came on in the car today so that was convenient.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I think over-all, you're doing a great job.   Personally, I'm not really on over the weekends, but I can do a ton of listening so it evens out.   

The great thing about this forum is that we're not shy.  If you go too fast, Podaar will tell you to slow the fuck down.   If you go too slow, you'll get fifteen popcorn emojis.  :) :) :)

I don't mind the break because this is my wheelhouse; I spent so much time with MSG, Assault Attack and Built To Destroy it's not funny.  But I also recently got into UFO and I like this period (though it is a bit up and down; TWTWATI doesn't do much for me, but Mechanix is killer).     

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's cool thank you. I did sneak WWI in over the weekend.

My biggest issue in thinking about doing this is what kind of pace do I set. I'm sensitive that I might go too fast, and I worry about going too slow. There's a lot of ground to cover. We still have well over 25 years of albums to get through. :lol

It was important to me to also present Michael Schenker as well. I will be stacking some albums together during parts of this thread.
For example, My plan is to present the three McCauley Schenker Group albums in one post.

Heck, just for 1983, we have THREE albums to discuss.

I'll post Mechanix once Podaar has a chance to catch up. I definitely don't want to move on without him. :)

You're doing good mate.  No matter what speed you go, it's going to be impossible to find a sweet spot that suits everyone.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's all good. I really appreciate everyone's responses in the thread. I'm so happy with the participation.

I've spent the day preparing the next week and a half's posts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I found this earlier; kind of sad to read.  Guy developed quite the life for himself and was apparently well-loved in his community.  The "Lou's Blues" that is mentioned a couple times is my "local bar" when I travel to Melbourne (my company has a large office in Melbourne; pre-COVID, I was there once a month or so).   I had always meant to stop in at his music store - in "downtown" Melbourne - but never got around to doing it (it was hard to get there during business hours). 

Down side that has to be mentioned:   both Paul Chapman and Pete Way are/were involved in some form or fashion with Bon Scott's passing

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just started Mechanix because that seemed to be one that was really loved by some people.  First song in, "The Writer", I stopped what I was doing and was very impressed.  Opening song, catchy as heck.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
"Somethin Else" threw me for a loop the way it started off, lets see how this one goes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just started Mechanix because that seemed to be one that was really loved by some people.  First song in, "The Writer", I stopped what I was doing and was very impressed.  Opening song, catchy as heck.

"Somethin Else" threw me for a loop the way it started off, lets see how this one goes.

I love these live listening style comments.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Let me know what you think of Somethin Else, I really don't know what to make of that one lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I found this earlier; kind of sad to read.  Guy developed quite the life for himself and was apparently well-loved in his community.  The "Lou's Blues" that is mentioned a couple times is my "local bar" when I travel to Melbourne (my company has a large office in Melbourne; pre-COVID, I was there once a month or so).   I had always meant to stop in at his music store - in "downtown" Melbourne - but never got around to doing it (it was hard to get there during business hours). 

Down side that has to be mentioned:   both Paul Chapman and Pete Way are/were involved in some form or fashion with Bon Scott's passing.

I had actually tried to work this into the thread, but I think I ended up forgetting. Brent turned us on to this article a few years ago.

Yes, it seems Paul Chapman was with Bon early in the evening of the night he died.

Pete also talks about it in his book. He basically accuses Bon of taking heroin. The guy he was with was a heroin dealer, as Paul Chapman (and Pete Way) were on heroin during this time period.

This is the last known picture of Bon alive, taken 12 days before he died, backstage during UFO's 4 night run at Hammersmith.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Back into my Life is a great ballad.  Gotta say, UFO definitely knew how to make ballads and did them very well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Let me know what you think of Somethin Else, I really don't know what to make of that one lol

You know what I think?

I think...

it's...

somethin' else! :neverusethis:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Back into my Life is a great ballad.  Gotta say, UFO definitely knew how to make ballads and did them very well.

Back Into My Life is one of my favorite UFO tunes. Such great atmosphere, especially when it gets to the "night turns to day"..
You can literally feel the change.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm very much digging "You'll Get Love".  Another song that if given the right push and attention, could've easily been a semi big radio hit.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And "Doing it All For You" is excellent and has a stand out guitar solo so far from this album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm assuming "We Belong to the Night" and "Let it Rain" are the two singles from this album.  I've heard both lots.  Night is a kick ass tune and Rain is a another clear attempt at a mainstream type song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Terri, Feel It, and Dreaming are all very good songs.  I would say Dreaming is the standout song out of the three and a great album closer.  Very good album overall.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The live version of Terri, which I'll link when I post Mechanix, is so much heavier.

Dreaming might be a Top 10 UFO track for me. I love that song, and it's one of those songs that really spoke to me when I was 14 or 15.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The live version of Terri, which I'll link when I post Mechanix, is so much heavier.

Dreaming might be a Top 10 UFO track for me. I love that song, and it's one of those songs that really spoke to me when I was 14 or 15.

I would like to hear the live version of Terri......live versions win me over often when the studio version doesnt do much for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I would like to hear the live version of Terri......live versions win me over often when the studio version doesnt do much for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLh6v1owHVo

Offline Zoom E

I guess i need to come here every day if I want to keep up with this thread. :lol

Back to the MSG albums.

I never really cared for the production on MSG 2, but that doesn't stop it from being a killer album. I haven’t listened to it in a number of years, so I'll do that when I have the chance.

I didn’t buy Budokan until I got it on CD many years after it was released. The version I have has a couple of tracks that weren't on the original release. Off the top of the head I can't remember what they are, except for an overlong drum solo that I could do without.