Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 140797 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Place To Run
« Reply #525 on: September 18, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
This Mechanix has to be better than NPTR.

It is to Stadler! :lol

Kade, hopefully you post some thoughts over the weekend on the first MSG album.

Alright.  Sorry mate, I've meant to chime in more but had a rotten week at work so been a bit buys. 

As mentioned I purchased a 5cd set of MSG a few back based on your recommendations.  I liked them, but I don't think I was really ready as I was into much harder stuff as you know.  This is the perfect segway to get back into them and try them again.

I'm not the biggest fan of Gary Barden's voice.  He's an adequate vocalist, but for me, there' just nothing really special about his job.  He's your 'meat and potatoes' hard rock singer.  Gets the job done and fine to listen to, but there's no trimmings or fancy extras.  It doesn't stop me enjoying this here though;

Armed and Ready:  Love the simplicity of the riff and this song is a highlight.  Great opener.  Gary actually sounds nice and strong here.  The chorus builds some great tension and the resolve into the main riff again is cool.  The solo is boss.  Michael's note choices with the chord changes is just splendid.  Those couple of licks at 2:29 are brilliant.

Nations:  Pretty moody rocker this and I don't mind this as the second song.  Has a nice atmosphere.  The chorus didn't strike me on first listen, but after a couple more, I understand it more.  Shenker ripping over that march like beat is really strong.  This song reminds me a little of UDO or Accepts moodier stuff. 

Illusion:  Such a simple, generic riff here but it works surprisngly well.  Sounds like this riff has been used a thousand times, but who gives a shit?  Not too hot on Barden on this one but it's okay.  I like the swagger of the chorus here, nice groove that rolls along and you can just feel a really ripping solo coming on, and it doesn't disappoint.  The key changes work so damn well here.  One thing I've notice with Shenker is his accent on the right notes to the chords and when there's key changes, he excels and lifts depening on where the key is going.  That's evident here.  Love the bluesy contrast in his solo at the end.

Bijou:  Nice interlude with some fancy neo-classical stuff going on here.  I hear Jason Becker around the one minute mark for sure here.

Good Things: Pretty filler this one, but there's nothing wrong with it.  Can't say much about it however.  It's fine and Michaels' blues licks are nice.

Arena:  Wow!  So much Iron Maiden in that riff, hot damn lol!  This is a wonderful instrumental.  Again, the key changes work so well and Shenker rips it off.  Love the brooding heaviness of it.  I get a strong Megadeth vibe too from this track.  Shenker really does some interesting stuff and pushes himself I feel with his playing.  Killer drumming too.  That UFO style melodies from the 3:00 minute mark are most welcome.  Great track.  Wonderful guitar playing.

Nowhere:  Not bad, solid rocker.  The vocal melodies remind me of UFO actually.  A nice solo in this one actually.

Mystery:  Nothing wrong with this at all.  Nice breakup from the rock and perfectly placed before Horizons.  Such a beautiful solo too and love the tone over the acoustic stuff.  that lick at 2:22 is genius.  Reminds me of Dimebag this one.

Horizons:  A bit of an epic this one.  Such a dark chorus this one and the melody after the chorus is very metal.  Barden actually reminds me of Mats Levin on this track, don't mind him here.  I wish that solo in the middle went longer, so much tension and some of the bends Shenker pulls off are so good.  The ending however more than makes up for it.  Michael loves that Dorian mode with that C# in the chord progression.  So good and the interplay between he and Denny on the drums is just crazy.  What and ending, could go for another five minutes if you ask me.

I really like this one the more I listen.  I still think I like a couple more that follow more.  Seems MSG has a major jump on what UFO were doing at the time so far for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #526 on: September 18, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »
Cool stories Podaar.

I just gave No Place To Run another listen. The standout track for me is Mystery Train. This song and Anyday wouldn't be out of place on Obsession. Lettin Go somehow reminds me of Oh My from Phenomenon, and Gone in the Night has a No Heavy Petting Vibe.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #527 on: September 18, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
Hey Gregg, that's a fantastic story and exactly what I was hoping for. I'm sorry it was so traumatic for you.

But I totally appreciate the story.

Yes, I am a concert geek. But I'm a history geek too, so I'm always fascinated by the history of music, and specifically 70's tours in rock music. I like to see what tours came to Boston in say..1973. I can spend a whole night doing that.

And I'll have my own concert geek story coming later.

Anyday wouldn't be out of place on Obsession.

If only... Still it's a great track and one of my favorite UFO tunes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: September 18, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »
This has just been an interesting and excellent thread already.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #529 on: September 18, 2020, 06:26:44 PM »
This has just been an interesting and excellent thread already.

:metal :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5HErVE9oI

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #530 on: September 18, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
Listening to Misdemeanor tonight, and I can absolutely say I'll take it over at least two of the Chapman albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #531 on: September 18, 2020, 08:30:45 PM »
@ Wolfking..

Snapped backstage at Donnington 1980.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #532 on: September 19, 2020, 03:46:18 AM »
But does that say Ossie Osbournes Blizzard of Oz?

Pretty sure in the very beginning Blizzard Of Oz was to be the band name. I think it was decided to be released under Ozzy's name. The album was released a month after this show.

Unfortunately Ozzy and Blizzard pulled out of Reading just a few days before the gig; can't remember why. Slade were drafted in at virtually zero notice to several grumbles, but guess what... they slayed the crowd (see what I did there). 20000 grebs singing Merry Christmas Everybody acapella in summer was quite surreal for a band, whose stock was so low that Dave Hill had become a wedding chauffeur. Needless to say Slade's Reading EP relaunched their career.

Thanks for the photos TAC. I was further round to the right of the stage in the bottom photo. Before UFO came on stage, there were some parachutists dropping into the arena, rumoured to be the band but I doubt it.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: September 19, 2020, 04:30:29 AM »
@ Wolfking..

I wonder who is the one learning here, looks like Shenker really listening.  Brilliant photo that.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: September 19, 2020, 05:17:58 AM »
@ Wolfking..

I wonder who is the one learning here, looks like Shenker really listening.  Brilliant photo that.

Schenker is listening hard because he doesn't really understand English yet. I'm not sure what Elliott is doing, but he looks nervous.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: September 19, 2020, 05:29:39 AM »
So, the misses quite likes a lot of hard rock and melodic rock.  When we are out I usually have a random usb mix of different melodic rock and some other hard rock stuff.  I'm allowed to play my stuff as long as we compromise. Anyway, I added a few UFO songs for some different tunes as I try and rotate (Winger is always a staple however haha). 

Anyway, On With the Action came up and halfway through the chorus she bursts out in laughter and says, 'why the fuck is he singing it like that, what the fuck?'  :lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:03:53 PM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #536 on: September 19, 2020, 06:56:16 AM »
@ Wolfking..

Schenker is listening hard because he doesn't really understand English yet. I'm not sure what Elliott is doing, but he looks nervous.

Yeah right? He's probably just nodding his head. What is amazing about Michael Schenker is how young he was when he was in UFO. He's 25 in this picture.

So, the misses quite likes a lot of hard rock and melodic rock.  When we are out I usually have a random usb mix of different melodic rock and some school stuff or whatever. 

Just asking, but what exactly is school stuff?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: September 19, 2020, 02:05:04 PM »
That was the stupid auto correct on my phone.  I can't remember what I meant to write now, I think hard rock or something.  I dunno.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: September 19, 2020, 02:25:49 PM »
That was the stupid auto correct on my phone.  I can't remember what I meant to write now, I think hard rock or something.  I dunno.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography & Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The Wild....
« Reply #539 on: September 19, 2020, 08:54:35 PM »
The Wild The Willing And The Innocent

The Wild The Willing And The Innocent (1981)

Released January 6, 1981

1. Chains Chains
2. Long Gone
3. The Wild The Willing And The Innocent
4. It's Killing Me
5. Makin' Moves
6. Lonely Heart
7. Couldn't Get It Right
8. Profession Of Violence

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Paul Chapman-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Neil Carter-Keyboards/Sax

John Sloman (uncredited)-Keyboards

The No Place To Run tour would end in May 1980. Shortly after Paul Raymond was let go. Still some mystery as to if he was fired or he quit. Paul Raymond says he didn't see a future in with band and wanted to join Cozy Powell in Michael Schenker's band. Pete Way mentions that he was fired, by either Phil or their manager. Paul Raymond also says that the biggest misconception about him was that he was the quiet one. That is backed up by Pate Way as he says that Paul could be quite outspoken.

At any rate, the band would get right to work on their next album. It was put together that summer with Paul Chapman's ex Lone Star band mate John Sloman playing keyboards.

Neil Carter would join the band shortly before the Reading '80 show. The band would put the finishing touches on The Wild The Willing And The Innocent with Neil adding Sax on Lonely Hearts, and also some backing vocals. The band would tour Europe in the fall of 1980 featuring the new material. Shortly after the album was released UFO would tour the states in 1981.

Lonely Heart perforn=med on the BBC..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDikDqS0pEc

Paul Chapman's Lone Star work would show its head again, this time the track being Fool's Gold, which was reworked as Makin' Moves..
https://youtu.be/LQQC53M0EfI?t=2

Here is a great show from the Fall of 1980.
Here is the full Rockpalast show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-10GeqecPk&list=PLzD5eb0xSuIVr93z17RhSbc15iCZZCFGg&index=3&t=1s
Somewhere after Mystery Train it goes out of synch.

Here is an abridged version with better quality. I have it queued up at Rock Bottom.
https://youtu.be/G8M2J2rHp_g?t=1558

On a personal note, this is a Top 3 UFO album for me. I freaking love this album. This album has a consistency across the board. Great tunes.
Long Gone is an all time UFO track.
And Profession Of Violence is simply breathtaking, especially Paul's solo at the end. Chilling.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:27:07 PM by TAC »

Offline Zoom E

For me, Long Gone, the title track, It’s Killing Me, and Profession of Violence are the best songs on TWTWATI. I think I enjoyed this album back in the 80s more than I do now, but it’s still a nice listen.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #541 on: September 20, 2020, 02:11:38 AM »
On a personal note, this is a Top 3 UFO album for me. I freaking love this album. This album has a consistency across the board. Great tunes.
And Profession Of Violence is simply breathtaking, especially Paul's solo at the end. Chilling.

Absolutely

I got this on release, again on the strength of reviews, and hearing Lonely Heart on the radio.
Self produced, this album has a welcome harder edge than NPTR and is the best of the Chapman era IMO. This is underlined by him writing or co-writing six of the eight tracks, and laying a terrfic solo for Profession Of Violence (together with an impassioned Mogg here), amongst others. I'm not sure why Chapman was less involved with the writing on subsequent albums. Anyway any lingering doubts about his ability from NPTR were completely erased, and yet this feels like a true group effort.
The title track has great percussion (inaudible on the first CD issue, but corrected on the remaster), as does Couldn't Get It Right,and Pete Way is always himself on every song. There is not one dud here, but hightlights for me are Long Gone, title track, Making Moves and the afore mentioned POV. Over the 40 years since release I have often come back to this album, alongside LO, Obsession, SITN and another later album.
Hope others here enjoy this one as much as I continue to do.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, happy to move on.  Will get this one loaded up. 

I know Profession of Violence from those studio performances on the Showtime DVD.  Love what Vinnie does there so will be interesting to hear the original.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2020, 06:03:03 AM »

Absolutely

I got this on release, again on the strength of reviews, and hearing Lonely Heart on the radio.
Self produced, this album has a welcome harder edge than NPTR and is the best of the Chapman era IMO. This is underlined by him writing or co-writing six of the eight tracks, and laying a terrfic solo for Profession Of Violence (together with an impassioned Mogg here), amongst others. I'm not sure why Chapman was less involved with the writing on subsequent albums. Anyway any lingering doubts about his ability from NPTR were completely erased, and yet this feels like a true group effort.
The title track has great percussion (inaudible on the first CD issue, but corrected on the remaster), as does Couldn't Get It Right,and Pete Way is always himself on every song. There is not one dud here, but hightlights for me are Long Gone, title track, Making Moves and the afore mentioned POV. Over the 40 years since release I have often come back to this album, alongside LO, Obsession, SITN and another later album.
Hope others here enjoy this one as much as I continue to do.

This was definitely the peak of the Chapman Era. For me, everything about this album is perfect. As I said, Top 3 for me.

Chapman mentions that for Mechanix, he was going through a divorce and he had moved to Florida during this time, and he was distracted to write enough songs. For Making Contact, it seems that drug use was a big issue.
Neil Carter was brimming with ideas, and Phil just picked what he felt he could work with. But Phil was in awful shape as well, so his judgement certainly wasn't his best.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:11:28 AM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I know Profession of Violence from those studio performances on the Showtime DVD.  Love what Vinnie does there so will be interesting to hear the original.

Just watched that. I haven't pulled it out since I got Showtime when it came out.

Vinnie does an amazing job on the solo. Really builds off of the original, but the original is so much simpler and beautifully melodic.
This is one of those songs where it's really hard to hear without the original solo. At least for me, because I have it so imprinted on me. But I do love what Vinnie did with it. It's a great Vinnie moment.

And getting ahead a bit here, but while I don't love You Are Here, I thought adding Vinnie was great and I was really hopeful for what would come. I guess I was a bit too hopeful.

It's funny where they first show Pete, and he's just standing there bored out of his wits. I mean, they could've shown something like him strapping on his bass or something.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:54:20 AM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
$46 for physical and $55 for digital? Gee, wonder which one I'll take. Pre-ordered.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Because then it would only be 7 CDs. This is an 8 CD release. ;D

No idea, actually. It certainly fits on one CD.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I think I have an idea, if it is in fact 8 discs.

This is the explanation of the release:

The packaging is a 2-part rigid slipcase, 8 mini-LP style sleeves

Strangers was a double-LP upon release. I just looked at an original on Discogs and then compared to the tracklist on the link I had posted. Disc 1 is LP1 and Disc 2 is LP2. The tracks line up. They might be going for a mini double-LP gatefold thing to mimic the original. That's the best I can come up with.

But then it mentions 8 sleeves. I don't know. Guess we'll know in 2 months.

EDIT: .....or, we'll find out in the post right below this one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:40:38 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
nice looking set  :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
About The Wild...

Excellent album, with great songs all around and very interesting/different orchestrations, even some really cool saxophone. Long Gone , The Wild..., Lonely Heart and Profession of Violence are incredible, and the other songs are really great. For a few years, it was my favorite from Chapman era... but, listening more the four albums, nowadays, I think that the band just tried a bit too hard to create a more elaborated record, maybe yet with the intention to "prove” that UFO could still be great without Schenker. And in this process, the band still didn't managed to fully embrace the more relaxed and rocking side that Chapman added to UFO (which they did in a splendid way in the next album IMO).

Ranking:

OBSESSION (my favorite)/?- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
?/?- 9,0
PHENOMENON/? – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/?/? – 8,0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:02:23 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
TWTWATI is a really good album. An 80s pop sensibility comes thru, but it retains that 70s hard rock edge. If only NPTR had the same production, the two albums would be neck and neck in my rankings.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TWTWATI is a really good album. An 80s pop sensibility comes thru, but it retains that 70s hard rock edge. If only NPTR had the same production, the two albums would be neck and neck in my rankings.

I just think the weaker tunes on NPTR drag it down, but perhaps Money Money and Youngblood would've been served with a beefier production

For a few years, it was my favorite from Chapman era... but, listening more the four albums, nowadays, I think that the band just tried a bit too hard to create a more elaborate record, maybe yet with the intention to "prove” that UFO could still be great without Schenker. And in this process, the band still didn't managed to fully embrace the more relaxed and rocking side that Chapman added to UFO (which they did in a splendid way in the next album IMO).

Interesting. I don't find WWI an attempt to be "elaborate". It's a shame the band was grinding down because I would've loved to have seen the band build on this album. They just never et there again IMO.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I said it, but it is just my perception and probably farther from the truth. I bet UFO never thought too much about what kind of album they should do. Anyway, I really missed that that encarnation of the band didn't released more albums. I love WWI and even more Mechanix.
By the way, TAC, really cool your comments about how good Anyday is, it really gave me another appreciation of the song.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I said it, but it is just my perception and probably farther from the truth. I bet UFO never thought too much about what kind of album they should do. Anyway, I really missed that that encarnation of the band didn't released more albums. I love WWI and even more Mechanix.
By the way, TAC, really cool your comments about how good Anyday is, it really gave me another appreciation of the song.

I really liked Mechanix when I was younger. As a whole, I don't feel it's aged all that well. However, It might have 3 of my Top 5 Chapman Era tracks on it.

And Anyday is amazing. Phil is great on it. And that and Profession Of Violence are to me, Paul Chapman's best songs with the band. He f'n rips on it.

Offline Lowdz

TWATIT is a great album.

Lonely Heart was the first single I ever bought, along with I Surrender by Rainbow on the same day. LH has a place in my heart because of that.

I love every track here.

Saw them at the local university on this tour - I didn't have a ticket but me and a mate watched from outside, peeking between curtains, and the sound was clear enough. So, first band I "saw" live, but not the first one I paid for - that was Gary Moore.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This album is loads better than the last one.  Had 2 listens but it's one of those albums that needs quite a few to sink in.  I agree with Tim that it's really consistent from start to finish.  I can't comment on too much from memory but everything here was enjoyable.  There was some cool shit from Chapman too. 

Profession of Violence has to be one of their best tracks.  That's outstanding.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's great Kade. Make sure you find some time to revisit it. It really is one of their best albums.