Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143242 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
because I consider myself a Motley Crue fan

That is strange. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I forgot to post this last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfEQjvhnu4
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I forgot to post this last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfEQjvhnu4

"Nevison sent a coded message."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No Place To Run

No Place To Run (1980)

Released January 8, 1980

1. Alpha Centauri
2. Lettin' Go
3. Mystery Train
4. This Fire Burns Tonight
5. Gone In The Night
6. Young Blood
7. No Place To Run
8. Take It Or Leave It
9. Money Money
10. Anyday

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Paul Chapman-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/Guitar

Always chasing a hit, Chrysalis would hire Beatles producer George Martin. Personally, I feel the album is kind of a mixed bag. I think most of the songs are pretty good, but the production, while crisp, kind of neuters the band's energy a bit. These songs would really come across great live. I personally feel that going from Nevison to Martin was a huge step backwards.

Chapman, while not as technically beautiful as Schenker, is actually quite melodic in his own right. The albums last track, Anyday, contains one of Chapman's best solos of his tenure. Chapman also plays the bass intro to the track.

The first single was Youngblood. Not one of my favorites for sure. The band did appear on Top Of The Pops to promote it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKF-lHIgJII
What kind of setup is this? Where the drummer is out front and the singer in the back?  :lol

Paul Chapman would also bring This Fire Burns Tonight, basically written from his Lonestar days. Lone Star had a third album demoed that wouldn't see its release for many years later.

On this link, there are samples from Riding High, that third Lonestar album. Click on Travelling Man.
https://payplay.fm/r29bbd-lone-star-riding-high

There is also a song called Skytrain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YCQpLCASk
Apparently the impetus for No Place To Run (the song).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, I could not find a physical copy of Strangers for the life of me so I had to buy digital. Tonight, I stumble onto this upcoming release.

https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/ufo/strangers_in_the_night/#702023

All 6 shows, 96 tracks. Right now, Amazon US is only showing the digital version. I will try hard to grab a copy of this set.

Holy Shit. That is a MUST HAVE!

Offline pg1067

Right, he had credits on Coast To Coast. I think I mischaracterized that. I didn’t think he had them for Holiday.
I'll try to find them, but there are some fascinating stories about Michael and Rudolf regarding Coast To Coast.   I've even heard one story where Michael claims to have written Coast To Coast in it's entirety, and "gave" it, and his signature Flying V, to Rudolf, and being cheesed off that Rudolf rode it to platinum success (the next five Scorpions records all went platinum in the States) without giving credit - not just writing credit - where it was due.

EDIT:  This is close to what I'm referring.

Wow...starting from the headline quote, that article makes him sound like a total dick.  Also, who the hell confuses Michael and Rudolf?!  Also also, Rudolf has ALWAYS said (without referring to Michael) that he's far more interested in writing great songs than playing fancy solos
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Place To Run
« Reply #461 on: September 16, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »
It’s not a bad album, in fact, it starts incredibly strong with Alpha Centauri/Letting Go and Mystery Train. I also love No Place to Run and Take It or Leave It, which is an excellent ballad... but the album lacks a bit of energy and enthusiasm in the other songs. Maybe, as TAC said, it has a bit to do with the George Martin’s production, a bit too clean for UFO. Fortunately (but, in fact, unfortunately, because I think UFO needed a stronger album to keep its fan base after Schenker leaving AND releasing a much better album), to me, it’s the “worst” UFO album of the Chapman’s era.

Ranking:
OBSESSION (my favorite)/? - 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT - 9,5
?/?/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/? – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/?/? – 8,0
? – 7,5
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:36:43 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #462 on: September 16, 2020, 03:34:50 PM »
About Paul Chapman, I totally agree with TAC. He was no Schenker, but really good in studio with a lot of personality in his playing. Live I thought he was very interesting, not very precise, but with a cool vibe/attitude.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
That cover.  :lol :facepalm:

Scorpions are another one I know nothing about.  I have a couple of their late albums I think but never listened to any one their early stuff.

Oh, there's better, and there's worse (covers that is).   Much better (In Trance) and much worse (Virgin Killer).   I'm pretty sure four straight album covers of theirs - In Trance through Lovedrive - were censored/altered for the U.S. market at least. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Right, he had credits on Coast To Coast. I think I mischaracterized that. I didn’t think he had them for Holiday.
I'll try to find them, but there are some fascinating stories about Michael and Rudolf regarding Coast To Coast.   I've even heard one story where Michael claims to have written Coast To Coast in it's entirety, and "gave" it, and his signature Flying V, to Rudolf, and being cheesed off that Rudolf rode it to platinum success (the next five Scorpions records all went platinum in the States) without giving credit - not just writing credit - where it was due.

Wow...starting from the headline quote, that article makes him sound like a total dick.  Also, who the hell confuses Michael and Rudolf?!  Also also, Rudolf has ALWAYS said (without referring to Michael) that he's far more interested in writing great songs than playing fancy solos

There's contentiousness between them. Michael is a strange cat. He thinks he's responsible for breaking the Scorps into the US. The many interviews on youtube where he addresses these things are hilarious.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's what you say when you are a shit lead player. :biggrin:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: September 16, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
Not sure when I will be able to dive into this album.  Will try tomorrow, just have to get my hands on it.  Interested in hearing the new guitar player.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #467 on: September 16, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »
Not sure when I will be able to dive into this album.  Will try tomorrow, just have to get my hands on it.  Interested in hearing the new guitar player.

Kade, I posted the Spotify link, but here's the Youtube link if that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rq2iJZXHz8&list=OLAK5uy_lnPBG3x6sHeKoz-lvIugo52DRr1mZFRc0
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:34:32 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: September 16, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »
Listening now, absolutely nothing wrong with this album at all. I’ve found something to like with every UFO song I’ve heard so far and the songs on this album are no different. I have Lettin Go and Young Blood on a best of that I have so I am very familiar with both. Lettin Go is a great song and so is Young Blood, but it comes across a bit of a mainstream attempt. I really dig the opening instrumental; short but has a cool vibe to it. Overall, definitely not the album with the most energy but still good stuff!

Stand out tracks to me are the title track and This Fire Burns Tonight!

And that’s great timing for the super duper deluxe bonus Strangers album coming out

Offline Zoom E

There's contentiousness between them. Michael is a strange cat. He thinks he's responsible for breaking the Scorps into the US. The many interviews on youtube where he addresses these things are hilarious.

It was a bit much when Michael was ripping into Rudolph from the stage on the Schenker Fest tour. He just sounded bitter.

I only heard No Place To Run about 15 years ago, and now have it in the CD box set. I haven’t listened to it that much, to be honest, so I can’t give it a fair assessment off the top of my head. Just kind of average, I guess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: September 16, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »
Yeah Zoom, like I said, Michael is a weird dude. Stubborn as hell.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #471 on: September 16, 2020, 06:03:08 PM »
So my takes on No Place To Run...

I remember hearing Motley Crue's Ten Seconds To Love and immediately thinking of Lettin' Go. The riff in the chorus of Ten Seconds reminds me a lot of the riff in the verse of Lettin' Go.  Same with Mystery Train. That song kicks ass live. There's live versions to lettin' Go, Mystery Train, and No Place on the 2009 Remaster that I linked.

Gone In The Night is amazing. Paul Chapman's smoky guitar is exquisite. Love Paul Raymond on this. He is such a tasteful player.

I never really liked Youngblood all that much, but it's grown on me over the years. I think Money Money is weak though.

But to me, the money track is Anyday. Phil is awesome on it, and Chapman's solo at the end on this is freaking amazing. It really needed to be extended. Kind of how Stadler feels about Ozzy's Tonight is exactly how I feel about Anyday.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:26:15 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: September 16, 2020, 07:30:08 PM »
Here's a great show from the No Place tour:

https://open.spotify.com/album/07EiBSY6Q0zVqZIKFFFlkV?si=gswdOQLpQMai1nNQ7m6h8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VNRuzafMpU&t=3s

There's just a live energy on tracks like Only You Can Rock Me and Too Hot To Handle with Chapman on guitar.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #473 on: September 16, 2020, 07:59:01 PM »
I listed to No Place To Run last night and , like I said earlier, Gone In The Night was the standout track for me. I found absolutely nothing to dislike about this album. A nice, rocking record.

I also kind of listened ahead and I have to say that these 2 albums really stood out to me. More so than any so far. Not sure it means anything yet as I need to spend more time with them all, but No Place and the next one really hit home.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #474 on: September 16, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »
The next one is a masterpiece IMO.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: September 17, 2020, 06:10:26 AM »
Still repeating SITN in the car.  Fucking amazing, raw, organic, wonderful live album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2020, 06:16:11 AM »
Hah, I could let Strangers marinate for a whole month but I want to get this thing done by Christmas.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: September 17, 2020, 06:17:23 AM »
I listened to No Place to Run the other day. It's probably the, maybe, 8th time I've listened to it in my life. The other 7 times were around the time I bought it when it came out. There's nothing wrong with it (except Youngblood) but, yeah, I'll probably never listed to it again.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2020, 06:18:29 AM »
Hah, I could let Strangers marinate for a whole month but I want to get this thing done by Christmas.  :lol

You could end the entire thread at Strangers and have it be a success. For several decades, that's where it ended for me.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: September 17, 2020, 06:39:10 AM »

You could end the entire thread at Strangers and have it be a success. For several decades, that's where it ended for me.  :lol

Lol, ouch.

Alright, I'll move on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: September 17, 2020, 07:15:55 AM »

You'd miss their "best" record, then ("best" being "my favorite").   For me, song-wise, "Mechanix" is where it's at.   The BONUS track - is a top five UFO song for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: September 17, 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
Still repeating SITN in the car.  Fucking amazing, raw, organic, wonderful live album.

I’m getting the vibe you’ve already preordered that 8 CD deluxe edition 😆

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #482 on: September 17, 2020, 08:13:43 AM »

I’m waiting until it appears on Amazon but I’m definitely getting it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: September 17, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »

I would actually be more shocked if you didn’t buy it than I would be if they decided to hold the olympics on Mars.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #484 on: September 17, 2020, 08:42:02 AM »
The songs on NPTR are solid enough, but the production doesn’t do them any justice. It just falls flat, especially when juxtaposed with Obsession or LO. No oomph.  I understand George Martin was forced on them by Chrysalis, which is a pity.

BTW I relistened to I’m a Loser and just noticed that the opening has a distinct Zep Ramble On vibe.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #485 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:45 AM »

I would actually be more shocked if you didn’t buy it than I would be if they decided to hold the olympics on Mars.

Well after all, it is the place where wheat is still wheat, and the waters in the rivers is still water.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #486 on: September 17, 2020, 09:33:52 AM »
The songs on NPTR are solid enough, but the production doesn’t do them any justice. It just falls flat, especially when juxtaposed with Obsession or LO. No oomph.  I understand George Martin was forced on them by Chrysalis, which is a pity.

Oh for sure. The difference in the drum sound is ridiculous. I was thinking the same exact thing this morning.

BTW I relistened to I’m a Loser and just noticed that the opening has a distinct Zep Ramble On vibe.

I can hear what you’re saying.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #487 on: September 17, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »
It’s what happens when a non hard rock producer produces a hard rock band. See also Queensryche with The Warning.

I played NPTR a few days ago and it’s a great listen. It was one of the first albums I had by them. I always loved Mystery Train. Didn’t know it was an Elvis song at the time. chapman shreds on it.

I don’t think there’s a bad song on it but there’s a lack of life to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: September 17, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
I’d be curious if you guys checked out the live versions of the NPTR songs.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #489 on: September 17, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »

You'd miss their "best" record, then ("best" being "my favorite").   For me, song-wise, "Mechanix" is where it's at.   The BONUS track - is a top five UFO song for me.

Played Me Janice yesterday . Most of it is awesome.