Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143302 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck the version of Rock Me here is amazing.  I love this song.  Schenkers lead melody he plays along in the chorus is excellent.

I'm probably repeating myself, but I think more song writers should use this technique. I fucking love it.

So simple, but it's brilliant.  How he doesn't fully follow Phil's phrasing and slightly has his own phrasing is wonderful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck the version of Rock Me here is amazing.  I love this song.  Schenkers lead melody he plays along in the chorus is excellent.

I'm probably repeating myself, but I think more song writers should use this technique. I fucking love it.

So simple, but it's brilliant.  How he doesn't fully follow Phil's phrasing and slightly has his own phrasing is wonderful.

Exactly! That's what I meant earlier in this thread, when talking about Obsession, when I called it harmonizing and extending the vocal melody. That's not a particularly accurate description since I'm just a music fan and not a music scholar, but it's nice to talk with someone who knows what I mean.

I love that...JP's done it a few times with JLB, but not enough for my liking. I guess if it wasn't rarely used, I'd get sick of it though.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Exactly! That's what I meant earlier in this thread, when talking about Obsession, when I called it harmonizing and extending the vocal melody. That's not a particularly accurate description since I'm just a music fan and not a music scholar, but it's nice to talk with someone who knows what I mean.

I love that...JP's done it a few times with JLB, but not enough for my liking. I guess if it wasn't rarely used, I'd get sick of it though.

It's tight but in a laid back way without being that tight.  Very natural and organic.

I was also surprised how slow Rock Bottom was too, but I warmed to it.  Love Shenker in the middle.  The first quiet half is wicked.

Offline robbob

Ahhh, SiTN, my favorite Live album and possibly album ever. Like TAC and others have mentioned, the Mix and overall sound of the album is great. Michael just smokes on it, so many great solos, hard to mention a few. Whole band sounds good.

Don't know why they needed to record Mother Mary and This Kids in the studio, they both sound great. But, always found it odd the Only you Can Rock Me was only song from Obsession before the reissue, thought it would make sense to use Hot n Ready, Cherry , Pack it up and go.

After listening to other concerts from same tour, you can tell some of SiTN was recorded from other shows besides Chicago and Louisville.
The second half of Rock Bottom starting with the Guitar/Key unison from Cleveland was definitely used. Michael messes up right before the unison, rarely heard him do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLOdJO45cLk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was also surprised how slow Rock Bottom was too, but I warmed to it.  Love Schenker in the middle.  The first quiet half is wicked.

Yeah, it's pretty incredible. That solo is really such a great band moment. The interplay between Schenker and Raymond is really cool. Obviously Pete is holding it down, but Andy Parker basically conducts the entire thing from the drum kit. He drives it, pulls it back, etc.. Total control. Listening to the Chicago boot, he's the one that stood out to me. So strong.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Update

As noted before, the band took a one month break before the final dozen or so shows to end the Obsession tour. It was during this time that the band were working on Strangers, and Michael Schenker would quit the band. He was just 23 years old. 23. Think about that for a minute...

And with that, The Classic Schenker Era is over. I've said this before, but Michael Schenker is my all time favorite guitarist (followed by Gary Moore...). There are many that feel No Schenker No UFO. But there are also many that actually prefer the Chapman Era. People my age (52 next week) and a couple years older basically came of musical age with in the Chapman Era. Many of those songs would provide many special memories.

Paul Chapman would finish the Obsession tour, and as Strangers was released in January of 1979, the band was right back out on the road to promote it. The setlists were pretty similar, though they would be opening shows with Electric Phase.

Here is a boot called Parker's Birthday-Live In Texas.
It's not on Youtube in whole so I am posting another soundcloud link.
It was recorded on March 21, 1979 in Midland, Texas.
https://soundcloud.com/user-842225265-104214575/sets/live-in-texas

In looking ahead to the Chapman Era, I would like to offer a bit of a preview..

UFO would release four albums with Paul Chapman. During this time, the band would really begin grinding down. They would continue the tour-album-tour cycle that they had been on for the next 4 years. It's really a pace that given their habits, just could not continue.

Studio wise, Paul Chapman is really good. He's very melodic, and I absolutely love his playing. I think everyone will find him enjoyable. But he is no Michael Schenker, but that's OK.

Live though, this is where we'll really hear the difference. With Schenker, the band was really tight. In the Chapman Era, the live performances were a lot looser. Live, Chapman will probably come across as sloppy, especially in his solos. But in a way, I really love the Chapman live stuff. It is total bad ass kick ass rock. To me, I prefer Too Hot, Doctor Doctor, and Shoot Shoot with Chapman. There's just such a harder and dirtier edge that under Schenker these songs lacked. Even Only You Can Rock Me. Obviously he can't do what Schenker does in the solo section, but that song was in need of some attitude.

I think some of you may be underwhelmed by No Place To Run, but that leads up to the masterpiece of The Wild The Willing And The Innocent. But after that, you can feel the band slipping (sorry Stadler). Still there's some cool albums and an amazing batch of songs coming.

I will launch No Place To Run tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:39:01 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Well, that solo in Lettin' Go sure is something.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
TAC, out of curiosity, will you comment about The Michael Schenker Group albums simultaneously? Maybe it would be interesting because it seems to me that maybe UFO lost some popularity at the time because of the comparasion with the albums Schenker was releasing (personally I think the first MSG much better than No Place). Like the Bruce solo's albums played a part in the relative Maiden decadence at the time IMO. Just a thought...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TAC, out of curiosity, will you comment about The Michael Schenker Group albums simultaneously? Maybe it would be interesting because it seems to me that maybe UFO lost some popularity at the time because of the comparasion with the albums Schenker was releasing (personally I think the first MSG much better than No Place). Like the Bruce solo's albums played a part in the relative Maiden decadence at the time IMO. Just a thought...

Yes, this will kind of become a double Discography Thread. Already planned out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
In 1979, while on tour, Pete Way actually appeared on the Hollywood Squares.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X7BKorZk9g

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to the next era.  Will locate the albums to get into the car.  Loving Strangers though, this is a wicked live album. 

The version of Love to Love I think I like better than the studio version.  Brilliant performance.  That melody of Shenker in the middle of that song is incredible.  His playing on it here is so emotional.  A simple melody but he puts so much emotion into those notes.  Almost like he's crying through his guitar.  Natural Thing opens up a lot on this too, again a lot better in this live setting.  I hear hte Pearl Jam influence so much more here too.  Love how they seugue it into Out In the Street.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Update Pt.2

After Michael Schenker left UFO, he would return to Scorpions after Uli Roth left the band. He would help write and record Lovedrive, their most successful album to date and the one that really opened the US up for them.

Apparently, Matthias Jabs had just joined the band, but they put him on ice as Michael had just left UFO. After a short tour, Michael was not happy playing "another guy's solos". Michael left the Scorps and formed his own band. Apparently there's a flight to Boston in there somewhere to meet Aerosmith, but he was a little freaked out at how fucked up Steven Tyler was.

We definitely know that Michael played on Lovedrive, Coast To Coast, and Another Piece Of Meat. He claims to have written and performed far more than he was given credit for. I mean, just listen to Holiday. Total Michael Schenker.
He is also playing part of the solo to Loving You Sunday Morning.

Lovedrive becomes a wedge between the Schenker brothers as many years later, while putting together an anniversary package, Michael is asked to contribute, but finds out he is not credited properly on Lovedrive. Apparently he expected to have his photo on the album jacket as a sixth member of the band. Not sure why he didn't know it didn't happen originally.

Original cover:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7aIgGWlHdcPXOfONtXVliK?si=CIbPts-QREy1xAUO9lLZ5Q

Michael would go on to play a handful of dates. One of the rare bootlegs is posted here. It's queued up to We'll Burn The Sky, and features a stunning solo from Michael.

https://youtu.be/OcecDuE4_XI?t=526

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looking forward to the next era.  Will locate the albums to get into the car.  Loving Strangers though, this is a wicked live album. 

The version of Love to Love I think I like better than the studio version.  Brilliant performance.  That melody of Shenker in the middle of that song is incredible.  His playing on it here is so emotional.  A simple melody but he puts so much emotion into those notes.  Almost like he's crying through his guitar.  Natural Thing opens up a lot on this too, again a lot better in this live setting.  I hear hte Pearl Jam influence so much more here too.  Love how they seugue it into Out In the Street.

There's a phenomenal live version of Love To Love performed by a fleeting lineup of the band. A few weeks away....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

There's a phenomenal live version of Love To Love performed by a fleeting lineup of the band. A few weeks away....

Look forward to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That cover.  :lol :facepalm:

Scorpions are another one I know nothing about.  I have a couple of their late albums I think but never listened to any one their early stuff.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
My favorite era from Scorpions is with Uli Jon Roth and Fly to the Rainbow is still my favorite album of them (Jurgen Rosenthal also destroying on drums on this one!). I think their sound was more unique at that time. But, with that said, I like a lot the modern era Scorpions and it’s iteresting to notice that began with Lovedrive and their sound didn’t change too much since then. This album is really cool and the songs with Schenker... I mean, Michael this time :biggrin:, are (not surprisingly) the best here. Another Piece of Meat  :metal :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:50:01 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Well, that solo in Lettin' Go sure is something.

I know I am a tad bit ahead, but I really liked Gone In The Night. Great vibe in that song. Some interesting mixing of the guitar as well.

EDIT: Actually, I'm really enjoying this album so far. It's strong.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Well, I could not find a physical copy of Strangers for the life of me so I had to buy digital. Tonight, I stumble onto this upcoming release.

https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/ufo/strangers_in_the_night/#702023

All 6 shows, 96 tracks. Right now, Amazon US is only showing the digital version. I will try hard to grab a copy of this set.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I could not find a physical copy of Strangers for the life of me so I had to buy digital. Tonight, I stumble onto this upcoming release.

https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/ufo/strangers_in_the_night/#702023

All 6 shows, 96 tracks. Right now, Amazon US is only showing the digital version. I will try hard to grab a copy of this set.

Why the hell would they split the album over 2cd's?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I saw that, unless it is a typo or something. The expanded clocks in at 77 minutes and that is the original they are showing.

Still not a lot out there about it. All the Amazon sites seem to only show the digital right now. Release is supposedly only a month or so out so this should be interesting.

Offline Zoom E

Strangers in the Night is also my favourite live album. Just amazing. Back in the day when I was trying to introduce friends to UFO, SITN is the album I would lend to them.

I wasn't happy with the two added tracks at the beginning of the CD reissue. It threw off the whole listening experience for me.

Scorpions are also an all-time favourite band for me. Much praise for Lovedrive. Too bad the Schenker brothers still seem to have a rift between them. They used to be so close.

Offline PowerSlave

Scorpions are another one I know nothing about.  I have a couple of their late albums I think but never listened to any one their early stuff.

Uli Roth may very well fascinate you as a guitarist. The only down side to his era is that he sang lead on some of the songs instead of letting Klaus take them. Uli's singing voice isn't something that I've ever heard anyone say something positive about. However, his guitar playing is absolutely stellar!

The best way I could describe his playing is Hendrix plays neo-classical. I also hear some similarities between his playing and Michael's playing. I'm sure that they had quite a bit of influence on each other.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lowdz

I’ve seen Uli live a few times in recent years and he’s incredible. Try Sky Overture to see what he’s all about. Luckily he didn’t sing much when I saw him 😀

His voice put me off his initial solo albums and I never really bothered with his Corpions stuff until he was on a Scorp’s Live dvd in the early 2000s. Great player and you can see where Yngwie got plenty of his sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Uli Roth may very well fascinate you as a guitarist. The only down side to his era is that he sang lead on some of the songs instead of letting Klaus take them. Uli's singing voice isn't something that I've ever heard anyone say something positive about. However, his guitar playing is absolutely stellar!

The best way I could describe his playing is Hendrix plays neo-classical. I also hear some similarities between his playing and Michael's playing. I'm sure that they had quite a bit of influence on each other.

I'll try and get around to some Scorpions albums too mate.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Now you're in my wheelhouse, at least in terms of "real time".  I got into Scorpions and MSG early on.  I didn't see MSG until just recently (the Schenker-Fest), but Scorpions were one of my first concerts (I saw the Love At First Sting show with Bon Jovi as an opening act!).

I'm a huge Klaus Meine fan, and love the early guitar-work (Roth and Schenker).  I'm not the hugest Matthias Jabs fan, frankly.   Scorpions were a band that I lost touch with though, over the years.  I thought there was an inauthenticity, a silliness, about them (same with Judas Priest) that Maiden (for example) didn't have.  I always got the whiff that it was a business first, it was calculated.   This might all be in my head, but I always felt that that was why Michael didn't stay.  (People rag on Sharon all the time; I think Scorpions and Priest were just as bad in that regard.)

I'm also a huge fan of MSG, and LOVE the Barden albums.   I listened to MSG (the second solo album) as much as any album I own. 

Offline Lowdz

We'll get to MSG but I have never really liked Gary Barden's voice. Heliked the early MSG albums in spite of him, rather than because of.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Gary Barden and Chris Glen.  ;D

I have opinions on Barden too. But yes, we’ll get there for sure.

Offline pg1067

In 1979, while on tour, Pete Way actually appeared on the Hollywood Squares.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X7BKorZk9g

Awesome!  Circle gets the square!

After Michael Schenker left UFO, he would return to Scorpions after Uli Roth left the band. He would help write and record Lovedrive, their most successful album to date and the one that really opened the US up for them.

Apparently, Matthias Jabs had just joined the band, but they put him on ice as Michael had just left UFO. After a short tour, Michael was not happy playing "another guy's solos". Michael left the Scorps and formed his own band. Apparently there's a flight to Boston in there somewhere to meet Aerosmith, but he was a little freaked out at how fucked up Steven Tyler was.

We definitely know that Michael played on Lovedrive, Coast To Coast, and Another Piece Of Meat. He claims to have written and performed far more than he was given credit for. I mean, just listen to Holiday. Total Michael Schenker.
He is also playing part of the solo to Loving You Sunday Morning.

. . .

Michael would go on to play a handful of dates. One of the rare bootlegs is posted here. It's queued up to We'll Burn The Sky, and features a stunning solo from Michael.

He got writing credits on Coast to Coast and Holiday.  Did they actually say in the credits which songs he played on?  Anyway, Scorps apparently played a handful of UFO songs in their set while Michael was playing with them (Lipstick Traces is at 42:15 and Doctor Doctor is at the 50:50 mark of the video you linked).  Hearing Klaus sing those songs is just odd.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Right, he had credits on Coast To Coast. I think I mischaracterized that. I didn’t think he had them for Holiday.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
My old lp for Lovedrive has no writing credits for him. Only a thanks for solos on a couple of songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Right, he had credits on Coast To Coast. I think I mischaracterized that. I didn’t think he had them for Holiday.
I'll try to find them, but there are some fascinating stories about Michael and Rudolf regarding Coast To Coast.   I've even heard one story where Michael claims to have written Coast To Coast in it's entirety, and "gave" it, and his signature Flying V, to Rudolf, and being cheesed off that Rudolf rode it to platinum success (the next five Scorpions records all went platinum in the States) without giving credit - not just writing credit - where it was due.

EDIT:  This is close to what I'm referring.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My old lp for Lovedrive has no writing credits for him. Only a thanks for solos on a couple of songs.

I had the cassette. I was pretty sure he was credited with Coast To Coast. That is clearly a Michael track.

At any rate, Michael obviously wasn't happy the way things ultimately went down.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Now you're in my wheelhouse, at least in terms of "real time".  I got into Scorpions and MSG early on.  I didn't see MSG until just recently (the Schenker-Fest), but Scorpions were one of my first concerts (I saw the Love At First Sting show with Bon Jovi as an opening act!).

I listened to MSG (the second solo album) as much as any album I own.

Saw that Scorps tour as well.

And that album is my most listened to album ever.

Offline Lowdz

I’ve seen Scorpions a couple of times and they were great live. I like a Few albums but never really considered myself a fan. Strange, because I consider myself a Motley Crue fan and I only actually like two albums and a few songs.