Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143294 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Obsession
« Reply #385 on: September 13, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
Gregg, yeah, the back and forth between Shenker and Mogg in Rodeo is outstanding.  Such a brilliant track.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: September 13, 2020, 02:06:10 PM »

Hill:  I don't understand this one and why it's here.

You'll be hearing the acoustic guitar part again later in the discography. The "reboot" is much better than the original.

Yup! And you don’t even have to be a musician to hear it.  ;D

Okay, I'll wait to hear the full thing.  I'm sure people at the time though though WTF at this though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #387 on: September 13, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »
Not to go off topic, but inbetween the UFO albums I've been listening to my MSG 5 CD collection.  Built to Destroy......lol...WTF?  :lol

I know, right?  How did he bounce back with an album THAT GOOD?   :) :) :)

(Just busting; I think you mean something else, but I love Built To Destroy; one of my favorites.)

I'll give it another go when we get to it lol.  Interesting album.

Yeah, a couple weeks away.

Kade, don't you just love the interplay of vocal and lead guitar during the chorus of One More for the Rodeo? It's like Shenker is accompanying the vocal and then extending it. When I was listening the other day (for the 1000 time in my life) I thought that would grab you.
Gregg, yeah, the back and forth between Shenker and Mogg in Rodeo is outstanding.  Such a brilliant track.

One More For The Rodeo might be a Top 10 UFO track for me. I have always loved it and it is total badass.  What you guys are talking about is amazing. Especially in the second verse. Amazing.
Michael says that Obsession was a fun album to make. After listening to One More For The Rodeo, you can understand why.
Also, apparently it is also a Paul Raymond song, even though he is uncredited.

During this time, and on the Obsession tour, there was a lot of appeasement going on for Michael. They talk about letting him fly back and forth to LA on off days. At this time, Michael was learning the flute. This can't be any more than placating him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #388 on: September 13, 2020, 05:48:43 PM »
Strangers In The Night

Released January 2nd, 1979
Reissued 1999

Original LP

Side 1

Natural Thing
Out in the Street
Only You Can Rock Me
Doctor Doctor

Side 2

Mother Mary
This Kid's
Love to Love

Side 3

Lights Out
Rock Bottom

Side 4

Too Hot to Handle
I'm a Loser
Let It Roll
Shoot Shoot

Reissue Tracklist

1. Hot n' Ready
2. Cherry
3. Let It Roll
4. Love To Love
5. Natural Thing
6. Out In The Street
7 Only You Can Rock Me
8. Mother Mary
9. This Kids
10. Doctor Doctor
11. I'm A Loser
12. Lights Out
13. Rock Bottom
14. Too Hot To Handle
15. Shoot Shoot

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Michael Schenker-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/ Guitar

OK, here we go..Strangers In The Night!

Simply an amazing live album with great production by Ron Nevison. The album was also mixed by Mike Clink, who would produce Appetite For Destruction and co produce Peace Sells, among many others. A number of shows were recorded, with the album drawing from Chicago and Louisville.

Because of the length of Love To Love and Rock Bottom, it was determined that it would have to be a double album. That also meant that the natural running order of the setlist would have to be abandoned in order to get each album side a relatively equal length. However this also meant that they were a couple songs short. So Mother Mary and This Kids were recorded live at The Record Plant, and were placed on the album with dubbed in crowd noise.
Nevison did an amazing job with this because both tracks really sound as if they were part of the same concerts. They are very close in sound, especially listening to the drums. I mean, for comparison, look at the suck job Tony Visconti did on Live And Dangerous with Southbound.

The band was really well oiled live by this point. Even Andy Parker was using double bass, like in Let It Roll, where on Force It he did not. That kind of performance really helped grow their sound.

I mentioned the mixing. It is really tremendous, as you can clearly hear every instrument. I love that you can hear Paul Raymond. But this album belongs to Michael Schenker. He is ridiculous on this album. The solos in Lights Out, Love To Love, I'm A Loser...holy shit!
And the instrumental section of Rock Bottom is easily the best 5 minutes of music I have ever heard. I never get sick of it.

The album was reissued in 1999. It stays faithful to the regular setlist with Hot N Ready and Cherry added. I have always wondered, if they needed two extra tracks (and those are Nevison's words), why not just use HnR or Cherry? Also, the 2008 Obsession remaster has live versions of Pack It Up (And Go) and Ain't No Baby. Why not use one of those? They must've decided that Mother Mary and This Kids were stronger.

As I mentioned before, the band had a one month break in the tour for the month of November . It was during this time that the mixing and "fixing" for Strangers was being done. It was during this break that Michael Schenker would walk out on the band. The stories range from he not being happy with the live album, to Phil Mogg punching him. The tour would resume on November 30, and Paul Chapman would again rejoin the band. This time, for good.

Chapman is credited in the notes on Strangers.."Thank you to our friend and guitarist Paul Chapman." Some wondered of Chapman was part of the recordings. Alas, he is not. Chrysalis would send the band out to support the album in 1979.

Anyway, there's lots to say about this album. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.

This is the same album I traded a Zed Zeppelin pin in 1982 for..

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:16:13 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #389 on: September 13, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »

During this time, and on the Obsession tour, there was a lot of appeasement going on for Michael. They talk about letting him fly back and forth to LA on off days. At this time, Michael was learning the flute. This can't be any more than placating him.

I had no idea that was MS on a flute. I had always assumed that it was a small furry animal being tortured to death. Ya know, something adorable so it would add an extra element of discomfort to the experience. :-\
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely heard this one before  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:20 PM »

I had no idea that was MS on a flute. I had always assumed that it was a small furry animal being tortured to death. Ya know, something adorable so it would add an extra element of discomfort to the experience. :-\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
Damn, I got 7 pages to catch up with. Work was an absolute bear coming back from vacation.

I have listened up to Obsession, though mostly while multitasking in some manner. Lots of great music, but it’s hard to put my finger on specific tracks as to which were most memorable (because it wasn’t a dedicated listen. Will try to do more of that this week - and catch up on the last 7 pages!!

Well, you haven't said anything, but it's still two more posts than Brent. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Put this one in the car this morning already.  I have the reissue with the bonus 2 tracks at the start.  What's the deal with the tracks being at the start?

The version of LTL is wonderful and Michaels solo at the end is ridiculous.  Love the mixing and the sound overall too.  Michaels tone is incredible.

Phil sounds baked as fucked when he is talking too.  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Put this one in the car this morning already.  I have the reissue with the bonus 2 tracks at the start.  What's the deal with the tracks being at the start?

The version of LTL is wonderful and Michaels solo at the end is ridiculous.  Love the mixing and the sound overall too.  Michaels tone is incredible.

Phil sounds baked as fucked when he is talking too.  :lol

To try to better recreate the setlist from the time. If you look at setlist.fm for the shows that they recorded, those 2 tracks are always in the first 3. Track 2 was Pack It Up (And Go) which they threw on as a bonus track on one of the other reissues.

As I have all of the reissues, I can say that the live tracks are all of great quality. Not bootleg sounding or anything at all. High quality recordings.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That makes total sense and answers my question thanks Prof.  Although it's weird that songs placed in the first three of the setlist each night wouldn't be included on the original release.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I would like they had released originally the double LP with Hot n Ready, Pack it Up and Ain’t No Baby (but no Cherry. Much less in the begginning). It would have more fair with Obsession IMO.
Anyway, it’s a worderfull live album as it is. I would just comment that the double bass drumming on Let it Roll, with phrasing not played continuously, was really something different at the time.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, Let it Roll sounds massive here.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You are right about Phil sounding totally baked when talking lol

UFO is a kick ass live band!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Well, I hate to recycle a word that’s already been used in this thread (Stads) but I can’t think of another to describe SITN: incendiary. It’s not a slow burn, like you get with live Deep Purple (which I love), instead it’s a spontaneous combustion.

UFO may not have been the most visionary or calculating band. There wasn’t much in the way of choreography. As Stads suggested, they seemed to just ‘wing it’ when it came to live performances (and everything else for that matter, including album covers), but that is also the quality that made them so good. A double-edged sword, if you will.

I can see why one wouldn’t return to the studio versions of these songs after hearing them here. As Tim says, you can hear every instrument, and that’s huge for me. The album just rocks.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Schenker on This Kid's is glorious.

It's a shame Rodeo and Action aren't on here.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Again with the insulting comments about album covers!

You kids do realize that a) Chrysalis (the company) hired Hipgnosis to do the album covers, not the band. b) Hipgnosis was a very popular and highly respected art company. And most importantly, c) Your lack of taste doesn't make their album covers bad!

It was the 1970's, the middle of the drug culture, and all things weird. UFO album covers were cool, funny, and odd. They fit the edgy Brit working class persona of the band. Besides, at the very worst, album covers should be ignored. They are nothing to criticize a band over. Save it for the music.

:getoffmylawn:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
The cover of SiTN is still amazing, even to nowadays standarts!
Just an observation, the original songs order of the original double LP flows much better than the actual live show from the tour. Good job, Ron Nevison!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I'm going to relisten today; this is a very good album, and agreed on Michael being on fire.   I didn't get blown away by hearing it, though, like Eddie Trunk (it's definitely his favorite live album of all time, and it may be his favorite album period; he's always pimping this record). 

I do know that listening to Side 2 has such a wonderful, 70's live album feel (not dissimilar to Side 4 of Kiss Alive!).  It bummed me out for about 6 minutes when I found out that the first two songs were "concoctions", but i got over it.  When I cook, I will sometimes put that segment on - Mother Mary, This Kid's, Love To Love - and it's just amazing.

By the way, TAC, we have a "breezeway" that is actually a sort of second living room, and it's the exact same wall color.  Nice taste!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never liked the addition of Hot N' Ready and Cherry to this album. I don't think the performances are up to par with the original album, so I don't include them when I listen to the album. In fact, I've reordered them on my NAS back to the original order.

Otherwise, this is my favorite live album ever. So much so, I consider these performances as the definitive versions of these songs (much like many other fans).

This recording of Schenker's live tone is nothing short of a miracle.  :lol  Like Tim mentions, the clarity of all of the band is awesome as well. The most balanced mix ever.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

I've never liked the addition of Hot N' Ready and Cherry to this album. I don't think the performances are up to par with the original album, so I don't include them when I listen to the album. In fact, I've reordered them on my NAS back to the original order.

Otherwise, this is my favorite live album ever. So much so, I consider these performances as the definitive versions of these songs (much like many other fans).

This recording of Schenker's live tone is nothing short of a miracle.  :lol  Like Tim mentions, the clarity of all of the band is awesome as well. The most balanced mix ever.

You've saved me having to type all that.

Strangers is the greatest live album ever. I used to love live albums when I started out on my listening journey back in th every early 80s. This was mainly because the tracks sounded more "alive" than on their studio albums - KISS, Lizzy, Judas Priest etc. Nowadays I don't really bother with live albums other than as a concert bluray/dvd.

Strangers was number 11 in my top 50.

As I said when we discussed the album, Let It Roll sound bad vocally on the studio album. It's great on Strangers.

The added tracks take alot away from the album for me - I'd have been happier for them to be tucked away at the end more than at the start or disrupting the flow of an album I loved just the way it was for so long.

Schenker... just awesome. That tone is just so fat.

My only criticism of Strangers I guess would be the track listing. Some great songs were missed that could have been on here but I think it was recorded when they were the support act, so time would have been an issue.

The between song banter is pretty amateur but endearing. The whole changing the mikes things "can I fill in?" ... obviously not because he doesn't! ;D

Offline PowerSlave

I guess that I'm in the minority, but I've grown to really like the added tracks. Hot and Ready is amazing!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline pg1067

« Reply #407 on: September 14, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »
Strangers In The Night

UFO is by no means my favorite band, but Strangers in the Night remains my favorite live album of all time.

I honestly had no idea that Mother Mary and This Kid's weren't actually live tracks.

I think I've written about this before, but when I bought Strangers (vinyl), I still had my original stereo that I had received as a birthday gift in 1981.  It was a combo record player, cassette player/recorder AND 8-track player.  The speakers were nothing special and connected via RCA inputs.  If I remember correctly, I had the speakers positioned on a shelf that my mother had originally installed to display LEGOs that ran around 3 of the 4 walls in my bedroom.  Anyway, at some point, something happened with one of the speaker outputs, so instead of getting 50/50, I was getting something like 85/15 (I didn't initially notice this, but when I did, I tried to compensate by panning hard to the weak side and turning up the volume).  Strangers had Schenker mostly panned to (I think) the left and had Raymond panned mostly to the right, so I was hearing a VERY Paul Raymond-heavy mix (imagine setting your balance most of the way to one side).  You could hear when he would switch from guitar to keys and back, and I thought it was super cool.  Once I went out and bought a new stereo and heard the album as it was supposed to sound, I gained a new appreciation for Schenker.

Sides 2 and 3 of this album are absolute perfection, and 1 and 4 aren't far behind.

I used to love live albums when I started out on my listening journey back in th every early 80s. This was mainly because the tracks sounded more "alive" than on their studio albums - KISS, Lizzy, Judas Priest etc. Nowadays I don't really bother with live albums other than as a concert bluray/dvd.

This is me exactly.  Live albums used to be special, and they're not anymore since you get one (or sometimes more) per album cycle, so you end up with 93 live versions of Closer to the Heart.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You are right about Phil sounding totally baked when talking lol

UFO is a kick ass live band!

Mainly on those first 2 bonus tracks.  Man he sound gone lol!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just got home after working 5:00 am to 6:00 PM. Loved reading the comments throughout the day. Will jump in after dinner.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
In the picture I posted, on the table, you can see a UFO CD next to my Moosehead. It is a boot from the Chicago show. Honestly, I don't listen to it that much. But I put it in this this morning for the ride to work. I hit Lights Out and Rock Bottom.

The first thing that jumped out at me was that when Phil says "Lights Out in Chicago", he actually says it twice in the second chorus. On the album, he only says it once. And the Chicago Rock Bottom is definitely not the one on the album. At least not the raw solo.

A couple of quotes from Ron Nevison:

"They had a falling out after I worked with them.  It was after I did the Strangers in the Night album.  It’s funny, we went to Cleveland, I think.  We went to Youngstown.  They were big in Chicago.  They were popular there.  That was the biggest arena that we used.  I don’t remember what the name of the arena was.  We also did Youngstown.  We did Columbus.  We did Cleveland.  I might be wrong about this… you’d have to check and see where all we recorded. "

Regarding overdubs, Nevison says:
"I must say there were very little overdubs. I’ve heard people say “Oh yeah, there were lots of overdubs on the “Stangers” Live album but No. One of the reasons there wasn’t is because I picked the songs that didn’t need it. There was however some “fixing” here and there but there were not a lot of overdubs. "

I'm having trouble finding the exact quote but Nevison says that very little was used from the Chicago show, but the crown noise is definitely from Chicago.

One of the stories about Michael leaving was him being upset about which show they used for Rock Bottom. His dissatisfaction is confirmed by Nevison:

Schenker had been at loggerheads with producer Ron Nevison over which version of his showcase song Rock Bottom to use on the live album. The guitarist was unhappy with the producer’s choice of take, and insisted that he either change it or let him overdub it. Nevison refused.

“Michael’s entitled to believe that there were better takes of Rock Bottom that might have been used,” Nevison tells Classic Rock, “but a guy like Michael Schenker is only listening for Michael Schenker. As producer I listen to the bigger picture. Michael was never what you’d call a ‘band guy’.”

In the 2008 Remaster booklet there is the following info:

Track 1 (Hot N Ready) Recorded live in Youngstown OH 15/10/78
Track 2 (Cherry) Recorded live in Cleveland OH 16/10/78
Tracks 3 to 15 Recorded live at the Amphitheatre, Chicago and The Garden, Louisville.

In fact, UFO Live in Youngstown '78 is apparently being released in October on Record Store Day.
The Cleveland show is already in the UFO Official Bootleg Box Set. You can also see that in the picture next to my laptop. Like I said before, the Cleveland show has a great version of On With The Action.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:08:56 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #411 on: September 14, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
I still had my original stereo that I had received as a birthday gift in 1981.  It was a combo record player, cassette player/recorder AND 8-track player. 

Hah! I had something just like that. Combo turntable, radio, dual cassette, and 8 track!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have to relisten, but this live CD has made me enjoy a few of the songs a lot more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have to relisten, but this live CD has made me enjoy a few of the songs a lot more.

You should give I'm A Loser another chance. The Strangers version is amazing. Paul Raymond's keyboards are exquisite, and Schenker f'n rips it in the end.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
One thing that did jump out at me while listening to the Chicago show was how on point Andy Parker was. That guy was solid AF on these shows.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You should give I'm A Loser another chance. The Strangers version is amazing. Paul Raymond's keyboards are exquisite, and Schenker f'n rips it in the end.

That's one of the ones I really liked here.  Phil's vox were smooth and the whole version has a great vibe.  Slightly harder edge too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When I first got this album, that was the song that I took too immediately. I still rate it as one of my favorites.

With this album (and I got Obsession at the same time), I was really taken aback at Phil Mogg's vocals. I felt he had a really unique voice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Chicago '78 boot is not on Youtube, so because I love you guys, I figured out soundcloud. Let me know if there's any issues with the link.

https://soundcloud.com/user-842225265-104214575/sets/dr-jekyll-mr-plug-keep-on-rockin-1978-chicago

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck the version of Rock Me here is amazing.  I love this song.  Schenkers lead melody he plays along in the chorus is excellent.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck the version of Rock Me here is amazing.  I love this song.  Schenkers lead melody he plays along in the chorus is excellent.

I'm probably repeating myself, but I think more song writers should use this technique. I fucking love it.