Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143083 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Obsession
« Reply #350 on: September 11, 2020, 02:12:13 AM »
They had some minor hits in the UK with Chapman I remember. they played Top Of The Pops I think, which was always a coup for a rock band.

I saw them at the  local university on the TWTWATI tour so they were never big even here.

They had everything to make - just never did. The British Y&T maybe?

Schenker's shenanigans won't have helped, like Lizzy's revolving door. Will he turn up? Who's in the band?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #351 on: September 11, 2020, 02:55:26 AM »
Rock Bottom is still played to this day on classic rock radio (as is Doctor Doctor)...so I’m not buying the “never had a hit” argument.

Could it be a regional thing? I've never heard them on the radio (here in Ohio) with the exception of Venus getting some very limited play on one of the local stations when the reunion era began.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2020, 05:59:49 AM »
Rock Bottom is still played to this day on classic rock radio (as is Doctor Doctor)...so I’m not buying the “never had a hit” argument.

I'd need to see evidence of this before I'd believe it. What radio station? Do they publish their playlist?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2020, 06:05:40 AM »
Listen postponed til tomorrow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2020, 07:04:55 AM »

Not to argue, but TAC is on to something.   I grew up with the late 70's, early 80's hard rock "movement", and other than Kiss, which I got into in '77, '78, and Billy Joel, same time, almost all the bands I got into had a hit album or song in the 1980 to 1982 time frame, as played on the radio (for me, WPLR in New Haven, WICC in Bridgeport, and WRKI - "I-95" - in Danbury).

Priest:  You've Got Another Thing Coming
Maiden:  The Number Of The Beast
Ozzy:  Crazy Train (though for me, it was I Don't Know)
Sabbath:  Heaven And Hell
Rainbow: Jealous Lover (and later, Stone Cold)
Rush:  Tom Sawyer
AC/DC:  Back In Black (the album)
Scorpions: No One Like You

I can't speak for anywhere else, but in the Northeast, where I lived, I NEVER heard a UFO song on the radio.  The first UFO song I ever heard was "Doctor, Doctor" on either One Night At Budokan, or Rock Will Never Die by MSG (I can't remember which one I got first; the ONAB was an import double and was REALLY expensive, so memory says I got the single disk RWND first). 

I jumped to MSG directly because the first album had Billy Sheehan and was produced by Roger Glover (Deep Purple/Rainbow) and the second one had Cozy Powell, also from Rainbow (I had no idea who Paul Raymond was).   Even though I was big into Scorpions, I went back into the Roth years, and never quite made the jump to UFO.   I just didn't.  They didn't open for anyone I saw on tour (though that was a little later, '82, '83, '84, and UFO was on hiatus at that time).

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #355 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:29 AM »
The local classic rock station here played "Lights Out" fairly often and I know (now that I listened to the whole album) that they played "Too Hot to Handle" as well.

So far I think I like NHP best and then LO. Love Lost Love has maybe been the standout song for me though.

They kind of remind me of a mix of Kiss, Billy Squier, and Y&T. maybe sorta.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #356 on: September 11, 2020, 09:59:21 AM »
That’s cool, V! Glad you’re listening along!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2020, 10:21:29 AM »

They "never had a hit" in the sense that they had relatively little sales or chart success and got relatively little contemporary radio play (at least in the U.S.).

Every studio album they released between Phenomenon and Misdemeanor charted in the U.S., but only six of those albums made the top 100, and none did better than #41 (Obsession).  Strangers in the Night went to #42.

They never had an album go gold in the U.S. (much less Platinum), and they only had two albums (No Place to Run and Strangers) go silver in the UK (60,000 units).  The only single to chart in the U.S. was Too Hot to Handle (#106), and only seven singles charted in the UK (the highest being Young Blood, which reached #36).

So, yeah, "never had a hit is completely accurate."  The airplay that a few of their 40+ year old songs get on classic rock radio doesn't change that.

I can't speak for anywhere else, but in the Northeast, where I lived, I NEVER heard a UFO song on the radio.

The two biggest rock radio stations in Southern California in the 70s and 80s were KMET and KLOS.  I can't speak for the period from 74-81, but by the time I started listening, UFO was virtually nowhere to be found, except for a couple of hard rock/metal-focused shows that would air late at night or on weekends.  KNAC ("Pure Rock") showed up in 86 and, I think, became nationally known and would occasionally play a handful of UFO songs, but they certainly weren't in heavy rotation.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: September 11, 2020, 04:52:32 PM »

Now I haven't listened to the radio actively in at least 15 years, though every now and then while driving, I'll flick over.

But as an avid listener of the radio from 1979/80 through the 90's, I have never heard either one of those songs on the radio.

I do remember WCOZ in Boston played Too Hot once. This would've been very early on. But they played a lot of obscure stuff.

I also remember when the came in the summer of '86, the local station in Providence played This Time a few times to help promote the show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: September 11, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »
Not sure if you guys are familar with the youtube channel FresnoMediaRestoration, but it is one of the best channels out there. That have tons of classic footage.
Here they basically have the Holy Grail of UFO footage. Unfortunately the instrumental section of Rock Bottom is missing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuOnBwAZbIU&t=0s

A few months later, after Schenker leaves, Paul Chapman comes in and finishes the tour. Here is the show from Passaic, NJ.
This would be the sixth show with Chapman.
https://youtu.be/fqGpp_gKoms

Anyone check out any of this footage? Obsession tour!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: September 11, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
Watching it now  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: September 11, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »
This is awesome stuff! I’ve listened to live UFO, but this is one of the first times I’ve watched them. Great live band. They all have lots of charisma on stage especially Way and Phil Mogg. Mogg actually has a bit of a similar look and swagger to Bon Scott.  Or maybe Bon Scott has a similar look and swagger to Phil Mogg lol. Regardless this show looked like a steal for $7.50 for admission

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #362 on: September 11, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
Phil Mogg missed that cue on the second verse of Hot N Ready more than once.

Jason, do you see Steve Harris in Pete Way's performance?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: September 11, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
Phil Mogg missed that cue on the second verse of Hot N Ready more than once.

Definitely

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #364 on: September 12, 2020, 01:03:44 AM »

I realize that I'm not the Jason that you were referring to, but I've seen some pictures of Pete on stage over the years that I would almost have thought that they were of Steve at a quick glance. Steve certainly took much of his look and stage persona from Pete.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: September 12, 2020, 02:22:01 AM »
I'm really enjoying Obsession.  I'll post more thoughts tomorrow when I'm on my PC but this might be my fav album so far.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #366 on: September 12, 2020, 02:45:49 AM »
 :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: September 12, 2020, 08:06:33 AM »
That footage is awesome, but they look almost... awkward on stage.  I don't know; maybe I'm used to bands like Rush, Maiden, and Kiss, where there is almost a "choreography" to it at this point, but they look like they are almost winging it in terms of where to go and when.   Pete is almost banging into people as he moves across the stage. I have to watch more to see if that's always the case.

Offline robbob

« Reply #368 on: September 12, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
That footage is awesome, definitely The Holy Grail of classic UFO live footage. Phil sounds a little tipsy on this one, lol. But, i'm guessing he was the same on most nights.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #369 on: September 12, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »
I'm really enjoying Obsession.  I'll post more thoughts tomorrow when I'm on my PC but this might be my fav album so far.

Nice. I thought you'd like it.

I'll hold off on Strangers until you post. I look forward to reading.

That footage is awesome, but they look almost... awkward on stage.  I don't know; maybe I'm used to bands like Rush, Maiden, and Kiss, where there is almost a "choreography" to it at this point, but they look like they are almost winging it in terms of where to go and when.   Pete is almost banging into people as he moves across the stage. I have to watch more to see if that's always the case.

Well, they all seem to have their space, but yes, Pete is a one man wrecking crew.

That footage is awesome, definitely The Holy Grail of classic UFO live footage.

:metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: September 12, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »
Did the live album Strangers in the Night make UFO stars as compared to their studio albums which were hit or miss with rock fans? Kind of the same situation that Kiss went to the next level with the live album Alive as compared to their first three studio albums which in seemed to also be hit or miss with success?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: September 12, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »
It's a question for Podaar maybe.

Seems a lot of live albums, like Alive, Strangers, Frampton Comes Alive, the live versions brought to life the songs that those early studio recordings lacked. I think that's why live albums in the 70's were way more impactful than they are today.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: September 12, 2020, 09:05:22 PM »
Interesting

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2020, 05:09:47 AM »
Rock Me:  This one sounds familiar, like I've heard it years ago or something.  Anyway, I like this one.  I like the contrast ofthe sections.  I love how it goes from the rock style to that lovely chorus.  That chorus is catchy as fuck too.  The Shenker solo is beautiful, so tasteful.  Great opener.

Pack It Up: Gives me a Zeppelin/Hendrix vibe this one, but has a harder edge.  Shenker rips it up here.  The chorus works well.  short and catchy but works a treat.  Shenkers fills throughout fills things out nicely. 

Hill:  I don't understand this one and why it's here.

Ain't No baby:  That melody is so beautiful, and I love the note interplay between the guitar and bass, that's quite creative.  I didn't expect the Judas Priest British Steel era type verse either but it's great.  It's a slow burn but everything here is nice.  That section afterwards reprising the intro is just so good.  Really good song this.  That climax it to chorus where it kind of blends the intro and rocking verses is genius.

Number One:  I would normally hate songs like this, but I love it.  That cheesy 70's pop chorus is lovely.  The minor feel of the verses to the major key chorus is excellent.  One thing about this album is the songwriting is top notch.  Shenker cries in the solo and gives me a Beatles feel with the chord progression.

Hot 'n' Ready:  This one gives me the Foreigner vibe again but this one is much better.  Nothing special but great rocker.  Shenker is all over this one again.

Cherry: Interesting feel this one.  Really doesn't get going until the southern style chorus.  I like it though.  The thing about this album is there is so many styles going on through the songwriting.  Every song offers something.

Don't Fool Me:  That chorus is killer and Shenkers note choices make it even better.  The solo here is blistering.  Love it.

Number 1 Repise:  Why?  But you can hear it, it's quirky and cool.

Rodeo:  Probably my fav song and the hardest rocker.  Great atmosphere on this one and Phil's vocals shine for me here.  Shenker is all over this album and all his fills are fills of legends.  This one flat out rocks.  The tempo and groove is undeniable.  Some interseting stuff from Shenker in the solo too.

Born to Lose:  This could be my second fav.  Quiet intro and that chorus is again something I would never normally like but it's lovely.  The highlight here is the solo.  Shenker absolutely slays here.  The intro quiet section reminds me actually of Jim Matheos in Parells/Inside Out Fates Warning. Then it kicks in. Fuck me, this is some great soloing.  It's very Tony Iommi this solo in his licks and phrasing but the constant key changes bring Tony Macalpine to mind.  Best leads of the album and possibly one of Shenkers all time best??

Love this album and even though it doesn't have a big Love to Love or whatever, everything here is great songwriting and the variety througout make it so enjoyable.  Really great album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2020, 05:33:26 AM »
Not to go off topic, but inbetween the UFO albums I've been listening to my MSG 5 CD collection.  Built to Destroy......lol...WTF?  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2020, 06:52:05 AM »
Rock Me:  This one sounds familiar, like I've heard it years ago or something.  Anyway, I like this one.  I like the contrast ofthe sections.  I love how it goes from the rock style to that lovely chorus.  That chorus is catchy as fuck too.  The Shenker solo is beautiful, so tasteful.  Great opener.

Pack It Up: Gives me a Zeppelin/Hendrix vibe this one, but has a harder edge.  Shenker rips it up here.  The chorus works well.  short and catchy but works a treat.  Shenkers fills throughout fills things out nicely. 

Ain't No baby:  That melody is so beautiful, and I love the note interplay between the guitar and bass, that's quite creative.  I didn't expect the Judas Priest British Steel era type verse either but it's great.  It's a slow burn but everything here is nice.  That section afterwards reprising the intro is just so good.  Really good song this.  That climax it to chorus where it kind of blends the intro and rocking verses is genius.

Number One:  I would normally hate songs like this, but I love it.  That cheesy 70's pop chorus is lovely.  The minor feel of the verses to the major key chorus is excellent.  One thing about this album is the songwriting is top notch.  Shenker cries in the solo and gives me a Beatles feel with the chord progression.

Hot 'n' Ready:  This one gives me the Foreigner vibe again but this one is much better.  Nothing special but great rocker.  Shenker is all over this one again.

Cherry: Interesting feel this one.  Really doesn't get going until the southern style chorus.  I like it though.  The thing about this album is there is so many styles going on through the songwriting.  Every song offers something.

Don't Fool Me:  That chorus is killer and Shenkers note choices make it even better.  The solo here is blistering.  Love it.

Number 1 Repise:  Why?  But you can hear it, it's quirky and cool.

Rodeo:  Probably my fav song and the hardest rocker.  Great atmosphere on this one and Phil's vocals shine for me here.  Shenker is all over this album and all his fills are fills of legends.  This one flat out rocks.  The tempo and groove is undeniable.  Some interseting stuff from Shenker in the solo too.

Born to Lose:  This could be my second fav.  Quiet intro and that chorus is again something I would never normally like but it's lovely.  The highlight here is the solo.  Shenker absolutely slays here.  The intro quiet section reminds me actually of Jim Matheos in Parells/Inside Out Fates Warning. Then it kicks in. Fuck me, this is some great soloing.  It's very Tony Iommi this solo in his licks and phrasing but the constant key changes bring Tony Macalpine to mind.  Best leads of the album and possibly one of Shenkers all time best??

Love this album and even though it doesn't have a big Love to Love or whatever, everything here is great songwriting and the variety througout make it so enjoyable.  Really great album.

:heart :heart :heart

Other than the reminders of other peoples music (which I never do) this could have been written by me!

Kade, don't you just love the interplay of vocal and lead guitar during the chorus of One More for the Rodeo? It's like Shenker is accompanying the vocal and then extending it. When I was listening the other day (for the 1000 time in my life) I thought that would grab you.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2020, 06:54:24 AM »
Not to go off topic, but inbetween the UFO albums I've been listening to my MSG 5 CD collection.  Built to Destroy......lol...WTF?  :lol

Yeah, ended up doing to that vinyl what Michael is doing to the Merc on the cover.

That's when MS lost me for decades. I just couldn't be bothered.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #377 on: September 13, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »
I think Built To Destroy has aged pretty well. We’ll get there in a couple of weeks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #378 on: September 13, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
Looking forward to that. I’ve been listening to a lot of schenker I’d never heard before in the last week or so. Most of it has been pretty great.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #379 on: September 13, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »

You'll be hearing the acoustic guitar part again later in the discography. The "reboot" is much better than the original.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #380 on: September 13, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
Damn, I got 7 pages to catch up with. Work was an absolute bear coming back from vacation.

I have listened up to Obsession, though mostly while multitasking in some manner. Lots of great music, but it’s hard to put my finger on specific tracks as to which were most memorable (because it wasn’t a dedicated listen. Will try to do more of that this week - and catch up on the last 7 pages!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: September 13, 2020, 12:16:26 PM »
Did the live album Strangers in the Night make UFO stars as compared to their studio albums which were hit or miss with rock fans? Kind of the same situation that Kiss went to the next level with the live album Alive as compared to their first three studio albums which in seemed to also be hit or miss with success?

Well, it's kind of relative, isn't it?   Alive! both spawned a hit single (the live RnRAN) and pushed Kiss to the level of headlining arenas, which in turn led them to Bob Ezrin (and "Destroyer").   SitN might have been the breakthrough, but with Schenker leaving, and their subsequent hiatus, even if it was a 'hit', they didn't become "stars" off of it in the same way. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: September 13, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »

I know, right?  How did he bounce back with an album THAT GOOD?   :) :) :)

(Just busting; I think you mean something else, but I love Built To Destroy; one of my favorites.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »

You'll be hearing the acoustic guitar part again later in the discography. The "reboot" is much better than the original.

Yup! And you don’t even have to be a musician to hear it.  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: September 13, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »

I know, right?  How did he bounce back with an album THAT GOOD?   :) :) :)

(Just busting; I think you mean something else, but I love Built To Destroy; one of my favorites.)

I'll give it another go when we get to it lol.  Interesting album.