Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143143 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Lights Out
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2020, 06:11:14 AM »

On With The Action: I have no idea what Mogg is singing about, but I feel it might be a song that I can identify with.  But this song is all about the guitars.  I love the riff, I love that guitar figure after the first chorus; then a solo that is an almost totally different feel and elevates the song.    Michael tears it up here big time.  I like Mogg's vocal, but the affectation on the chorus is...  wierd, and I'm not sure I get it.

Bolded the important point there. Good to see it's not just me. The chorus vocals rub me the wrong way and take me out of it a bit. Almost in an inflection where someone is trying to be funny or doing a parody and being goofy. I don't know, but I'm totally with you on this.

It's a legit point. I don't disagree. It seems like they may have missed what they were going for.

What the hell? I know it's not the Jets vs. Sharks on Broadway, so it might not be obvious to us Americans, but sheesh. The song is about urban ghetto life across the pond. In all fairness, I'm sure the 'affectation' of rap music from the same time confused suburban white-bread Brits too.   :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2020, 06:12:12 AM »
Just Another Suicide: I love this song for the playing; I which Michael was a little more... prominent in the mix.  His signature sound doesn't really come out until that solo, but there are some tasty riffs going on in here that I think lose some teeth in the mix.

I appreciate this post in it's entirety but I'm just addressing this bit.

Tastes, as Chad would say.

The dialed back production on Michael's electric guitar is part of the brilliance of this song...listen to his acoustic work, for Thor's sake! It's fantastic how he and Raymond build this vast arena sized space for Parker and Way to shine in while Mogg shows real feeling through Verse 1a and Verse 1b...then they all come together for the chorus into a near unison at "Somebody, someone..." The sound is fit for an Stadium. Then when Schenker's lead work comes in, it has the perfect sonic space to deliver notes and phrases in the way that only he can. It's absolutely chill inducing.

Look, I know I'm old fashioned and maybe out of touch, but rock doesn't have to have a scratching distorted guitar to be impactful, powerful, and soul crushing. This song isn't about getting wasted and banging chicks. The music fits the song in a very creative, unique way. Just like music should.

IMO
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:30:37 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2020, 06:23:05 AM »

On With The Action: I have no idea what Mogg is singing about, but I feel it might be a song that I can identify with.  But this song is all about the guitars.  I love the riff, I love that guitar figure after the first chorus; then a solo that is an almost totally different feel and elevates the song.    Michael tears it up here big time.  I like Mogg's vocal, but the affectation on the chorus is...  wierd, and I'm not sure I get it.

Bolded the important point there. Good to see it's not just me. The chorus vocals rub me the wrong way and take me out of it a bit. Almost in an inflection where someone is trying to be funny or doing a parody and being goofy. I don't know, but I'm totally with you on this.

It's a legit point. I don't disagree. It seems like they may have missed what they were going for.

What the hell? I know it's not the Jets vs. Sharks on Broadway, so it might not be obvious to us Americans, but sheesh. The song is about urban ghetto life across the pond. In all fairness, I'm sure the 'affectation' of rap music from the same time confused suburban white-bread Brits too.   :lol

It is weird and as a Brit I can't offer any explanation for the way he sings it. It's not a local accent type of thing as far as I can tell. It's in contrast to the great tone Mogg sings the rest of the song with.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2020, 06:52:53 AM »

It is weird and as a Brit I can't offer any explanation for the way he sings it. It's not a local accent type of thing as far as I can tell. It's in contrast to the great tone Mogg sings the rest of the song with.

Whether they achieved what the were going for is a different argument, but in my view they were portraying mealy-mouthed street kids loafing on corner trying to look tough.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2020, 07:59:06 AM »
I thought we were talking about how the words On With The Action were sung in the chorus.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2020, 08:28:45 AM »
Both UFO and Saxon get reference as two of the most influential metal/rock bands ever.  But besides satellite radio or House of Hair, I've never once heard them on the radio or anybody talk about either expect once for Saxon.  For people that experienced UFO in the 70s or 80s, were they ever considered an A list band or were they always a bit of an underground band with a dedicated following?

This is a great point and I was actually wondering the same thing. I can't believe how these guys ever missed my radar. I mean, my Dad has pics of me as a toddler trying to queue up a 45 on his turntable. I have been music obsessed my whole life. I have a huge collection. Somehow, I have always heard of UFO but never heard UFO. I am through Strangers so far and literally the only thing that I even recognized was the chorus of Love To Love. Other than that, nothing rings a bell.

Same with Saxon. I have heard of them but have never heard them either.

That's me too.  And considering I grew up on Kiss, Maiden, Scorpions and MSG, it's a disgrace, frankly.  :) 

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2020, 08:33:35 AM »
I thought we were talking about how the words On With The Action were sung in the chorus.

:lol

We are...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »

Rising:  I actually dig side one of Rising, though it's Side Two that makes the record.   LLRnR is the second best Dio era Rainbow record (only hurt by LA Connection and Sensitive To Light) and the debut a distant third.   Then again, I prefer the Joe Lynn Turner era of Rainbow, so what do I know?

I can see that point of view between those two albums. I do like LA Connection, though. It's not as good as the rest of the album, but it doesn't bring it down for me.

I really like Joe Lynn Turner's voice, and some of the songs from his era are really good. It just feels like it's a different band that has nothing in common with its beginnings. I might be trying to be too much of a purist, though.

I totally agree it's a different band, no argument.  I just LIKE that.  Fire Dance. The live version of "All Night Long" from the "Can't Let You Go" single.   Man.

The thing with Dio for me is, I first heard him in Sabbath.   Heaven and Hell, and Mob Rules.  So "Sign Of The Southern Cross" and "Heaven and Hell".  And for me, while I don't care all that much about lyrics (and JLT is a horrible lyricist) there are things on the first couple Rainbow albums that stick out, badly.  "Double indemnity" on "Black Sheep", etc.   My "impression" is of Dio as this evil gnome wizard, and there's a lot on the early stuff that betrays that (listen to some of his stage patter on the Japan releases; I know it's Japan and the odds are most don't understand a word of what he's saying, but still, it's inane at times).

I also have a sort of East Coast bias against certain songs about Los Angeles.  "LA Connection", "Steamrock Fever" by Scorpions... there are a couple others.    I know, I'm weird.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »
Just Another Suicide: I love this song for the playing; I which Michael was a little more... prominent in the mix.  His signature sound doesn't really come out until that solo, but there are some tasty riffs going on in here that I think lose some teeth in the mix.

I appreciate this post in it's entirety but I'm just addressing this bit.

Tastes, as Chad would say.

The dialed back production on Michael's electric guitar is part of the brilliance of this song...listen to his acoustic work, for Thor's sake! It's fantastic how he and Raymond build this vast arena sized space for Parker and Way to shine in while Mogg shows real feeling through Verse 1a and Verse 1b...then they all come together for the chorus into a near unison at "Somebody, someone..." The sound is fit for an Stadium. Then when Schenker's lead work comes in, it has the perfect sonic space to deliver notes and phrases in the way that only he can. It's absolutely chill inducing.

Look, I know I'm old fashioned and maybe out of touch, but rock doesn't have to have a scratching distorted guitar to be impactful, powerful, and soul crushing. This song isn't about getting wasted and banging chicks. The music fits the song in a very creative, unique way. Just like music should.

IMO

No I hear you.  There's another song on that album where the subdued production fits like a glove - Gettin' Ready.  I'm not saying that it ALWAYS has to be gritty, but in that case of JAS, I think it went too far the other way.

And you have no idea what Mogg is singing about. It well COULD be getting wasted and banging chicks.  NO ONE knows what Mogg is singing about.  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2020, 08:45:31 AM »
I think you guys earlier were a little harsh.  I wouldn't say it's a rip but I totally hear what Tim is hearing with the Love ToLove/Desert Song similarities.

I definitely didn't intend to be. If that's the way that it sounded then I apologise.

Both songs are my favorite from their era's. I do hear some similarities, and I appreciate that someone who isn't a musician can identity them.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 09, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
I think you guys earlier were a little harsh.  I wouldn't say it's a rip but I totally hear what Tim is hearing with the Love ToLove/Desert Song similarities.

I definitely didn't intend to be. If that's the way that it sounded then I apologise.

Both songs are my favorite from their era's. I do hear some similarities, and I appreciate that someone who isn't a musician can identity them.

All good mate.  That outro solo in DS is so damn tasty.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: September 09, 2020, 04:05:10 PM »
The outro solo is something Schenker really excels at. It's evident throughout the MSG albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Obsession
« Reply #327 on: September 09, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »
Obsession

Obsession (1978)

Released June 21, 1978

1. Only You Can Rock Me
2. Pack It Up (And Go)
3. Arbory Hill
4. Ain't No Baby
5. Lookin' Out For No. 1
6. Hot n' Ready
7. Cherry
8. You Don't Fool Me
9. Lookin' Out For No. 1 (Reprise)
10. One More For The Rodeo
11. Born To Lose

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Michael Schenker-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/ Guitar

Michael Schenker would be coaxed back into the fold for the next album. Again produced by Ron Nevison, Obsession features a raw heavier sound, while maintaining it's conciseness. It would be on this tour, in America, where Strangers In The Night would be recorded. Shortly after those shows, with about a dozen shows left, during a brief break, Schenker left again. This time for good. Again, Paul Chapman would come in and finish the tour.

I managed to find this gem online somewhere. It features a prototype for the album cover, and the actual band pic with slicked back hair before the balls were added to the faces.

Obsession is also the first album to feature the new, and still used today, UFO logo.

The logo was designed by a young designer named Geoff Halpin, who rented space with another designer that worked with Hipgnosis. Storm Thorgerson of Hipgnosis asked Halpin to design a logo for him for the Obsession album.

Here is the original model:

He basically cut the letters in half and envisioned some radio interference, which is hand drawn. The logo has been used ever since!

Not sure if you guys are familar with the youtube channel FresnoMediaRestoration, but it is one of the best channels out there. That have tons of classic footage.
Here they basically have the Holy Grail of UFO footage. Unfortunately the instrumental section of Rock Bottom is missing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuOnBwAZbIU&t=0s

A few months later, after Schenker leaves, Paul Chapman comes in and finishes the tour. Here is the show from Passaic, NJ.
This would be the sixth show with Chapman.
https://youtu.be/fqGpp_gKoms

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: September 09, 2020, 09:25:17 PM »
Will grab this CD out and listen tomorrow.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #329 on: September 10, 2020, 12:05:09 AM »
I think this may have been my first UFO album, but can’t quite remember if I got Strangers first.

It’s years since I’ve listened to the whole thing so I’ll give this a go at work today. Several titles there give me no memories of the songs.

Cherry and Hot n Ready are on the expanded version of Strangers but I felt dragged Strangers down a bit, though I don’t dislike the songs.

My memory tells me I liked the production but will comment again when I’ve played it back today.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2020, 03:58:55 AM »
Listened to it twice this morning - I'd say it's a very consistent album overall although it doesn't rock quite as much as the previous ones. It lacks stand out classic songs but it's a great album with no skippers. I'm thinking it's probably my favourite so far.
Looking Out For Number One is a great ballad. OYCRM is a UFO classic. I like Cherry and Hot n Ready better than on the expanded version of Strangers.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: September 10, 2020, 05:58:10 AM »
Listened to it twice this morning - I'd say it's a very consistent album overall although it doesn't rock quite as much as the previous ones. It lacks stand out classic songs but it's a great album with no skippers. I'm thinking it's probably my favourite so far.
Looking Out For Number One is a great ballad. OYCRM is a UFO classic. I like Cherry and Hot n Ready better than on the expanded version of Strangers.

This is me, Lowdz. Well said. This album lacks its Love to Love, or Lights Out, or Mother Mary, or Rock Bottom... but it is super enjoyable to listen to from front to back. The volume and distortion is turned up on the guitars (they heard Stadler's whinging through their time machine) but they kept much of the lush production of the previous. Even the low point of the album, Hot n' Ready, only misses because of the lyrics and vocal hook--the music is actually excellent. This is also my favorite UFO album, to date. We'll see if that changes.

Obsession is when my opinion went from Schenker is a fantastic player to Schenker is a guitar god. I've read all the criticism over the years that call this album too busy--that Schenker was allowed to step all over everyone else too much. I call bullshit. There are two features of this album, that I hope ya'll notice while you listen, that I absolutely love. It has mesmerized me since my first listen all those years ago. 1) Schenker tastefully playing lead in harmony with or accompanying Mogg's vocal melody. 2) Schenker's lead accents at the end of vocal lines. Or in the case of One More for the Rodeo, both. Without the intensity and just plain brilliance of his note/lick/trick selection this album wouldn't be near as good. I think this showed real growth in his playing and a sense of pushing boundaries that I really appreciated at the time. I now realize that he wasn't particularly original with this playing, he was borrowing licks and tricks, but it was the first time I'd heard it, so...

I find Pack it Up (And Go), Ain't No Baby, You Don't Fool Me, One More for the Rodeo, particularly excellent. Cherry, Only You Can Rock Me, Born to Lose, Arbory Hill, Lookin' Out for No. 1. (both), then Hot n' Ready. In that order.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 06:52:18 AM by Podaar »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2020, 06:41:15 AM »
Cool to see the love for this album, it is my favorite! Like it was said, the production has the Lights Out quality, but less polished, wich allows to feel more the punch/energy of the band. Maybe the “ausence of classics” has to do with the fact that Strangers in the Night had only OYCRM for years. Anyway, when they added 2 mores songs from it, I think OYCRM and Cherry, although very good,  to me, they are the two “worst” songs from the album. Obsession is what is is, because of Michael Schenker being in an absolute state of grace.  We have here songs, riffs and solos (and more solos, everywhere!) incredibly inspired! Pack It Up (and Go), Ain't No Baby, Hot 'n' Ready, You don't Fool Me and One More for the Rodeo are really killer, while there’s space for flute (?!) and great orchestration in truly beautiful songs like Arbory Hill, Looking Out for nº 1 (and the reprise) and Born to Loose.

Ranking:
OBSESSION (my favorite)/? - 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT - 9,5
?/?/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/?/? – 8,5
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #333 on: September 10, 2020, 06:51:18 AM »
By the way, the UFO logo is AMAZING!!! I don't know, maybe my favorite from all the bands that I know.
I always thought about it like, well, UFOs properly, not as radio interference. Anyway, simple and yet very memorable!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: September 10, 2020, 11:41:44 AM »
I don't know if I will go song for song - You Don't Fool Me is one of my favorites on the record, along with Cherry; Pack It Up (And Go) can pack it up and go for all I care - but even if this isn't the best UFO record, it's probably Phil Moggs best record.  He sings the shit out of each and every song, in my opinion.   Michael is great, but we knew that.   It's Phil that shines here. 

One other observation:  musicians are, often, products of their environment.   Some - Fish is one, Springsteen another - get strident when angry, and it's not often their best work.  Both are better when being more ruminative, and writing from more calm (if not equally unsettling) emotions.   Guitar players the same; Page's best work was composed and prepared in the relaxed environment of a Welsh hut the size of my bathroom with no electricity.   Gilmour too.  McCartney, and even Lennon, did their best work when just letting the imagination go wild.  But there are two guitar players that have proven, over their career, to make their best work when flat out pissed off and angry:  Ritchie Blackmore, and Michael Schenker.  His two best records with the band were when he was least satisfied with the group, and that continued into his solo career. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
The Obsession album cover is kind of weirding me out  :lol

Pack it Up and Go is a great song and like Paul mentioned, Lookin out for #1 is an excellent ballad.  Really like that one.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »
Ritchie Blackmore, and Michael Schenker.  His two best records with the band were when he was least satisfied with the group, and that continued into his solo career.

I agree in tems of Schenker. Personally, the first MSG album from 1980, it's also my favorite Schenker solo album. About Blackmore, are your refering to Stormbringer/Richie Blackmore's Rainbow? I like a lot those albums, but I think Blackmore recorded better albums, included as a guitar player.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »
As to the negative comments about UFO's album covers...I guess it's just one of those things. You almost had to be there.  :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
Obsession is their most consistent album to date, even though it doesn’t have any truly ‘standout’ tracks that we had on their previous four albums. Eminently listenable. And I think I actually heard Only You Can Rock Me on the radio. The riff for Pack It Up and Go sounds like it was lifted from Zep’s Immigrant Song. I think I read somewhere that the idea for the song was a message to Zeppelin that they were done as a band and they should do as the song title says. That said, it feels like Obsession failed to expand on the direction hinted at by Lights Out (the song) and moving the band in a direction that could’ve been darker and heavier.

Yet another bizarro album cover. Why? It almost seems as if Schenker’s image was pasted in as an afterthought. Was it an oversight? Was that intentional? Either way, it makes it look like he was some sort of odd man, singled out, but in a good way or a bad way?

The haphazardness of their album covers sort of reflects their musical career. Which leads me to the burning question. As seen by the plenty of folk in this thread who are only recently catching up to the goodness of UFO, this band was missed/passed over by quite a few, myself included. Why is that? Why did this band fly under the radar, failing to achieve the renown of contemporaries like Rush, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Styx, Foreigner (a band someone mentioned previously) etc. They certainly had the chops to stand up to these other bands.

Maybe because they never got radio AirPlay, nor that big hit song to push them over the top. Maybe they were so focused on the party that a true band vision was never developed over time. A lack of business or commercial acumen (as evidenced by the poor album covers)? It was just partying and then simply playing to their strengths and talents, whatever that might be. Perhaps it was the quirk (British) in the songwriting and Mogg’s lyrics.

Anyway, I can’t help but ponder about these things as I sit here listening to all these fine albums. Not being a dick when I say this, but this band underachieved, at least commercially. UFO coulda/shoulda been bigger, but they weren’t.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:53:37 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »
As to the negative comments about UFO's album covers...I guess it's just one of those things. You almost had to be there.  :lol

This one is just weird. Not sure what it’s trying to say, unlike the previous ones.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2020, 03:55:04 PM »
Ritchie Blackmore, and Michael Schenker.  His two best records with the band were when he was least satisfied with the group, and that continued into his solo career.

I agree in tems of Schenker. Personally, the first MSG album from 1980, it's also my favorite Schenker solo album. About Blackmore, are your refering to Stormbringer/Richie Blackmore's Rainbow? I like a lot those albums, but I think Blackmore recorded better albums, included as a guitar player.

No, more In Rock (angry at the turn of events with Mark I, and doing the Concerto thing], Burn (angry at Gillan for his nonsense, firing Glover basically because it was Tuesday), Long Live R'n'R (angry at the revolving bass/keyboard door, getting disillusioned with Dio), and ESPECIALLY Battle Rages On (angry at everyone not named "Candace").  The album is just ok - because Gillan does NOT seem to rise to that occasion/emotion, but from a pure guitar standpoint, TBRO is an INCENDIARY record, and some of the playing on that tour is WILD.   

Also check out the Live In California CD/DVD when Blackmore was pissed at the festival planners (he sat in his trailer and made the crowd wait almost two hours because he thought the band was promised to go on at dusk, and they wanted him to go on in daylight) and the cameramen (for being in his way on stage; at one point the camera was literally a foot from him; later he turned and cracked his guitar over the camera itself, breaking it).   When he's pissed, he's on fire. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2020, 04:01:13 PM »
Definitely not saying anything negative about the album covers.  I get a kick out of the over the top aspect, just Obsesssion weirds me out for some reason.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
About to leave for work with Obsession CD in hand.  I hope this one is more impressive than LO.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »
About to leave for work with Obsession CD in hand.  I hope this one is more impressive than LO.

I have full respect for anyone that says they are about to play a CD.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »

I have a feeling you're going to enjoy it very much.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2020, 05:52:34 PM »
Obsession is my third favourite UFO studio album, after Phenomenon and No Heavy Petting. It really spotlights Schenker’s talents for me.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #346 on: September 10, 2020, 07:01:13 PM »
No, more In Rock (angry at the turn of events with Mark I, and doing the Concerto thing], Burn (angry at Gillan for his nonsense, firing Glover basically because it was Tuesday), Long Live R'n'R (angry at the revolving bass/keyboard door, getting disillusioned with Dio), and ESPECIALLY Battle Rages On (angry at everyone not named "Candace").  The album is just ok - because Gillan does NOT seem to rise to that occasion/emotion, but from a pure guitar standpoint, TBRO is an INCENDIARY record, and some of the playing on that tour is WILD.   

Also check out the Live In California CD/DVD when Blackmore was pissed at the festival planners (he sat in his trailer and made the crowd wait almost two hours because he thought the band was promised to go on at dusk, and they wanted him to go on in daylight) and the cameramen (for being in his way on stage; at one point the camera was literally a foot from him; later he turned and cracked his guitar over the camera itself, breaking it).   When he's pissed, he's on fire.
Cool, Stadler! Now I see what you meant about Blackmore and I agree about almost all of those releases. I have TBRO, but I guess I never really heard it with more atention. Never thought it as a bad album, but I always liked and heard a lot more Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light. But when I'll hear it again, I'll keep what you said in mind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »
This album lacks its Love to Love, or Lights Out, or Mother Mary, or Rock Bottom... but it is super enjoyable to listen to from front to back. The volume and distortion is turned up on the guitars (they heard Stadler's whinging through their time machine) but they kept much of the lush production of the previous. Even the low point of the album, Hot n' Ready, only misses because of the lyrics and vocal hook--the music is actually excellent. This is also my favorite UFO album, to date. We'll see if that changes.

Obsession is when my opinion went from Schenker is a fantastic player to Schenker is a guitar god. I've read all the criticism over the years that call this album too busy--that Schenker was allowed to step all over everyone else too much. I call bullshit. There are two features of this album, that I hope ya'll notice while you listen, that I absolutely love. It has mesmerized me since my first listen all those years ago. 1) Schenker tastefully playing lead in harmony with or accompanying Mogg's vocal melody. 2) Schenker's lead accents at the end of vocal lines. Or in the case of One More for the Rodeo, both. Without the intensity and just plain brilliance of his note/lick/trick selection this album wouldn't be near as good. I think this showed real growth in his playing and a sense of pushing boundaries that I really appreciated at the time. I now realize that he wasn't particularly original with this playing, he was borrowing licks and tricks, but it was the first time I'd heard it, so...

I find Pack it Up (And Go), Ain't No Baby, You Don't Fool Me, One More for the Rodeo, particularly excellent. Cherry, Only You Can Rock Me, Born to Lose, Arbory Hill, Lookin' Out for No. 1. (both), then Hot n' Ready. In that order.

I really love Obsession. It is one of my favorite albums to air drum to, especially Pack It Up (And Go) and You Don't Fool Me. Especially the solo section of You Don't Fool Me.

Looking Out For Number One was a song I really loved as a kid. It was one of those songs that spoke to me early on. One More For The Rodeo is one of my all time favorite UFO songs.

If I never heard Cherry again, I'd be fine. For some reason the band still insists on playing it. I kind of feel the same way about OYCRM, but once it gets going, it's great live.

The haphazardness of their album covers sort of reflects their musical career. Which leads me to the burning question. As seen by the plenty of folk in this thread who are only recently catching up to the goodness of UFO, this band was missed/passed over by quite a few, myself included. Why is that? Why did this band fly under the radar, failing to achieve the renown of contemporaries like Rush, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Styx, Foreigner (a band someone mentioned previously) etc. They certainly had the chops to stand up to these other bands.

Maybe because they never got radio AirPlay, nor that big hit song to push them over the top. Maybe they were so focused on the party that a true band vision was never developed over time. A lack of business or commercial acumen (as evidenced by the poor album covers)? It was just partying and then simply playing to their strengths and talents, whatever that might be. Perhaps it was the quirk (British) in the songwriting and Mogg’s lyrics.

Anyway, I can’t help but ponder about these things as I sit here listening to all these fine albums. Not being a dick when I say this, but this band underachieved, at least commercially. UFO coulda/shoulda been bigger, but they weren’t.

Even Pete Way will tell you that they threw away their chances. But really it all comes down to having a hit. UFO was just never on the radio. At least when I was a kid. Every 70's band had at least one major song in rotation, be it Aqualung, Radar Love, The Boys Are Back In Town.

I could never even come up with a reason why Rush became and stayed so popular, but what was important, especially with Scorps and Judas Priest, was that they survived 1979-1983 and rode the wave of the 80's arena rock movement. It simply wasn't a transition many bands were able to do.

If you look at their discography, they released an album every year from 1974 to 1983. And while Strangers was released in January of 1979, they treated it like a new released because they toured for it after its release.

There was Michael's unpredictability, his drinking. Paul Chapman would party hard with the band, as Chapman and Way were using heroin. Mogg was getting burned out, and eventually crashed on the Making Contact tour.

They just worked themselves to death. As we'll see in the Chapman Era, while there is some great music, you could feel the band kind of grinding to a halt, especially after WWI. It was the partying for sure, but it was really a non stop cycle that they were in that eventually caught up with them.

I have no idea why they never had a hit. It's something I always wondered when I was a kid. How are these guys not famous? How does everyone not know who they are?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: September 11, 2020, 12:35:25 AM »

I have full respect for anyone that says they are about to play a CD.

:metal

Got going and had a text right away about dumb shit at work and sped to work and wasn't listening properly.  Can't tell you anything.  Will try again tonight.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #349 on: September 11, 2020, 01:05:03 AM »
Rock Bottom is still played to this day on classic rock radio (as is Doctor Doctor)...so I’m not buying the “never had a hit” argument.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude