Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143149 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Lights Out
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »
Gregg, with your disappointment of NHP, was Lights Out an automatic buy? Did you hear a single on the radio first and then decide?

It was another record store trip, Tim. I was 15 and was saving money for my first car (I was going to turn 16 later in the year) but my financial philosophy was to enjoy about 5% of my earnings and music was still my preferred entertainment. I went to the store with the idea that I could afford two albums but I needed to be choosy. I was perusing the racks and not really finding anything that interested me. I saw Lights Out and saw on the back cover that they had a new member in Raymond (who bore a striking resemblance to my buddy Stan). Like you say, given my disappointment for NHP, I put it back on the rack.

I was about to give up and save my money when Johnny (the store clerk) asked if he could help me find something. He knew me by sight if not name. I said sure, so he recommended Cat Scratch Fever, Little Queen (Heart), and Lights Out. We talked for awhile, and I told him about not enjoying NHP...he laughed and said, "Yeah, this is an entirely different animal. Let me put it on." So, I sniffed around the import section while listening to Lights Out over the PA in the store. I left with it and Little Queen. I did end up with Cat Scratch Fever but I got it when I joined the Columbia Record Club later in the summer.

Do you attend any shows during the 70’s?

I did, but not until '79. That was one of the bigger disappointments of my young life...but, that's another story.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:32:21 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Heavy Petting
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »

Let It Roll NSFW

What the actual fuck?!  The funny thing is I probably wouldn't have clicked the link (in my office at work) but for the "NSFW" warning, so thanks for that!  :-)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2020, 12:52:07 PM »
Sorry, Tim, I tried to stay off screens this weekend.  Mission accomplished (mostly!).

I like No Heavy Petting, generally:

Natural Thing:  I have no idea what Mogg is singing about, but feel it might not be for mixed company.  In any event, it's a great song; I love the riff and I think it's one of his better vocals on the record.

I'm A Loser:  I have no idea what Mogg is singing about, but I feel it might be a song that I can identify with.   In any event, it's a great song; I love this in the same way I love Dreaming Of Summer; there's something unstructured about it.  It's like you expect it to go here, then it goes there.  Then, when you expect it to go there, it seems to find it's way back to here.  I find that interesting, and it's one of the things I like about UFO.

Can You Roll Her:  I actually DO have an idea what Mogg is singing about ("Vincent" is a British motorcycle, built during and immediately after the Great War), but this one doesn't register much, though; not big on the arrangement, and coming after "I'm A Loser", it sort of pales.

Belladonna:   Another song that is mesmerizing.  This reminds me so much of Scorpions, who I was into well before UFO.   I like the ending, and I like the vocal in this a lot.

Reasons Love:  Another copped riff (well, Jane's Addiction copped this, for the bass line of Mountain Song), but this time with an INSANE solo.  I love this solo.  I dig this song a lot; it's one of those that are a hidden jem.

Highway Lady:  Fucking GREAT song.  I love everything about this tune.   I love how the solo covers all the bases in one go, then the perfect "boogie woogie" of the keyboards back into the vocals...

On With The Action: I have no idea what Mogg is singing about, but I feel it might be a song that I can identify with.  But this song is all about the guitars.  I love the riff, I love that guitar figure after the first chorus; then a solo that is an almost totally different feel and elevates the song.    Michael tears it up here big time.  I like Mogg's vocal, but the affectation on the chorus is...  wierd, and I'm not sure I get it.

You know, something that never occurred to me:  we have the Maiden thread and there's a lot of discussion about "this is Dave", and "that is Adrian" and there are so many competing styles in there...   As much as I love Blackmore (for one), it's always Blackmore.    Schenker has this odd ability that I'm not sure any other big-time guitar player has (MAYBE Hendrix) to literally sound like two or even three players in one tune.  Not just "tone" but the entire approach.  And yet, it's always HIM.   He's a really underrated player, even with all the accolades he gets, because you never hear him in the same breath as Gilmour, Page, Blackmore, Hendrix, but he's there.

A Fool In Love:  Good tune, not great.

Martian Landscape: I THINK I have an idea what Mogg is singing about (It's a nod to another land; "Martian" may be a metaphor for either home, or Peyronnel's home country Argentina).   I love this song; I love the beautiful harmonies Schenker plays in this.   This may be one of my favorite SCHENKER albums, even if the songs aren't all my favorite.

Rising:  I actually dig side one of Rising, though it's Side Two that makes the record.   LLRnR is the second best Dio era Rainbow record (only hurt by LA Connection and Sensitive To Light) and the debut a distant third.   Then again, I prefer the Joe Lynn Turner era of Rainbow, so what do I know?   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »
I don’t think Mogg knows what he’s singing about most of the time. 😀

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
Can I say, I'm not the hugest Nevison fan; he is responsible for my least favorite Kiss album - Crazy Nights - and I think he kind of butchered Ozzy.  Then again, I LOVE the work he did with Schenker solo, and it's hard to argue with the two Heart records he did. 

Here, I wish Leo Lyons produced the guitars, and Nevison the vocals, if that's possible.  There are times when Schenker sounds almost neutered (Just Another Suicide comes to mind). 

Too Hot To Handle:  I love this song.  I would love to hear it without the chorus-y background vocals. I think this is one of Mogg's better vocals.

Just Another Suicide: I love this song for the playing; I which Michael was a little more... prominent in the mix.  His signature sound doesn't really come out until that solo, but there are some tasty riffs going on in here that I think lose some teeth in the mix.

Try Me:  Is there a song and lyric BETTER suited to Mogg's voice?   I wish there was more guitar and less "strings", but it's not my band or my song.  :)   But I love this vocal, and when the simple, but crystal clear solo comes in, it's perfect. 

Lights Out:  Good song, not great.  Great vocal, though.  I'm pretty sure that even though Harris cites "Love To Love", he's listened to this one a couple times (that gallop...).

Gettin' Ready: Love this song.   Along with "Love To Love", my favorite song on the record.  One of the few times where the subdued sound for Schenker actually works; I love how understated his rhythm playing is here, because when he has to kick it up a notch, he does at that end.  Just those simple chords make the song.   (The intro sounds a little bit like the main riff from "Wheels Of Confusion" by Sabbath.)

Alone Again Or: I don't know what to make of this.  This would have been a great b-side;  you know when someone (me!) says "that song should have been on the album!" I feel like this is what happens.   Maybe a change of pace or a breather, but the band is completely wasted on this (except for Schenker's harmony bit in the middle).  As in, misused, not hammered.  ;)

Electric Phase: I THINK I have an idea what Mogg is singing about, but I may just be a perv.   Another great song; probably the one song where Schenker was not overproduced.  I don't know if it's the dreaded "third song of the second side" (and therefore a throwaway) but it's a great track.  I wish they stuck that abysmal "Alone Again Or" somewhere else, because it ruins an almost perfect album side.    I love how the ending segues into...

Love To Love:   The perfect song, and perhaps my favorite UFO song (or at least top three).  I see the similarity to Desert Song, but I see enough different in the songs to over look it.  I love the keyboards here; wonderful atmosphere. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #285 on: September 08, 2020, 01:56:28 PM »

On With The Action: I have no idea what Mogg is singing about, but I feel it might be a song that I can identify with.  But this song is all about the guitars.  I love the riff, I love that guitar figure after the first chorus; then a solo that is an almost totally different feel and elevates the song.    Michael tears it up here big time.  I like Mogg's vocal, but the affectation on the chorus is...  wierd, and I'm not sure I get it.

Bolded the important point there. Good to see it's not just me. The chorus vocals rub me the wrong way and take me out of it a bit. Almost in an inflection where someone is trying to be funny or doing a parody and being goofy. I don't know, but I'm totally with you on this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: September 08, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »
I'll spin Suicide again Gregg.

Random comment, but the note Shenker decides to end Try Me on is absolutely incredible.

What interval is it?

When I pick up my guitar next I'll work it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »
I first got into UFO in 1982 with No Heavy Petting. I had the first two MSG albums and absolutely loved Schenker. Within 6 months of getting NHP I had purchased all of UFO's catalogue, except for the first two albums (which I have still yet to hear) and Force It. For some reason I did not get Force it until 6 or 7 years later.

For many years I considered NHP to be my favourite UFO album. A few years ago I got the CD box set containing all the studio albums from Phenomenon to Misdemeanour. Last month I listened through the whole box set and concluded that Phenomenon is now my favourite. The production isn’t the greatest, but the songs move me.

Lights Out is my least favourite Schenker-era album. I rather like Alone Again Or, which I see is not getting a lot of love. No pun intended, but that song is a cover...the song was written by the band Love and appears on their Forever Changes album (which is great, btw).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
Besides the three big songs, can't say Lights Out overly impressed me.  Listening to Obsession now.......... :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »
I first got into UFO in 1982 with No Heavy Petting. I had the first two MSG albums and absolutely loved Schenker. Within 6 months of getting NHP I had purchased all of UFO's catalogue, except for the first two albums (which I have still yet to hear) and Force It. For some reason I did not get Force it until 6 or 7 years later.

For many years I considered NHP to be my favourite UFO album. A few years ago I got the CD box set containing all the studio albums from Phenomenon to Misdemeanour. Last month I listened through the whole box set and concluded that Phenomenon is now my favourite. The production isn’t the greatest, but the songs move me.

Lights Out is my least favourite Schenker-era album. I rather like Alone Again Or, which I see is not getting a lot of love. No pun intended, but that song is a cover...the song was written by the band Love and appears on their Forever Changes album (which is great, btw).

Misdemeanor....half filler half KILLER!!!

Zoom, if I remember correctly, you bailed on the Riot thread after Born In America. I am expecting much better participation from you this time around.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
Tim I agree that LO is overrated.  It feels like the 2-3 excellent songs raise the reputation of the rest of the album. Meanwhile, I underestimated NHP for just the opposite reason: the couple of weak tracks work to bring the rest of that album down, even tho it’s pretty dang good.

The LO album cover is another head scratcher!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #291 on: September 08, 2020, 04:51:15 PM »

Bolded the important point there. Good to see it's not just me. The chorus vocals rub me the wrong way and take me out of it a bit. Almost in an inflection where someone is trying to be funny or doing a parody and being goofy. I don't know, but I'm totally with you on this.

It's a legit point. I don't disagree. It seems like they may have missed what they were going for.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: September 08, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
Tim I agree that LO is overrated.  It feels like the 2-3 excellent songs raise the reputation of the rest of the album. Meanwhile, I underestimated NHP for just the opposite reason: the couple of weak tracks work to bring the rest of that album down, even tho it’s pretty dang good.

Yes, very true.

And I'm glad to see the love coming in for NHP. It is my favorite Schenker Era album, and likely my favorite UFO album. I just think Mogg sounds really cool. He has much better control, yet is still vulnerable. But there's still a youthfulness in his vocal.

And Schenker...well, he just rips on the entire album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: September 08, 2020, 04:57:39 PM »
Both UFO and Saxon get reference as two of the most influential metal/rock bands ever.  But besides satellite radio or House of Hair, I've never once heard them on the radio or anybody talk about either expect once for Saxon.  For people that experienced UFO in the 70s or 80s, were they ever considered an A list band or were they always a bit of an underground band with a dedicated following?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #294 on: September 08, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »
Both UFO and Saxon get reference as two of the most influential metal/rock bands ever.  But besides satellite radio or House of Hair, I've never once heard them on the radio or anybody talk about either expect once for Saxon.  For people that experienced UFO in the 70s or 80s, were they ever considered an A list band or were they always a bit of an underground band with a dedicated following?

This is a great point and I was actually wondering the same thing. I can't believe how these guys ever missed my radar. I mean, my Dad has pics of me as a toddler trying to queue up a 45 on his turntable. I have been music obsessed my whole life. I have a huge collection. Somehow, I have always heard of UFO but never heard UFO. I am through Strangers so far and literally the only thing that I even recognized was the chorus of Love To Love. Other than that, nothing rings a bell.

Same with Saxon. I have heard of them but have never heard them either.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: September 08, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »
Yeah both bands have songs that by all accounts should be played on a regular basis on classic rock radio.  I've listened to thousands of hours of classic rock radio, and not once have either UFO or Saxon been mentioned.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: September 08, 2020, 05:11:45 PM »
And Spinal Tap was based on Saxon for crying out loud......................Spinal Tap  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2020, 06:04:57 PM »

This is a great point and I was actually wondering the same thing. I can't believe how these guys ever missed my radar. I mean, my Dad has pics of me as a toddler trying to queue up a 45 on his turntable. I have been music obsessed my whole life. I have a huge collection. Somehow, I have always heard of UFO but never heard UFO. I am through Strangers so far and literally the only thing that I even recognized was the chorus of Love To Love. Other than that, nothing rings a bell.

I hope you're enjoying what you have heard. We have a long way to go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2020, 06:21:04 PM »
In between all this I'm going through the MSG 5 album classic series pack I have.  I guess I'll share thoughts on that if Tim delves into MSG.  Seems like I have a lot of catching up to do with this band also.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »
In between all this I'm going through the MSG 5 album classic series pack I have.  I guess I'll share thoughts on that if Tim delves into MSG.  Seems like I have a lot of catching up to do with this band also.

As a guitarist, Wolf, you can't deny the talent of Nigel Tufnel  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
I will just say without giving much away that Martin Birch was a fucking genius.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2020, 06:23:32 PM »

As a guitarist, Wolf, you can't deny the talent of Nigel Tufnel  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Lol, I guess Spinal Tap is another one I need to catch up on.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »
1) Nigel Tufnel
2a) Wolfster
2b) Brent

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »
I'm A Loser:  I have no idea what Mogg is singing about, but I feel it might be a song that I can identify with.   In any event, it's a great song; I love this in the same way I love Dreaming Of Summer; there's something unstructured about it.  It's like you expect it to go here, then it goes there.  Then, when you expect it to go there, it seems to find it's way back to here.  I find that interesting, and it's one of the things I like about UFO.

I know you love Dreaming Of Summer. So do I. One of my favorite UFO tracks. Phil weaves a fantastic tale. Great background keys  by Paul Raymond, especially in the chorus. And that amazing extremely understated Schenker solo.
I suppose we're getting ahead of ourselves. That's at least two weeks away.

Reasons Love:  Another copped riff (well, Jane's Addiction copped this, for the bass line of Mountain Song), but this time with an INSANE solo.  I love this solo.  I dig this song a lot; it's one of those that are a hidden jem.

I love it. Schenker is ridiculous on it.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2020, 07:56:07 PM »

Misdemeanor....half filler half KILLER!!!

Zoom, if I remember correctly, you bailed on the Riot thread after Born In America. I am expecting much better participation from you this time around.

TAC, you have quite the memory. I’ll do my best to hang with the thread, but I expect my participation ribbon to arrive in the mail.  ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »
Speaking of Schenker, I was out and had my iPod on shuffle and a track came on from his Adventures Of The Imagination instrumental record. I need to give that one a full listen again. I have had it as long as it's been out, I think. It's memorable for the ridiculous names he gave most of the tracks.

Time to rock out to 'Aardvark In A VW Smoking A Cigar'.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2020, 08:21:59 PM »
Speaking of Schenker, I was out and had my iPod on shuffle and a track came on from his Adventures Of The Imagination instrumental record. I need to give that one a full listen again. I have had it as long as it's been out, I think. It's memorable for the ridiculous names he gave most of the tracks.

So I will be covering that album coming up, and will do so for two reasons.

First, it's an amazing album, and
Second, I have a personal story attached to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: September 08, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »
Some pics of the Lights Out US tour with Rush..

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
Did you see Rush with opening act UFO???? Best show ever?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2020, 11:29:50 PM »
I must say, the amount of traffic this thread is getting is highly impressive.  Great to see and makes Tim's efforts well worthwhile.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2020, 11:37:14 PM »
I must say, the amount of traffic this thread is getting is highly impressive.  Great to see and makes Tim's efforts well worthwhile.

Definitely, Tim is doing an awesome job 👍🏻

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #311 on: September 09, 2020, 01:52:16 AM »

Rising:  I actually dig side one of Rising, though it's Side Two that makes the record.   LLRnR is the second best Dio era Rainbow record (only hurt by LA Connection and Sensitive To Light) and the debut a distant third.   Then again, I prefer the Joe Lynn Turner era of Rainbow, so what do I know?

I can see that point of view between those two albums. I do like LA Connection, though. It's not as good as the rest of the album, but it doesn't bring it down for me.

I really like Joe Lynn Turner's voice, and some of the songs from his era are really good. It just feels like it's a different band that has nothing in common with its beginnings. I might be trying to be too much of a purist, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2020, 05:09:53 AM »
I think you guys earlier were a little harsh.  I wouldn't say it's a rip but I totally hear what Tim is hearing with the Love ToLove/Desert Song similarities. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2020, 05:15:29 AM »
Did you see Rush with opening act UFO???? Best show ever?

Not me. My first show was in 1983.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2020, 05:30:17 AM »

So I will be covering that album coming up, and will do so for two reasons.

First, it's an amazing album, and
Second, I have a personal story attached to it.
Strangely, as a huge guitar instrumental fan, and a huge Schenker fan, I've never heard it. Another new one to check out.