Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143139 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Force It
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2020, 02:11:45 PM »

I must say that Rising, as a follow up to the first Rainbow album must have had the complete opposite reaction. Now THAT is going next level. (even though side 1 is useless..)

Sometimes I think of you as a kindred spirit in the music world. Then you say something like this...  :lol

Indeed. And then he got sucked into the growlie world too. :omg:
All of Rising is perfect. See my top 50 thread for details  :biggrin:

Don't you talk Schuldiner lover!

Exaggerated rasp not growls. Big difference 😀😀🤘

The denial is strong here.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
UFO Live at the Roundhouse, London
April 25, 1976
https://youtu.be/-Leyoxallas?t=1

Really cool to hear those live versions! Interesting to see a lot of the songs rearranged for the keyboards (mostly piano/organ) in a way that UFO never played again like this in the future tours (The version of Oh My, with piano and extended guitar solo, fantastic!). But I agree it was better to have a keyboad/guitar player live. And Paul Raymond added a lot more different keyboard sounds to the songs, which it was even cooler.
Nothing to do with the commentary above, but, c'mon guys, show more love for Natural Thing, it's an instant/incredible classic! :metal :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:56:46 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Heavy Petting
« Reply #247 on: September 07, 2020, 07:21:10 AM »
I'm A Loser is a Top 3 UFO track for me.

Naturally.  :biggrin:

Before we move on, I will say that I've become fond of Natural Thing, and I'm a Loser (perhaps for obvious reasons, *cough*strangers*cough*). I've always loved the east-end street tough imagery of On With the Action, as well as the music itself. The plodding riff with Schenker's vintage tone is luscious, in spite of the 'plastic toy megaphone production' (I kid, I kid). I'll have one more listen today, then it will be time for an ear cleansing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Heavy Petting
« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2020, 08:03:03 AM »
I'm A Loser is a Top 3 UFO track for me.

Naturally.  :biggrin:

I should’ve know that was coming.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2020, 08:25:28 AM »
Okay, I don't know if it was me getting my complaints off my chest, or the 2007 remaster on Spotify, but I really enjoyed my final listen this morning. So much so, that I bought that version of NHP from Amazon to add to my music collection (previously I just had the rip of my old LP that I made before giving my vinyls away some decades ago).

Tim what do you think of the bonus music on this release?

All or Nothing
French Kisses
Have You seen Me Lately Joan
Tonight Tonight
All the Strings
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »

I must say that Rising, as a follow up to the first Rainbow album must have had the complete opposite reaction. Now THAT is going next level. (even though side 1 is useless..)

Sometimes I think of you as a kindred spirit in the music world. Then you say something like this...  :lol

Indeed. And then he got sucked into the growlie world too. :omg:
All of Rising is perfect. See my top 50 thread for details  :biggrin:

Don't you talk Schuldiner lover!

Exaggerated rasp not growls. Big difference 😀😀🤘

The denial is strong here.  ;D

;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
All or Nothing
French Kisses
Have You seen Me Lately Joan
Tonight Tonight
All the Strings

All Or Nothing- I'm probably way more used to the live versions of this song, but this studio version sounds really tepid.

French Kisses-Musically this is excellent. The lyrics blow, but I'd still rather have this than A Fool In Love.

HYSMLJ....WTF??

Tonight Tonight-really decent song that is miles better than A Fool In Love

All The Strings....yawn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2020, 02:42:40 PM »
I got a new shirt!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
That's actually a really outstanding shirt. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2020, 03:04:41 PM »
Nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »
Okay, I don't know if it was me getting my complaints off my chest, or the 2007 remaster on Spotify, but I really enjoyed my final listen this morning. So much so, that I bought that version of NHP from Amazon to add to my music collection (previously I just had the rip of my old LP that I made before giving my vinyls away some decades ago).

:lol

Mission accomplished!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »
Lights Out

Lights Out (1977)

Released May 7, 1977

1. Too Hot To Handle
2. Just Another Suicide
3. Try Me
4. Lights Out
5. Gettin' Ready
6. Alone Again Or
7. Electric Phase
8. Love To Love

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Michael Schenker-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Paul Raymond-Keyboards/ Guitar

Chrysalis, eager to break the US market paired the band with American producer Ron Nevison. They would also replace Danny Peyronel with Savoy Brown keyboardist/guitarist Paul Raymond.

Lights Out is a far more polished effort than the previous albums. Nevison brought in Allan MacMillan to do the string arrangements, as he had done on Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare and Goes To Hell albums.
Lights Out ended up doing very well in the US, however, on the eve of the US tour, Michael Schenker went AWOL. He explains it as the stardom really freaked him out. Old friend Paul Chapman would come in and start the tour, with Schenker eventually rejoining the tour a few weeks in.

There is very little video from 1977, but there are 3 songs from the the Roundhouse in London.

Too Hot To Handle

Lights Out
(the audio seems legit, but the video is a montage of footage, some from 1976)

Let It Roll NSFW

UFO
Roundhouse, London
April 2, 1977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRBmmfSE_Ws&t=65s

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Lights Out
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
That’s interesting that Schenker bailed the night before the tour started. Sounds like between previous albums not be available for fans to buy and then touring issues, there always seemed to be some hang up that prevented break through success for the band.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
Love to Love is my favorite classic era UFO song, and really reminds me a lot of a song that would come many years later on the first reunion era album.

Too Hot to Handle and Lights Out seem to be the classics that I'm guessing most people would recognize. Just Another Suicide and Electric Phase are really strong tracks, and the rest of the songs seem to be rather middling to me.

As far as strength of production goes, this is the best sounding studio album from the classic era to my ears.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »
I love this album, the Ron Nevison’s production is awesome which highlight the quality of the songs. But I have 2 minor complaints about this album: although a good opener, Too Hot to Handle isn’t as good as Let it Roll or Natural Thing and Alone Again, although very good, it’s very similar to the original recording, only a bit more “flamenco-ish”. Just Another Suicide and Gettin’ Read also are very good, Electric Phase is excellent and Try Me, Lights Out and Love to Love are perfects.

Ranking:
? (my favorite)/? - 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT - 9,5
?/?/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/?/? – 8,5
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:58:38 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2020, 06:18:32 PM »
I'm not going to tell you I don't like Lights Out, because I do. I've had so many great listens to this album. I just think it's a tad overrated in general.

Obviously Love To Love is amazing. Top shelf UFO track across all eras. And the title track is fantastic as well.

I remember when I was high school, I brought this album in, and played Just Another Suicide in my religion class. Don't remember exactly what the subject matter was, but it must've been relevant.

I've never thought Too Hot To Handle was all that special. In fact, it's not until Paul Chapman plays it live that it really comes alive. And that's not the only Schenker Era song that I prefer with Chapman.

Also, the Love To Love main riff gets recycled in an upcoming MSG track. Anyone know?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »
Too Hot to Handle, Love to Love and especially Lights Out are awesome. Listening to the other five tracks, none of them are really grabbing me on first listen. Still good, but a tad bland. But those three tracks are classic

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2020, 06:40:27 PM »

Also, the Love To Love main riff gets recycled in an upcoming MSG track. Anyone know?

I know what song you're referring to, and I've heard other people make the same claim. Let's just say that I vehemently disagree. I understand why some people believe this because each one uses third intervals instead of perfect fifths. However, that's where the similarities begin to diverge. The phrasing is different etc. etc...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2020, 06:56:44 PM »

I know what song you're referring to, and I've heard other people make the same claim. Let's just say that I vehemently disagree. I understand why some people believe this because each one uses third intervals instead of perfect fifths. However, that's where the similarities begin to diverge. The phrasing is different etc. etc...

Don't get all technical on me! :lol :lol

It sounds just like it! ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2020, 11:54:25 PM »

Don't get all technical on me! :lol :lol

It sounds just like it! ;D

Tell me the song and I can try and break it down even more technically if you like?  ;D

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2020, 01:25:38 AM »
The song that he's referring to is Desert Song from Assault Attack. I learned how to play DS several years ago and if someone had a gun to my head I could probably play it again without practice. It's in E minor and has a flat 7th (C#) in the chorus.

The main riff uses 3rds in stead of 5ths (power chords).

I've never learned how to play Love to Love, but from using my ear I don't think that it's the same riff. There might be a lot of similarities, though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2020, 02:22:38 AM »
The song that he's referring to is Desert Song from Assault Attack. I learned how to play DS several years ago and if someone had a gun to my head I could probably play it again without practice. It's in E minor and has a flat 7th (C#) in the chorus.

I've never learned how to play Love to Love, but from using my ear I don't think that it's the same riff. There might be a lot of similarities, though.

Love both songs, heard them literally hundreds of times and never noticed. That's why my guitar playing sucks!

Listening to both now and it's certainly a similar feel, if not the same chords.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:04:12 AM by Lowdz »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2020, 03:35:27 AM »
Lights Out is the best sounding album of the classic era - Phil's phrasing is excellent throughout.
Probably th emost consistent of them too.
Love To Love is awesome and I really love Too Hot. It's one of their (many) classic songs for me. Well, it's on STrangers so it has to be.

On a side note and ahead of schedule, why am I only just finding out there was a dvd of MSG's Rock Will Never Die live album? I'd have been all over that! Needs a re-release on dvd. I've always loved that album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2020, 03:39:29 AM »
Apparently Love To Love is Steve Harris' favourite song ever. It is a great one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2020, 05:24:11 AM »

Listening over the last week, I haven't tried to play anything yet but it's so prominent just from listening that Schenker loves using the Dorian mode.  Uses it all the time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2020, 05:41:18 AM »
Apparently Love To Love is Steve Harris' favourite song ever. It is a great one.

Apparently Zydar needs to participate more in the thread.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2020, 05:45:59 AM »
As I mentioned, I've always been a casual UFO fan but drifted towards the Vinnie stuff.  I own however Phenomenon, LO, Obsession and Strangers.  I don't remember where I bought them, how much or the reasons behind buying them.  I think it was when I was trying to get into them, but I also had a CD buying addiction.

Lights Out is the only one I remember giving a good go.  Not sure why again.  There wasn't much in Lights Out that I took to.  Listening again, I share the same feelings and can see why I moved on so quick on old school UFO back in the day.

The only one I liked back in the day was Love to Love.  That song is magic.  The whole album back then I think wasn't heavy enough like Priest and Sabbath were offering me.  However now, I just think it's weaker than the last 3.

The opener is too Foreigner Hot Blooded type rock which I'm not keen on.  Suicide is just okay.  Try Me I think listening now is fucking amazing.  What a song.  Lights Out is better than I remember but I never cared for the chorus.  Shenker rips though.  The next 3 are just meh.

So, yeah I find this on a whole very underwhelming compared to the last 3.  There's something missing there for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2020, 05:48:50 AM »
Foreigner is a good comparison That's kind of what they were going for with this album. Chrysalis tabbed Nevison because of what he did with Bad Company.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2020, 05:52:33 AM »
Foreigner is a good comparison That's kind of what they were going for with this album. Chrysalis tabbed Nevison because of what he did with Bad Company.

There just seems to be less edge on this album.  Maybe they were writing somewhat more contemporary, I don't know.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2020, 05:54:04 AM »
I've had an on-again-off-again relationship with the album Lights Out. During all the years, the one constant has been my abiding adoration for Another Suicide, Lights Out (the song), Electric Phase, and Love to Love...oh, and the sound of this record is silky.

The rest are great, I find the main riff for THtH pretty creative, Mogg performance on Try Me is awesome (the underlying music ain't too shabby either), Gettin' Ready is way more than a basic rocker and again shows the creativity of the band. Yet there have been times in my life where I would skip almost all of those songs. I'm not sure why.

Alone Again Or is pretty faithful to the original tune and is performed and recorded well, but I've always thought it's inclusion on this album as being strange. I'd like to know if it was the bands or the producers idea. I think I'd respect it more if I knew that it was Mogg's or Way's favorite song, or something.

There aren't many songs, by anyone, that I listen to in preference to Just Another Suicide. I hesitate to call it my favorite song ever, but if it's not it's certainly my favorite UFO song, ever.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2020, 06:01:42 AM »
I'll spin Suicide again Gregg.

Random comment, but the note Shenker decides to end Try Me on is absolutely incredible.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2020, 06:04:02 AM »
I seriously doubt Foreigner was on their radar, gents. I can guarantee you, UFO was a way bigger deal than Foreigner at the time they were writing and recording this record. Yeah, by the next year, Foreigner had two gold records on their hands and were huge, but it's still a stretch...and if anything, it's more likely that Mick Jones was influenced by listening to Lights Out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2020, 06:20:11 AM »
I seriously doubt Foreigner was on their radar, gents. I can guarantee you, UFO was a way bigger deal than Foreigner at the time they were writing and recording this record. Yeah, by the next year, Foreigner had two gold records on their hands and were huge, but it's still a stretch...and if anything, it's more likely that Mick Jones was influenced by listening to Lights Out.

Good enough Gregg. But it was those Gold Records they were looking at for sure. Yeah, you're right. Lights Out preceded Foreigner. My quick comment this morning was basically that UFO was looking for a hit.

Random comment, but the note Shenker decides to end Try Me on is absolutely incredible.

There's a live version of Try Me (and On With The Action) in the concert I linked.

There aren't many songs, by anyone, that I listen to in preference to Just Another Suicide. I hesitate to call it my favorite song ever, but if it's not it's certainly my favorite UFO song, ever.

Wow, that's really interesting.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2020, 06:36:55 AM »
I'll spin Suicide again Gregg.

What interval is it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2020, 07:06:01 AM »
Gregg, with your disappointment of NHP, was Lights Out an automatic buy? Did you hear a single on the radio first and then decide?
Do you attend any shows during the 70’s?