Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143043 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Heavy Petting
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »
Another thing I'd add, while Mogg certainly has his moments, many of his lyrics are hidden gems.  I think I've said to myself "wow, that's an interesting lyric" more with UFO than any similar band of the 70's and 80's.

I've always found them really interesting. I've read a number of interviews over the many years where other members of the band are like, WTF is he talking about? :lol

Stadler, I'd be curious of your thoughts on this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Heavy Petting
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »
Two more things from me on this album, and I'm just keeping it real.

I find Natural Thing extremely average. Even below average for this band.

A Fool In Love is barely B side material. As is A Fool For Love, but that's a few weeks away..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2020, 08:20:36 PM »
I'll try to find the source for it, but I'm pretty sure McCready is a BIG UFO fan.

EDIT:  That was easy: https://twitter.com/MikeMcCreadyPJ/status/1294395837032751105?s=20

McCready has been in a side UFO tribute band for almost 20 years.  I guess he's a fan.  ;)

I will say, my musical ear is not too bad.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2020, 08:21:10 PM »
I'll spin this album again before moving on.  Mainly for Action, but there's probably a lot I missed that I want to go back to.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
I'm liking everything I've heard from No Heavy Petting so far.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2020, 08:26:26 PM »
I'm liking everything I've heard from No Heavy Petting so far.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
Another thing I'd add, while Mogg certainly has his moments, many of his lyrics are hidden gems.  I think I've said to myself "wow, that's an interesting lyric" more with UFO than any similar band of the 70's and 80's.

Absolutely and that’s one of the things that hooked me on this band. Yes, the songs may be about barroom/street brawls and groupies but the way Mogg tells these stories is fascinating. The lyrics are way out there in a wonderful way. And he just offers snippets of the story, leaving space for the imagination to work to the point where you’re wondering WTF is he really singing about. Love it. It’s different from Phil Lynott, where there’s almost no question what his songs are going for.

I gave NHP another listen and maybe I was too harsh in my assessment. Yes those couple of tracks TAC mentioned are weak/subpar, but the rest is excellent. Schenker blisters of course. The keyboard parts in Loser are brilliant.  And Mogg sings about the Martian Landscape with all the sentimentality that Ian Anderson pines for the pastoral life in Heavy Horses.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:43:36 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2020, 04:15:09 AM »
On With the Action is fucking amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2020, 05:47:42 AM »
The keyboard parts in Loser are brilliant. 

I agree. Yes Paul Raymond gets all of the accolades, but Danny Peyronel really helped shape so many of the keyboard parts on these early classics. A sneaky important member of the band given his short time in the band.

I'm A Loser is a Top 3 UFO track for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2020, 06:27:18 AM »
On With the Action is fucking amazing.

What a standout song  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2020, 07:11:27 AM »
Loved my listen to this at work the other day. As I alluded to in an earlier post, so many great songs I’ve overlooked in the past because they weren’t on the best of or SITN. I own all these albums but haven’t returned to them in years.

I always wondered if Phil’s lyrics were too British for a foreign audience, but it seems not. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Force It
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »
Podaar is going to give me a paddling over this one too.

Nah, I freely admit my problem with this album is personal. With that in mind, I’m going to preface my thoughts about this album by setting the scene of 1976 in music. So, boring fogey story warning:

For Christmas of ’75, my favorite present was A Night at the Opera. I was spellbound by the vocals, creativity, storytelling, and some of the darker moments. Then 1976 came and it was like a dam broke on dynamic, lush, platinum produced, rock albums. 2112, Boston, Dreamboat Annie, Rising, Leftoverature, Agents of Fortune, Chicago X, Hotel California, Frampton Comes Alive, Presence…and, I’m sure, a myriad of albums that I didn’t buy.

In the middle of all this quality, the band I’d been looking forward to the most, my discovery, the band that had given me music cred with my buddies a few years before (keep in mind that I still wasn’t shaving regularly at this point so stature among my peers was everything [see also, Indiscipline’s Scenes From His Memory thread]), I eagerly pluck No Heavy Petting off the rack at the record store and jet home with my treasure.

My buddy Stan came over for the inaugural listen. What we heard was a thin, harsh, album that sounded like it was recorded in the men’s toilet at the Greyhound station. Worse, the songs sounded like an inexperienced band trying to be UFO. Where was the edge? Where was the quintessential Britishness? Why was Schenker trying to get into slide guitar? What’s with the Nashville rock of Highway Lady? I remember halfway through Belladonna, Stan started laughing with disbelief. Finally when Reasons Love came on, we both looked at each other with a smile thinking, “Here we go, finally a Schenker riff you can sink your teeth into”, but then it just repeated over and over until it got boring…and that solo. What the fuck? Where was the liquid midrange tone of his guitar? It was all squashed down into a trebley mess. Where was the melodic note selections? Where was his lush string bends? This was just an athletic exercise in seeing how many notes can be played in a minute.

I think you get the idea. I don’t need to belabor it more than that. We were disappointed to say the least. I maybe had a few more listens before the album got relegated to, ‘That UFO album that has On With the Action.’ It got pushed to the bottom of the pile and promptly forgotten. I honestly don’t think I listened to it again for a few years. Even now, when I try to give it an honest go (like yesterday), I end up feeling dissatisfied every time.

So, if you want to know why I don’t like this album, listen to A Night at the Opera, Boston, Leftoverature, 2112, Rising, then No Heavy Petting. Then, listen to Lights Out!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2020, 10:26:36 AM »
I enjoyed the read Gregg I remember you making the point before of going from Force It to NHP in real time and being disappointed.
It’s a perspective I appreciate. Sometimes it’s a whole different ballgame going back in time on albums. Kind of like going from I&W and Awake to FII, and not understanding how a new listener would choose FII.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
And I’m throwing it out there but Lights Out is way overrated.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2020, 02:47:44 PM »

I never cared for the song itself.

I think that is one of their songs I knew yet never really liked and therefore made me not really check the earlier stuff perhaps.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: September 05, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
I'm A Loser is a Top 3 UFO track for me.

Huh, interesting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2020, 03:14:55 PM »

I never cared for the song itself.

I think that is one of their songs I knew yet never really liked and therefore made me not really check the earlier stuff perhaps.

Oh the song is fine. I just think the album is overrated.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: September 05, 2020, 03:16:45 PM »

Love this song.  Fifth Angel does a great cover too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »

I like the song too, but I was talking about the album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2020, 04:10:10 PM »

I like the song too, but I was talking about the album.

I was always under the impression that Lights Out, the album, is considered UFO'S defining moment.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
I never liked that cover right in the middle of a great album.  But that's a different story.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »
Podaar is going to give me a paddling over this one too.

Nah, I freely admit my problem with this album is personal. With that in mind, I’m going to preface my thoughts about this album by setting the scene of 1976 in music. So, boring fogey story warning:

For Christmas of ’75, my favorite present was A Night at the Opera. I was spellbound by the vocals, creativity, storytelling, and some of the darker moments. Then 1976 came and it was like a dam broke on dynamic, lush, platinum produced, rock albums. 2112, Boston, Dreamboat Annie, Rising, Leftoverature, Agents of Fortune, Chicago X, Hotel California, Frampton Comes Alive, Presence…and, I’m sure, a myriad of albums that I didn’t buy.

In the middle of all this quality, the band I’d been looking forward to the most, my discovery, the band that had given me music cred with my buddies a few years before (keep in mind that I still wasn’t shaving regularly at this point so stature among my peers was everything [see also, Indiscipline’s Scenes From His Memory thread]), I eagerly pluck No Heavy Petting off the rack at the record store and jet home with my treasure.

My buddy Stan came over for the inaugural listen. What we heard was a thin, harsh, album that sounded like it was recorded in the men’s toilet at the Greyhound station. Worse, the songs sounded like an inexperienced band trying to be UFO. Where was the edge? Where was the quintessential Britishness? Why was Schenker trying to get into slide guitar? What’s with the Nashville rock of Highway Lady? I remember halfway through Belladonna, Stan started laughing with disbelief. Finally when Reasons Love came on, we both looked at each other with a smile thinking, “Here we go, finally a Schenker riff you can sink your teeth into”, but then it just repeated over and over until it got boring…and that solo. What the fuck? Where was the liquid midrange tone of his guitar? It was all squashed down into a trebley mess. Where was the melodic note selections? Where was his lush string bends? This was just an athletic exercise in seeing how many notes can be played in a minute.

I think you get the idea. I don’t need to belabor it more than that. We were disappointed to say the least. I maybe had a few more listens before the album got relegated to, ‘That UFO album that has On With the Action.’ It got pushed to the bottom of the pile and promptly forgotten. I honestly don’t think I listened to it again for a few years. Even now, when I try to give it an honest go (like yesterday), I end up feeling dissatisfied every time.

So, if you want to know why I don’t like this album, listen to A Night at the Opera, Boston, Leftoverature, 2112, Rising, then No Heavy Petting. Then, listen to Lights Out!

I can appreciate the many great albums of 75-76. And I know that disappointing first impressions, especially when you were looking so forward to something that no way near met expectations..sometimes those feelings can last forever. I can totally understand your sentiment here.

But if you weren't happy with NHP, how in the hell would you ever reconcile Lights Out? Don't answer that...yet.

I must say that Rising, as a follow up to the first Rainbow album must have had the complete opposite reaction. Now THAT is going next level. (even though side 1 is useless..)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2020, 09:53:05 PM »

I must say that Rising, as a follow up to the first Rainbow album must have had the complete opposite reaction. Now THAT is going next level. (even though side 1 is useless..)

Sometimes I think of you as a kindred spirit in the music world. Then you say something like this...  :lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2020, 05:13:23 AM »

Sometimes I think of you as a kindred spirit in the music world. Then you say something like this...  :lol

Indeed. And then he got sucked into the growlie world too. :omg:
All of Rising is perfect. See my top 50 thread for details  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2020, 05:24:11 AM »

Don't you talk Schuldiner lover!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: September 06, 2020, 05:32:04 AM »
Doing a bit of listening ahead and I think I have an idea why I never really got into old UFO.  I think I have an answer why I never explored the older stuff and somewhat moved more to the Vinnie era if I ever did listen to something from UFO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #236 on: September 06, 2020, 05:49:16 AM »
Doing a bit of listening ahead and I think I have an idea why I never really got into old UFO.  I think I have an answer why I never explored the older stuff and somewhat moved more to the Vinnie era if I ever did listen to something from UFO.

Ahead as in Lights Out, or post Schenker?

As a guitar player, it's clear you gravitate to the virtuostic playing. I do worry about you drifting a bit once Schenker leaves, because I think Chapman's lead playing will not likely satisfy you. And I can also see why you'd be interested in Vinnie.

That said, once Schenker ultimately leaves, there's a tremendous amount of great music to come. It can be a bit of a minefield here and there, but you'll just have to trust your humble guide. ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: September 06, 2020, 05:56:15 AM »

I like Starstruck well enough, and Tarot Woman is passable. But to me, Rising is all about Side 2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2020, 06:08:14 AM »

Ahead as in Lights Out, or post Schenker?

As a guitar player, it's clear you gravitate to the virtuostic playing. I do worry about you drifting a bit once Schenker leaves, because I think Chapman's lead playing will not likely satisfy you. And I can also see why you'd be interested in Vinnie.

That said, once Schenker ultimately leaves, there's a tremendous amount of great music to come. It can be a bit of a minefield here and there, but you'll just have to trust your humble guide. ;D

Talking Lights Out mate.

I'll a listen a couple more times when we get to it and will post more thorough thoughts.

I'm pretty invested in this one mate and won't drift out.  Looking forward to the rest of the Schenker era and what was in between Shenker and Moore.  To be honest, I thought Shenker played on a lot more albums than he did.  Was so out of touch I didn't even know they had a guitar player in between for so damn long.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2020, 06:11:26 AM »
Well Schenker does return for three albums in the late 90's/early 00's.

I already sent you the George Bellas album, and Lawrence Archer fucking rips another album too! :metal

Plus, we're also going to cover Schenker's solo albums as well..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 06:16:34 AM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2020, 06:25:54 AM »
Well Schenker does return for three albums in the late 90's/early 00's.

I already sent you the George Bellas album, and Lawrence Archer fucking rips another album too! :metal

Plus, we're also going to cover Schenker's solo albums as well..

Yeah cool.  That Mogg/Way album was tasty and will rip into that again.

I have that 5cd MSG set that I bought a couple years ago when you pimped him to me the first time.  Need to listen to all of them but Assault Attack was easily the best of that set.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2020, 06:33:59 AM »
Well Assault Attack is one of the best sounding albums ever.
It is produced by Martin Birch, after all.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »

Don't you talk Schuldiner lover!

Exaggerated rasp not growls. Big difference 😀😀🤘

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2020, 12:29:01 PM »

I like Starstruck well enough, and Tarot Woman is passable. But to me, Rising is all about Side 2.

It's all good. For me Tarot Woman is the 2nd best song on the album, but I could understand why others might prefer ALintB. My true "controversial opinion" of the Dio era Rainbow albums is that Long Live Rock 'N Roll is better than the first two combined. I doubt that very many people would agree with me, but different songs speak to different people in different ways. Thank gawd for that!

Having said all of that, I probably hold Lights Out in higher regard than you as well, but I plan on giving the four albums a couple of more play-throughs before I cement that decision. I do prefer the first two reunion albums over the classic era albums by a long shot, and I doubt that I'll ever change my opinion on that in the future. Time can only tell, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2020, 12:44:17 PM »
I think if Side 1 of Rising was...

Kill The King
Long Live Rock And Roll
Gates Of Babylon
Rainbow Eyes

...then we'd be onto something!

Walk On Water is amazing. As is Covenant.