Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 140833 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Force It
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »
I’m listening to Force It better today and I think it deserves more praising than I thought previously. After all, the highs of the album are truly impressive which makes it a really excellent album!

Just for the sake of coherence, and in terms of comparasion within their discography, I made this ranking, with grades. So far (without spoiling the album’s discussion):

? (my favourite)/? - 10+/10
FORCE IT/?/? - 9,5
?/?/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/?/? – 8,5

Others

TAC, I’m having much fun revisiting UFO’s discography because of this thread, thank’s!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:30:01 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2020, 01:02:13 PM »
UFO- No Heavy Petting  :metal :metal

I actually really like these album covers.  It's the same as the Riot ones; you just like them because they are so silly.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »
"On With the Action" is so catchy

Offline devieira73

« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2020, 01:25:46 PM »
I like a lot the Phenomenon's cover and Force It's cover, although this one is a little unsettling... but it has impact and those black/white/silver tones work great!
But No Heavy Petting's cover I find just plain (a bit) disgusting... but also leaves a impression, which always is an interesting quality.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2020, 01:31:13 PM »
For TAC, this thread must be like inviting all your buddies over for your favorite 10 course meal and everyone keeps going into the kitchen to help themselves to the next or several courses ahead.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2020, 01:36:10 PM »
For TAC, this thread must be like inviting all your buddies over for your favorite 10 course meal and everyone keeps going into the kitchen to help themselves to the next or several courses ahead.

:lol I figure if you talk about the current album, or the one before or the one after, that's acceptable.  I just like to look ahead at what's coming up.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
And I don't think Tim will get upset that everyone is listening ahead or different albums of UFO.  That's the purpose.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »

Hah!

Well, that's why I put all of the albums in the OP. There's a lot of ground to cover so I hope people are a little ahead so we can move things along.

Still trying to figure what is a good pace. Every other day seems quick, but I don't want to drag either.

And I don't think Tim will get upset that everyone is listening ahead or different albums of UFO.  That's the purpose.

Zaccaly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2020, 01:59:19 PM »
So here's my plan. Going to post No Heavy Petting in a little bit. That will give everyone the weekend to jump on that, catch up, maybe give these first few albums a relisten, before moving on. The Leo Lyons Era will soon becoming to a close.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »
Tim, I'm going to get in trouble here.  I had a Queen friend from Tennessee who sent me five or six cdrs of UFO about six years ago after I had surgery.  I listened to them then, I've listened to a few since this thread started.

I am 'not getting it'. Is it because I didn't hear them in my youth, my later 'rock' era, or....because I'm just too old to appreciate them and find them 'simple'?

Please don't castigate, just trying to be honest.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
Tim, I'm going to get in trouble here.  I had a Queen friend from Tennessee who sent me five or six cdrs of UFO about six years ago after I had surgery.  I listened to them then, I've listened to a few since this thread started.

I am 'not getting it'. Is it because I didn't hear them in my youth, my later 'rock' era, or....because I'm just too old to appreciate them and find them 'simple'?

I don't "get" Queen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »
 :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2020, 03:19:13 PM »
No Heavy Petting

No Heavy Petting (1976)

Released May 1976

1. Natural Thing
2. I'm A Loser
3. Can You Roll Her
4. Belladonna
5. Reasons Love
6. Highway Lady
7. On With The Action
8. A Fool In Love
9. Martian Landscape

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Michael Schenker-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Danny Peyronel-Keyboards

For 1976's No Heavy Petting, UFO would again use Leo Lyons as producer. This would be the first (and only) album with keyboardist Danny Peyronel. In fact he wrote Highway Lady and co-wrote Can You Roll Her, the two singles from the album. I actually really like Peyronel's performance on this album.

After being somewhat surprised by Force It's success in the US, Chrysalis had high hopes for No Heavy Petting. Chrysalis would actually end up shooting themselves in the foot, as they changes US distributors, and apparently, there were major issues with the albums initial shipping. The band talks about playing great shows, but the fans couldn't buy the album.

And folks, No Heavy Petting is my favorite UFO album.

UFO Live at the Roundhouse, London
April 25, 1976
https://youtu.be/-Leyoxallas?t=1
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 05:19:46 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Heavy Petting
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »
Catching up on Foce It;

Let It Roll:  Gotta love that riff.  Kicks things off perfectly.  You can tell right away Phil
s voiced has matured and he's found more his style.  Love the long 1:30 instrumental section too.  Always welcome.  Love the key changes within the song too.

Shoot Shoot:  Reminds me a lot of the later Vinnie Moore stuff actually.  Pretty standard this one.  Schenkers solo reminds me of that Oh My Guthrie Govan style, nice and busy.  Cool riffs, solid enough song.

High Flyer: Nice atmosphere on this one.  The solo though is fucking magic.  The way the solo climbs is excellent.  This solo brough Kai Hansen to mind actually.  Can hear a lot of Schenker is his playing too now.  Schenkers note selection and phrasing on this one is just wonderful.

Love Lost Love: This one was okay.  Didn't blow me away however.  Schenker plays the major key really well though.  I find some guitarists get a bit boxed in when soloing in a major key and don't have the ideas they would have in a minor but Schenker is a natural.  The chorus is cool and fun.

Out In the Street: This one takes a bit to get going for me. Wasn't sure at first.  The chorus is very good however.  It has a nice nostalgic atmosphere though.  Schenker soloing in the major key again too.  That change into the minor key when it gets heavier is really nice.

Mother Mary:  Nice groovy one this one.  Very cool riffing in this one.  This one gives me that old school Sabbath vibe.  Reminds me of The Wizard or something perhaps.  like how there's two solos too.  What Shenker does at 3:07 is brilliant.

Too Much of Nothing: A bit darker this one, which I like.  I love the chorus too.  I really like the backing vocals also.  That mid quiet section from Shenker is so good, but I kind of wish it kept building up into a long solo Rock Bottom style.  Just feel they could have done something more with that.

Dance Your Life Away: Another typical song this one.  Not much to say.  I like the bass in this one, very cool.  Shenker fucking rips on this one though, love it.  Takes it to another level.

This Kid's:  That intro actually reminds me a lot of Maiden.  Actually think Steve Harris might have copied this for something from one of his British Lion songs.  Fucking love that breakdown at the 2 minute mark, oh yeah!  Shenker tears it up here too.  This one is epic.  Love the structure and didn't expect another instrumental section to close it out.  Beautiful outro.

This was a nice album but I actually think I prefer Phenomenon, but it's close.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: No Heavy Petting
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
Great post Kade. Can't argue with any of that. An interesting thought about extending the middle section of Too Much Of Nothing. I've never thought about that, but that actually would be cool.

You mention 3:07 of Mother Mary. Yeah, that's the spot where that solo goes from 50 to 100 in an instant, yet he comes out of it so damn clean.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2020, 04:43:53 PM »

Favorite album?! Cool to know! It is excellent, but it’s an interesting choice/taste, because the band clearly was still growing musically. Danny was indeed an excellent adition to UFO, with that very cool rock ‘n’ roll piano in a lot of the songs and participating as a writer in 3 of 9 songs. It has less classics than Force It, but the overall level of the songs is even more consistent. Natural Thing is maybe my favorite Schenker’s riff. Also love I’m a Loser, Can You Roll Her, Bella Donna and One with the Action.
Ranking:
? (my favorite)/? - 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/? - 9,5
?/?/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/?/? – 8,5
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:21:29 PM by devieira73 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »
Great post Kade. Can't argue with any of that. An interesting thought about extending the middle section of Too Much Of Nothing. I've never thought about that, but that actually would be cool.

Yeah.  On my second listen what they did works a lot better than I thought it did the first time but Shenker could have gone into something really epic.  I guess it's just the dark tones of the mid section is really my style and I wanted more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »

Favorite album?! Cool to know! It is excellent, but it’s an interesting choice/taste, because the band clearly was still growing musically.

Yes, it's neck and neck with a non Schenker album. I'll have more to say about how and why I feel about NHP tonight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »
Tim, what do you think about these album covers?  Dumb but cool right?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »
Tim, what do you think about these album covers?  Dumb but cool right?

I like the covers. Obviously I spent a lot of hours looking at them. They're a little weird for sure. I do like the NHP one.
The only one I don't really care for is Light Out. A little too um... how do I say this...gay? (not that there's anything wrong with that) ;D

My favorite album cover of theirs is actually No Place To Run.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 05:11:19 PM by TAC »

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »

When TAC introduced me to UFO 10 some years ago, I felt the same way. Coming from a world of Jethro Tull Yes genesis, I felt like UFO was simple. But I’ve grown to appreciate the band in the same way I appreciate comfort food. Nothin fancy but good to the core. Schencker’s playing is spontaneous and combustible the same way Page and Blackmore’s playing is.  The notes just seem to explode off the fretboard. And that Way/Parker rhythm section is tight as f**k.

That said, No Heavy Petting might be TACs favorite, but it’s one of their weaker albums IMO. Force It blows it away. And the albums to come are better too. I’m a Loser is iconic though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:05:33 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »
No Heavy Petting is kicking ass  :metal

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2020, 05:59:17 PM »
Had to grab my magnifying glass.  This is for you, TAC  :D    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDI3jo9ei3o
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »

That's a paddling.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2020, 06:41:04 PM »
THIS is a paddling. :lol

That said, No Heavy Petting might be TACs favorite, but it’s one of their weaker albums IMO. Force It blows it away. And the albums to come are better too.

Podaar is going to give me a paddling over this one too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »
Tim, I'm going to get in trouble here. 

When TAC introduced me to UFO 10 some years ago, I felt the same way. Coming from a world of Jethro Tull Yes genesis, I felt like UFO was simple. But I’ve grown to appreciate the band in the same way I appreciate comfort food. Nothin fancy but good to the core.

It's always a kind of crapshoot with these things, right? I mean, people have spent their whole lives listening to bands like Bad Company, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult. For me, that band is UFO.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2020, 06:59:59 PM »
It IS a crapshoot. But I think part of it comes from the fact I’m about 10 years older than you. Your UFO thin lizzy scorpions is to my led zep Jethro Tull Pink Floyd. Our youth and teen years are indelible when it comes to forging our musical lives and DNA.

But it’s never too late to discover the best of newer music. Dream theater is what brings it all together here. UFO thin Lizzy and Alice In Chains are bands that I missed out on for one stupid reason or another but am just now rediscovering.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
Natural Thing is a great rocker to kick things off.  Great opener.

Loser is a bit weird but I warmed to it by the end.  This actually reminds me of Pearl Jam in parts.

Can You Roll Her blisters, love it and Schenker kills on this.

I liked Belladonna and lol the Maiden vibe is strong here in that riff.  Love the subtle Schenker solo too.

Reasons Love has an awesome riff.  Great driving tempo this one, and love Shenkers tone here.  This has early Dave Murray written all over it.

Highway Lady is a bit different.  Very British and a bit punky.  I actually hear a lot of Pearl Jam in this too.  The 'in my arms' line is so Eddie Vedder. I wonder if they were an influence.  I'd dare say Mike McCready would be influenced by Shenker too.

On With the Action.  Fuck yeah, now we're talking.  Might be my fav song up to this point besides Rock Bottom.  Schenker destroys this, good Lord.  That solo in the middle, wow.  This whole thing reminds me or Dio era Sabbath too.  Over and Over comes to mind.  What a tune, what a player.

Fool is okay.  Pretty standard but feels a bit filler but maybe cause it comes after Action.

Landscape has a nice feel.  Has that very British vibe once it gets going.  Interesting song really, no real solo either.

I like this one a lot more than Force It.  Feels like an expected continuation in the bands sound but I like the songwriting a lot more here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2020, 07:16:37 PM »
But I think part of it comes from the fact I’m about 10 years older than you.

It's only 5 years, old man. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »
Natural Thing is a great rocker to kick things off.  Great opener.

Loser is a bit weird but I warmed to it by the end.  This actually reminds me of Pearl Jam in parts.

Can You Roll Her blisters, love it and Schenker kills on this.

I liked Belladonna and lol the Maiden vibe is strong here in that riff.  Love the subtle Schenker solo too.

Reasons Love has an awesome riff.  Great driving tempo this one, and love Shenkers tone here.  This has early Dave Murray written all over it.

Highway Lady is a bit different.  Very British and a bit punky.  I actually hear a lot of Pearl Jam in this too.  The 'in my arms' line is so Eddie Vedder. I wonder if they were an influence.  I'd dare say Mike McCready would be influenced by Shenker too.

On With the Action.  Fuck yeah, now we're talking.  Might be my fav song up to this point besides Rock Bottom.  Schenker destroys this, good Lord.  That solo in the middle, wow.  This whole thing reminds me or Dio era Sabbath too.  Over and Over comes to mind.  What a tune, what a player.

Fool is okay.  Pretty standard but feels a bit filler but maybe cause it comes after Action.

Landscape has a nice feel.  Has that very British vibe once it gets going.  Interesting song really, no real solo either.

I like this one a lot more than Force It.  Feels like an expected continuation in the bands sound but I like the songwriting a lot more here.

Awesome notes Kade. Maiden in Belladonna? That's interesting. Funny you mention Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder has a little Phil Mogg in him, I've always thought. Pearl Jam is a band I respect the hell out of. I just wished I liked their music more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2020, 07:26:26 PM »
The intro acoustic guitar.  It's the same as Hallowed or Infinite Dreams style. Think of it with electric guitars and a bit fast.  Same notes and similar patterns.

Yeah, first album that Pearl Jam comes to mind.  Love that band, but that's a different story.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
I'll try to find the source for it, but I'm pretty sure McCready is a BIG UFO fan.

EDIT:  That was easy: https://twitter.com/MikeMcCreadyPJ/status/1294395837032751105?s=20

McCready has been in a side UFO tribute band for almost 20 years.  I guess he's a fan.  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2020, 07:37:23 PM »
So a couple of reasons why I gravitate to NHP.

First, it's my favorite Schenker performance. Sure he's great on all of these classic albums, and he rips it up big time on Obsession, but for me, what he does on this album is truly mesmerizing.

And second, and maybe more important, it's my favorite Mogg performance. I love his voice on this.  He's growing into his voice, and it really resonates with me. His lyrics, as always are amazing.

On With The Action:
"But the minister's starin'
With his Bible in his hand
Was this god's children, he didn't understand"

From Belladonna:
"The open letter just carelessly placed
And you move in silence, the tea so delicately laced"

Martian Landscape"
"So let it be a small haven big in Your heart
Don't let it turn into an nova
Tryin' to climb and climb"

Look, I love Paul Raymond. But Danny's keyboards on Martian Landscape are breathtaking.

Another thing I love about this album, and Lyons's production as a whole, is that he does not hide the bass at all. At times, like in Belladonna, the bass is playing above the background of Shenker, providing the main rhythm.

Kade, you're dead on with the Over And Over analogy with On With The Action. That Schenker riff is downright sinister.

And at 3:34 of Martian Landscape, Schenker comes in with this wicked guitar part, and then majestically carries the song out from there. Amazing.

For Lights Out, Ron Nevison would have a production budget well north of what Leo Lyons had for THREE albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
Here's a killer live version of On With The Action from the Lights Out tour. Paul Raymond on rhythm guitar.
The opening solo is great. Really sets the mood.

https://youtu.be/kLiqLJM_RhQ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2020, 07:43:05 PM »
Another thing I'd add, while Mogg certainly has his moments, many of his lyrics are hidden gems.  I think I've said to myself "wow, that's an interesting lyric" more with UFO than any similar band of the 70's and 80's.