Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143222 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Sharks
« Reply #1505 on: October 27, 2020, 06:46:37 PM »

I can see how some would have issues with the production.  I'm quite liking Schenker here too.  Not feeling the comments that he's phoning things in.  I understand what you guys mean, but he's still doing some great stuff.

I never thought anything of the production. I have always felt it sounded fine to me.

I don't bust out Sharks a lot, but I've given it three solid listens in the last week. I think Schenker can do great stuff in his sleep. It has aged pretty well, I'll say that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1506 on: October 27, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »

I can see how some would have issues with the production.  I'm quite liking Schenker here too.  Not feeling the comments that he's phoning things in.  I understand what you guys mean, but he's still doing some great stuff.

I never thought anything of the production. I have always felt it sounded fine to me.

I don't bust out Sharks a lot, but I've given it three solid listens in the last week. I think Schenker can do great stuff in his sleep. It has aged pretty well, I'll say that.

Yeah all good, I know there were only a brief comment or two on the production.  I'll run through this at least 3 times and then I'm going to go back to Covenant.  Even though I thought it was a little flat, I do have that urge to go back to it.  Those little prog moments here and there tickled my interest enough to persist with it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1507 on: October 27, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
  Those little prog moments here and there tickled my interest enough to persist with it.

But that's one of the reasons I cite for Covenant. They all just "felt" more into it on all fronts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1508 on: October 27, 2020, 07:27:29 PM »
  Those little prog moments here and there tickled my interest enough to persist with it.

But that's one of the reasons I cite for Covenant. They all just "felt" more into it on all fronts.

I can understand that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Covenant
« Reply #1509 on: October 27, 2020, 07:55:31 PM »
I don't want to beat a dead horse, and you like what you like, but what turned you guys off Covenant?

I've been meaning to get back to this Bill but have struggled with answers, so apologies for not answering.  I don't think there was much that really turned me off Covenant but more that WOW is a really fantastic album.  I think Covenant just suffered from coming afterwards.  WOW I felt potential right away and have spun it a lot.  I find the songwriting really good and lots of moments that harken back to old Schenker UFO.  DOS and Venus inparticular are classics and have a real old school UFO vibe but with a more up to date sound, and it's grown really nicely to me.  I think Covenant steps more out of that classic feel and I guess I just feel the melodies and songwriting weren't as strong.  Maybe that's unfair, and it's just different, time will tell.  Saying all that, as I mentioned before, I do have that urge to go back again with some of those little different prog like moments in there, which is a good sign.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1510 on: October 27, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
There is one good thing to look forward to in the Vinnie Era...

The return of Paul Raymond!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1511 on: October 27, 2020, 09:03:08 PM »
Just finishing up Sharks and, it's just kinda there. Very little grabbed me and I was a bit bored. I don't think Phil sounds as good as he did on the last few records. Only thing that really stood out to me was Sea Of Faith, otherwise I'm getting a High Stakes vibe from this album. While I don't think either are bad, I don't think they are particularly great either.

Might be a grower, but for now I'm tepid on this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: October 27, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
Just finishing up Sharks and, it's just kinda there. Very little grabbed me and I was a bit bored. I don't think Phil sounds as good as he did on the last few records. Only thing that really stood out to me was Sea Of Faith, otherwise I'm getting a High Stakes vibe from this album. While I don't think either are bad, I don't think they are particularly great either.

I wonder what I'm missing with this song.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1513 on: October 27, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »

I wonder what I'm missing with this song.

I'm drawn to the contrasting riffs during the verses coupled with the groove Dunbar is playing. I find that really catchy and a toe-tapper.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1514 on: October 27, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
I find it to be the most Schenker-esque.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1515 on: October 27, 2020, 09:17:58 PM »
I don't think Phil sounds as good as he did on the last few records.

A few of you have mentioned how Phil sounds.

I've never picked out anything on his vocals on Sharks before.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1516 on: October 28, 2020, 05:32:40 AM »
A couple of thoughts on a few comments in the last page or so.

I personally don't think Schenker as ever phoned in a guitar note in his life. That dude is obsessed with his guitar and music. Without hesitation, he'll burn down any relationship that gets in the way of what he wants to do, and that includes musically. Still, because he's kind of "out there" his musical ideas don't always resonate. At least with me. But, boy-o-boy, when they do resonate, there's no one like him.

The production of Sharks is probably fine. My first listen was on those cheap Logitech speakers in my work office and for some reason the guitar and vocals was harsh and abrasive. My second listen on my headphones was way better. It actually went the other direction in that listen...it kinda sounded like someone had thrown a towel over the speakers.

Phil just sounds older. He seems to need to stretch his abilities more in Sharks than during Covenant. He's wise enough not to stretch to the point of sounding bad, but it does narrow his range, which narrows the melodies. By now, I assume he just speaks in a monotone like Johnny Cash  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1517 on: October 28, 2020, 06:07:36 AM »
Second half of Sharks was a lot better too.  I like this album.  I'll go back to Covenant tomorrow and reasses.

A couple of thoughts on a few comments in the last page or so.

I personally don't think Schenker as ever phoned in a guitar note in his life. That dude is obsessed with his guitar and music. Without hesitation, he'll burn down any relationship that gets in the way of what he wants to do, and that includes musically. Still, because he's kind of "out there" his musical ideas don't always resonate. At least with me. But, boy-o-boy, when they do resonate, there's no one like him.

The production of Sharks is probably fine. My first listen was on those cheap Logitech speakers in my work office and for some reason the guitar and vocals was harsh and abrasive. My second listen on my headphones was way better. It actually went the other direction in that listen...it kinda sounded like someone had thrown a towel over the speakers.

Phil just sounds older. He seems to need to stretch his abilities more in Sharks than during Covenant. He's wise enough not to stretch to the point of sounding bad, but it does narrow his range, which narrows the melodies. By now, I assume he just speaks in a monotone like Johnny Cash  :biggrin:

The 'burn down any relationship' comment you said, I love so much.  I relate to that so much.  If that's how Schenker is, that makes me a bigger fan in a sick sort of way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1518 on: October 28, 2020, 06:20:47 AM »

So Phil was 54 for Sharks. I think you're going to see this trend unfortunately continue into the Vinnie Era. But live, he's been remarkably consistent. There's a lot of miles on that voice.
But while the vocal range does shrink, the lyrics just keep seeming to get weirder.

Second half of Sharks was a lot better too.  I like this album.  I'll go back to Covenant tomorrow and reasses.

The 'burn down any relationship' comment you said, I love so much.  I relate to that so much.  If that's how Schenker is, that makes me a bigger fan in a sick sort of way.

There's not a lot of Schenker interviews on youtube from back in the day, but there are TONS from the last 10 years. If you want to go down a rabbit hole, watch a few of those.  Hell yes, he is out there. But he's sober, and kind of charming in a way. He really emits so much joy.

There's a lot going on around Sharks. Pete Way's wife dies of an OD between Covenant and Sharks. And Michael is about to lose his wife, house, manager, and suffer a nervous breakdown before moving back to Germany.

There will be a massive Columbia House Record And Tape Club styled record dump tonight!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: October 28, 2020, 07:17:15 AM »
How many cds are you still on the hook for with Columbia House?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1520 on: October 28, 2020, 07:52:01 AM »
 :lol

I switched over to BMG. Much better deal!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1521 on: October 28, 2020, 09:00:15 AM »
I don't want to beat a dead horse, and you like what you like, but what turned you guys off Covenant?

I've been meaning to get back to this Bill but have struggled with answers, so apologies for not answering.  I don't think there was much that really turned me off Covenant but more that WOW is a really fantastic album.  I think Covenant just suffered from coming afterwards.  WOW I felt potential right away and have spun it a lot.  I find the songwriting really good and lots of moments that harken back to old Schenker UFO.  DOS and Venus inparticular are classics and have a real old school UFO vibe but with a more up to date sound, and it's grown really nicely to me.  I think Covenant steps more out of that classic feel and I guess I just feel the melodies and songwriting weren't as strong.  Maybe that's unfair, and it's just different, time will tell.  Saying all that, as I mentioned before, I do have that urge to go back again with some of those little different prog like moments in there, which is a good sign.

I totally get that, because for me, they go in order from best to worst:  WOW, Covenant and Sharks.  Just for me, the falloff between Covenant and Sharks is way steeper than the falloff from WOW to Covenant.    WOW is still the best. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1522 on: October 28, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »
I don't think Phil sounds as good as he did on the last few records.

A few of you have mentioned how Phil sounds.

I've never picked out anything on his vocals on Sharks before.

His voice sounds deeper. Less warmth to it. It's not Coverdale bad by any means, just different.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: October 28, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »

I totally get that, because for me, they go in order from best to worst:  WOW, Covenant and Sharks.  Just for me, the falloff between Covenant and Sharks is way steeper than the falloff from WOW to Covenant.    WOW is still the best.

Now that we can agree on.  WOW is amazing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1524 on: October 28, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »
I think this discussion has passed, but, as I'm listening to UFO live recordings recently, I still think the best of Chapman's era is Headstone Live at Hammersmith 1983. Sure it doesn't have Pete Way (it's Paul Gray on it), but it's really nice recorded, it has 10 Chapman's tracks more Electric Phase and a very solid performance in all songs.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1525 on: October 28, 2020, 07:26:42 PM »
I think this discussion has passed, but, as I'm listening to UFO live recordings recently, I still think the best of Chapman's era is Headstone Live at Hammersmith 1983. Sure it doesn't have Pete Way (it's Paul Gray on it), but it's really nice recorded, it has 10 Chapman's tracks more Electric Phase and a very solid performance in all songs.

It actually does sound pretty good. I like it well enough, but they totally butchered the setlist, leaving out the Making Contact songs. And where in the hell did Lonely Heart come from? :lol

I actually had the original Headstone double album, which was more of a greatest hits album, with some live tracks from Hammersmith. Doing It All For You was one of the songs. It also had songs from the member's other bands . Pretty sure there was a Lonestar track. I have the thing in my attic. I should pull it down.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1526 on: October 28, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
So a package arrived today...

Included...

Be Aware Of Scorpions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jxGQzT-vd8

Released October, 2001

1. No Turning Back
2. My Time's Up
3. Fallen The Love
4. Because I Can
5. How Will You Get Back
6. Blinded BY Technology
7. Age Of Ice
8. Standin' On The Road
9. Sea Of Memory
10. On Your Way
11. Reflection Of Your Heart
12. Roll It Over
13. Eyes Of A Child
14. Ride The Lightning

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Chris Logan-Vocals
Rev Jones-Bass
Jeff Martin-Drums

Arachnophobiac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihnb05H-2Ns

Released June 16, 2003

1. Evermore
2. Illusion
3. Arachnophobiac
4. Rock And Roll Believer
5. Sands Of Time
6. Weathervane
7. Over Now
8. One World
9. Break The Cycle
10. Alive
11. Fatal Strike

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Chris Logan-Vocals
Stu Hamm-Bass
Jeremy Colson-Drums

Jeff Watson (Night Ranger) plays lead guitar on tracks 3, 5, 7 and 9

Two albums with vanilla vocalist Chris Logan. According to Rev Jones, Chris was young and insecure, so he would drink a lot on tour. Basically an all around pain in the ass. One night in I forget where, Europe, Rev punched out, and the band literally threw him off the bus. And the tour as well.
These albums are for completists only. It's Michael, so there's that. Michael would suffer his nervous breakdown wand couldn't finish Arachnaphobiac, so Stadler will be very happy to hear that Jeff Watson comes in and finishes off some very tastey leads.

Remember Michael's acoustic Thank You album? Well, during this time, Michael releases Thank You 2, Thank You 3, and Thank You 4.

$ign Of Four-Dancing With St. Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz4TN3THuPU&list=PLM0QWHFvEjTatO0DeEK2i7JMpSStCbeoD

Released 2002

A quasi solo album/ new band featuring Phil Mogg, Jeff Kollman, Shane Gaalaas, and bassist Jimmy Curtain.

The Plot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9YvhsbHocA&list=PLM0QWHFvEjTbD--zKEFw1WoMTPTiBYWTE

Released 2003

Pete goes to Michael's home studio in Arizona to record what is tp be Pete's second solo album. They decide to make it a band, with drummer Jeff Martin.

Pete Way-Alive In Cleveland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tk5aBbM9Qg&list=PLM0QWHFvEjTaCO6l0aueA7SViHLIWk9lh

Released 2003

Live album featuring tracks from Amphetimine and The Plot. I love this album. Features the same lineup as Amphetamine, guitarist Walt James and drummer Scot Phillips.

Waysted-Back From The Dead

https://open.spotify.com/album/49KYp5K2aqgoRBmwVlasBx?si=Dd9Vs63LRLSJt73XeURsOg

Released 2004

Pete reunites with Fin for a new Waysted album. At the last minute they record with guitarist Paul George, after demoing the album with Paul Chapman. Paul was quite pissed and has released some of his demos.
The demo version of Price Of Love kicks the shit out of the album version! Price Of Love

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1527 on: October 28, 2020, 07:36:10 PM »
Now that is cleaning out the closet. Lots of activity in the early 2000's. It was a great time to be a UFO fan, honestly.

Would love if you guys drop the needle on some of it.

If you choose to not check anything out, that's cool too. Again, I really wanted to let everyone catch their breath this week, and then it's on to Vinnie Moore on Monday. Running concurrent to the Vinnie Era, Michael really breaks loose with a ton of material.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: October 28, 2020, 08:05:11 PM »
I'm surprised you didn't own everything Schenker wise already Tim.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1529 on: October 28, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »

It actually does sound pretty good. I like it well enough, but they totally butchered the setlist, leaving out the Making Contact songs. And where in the hell did Lonely Heart come from? :lol

It's true! Also Eletric Phase and Doing It All for You: :omg:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ufo/1983/hammersmith-odeon-london-england-1bd8e964.html
Well, they must be from a different show (I'll check the booklet). So, if they were selected from different shows, I think they should made it a double LP, with all the songs from Chapman's era played on those tours from 80 to 83.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1530 on: October 28, 2020, 08:11:26 PM »

Um..that picture was a joke. ;D

I have his entire discography on my iPod. The only things I haven't personally paid for were the 3 other Thank You albums, and he did one with an orchestra.

I did buy the Contraband cassette back when it came out (90/91), but have never bothered to replace it on CD, and I know he did some album with a chick. I don't have that, but it is on Spotify.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1531 on: October 28, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ufo/1983/hammersmith-odeon-london-england-1bd8e964.html
Well, they must be from a different show (I'll check the booklet). So, if they were selected from different shows, I think they should made it a double LP, with all the songs from Chapman's era played on those tours from 80 to 83.

I'll grab the album tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: October 28, 2020, 08:18:23 PM »

Um..that picture was a joke. ;D

I have his entire discography on my iPod. The only things I haven't personally paid for were the 3 other Thank You albums, and he did one with an orchestra.

I did buy the Contraband cassette back when it came out (90/91), but have never bothered to replace it on CD, and I know he did some album with a chick. I don't have that, but it is on Spotify.

Err.....Don't mind me.....carry on then.  :\

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1533 on: October 28, 2020, 08:24:42 PM »

I'll grab the album tomorrow.

Well, the booklet insists that the recording location for all the tracks was 15th April 1983 Hammersmith Odeon, London.
And the crazy thing is that, the Dave Ling writing that is also on the booklet, confirms the setlist from setlist.fm. Go figure...
I'll check the Sign of 4 album :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1534 on: October 28, 2020, 08:30:01 PM »

Yes, even though I live on a side street in a small town, that is not my real address. :lol

The title track is really nice. And Clap Hands has a really cool beginning part that you would never hear in UFO. I also really love Seems To Me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1535 on: October 28, 2020, 08:43:45 PM »

I agree with Wolf obviously

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1536 on: October 28, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »

Yes, even though I live on a side street in a small town, that is not my real address. :lol

The title track is really nice. And Clap Hands has a really cool beginning part that you would never hear in UFO. I also really love Seems To Me.

:lol  probably should have read that first.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1537 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »
Jason too. :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1538 on: October 28, 2020, 09:22:48 PM »
I bought that Waysted album but haven't listened to it yet. That will be next on my list.

I had checked out some stuff from The Plot and the thing that stuck out was how crappy the singer was. Then I found out it was Pete.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: October 28, 2020, 09:38:11 PM »
I had checked out some stuff from The Plot and the thing that stuck out was how crappy the singer was. Then I found out it was Pete.